xzmattzx

Chargers back to San Diego?

Wow! If that's true and happens then I'm not even sure what to say... What a shambles for everyone involved. LA wanted a team back yet are unhappy with the teams they have and aren't getting behind them? What exactly did they want? 

I mean I for one thought it was a real shame that the Chargers just SD in the first place. Especially with no stadium ready for them in LA and having to play at the StubHub but you can't give up on things that easily? 

9 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

The Chargers were begging to get into the LA market

Spanos flipped when the taxpayers of San Diego voted down a tax increase to fund a new stadium. It's going to be hilarious if he has to tuck his tail between his legs and go back.

I think the days of public money funding sports stadiums is winding to a close... and rightfully so.

2 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Spanos flipped when the taxpayers of San Diego voted down a tax increase to fund a new stadium. It's going to be hilarious if he has to tuck his tail between his legs and go back.

I think the days of public money funding sports stadiums is winding to a close... and rightfully so.

I don't blame taxpayers. I feel if owners want a new stadium, they should pay for it, not anyone else. They need to stop being greedy.

Spanos botched the move by bailing on San Diego too early. Hindsight is they should have stayed lame duck in San Diego until a proper new stadium is ready. (This plan seems to be working ok for the Raiders). Last week was a mistake playing a home game in a soccer stadium too small to host a NFL team. They raised ticket prices extraordinarily high in response to selling less seats. That plan failed. Now it's a lose/lose situation after Spanos burned bridges in San Diego.  If they force the Chargers back to San Diego, I feel it is only going to be temporary.

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wow! If that's true and happens then I'm not even sure what to say... What a shambles for everyone involved. LA wanted a team back yet are unhappy with the teams they have and aren't getting behind them? What exactly did they want? 

It's not that LA wanted a team (let alone two), it was network executives in my opinion that were (at least behind closed doors) demanding the NFL move a team to LA going all the way back to when the Rams and Raiders left after the 1994 season.  Networks want to be able to have stars of their shows "be seen at the game," which mainly would attract female viewers, many of whom watch Lakers (and now Clippers) games on TNT/ABC/ESPN just to see who is there.  If the Rams move last year had been done earlier, I suspect the Giants-Rams game that was played in London would have instead been the Week 3 Sunday nighter and home opener for the Rams so NBC could have had all of the stars of their shows there.  

What is forgotten is that LA has been a LAKERS town first and foremost dating all the way back to the "showtime" era of the 1980's and has been the one city where the NBA trumps the NFL.  

LA was/is a lucrative place to move because of the TV market, but it's not because of getting women to watch so they can look for celebrities during the game.  If that was the case, playing in a little soccer stadium wouldn't be an option.  Why aren't there celebrity cameos and at games in NYC and Miami already, which have celebrities too, and never lost their teams?

Besides, women already watch the NFL now.  Did you notice that the pink gear has been subsiding in 2016, and even 2015?  Speculation is because the NFL has already maximized the female viewing audience, and so pushing pink gear ad nauseam is no longer a good way to bring in more female viewers.  It was all really a money-grab from the start (which was obvious when it was revealed several years ago that only 4% of revenue from pink NFL gear was going to breast cancer research).  Since they pushed for more female viewers already, why would they think a team in LA would be some magic bullet?

No, I don't buy that either. I know a lot of women who love NFL Football (for the football) and to suggest that women could only be attracted to watch so that they could see a celebrity or two, is kind of demeaning to women.

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

No, I don't buy that either. I know a lot of women who love NFL Football (for the football) and to suggest that women could only be attracted to watch so that they could see a celebrity or two, is kind of demeaning to women.

Of course lots of women watch the NFL and have for MANY years in a lot of cases:  That will be and always will continue to be the case.  

The ones I'm talking about are those who barely watch sports if at all otherwise and mainly watch Lakers games because you always get a lot of celebs at those games (and as noted, also now the case with the Clippers).  They are the ones network execs want to get with an NFL team in LA that celebs will go to.  

54 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

Chargers might not be going back to San Diego after all...

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/22/16352428/chargers-los-angeles-san-diego-relocation-rumor

That makes more sense.  Too many issues there:

What I would have done if I were Goodell would have made it worthwhile for Dean Spanos to essentially take over the Rams and swap franchises with Stan Kronke (but with both owners taking what would have been their former franchises names with them) in the following manner:

What is currently the Rams would have stayed in St. Louis and continued to play in the Edward Jones Dome, but would have become the St. Louis Chargers and moved to the AFC West under Spanos's ownership.

What is currently the Chargers would have moved to Los Angeles, become the LA Rams and moved to the NFC West under Kronke's ownership.  

This also would have allowed the Raiders to potentially move back to LA and move to the new stadium in Inglewood with the Rams.

