Procus

Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss

Advertisers... Networks... Cable Providers... Localities...

All of these are leveraged heavily on cheap debt and the NFL... these growth models often depend on an exponential curve to remain viable... so even an "S" curve is extremely problematic.

I have personally thought that the NFL peaked almost 2 years ago... I think the proliferation of Fantasy Football was the last gasp, and when an employee of one Fantasy firm won the jackpot on the other Fantasy firm, that death rattle started.  I do not know how this shakes out, but you've got the most profoundly ornate/expensive stadiums now in the works while state and local budgets remain in trouble.

In the meantime, Millennials just don't have the love of sports that older generations had... the PEDs... the off the field legal issues... CTE issue is a problem... and adding political issues to the game is a big turn off to some of the most ardent NFL fans...

This looks like a bubble that is turning bad with Roger Goodell, the banker, at the helm.

8 hours ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Damn, I wish I saw this last night. I would've tried it out to see how good the stream was. 

It was fantastic, crystal clear and flawless

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, downundermike said:

Now post the numbers of people cutting the cord, there is a direct correlation 

People cutting the cord, aren't part of the Nielsen Ratings, so I don't know that cord cutting has any baring on the ratings. I'm not part of a Nielsen Household either, though I did have the opportunity about 10 years ago. So if I don't watch any NFL, I don't know that I affect the numbers at all either.

Personally, I used to watch every game that came on in my area. When there were two games on at the same time, I'd have one game on one TV (sound muted) and the other game on (sound on). With the idiots protesting the National Anthem though, and bringing politics into my escape from politics, I've stopped watching around 90% of all non-Eagles games. When the players start burning the American Flag pre-game, then I stop watching all NFL games and all NFL gear that I have gets destroyed.  

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

People cutting the cord, aren't part of the Nielsen Ratings, so I don't know that cord cutting has any baring on the ratings

So this is not really a rating of all Americans who are not watching, just a select group who are not watching.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So this is not really a rating of all Americans who are not watching, just a select group who are not watching.

It's like political polls, they use some kind of formula to get a national average. I don't know how many Nielsen Households there are in the nation, but assume 500,000 or 1,000,000 (I'm probably WAY off, but I'm sure the numbers are out there).

They get the data from their Nielsen set top boxes, plug the data into their formula and come up with what we know as the ratings. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that gives a general picture. Like with political polls, they call 1,432 households in a locality and then use their formulas to project it for the city/state/nation.

There's other polls out there though that show this issue to be a big one (potentially) for the NFL. I just saw a Yahoo poll that said that something like 77% of respondents said that they will watch less football due to the Anthem Insults, and in calculating that 77%, they only used people that said that they were football fans.

I don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but for me, I'm definitely watching far less NFL since week 1 of 2016 and I don't know that I'll ever get back to the peak of my viewership.  

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm definitely watching far less NFL since week 1 of 2016 and I don't know that I'll ever get back to the peak of my viewership.  

Meetoo. My protest is: I only watch the Eagles game and no others.

The only post-game show I'll watch is CSN right after the game with host

Michael Barkann, the 'Governator' Ed Rendell, Ray Diddy & Seth Joyner.  

16 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

People cutting the cord, aren't part of the Nielsen Ratings, so I don't know that cord cutting has any baring on the ratings. I'm not part of a Nielsen Household either, though I did have the opportunity about 10 years ago. So if I don't watch any NFL, I don't know that I affect the numbers at all either.

Personally, I used to watch every game that came on in my area. When there were two games on at the same time, I'd have one game on one TV (sound muted) and the other game on (sound on). With the idiots protesting the National Anthem though, and bringing politics into my escape from politics, I've stopped watching around 90% of all non-Eagles games. When the players start burning the American Flag pre-game, then I stop watching all NFL games and all NFL gear that I have gets destroyed.  

Whoa whoa whoa. Players are burning the flag pregame? 

Im praying this isn't true

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

I think he was saying if it ever got to that. 

I watch a lot less football and it has nothing to do with the protests. I just have less time and other things that are more important.

9 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

There have been people stiring the pot with fake pictures though:

seahawksburningimage.jpg

Lame as that may be...

