Procus

Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss

31 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm finding that I'm enjoying Sundays a lot more now that I only watch the Eagles games and am ignoring the rest. Every fan across the league should do that. Watch your favorite team, when possible but don't watch any other NFL broadcast.

Why would I deny myself the enjoyment? I just overlook the political bull**** and concentrate on the games

Sigh... NFL still gonna make 10+ billion dollars this year. That being said WHO in their right minds STILL pays $400 for a direct tv package and or just watch whatever game  is on for cable when you can watch EVERY game without commercials for a bill a year? The problem isnt the actual ratings its how the actual product is being consumed in 2017. . 

Also, LMAO at the comedy some of y'all provided. 

47 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

Why would I deny myself the enjoyment? I just overlook the political bull**** and concentrate on the games

At 0-4, I guess you have to enjoy vicariously through other games, so you're excused.

21 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

At 0-4, I guess you have to enjoy vicariously through other games, so you're excused.

:lol: a**

I was at the garage again. I did listen to part of the game where Merrill called Blounts long ***ed run but I was busy most of the day.. 

The networks must be taking a hit in their viewership, enough so that they're starting to cut the National Anthem out of the broadcast. From what I've been told (I haven't read the articles myself), the players aren't happy about that.

7 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Does watching red zone factor into the ratings?

I think everything outside of illegal streaming is actually factored into the ratings.

You think the networks would allow channels/streaming without getting a piece?

While people are busier now and many are going to illegal streams and that all probably makes up the majority of the dip, there are legitimately people making plans for Sunday and simply checking the score instead of watching. 

Is the protests the big reason?

No. It's a combination. Just one more straw on the camels back.

25 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

I think everything outside of illegal streaming is actually factored into the ratings.

You think the networks would allow channels/streaming without getting a piece?

While people are busier now and many are going to illegal streams and that all probably makes up the majority of the dip, there are legitimately people making plans for Sunday and simply checking the score instead of watching. 

Is the protests the big reason?

No. It's a combination. Just one more straw on the camels back.

I ask because there are no commercials, and the main reason ratings exist is advertisment.

7 hours ago, boogyman said:

Does watching red zone factor into the ratings?

I was interested in that questions as well so I started to look around and I found this article

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2013/09/09/is-red-zone-hurting-nfls-network-ratings/#36f2e8503e86

Perhaps you’re one of millions who settled in to watch the early games on NFL’s kickoff week on Sunday. There were ten of them in all, broadcast regionally on 

CBS and Fox (the unbalanced schedule had only two late afternoon games, highlighted by Fox’s marquee showing of Green Bay at San Francisco; the other four opening week games were spread among Thursday, Sunday and Monday nights).

Here in New York, fans got plenty of excitement as Jets-Bucs on Fox and Patriots-Bills on CBS both came down to last second field goals (New York and New England pulled out the wins). Advertisers paid a reported $400,000 to $600,000 for 30-second spots for Sunday’s afternoon lineup. But did you watch the commericals? Or did you do what one fan commented on in this modern landscape of fantasy sports and all-consuming game-tracking: switch over to Red Zone, the NFL’s popular live look-in channel that darts around to all the games to bring viewers scoring chances?

"I haven’t watched a commercial on CBS of Fox since Red Zone was born,” noted the fan, who didn’t particularly want to be identified.  That’s only one person, and the league doesn’t release Red Zone ratings. But network television ratings, along with attendance, have been edging down for the NFL, despite the ongoing strength of the league in winning its time slots. The 2012 season saw nearly a 5% decline in viewership from 2011, according to Nielsen numbers cited by AdWeek, to about 16.6 million viewers per game.

Not that anyone is panicking. Adweek has estimated that Red Zone now reaches about 3.5 million homes – not yet enough distribution to effect CBS and Fox ratings very severely. The two networks, along with NBC, which televises Sunday primetime games, recently re-upped with the league for a collective $3 billion per year in rights fees from 2014 to 2022, a big 60% jump from the previous contracts. Some industry followers believe they would have paid even more if not for the Red Zone factor, which, if true, would mean that the networks are essentially compensated for acting as the production arm for Red Zone, since it’s their games that the channel is looking in on (an NFL spokesman says the league doesn’t compensate the networks directly with Red Zone subscription revenue).

But the gradually changing nature of fans’ viewing habits do need to be managed.  Many fans now follow their fantasy teams as much their home teams. When you’re at the game, you’re missing the other games, a quandry that ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt recently analyzed.  Sometimes it’s not enough to wire the stadium with Wi-Fi, as most now do. The Jacksonville Jaguars considered a move to show Red Zone on the stadium video board this year. Ultimately, the team settled on creating NFL’s first-ever "Fan Cave,” a 7,000 square foot lounge sitting atop the south end zone with Wi-Fi and 18 flat screen TVs that include Red Zone access. Maybe Jaguar fans are more inclined than others to spend their time at the stadium following other games. But maybe it’s a sign of things to come elsewhere.

As for the network advertisers, experts say the increased exposure of the NFL from Red Zone and other modern mechanisms like mobile devices should ultimately work to their advantage. "The more screens the better, you’re getting greater overall viewership,” says Lee Berke, a New York-based sports media consultant. Lower viewership for commercials on a network telecast can be balanced by sponsored scoreboards, on-screen graphics and banner ads on mobile streams. DirecTV customers who subscribe to Sunday Ticket might tune in to a particular game they happened upon during a Red Zone check in.

Sponsors can still get the same bang for their NFL bucks. They just need to spread them around a little bit more.

The thing about this article is that 'The 2012 season saw nearly a 5% decline in viewership from 2011, according to Nielsen numbers cited by AdWeek, to about 16.6 million viewers per game.'