10 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Of course lots of women watch the NFL and have for MANY years in a lot of cases:  That will be and always will continue to be the case.  

The ones I'm talking about are those who barely watch sports if at all otherwise and mainly watch Lakers games because you always get a lot of celebs at those games (and as noted, also now the case with the Clippers).  They are the ones network execs want to get with an NFL team in LA that celebs will go to.  

Aren't there celebrities at NFL games already, such as when one of the NYC teams hosts a game, or at Cowboys games?

What kind of increase in female viewership would there be if there's a few celebrities at a football game?  As has been pointed out, the NFL thinks that the return-on-investment for trying to get women to watch has matured.  They got any fickle women watching by having the players wear pink gear.

If women would watch a game just to wait for celebrity shots, why can't they just get that with TMZ, which specializes in that?

I think you're seeing way too much into this.  The number of women - or men - who would watch something that they are not interested in for a few hours, just for 20-30 seconds of a shot of a celebrity in between plays, is probably close to 0.  No one wastes their time like that.

1 hour ago, xzmattzx said:

Aren't there celebrities at NFL games already, such as when one of the NYC teams hosts a game, or at Cowboys games?

What kind of increase in female viewership would there be if there's a few celebrities at a football game?  As has been pointed out, the NFL thinks that the return-on-investment for trying to get women to watch has matured.  They got any fickle women watching by having the players wear pink gear.

If women would watch a game just to wait for celebrity shots, why can't they just get that with TMZ, which specializes in that?

I think you're seeing way too much into this.  The number of women - or men - who would watch something that they are not interested in for a few hours, just for 20-30 seconds of a shot of a celebrity in between plays, is probably close to 0.  No one wastes their time like that.

They have done it for years on Lakers (and now Clippers) games on TNT/ABC/ESPN.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:22 AM, toolg said:

Spanos botched the move by bailing on San Diego too early. Hindsight is they should have stayed lame duck in San Diego until a proper new stadium is ready. (This plan seems to be working ok for the Raiders). Last week was a mistake playing a home game in a soccer stadium too small to host a NFL team. They raised ticket prices extraordinarily high in response to selling less seats. That plan failed. Now it's a lose/lose situation after Spanos burned bridges in San Diego.  If they force the Chargers back to San Diego, I feel it is only going to be temporary.

No kidding.  I checked prices last week.  Lowest was $250.  Screw that.  I'll stay home and watch.  

9 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

They have done it for years on Lakers (and now Clippers) games on TNT/ABC/ESPN.

Done what?  Shown celebrities?  Who cares?  They do it for Cowboys games too.  How many women do you know who watch Lakers games for 10-second snippets of Jack Nicholson or the Kardashians at a basketball game?

6 minutes ago, westcoast_cj said:

No kidding.  I checked prices last week.  Lowest was $250.  Screw that.  I'll stay home and watch.  

And this is one reason why I would have let the Dolphins move their game with the Saints back from London to Miami because of Irma while moving Eagles-Chargers to London to replace it (and compensating the Chargers and Eagles for the late switch while also making it so the Chargers stayed in London after the game to practice for the Giants in Week 5 and worked on moving another Chargers game later this season if possible to the Rose Bowl and allow people who had tickets for Eagles-Chargers to exchange such for that game since the Rose Bowl has of course a far larger capacity.

2 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

Done what?  Shown celebrities?  Who cares?  They do it for Cowboys games too.  How many women do you know who watch Lakers games for 10-second snippets of Jack Nicholson or the Kardashians at a basketball game?

I've seen that actually a few times. That's the belief the network execs I believe have with wanting teams in LA.

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

I've seen that actually a few times. That's the belief the network execs I believe have with wanting teams in LA.

Everyone knows that they show celebrities.  This is nothing new, and it doesn't just happen in Los Angeles for Lakers games.  They're always showing celebrities like Jessica Simpson, George W. Bush, and others at Cowboys games.  They show people like Bill Murray at Cubs games.  The Cubs, incidentally, usually have a celebrity lead "Take Me Out To The Ballgame", which is much more than a 10-second clip of a movie star sitting in a chair.  But people don't tune into Cubs games to see who will sing during the 7th inning stretch.  No one is tuning into Cowboys games, Giants games, Dolphins games, and I would bet even Lakers games, just to see who attended the game.

I think the network executives are most concerned about their core viewers: men ages 18-54.  They were interested in increasing the female viewership about 10 years ago, and the league thinks they have maximized female viewership already.  The league is now trying to maximize global viewership.  No one is concentrating on viewership of a fringe group, like women who don't like football.

I think the league sees the 20 million people that live around LA... It's a huge market. That is why they want a team there.

Indeed I've watched plenty if Lakers games with girls and they didn't give a flying crap about celebrities at the game they wanted me to turn it off. Lol