3 hours ago, boogyman said:

I watch a lot less football and it has nothing to do with the protests. I just have less time and other things that are more important.

Yeah, I always just assumed that a lot less football goes hand in hand with a lot more responsibilities.

28 minutes ago, Quiet Boy said:

There have been people stiring the pot with fake pictures though:

seahawksburningimage.jpg

Lame as that may be...

People actually fell for that?

*Sigh*

On 9/29/2017 at 6:40 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's like political polls, they use some kind of formula to get a national average. I don't know how many Nielsen Households there are in the nation, but assume 500,000 or 1,000,000 (I'm probably WAY off, but I'm sure the numbers are out there).

They get the data from their Nielsen set top boxes, plug the data into their formula and come up with what we know as the ratings. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that gives a general picture. Like with political polls, they call 1,432 households in a locality and then use their formulas to project it for the city/state/nation.

There's other polls out there though that show this issue to be a big one (potentially) for the NFL. I just saw a Yahoo poll that said that something like 77% of respondents said that they will watch less football due to the Anthem Insults, and in calculating that 77%, they only used people that said that they were football fans.

I don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but for me, I'm definitely watching far less NFL since week 1 of 2016 and I don't know that I'll ever get back to the peak of my viewership.  

The Thursday night games this season aren't the garbage the NFL has shoved down our throats the past few seasons, so the league is aware of a problem.  If the NFL really wants to become a global market, have a real NFL rivalry in London.  Don't keep sending the Jaguars across the pond, even English NFL fans are probably growing tired of seeing that team every season.   Give the Cowboys, and Redskins a bye (so they can rest, and adjust) the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and make that the Noon EST game instead of the traditional game in Detroit.  It would be 5pm in London, so it would work.  The 4PM game EST is from Detroit.  The traditional games still take place, but are reversed.  

As for the anthem, I never watched it to begin with, way before this Kaepernick garbage.  It was fodder at 12:55PM for a 1PM game.  I usually went to the bathroom.  I don't care what players do, this is much ado about nothing.  The people who are having problems with this are not NFL fans who are desperate to win their first championship in 57 years.   You can burn your Steelers gear on your Weber grill because "your" team has won two SB's in the last 20 years.   I would never kneel in a public stadium, and if I were attending an NFL game I would stand, and respect the anthem/flag.  Yet at home, not worth the time.   Is that worse than kneeling if you don't watch it?   The reason the NFL is twisted into knots over this non-issue is in 2009 the US Military gave the NFL a lucrative deal to feature the armed services at every NFL pre-game ceremony.   

1 hour ago, Iggles said:

Yet at home, not worth the time.

At an event, there is a specified code of conduct (quoted below). At home watching it on TV, that code of conduct does not apply.

One addition to the below code of conduct, in 2008, Congress passed a law authorizing Veterans and military members not in uniform, to salute during the anthem.

I don't care about who's twisted in knots, who got contracts or any of that, but it bothers me that the flag, the Anthem and as such, the military (past and present) are spat upon by idiot, spoiled, overpaid idiots who play games for tens of millions of dollars. Meanwhile, those who serve the flag and whose caskets are draped by the flag, barely get by but still show up every day, and every day stand at attention and salute the flag... maybe even twice per day depending on where they are at 6am and 5pm every day.

NFL owners have given their teams permission to do what they're doing, so those teams have that right. NFL owners will have to pay the price though if large segments of the public turn their backs on the NFL, and if that happens for long enough, the players will pay that price too.

I have no idea if my viewership matters or makes any difference to the ratings, but I no longer feel any desire to watch non-Eagles games and I don't anticipate that desire returning to any great extent. That is a direct affect of the 'protests'.

§171. Conduct during playing

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

One of my favorite videos on all of YouTube sort of fits all of this, but also doesn't. It's not the national anthem, but it is about respect for the flag, regardless of what's happening 'in the moment'... even while attending a Robin Williams comedy show.