Which means the decline started a long time ago - Here is also another article from 2013 that is talking about the decline of TV as a whole

http://www.businessinsider.com/cord-cutters-and-the-death-of-tv-2013-11

39 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

The thing about this article is that 'The 2012 season saw nearly a 5% decline in viewership from 2011, according to Nielsen numbers cited by AdWeek, to about 16.6 million viewers per game.'

Which means the decline started a long time ago - Here is also another article from 2013 that is talking about the decline of TV as a whole

http://www.businessinsider.com/cord-cutters-and-the-death-of-tv-2013-11

That’s obviously incorrect, ratings are only down because of protests

4 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

I was interested in that questions as well so I started to look around and I found this article

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2013/09/09/is-red-zone-hurting-nfls-network-ratings/#36f2e8503e86

I did the same research and read that article. But using 2012 gives us dated info. I bet the number of people using red zone is much higher. Especially when your team is not playing. 

Before red zone I used to watch whatever game was on when the birds were now playing. Often times flipping between games. Now I watch red zone during those times. If the ratings are not being released by the league they can't be counted obviously. Between this and illegal streams it could account for a lot of the documented decline in ratings

On 9/17/2017 at 6:31 AM, Erie said:

I have friends who are boycotting the NFL because they are convinced that Kaep is being blackballed from the league.  And then there's Procus' conviction that the national anthem protests are provoking boycotts as well (I will point that Procus posts here and so it's not unreasonable to think that he is not participating in the boycott himself). That said, I think the declining ratings are caused by multiple factors. I suspect the largest reason is the NFL's slow transition to affordable cell/tablet based viewing. But that's a suspicion. I have no stats. 

If any of that were really a factor, you'd see it in the attendance #'s, but attendance is fine other than the numerous fiascos in California.  Of all the states that might be boycotting games over the protests, its prolly not Cali.  The ratings are easily explained also, the cord cutting is obvious and has affected all the sports.  My pet theory is we are also seeing a huge ratings correction on bad games due to habit changes in Fantasy football.  FF had a way of helping bad games get good ratings, it was the driving force behind the breakneck ratings of the past decade.  But people seem to prefer to follow their FF team on their APP nowadays.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:14 PM, boogyman said:

I did the same research and read that article. But using 2012 gives us dated info. I bet the number of people using red zone is much higher. Especially when your team is not playing. 

Before red zone I used to watch whatever game was on when the birds were now playing. Often times flipping between games. Now I watch red zone during those times. If the ratings are not being released by the league they can't be counted obviously. Between this and illegal streams it could account for a lot of the documented decline in ratings

Great point.  If your team is not on and you just want to watch some football/follow FF, then highlight surfing might be better than "watching whatever game is on".

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The networks must be taking a hit in their viewership, enough so that they're starting to cut the National Anthem out of the broadcast.

Which is what I said they should be doing last year from the very start.

From what I've been told (I haven't read the articles myself), the players aren't happy about that.

Breaks my heart . . . NOT!!

Now STFU and play football!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Random people on the TV that outside of how well they can play a children's game I literally don't care about them as people at all, have different beliefs than I do, I need to take it personally and not watch the game because that'll show them what my beliefs are! People with different beliefs than me should just stop demonstrating anything!

This whole thing is such a non issue. If the players instead found a way to show excessive patriotism and/or go out of their way to show support, despite people saying politics has no place in football, no one would be complaining even in the slightest.

All this shows is immaturity to be able to accept the beliefs of other people. It's not a hard concept. This planet has 6 billion people all raised differently with different beliefs. Other people will think differently. The sooner that's accepted, the better the planet overall will be. 

That's kind of it. 

This is nearly as silly as the people who whenever someone states how they feel about something going on, they are immediately labeled liberal or conservative despite the situation having absolutely nothing to do with politics. 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, Wallyhorse said:

Of course they would.

The NY Daily News is a Liberal shill and the majority of NY city-folk are Libs. 

56 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Of course they would.

Yeah! Liberal! Conservative! Take that!

8 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Of course they would.

...Did you literally not read the post above you, or was it just something that was done to show the clarity of my example?

On 10/7/2017 at 0:43 AM, AmericanEagle77 said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Random people on the TV that outside of how well they can play a children's game I literally don't care about them as people at all, have different beliefs than I do, I need to take it personally and not watch the game because that'll show them what my beliefs are! People with different beliefs than me should just stop demonstrating anything!

This whole thing is such a non issue. If the players instead found a way to show excessive patriotism and/or go out of their way to show support, despite people saying politics has no place in football, no one would be complaining even in the slightest.

All this shows is immaturity to be able to accept the beliefs of other people. It's not a hard concept. This planet has 6 billion people all raised differently with different beliefs. Other people will think differently. The sooner that's accepted, the better the planet overall will be. 

That's kind of it. 

This is nearly as silly as the people who whenever someone states how they feel about something going on, they are immediately labeled liberal or conservative despite the situation having absolutely nothing to do with politics. 

...Like dude, you literally just made my point one post under mine while quoting a completely different post. I've never had this happen before. I'm speechless.

Line in the sand drawn:

If there is anything disrespecting the flag, then we will not play. Period. We're going to respect the flag and I'm going to create the perception of it.

We cannot in anyway give the implication that we tolerate disrespecting the flag. We know that there is a serious debate in this country about those issues, but there is no question in my mind, that the [NFL] and the Dallas Cowboys are going to stand up for the flag. -- Jerry Jones

3 hours ago, Quiet Boy said:

Line in the sand drawn:

So if Elliott, Dak and half the o line did it they wouldn't play? I call BS