6 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

*Sigh*

They fell for his arrest story originally as well so there's that.  

as I stated earlier .. the commercial breaks and them going into the game .. I really hate that you come back from break and its already 3rd down.  But now they are making such a big deal about the anthem  its getting ridiculous  .  Enough is enough already .... I hope the NFL does something , because I am really tired of politics not just in NFL  but everywhere 

14 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

*Sigh*

people in general are pretty Fing stupid .... a special kind of stupid .. I like to call stoopid

20 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

people in general are pretty Fing stupid .... a special kind of stupid .. I like to call stoopid

Agree, there's no use in sugarcoating it. Annoys me when someone tries to be a pansy, pie in the sky, optimist.

Anyone that thinks the ratings slide has more to do with Kaepernick, the protest, the elections, etc. is not too bright. 

That effects less than 5% of the people that watch football.

Ratings are down, due to streaming, and people tuning out because of stoppage commercials, etc. It's why the NFL has made a move to try and speed the games up this year.

16 hours ago, Iggles said:

The Thursday night games this season aren't the garbage the NFL has shoved down our throats the past few seasons, so the league is aware of a problem.  If the NFL really wants to become a global market, have a real NFL rivalry in London.  Don't keep sending the Jaguars across the pond, even English NFL fans are probably growing tired of seeing that team every season.   Give the Cowboys, and Redskins a bye (so they can rest, and adjust) the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and make that the Noon EST game instead of the traditional game in Detroit.  It would be 5pm in London, so it would work.  The 4PM game EST is from Detroit.  The traditional games still take place, but are reversed.  

As for the anthem, I never watched it to begin with, way before this Kaepernick garbage.  It was fodder at 12:55PM for a 1PM game.  I usually went to the bathroom.  I don't care what players do, this is much ado about nothing.  The people who are having problems with this are not NFL fans who are desperate to win their first championship in 57 years.   You can burn your Steelers gear on your Weber grill because "your" team has won two SB's in the last 20 years.   I would never kneel in a public stadium, and if I were attending an NFL game I would stand, and respect the anthem/flag.  Yet at home, not worth the time.   Is that worse than kneeling if you don't watch it?   The reason the NFL is twisted into knots over this non-issue is in 2009 the US Military gave the NFL a lucrative deal to feature the armed services at every NFL pre-game ceremony.   

It's NOT a Holiday, but a regular business day in England.  For it to work, you'd have to:

1. Have the Lions Game start at Noon as it used to actually be prior to the merger (pre-merger, the Thanksgiving day games were Noon in Detroit and 3:30 PM ET in Dallas).

2. Make Redskins-Cowboys a 3:30 PM ET (8:30 PM local time in London) kickoff.

You might have to make it where the two teams play back-to-back Thursdays with the second meeting the following Thursday (Thursday after Thanksgiving is always between teams that played on Thanksgiving).  Otherwise, this might be an incentive to add two additional weeks to the season by giving all teams three byes, with at least one bye and sometimes two tied to mid-week games.

What that WOULD allow is for NBC to actually do a doubleheader on Thanksgiving night with the first game at 7:00 PM ET (7:05 kickoff) and the second game following late local news (airing early in the eastern half of the country) at 11:00 PM ET/8:00 PM ET.  Yes, NBC would have to pre-empt its late night lineup and have a game run until around 2:15-2:30 AM in the east, but what would draw a better rating that night (especially since now you have many people who actually go shopping on Thanksgiving night, often not getting back home until after Midnight)?

A better option if you want to have a London game on Thanksgiving weekend would be to do this:

Make the preceding Thursday a doubleheader on NFL Network that would include both teams playing in the London game the following week.  This might mean you have a 10:15 PM ET game in the Central time zone kicking off at 9:15 PM locally.

The London Game is on "Black Friday," kicking off at most likely 2:00 PM ET (7:00 PM local time in London), as networks CAN broadcast an NFL game on Friday nationally as long as it is scheduled to end before 6:00 PM ET between as noted teams that played the preceding Thursday.  Teams playing that game don't necessarily get a bye but do get two extra days before their next game (three if the next game is Monday night). 

I'm finding that I'm enjoying Sundays a lot more now that I only watch the Eagles games and am ignoring the rest. Every fan across the league should do that. Watch your favorite team, when possible but don't watch any other NFL broadcast.

NBC was so proud to show a closeup Michael Bennett sitting on the bench. I turned off a game that I was 52/48 on watching anyway.

There are millions of people who are 52/48 on watching games.