heyeaglefn

Patriots trade Jimmy Garoppolo to SF for 2nd Round Pick.

Recommended Posts

The 49'ers are an absolute joke of an organization, Bellicheat fleeced them for yet another system QB. This move makes zero sense as they are in full rebuild mode and will be in play for a high 1st round pick next draft. Why not just hold out and target Mayfield? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Garappolo is good, but they have to pay him 20+ million next year.

They paid a high price for the right to pay a high price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, birdman said:

The 49'ers are an absolute joke of an organization, Bellicheat fleeced them for yet another system QB. This move makes zero sense as they are in full rebuild mode and will be in play for a high 1st round pick next draft. Why not just hold out and target Mayfield? 

Mayfield isn't an NFL QB imo. The QBs this year don't look great. It was either do this or pay Cousins. I don't think it will work out, but better than drafting a QB #1 or #2 overall imo. Garappolo was my favorite QB in that class, he has potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Guess the talk of Cousins going to San Fran after this season is over. They’ll give Jimmy at least two seasons to prove himself. 

I don't think so, not yet. He's a complete (for the most part) unknown. He's not going to go in there and take the 49ers to 8-8.

Besides that, he's apparently a quality back up, or the Patriots would never have kept him this long. So Shanahan could easily bring Cousins in to be #1 and have a solid back up behind him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't think so, not yet. He's a complete (for the most part) unknown. He's not going to go in there and take the 49ers to 8-8.

Besides that, he's apparently a quality back up, or the Patriots would never have kept him this long. So Shanahan could easily bring Cousins in to be #1 and have a solid back up behind him.  

You don't trade the #34 pick in the draft for a backup QB...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't think so, not yet. He's a complete (for the most part) unknown. He's not going to go in there and take the 49ers to 8-8.

Besides that, he's apparently a quality back up, or the Patriots would never have kept him this long. So Shanahan could easily bring Cousins in to be #1 and have a solid back up behind him.  

I disagree. You don’t give up that high a draft pick for a QB you don’t expect to be a starter, or at least want to give him the chance to be a starter. He has to learn the offense, so he really isn’t going to do anything for them this season and Beathard has a little more time to show Shanny he can play better. Regardless, the Niners go into the offseason with Jimmy G penciled in as QB1.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The timing of this trade seems odd to me. I thought their target was Coupons so why trade for Garrapolo now? OK maybe Washington lock Coupons down but if that happens then at that point you move for Garrapolo? Or look to draft someone early in the draft? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paco said:

There are always the Jags.   Good D, some weapons on 0, mediocre at best QB and a TON of cap space.

I could see the Broncos going after Cousins too. Siemian blows and Paxton Lynch still can't beat him out for the starting gig. Osweiler is Osweiler. The Broncos pretty much need a QB enema. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the Broncos cap situation like? If any team is going to throw cash around it's the Jags who apparently have a butt load. They will be hard to outbid. 

Bills are another team in need of a QB. I thought they were tanking this year but they're winning. They don't seem sold on Tyrod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skippyx said:

I think Garappolo is good, but they have to pay him 20+ million next year.

They paid a high price for the right to pay a high price.

He is going to go back to the Pats next year anyway .  His contract is up , they id this to get a free pick and give him more experience  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The timing of this trade seems odd to me. I thought their target was Coupons so why trade for Garrapolo now? OK maybe Washington lock Coupons down but if that happens then at that point you move for Garrapolo? Or look to draft someone early in the draft? 

Maybe Cousins wasn't the target all along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, toolg said:

Maybe Cousins wasn't the target all along.

Maybe not? Though I find it hard to believe given the link between Shanahan and Coupons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe not? Though I find it hard to believe given the link between Shanahan and Coupons. 

The other thought is: If they want Cousins, they can use Garappolo as a bargaining chip. He can be signed and traded. Or he can be used as Free Agent compensation if they let him walk.

Either way, Garappolo should get several more games under his belt as a 49er to prove his worth to anybody who wants him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still dont get all the hype for Jimmy G ... I still think Foles has shown more with his chances which were a lot more to go by .  We have seen this plenty of times before a Brady Backup gets overhyped because they filled in for a few games  " 1.5 in Jims case "   then be duds or so so ... I mean they were Superbowl Champs a hell of alot past 10 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Foles was very smart to run around and not trust that O-line in 2014. Look at the Jags game again, they forced 3 fumbles and then he started running for his life in the second half.

He had 3 fumbles in that first 30 minutes and only one more in the other 405 minutes the Eagles played before he got hurt. He stopped staying still in the pocket behind a bad line.

Conventional wisdom said he was 'jittery' for that.

He then went to a very bad St Louis team and faced 8 playoff teams in 11 starts. He did not play well but people acted like it was all his fault.

The average NFL head thinks Foles is not very good because of those seasons.

 

Garappolo does not have any adversity on film yet, so they will pay him like Mike Glennon, or Matt Flynn, or Brock Osweiler.

He could be a very good QB, but they are hoping instead of knowing. 

I think that is why Jimmy G will get 100 million and Foles gets backup roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2017 at 8:35 PM, D-Shiznit said:

What happens if Brady falls off a cliff next year in terms of play? Pats have no heir apparent, don't get this move.

They were willing to franchise Garappolo and pay him like a starter next year, but he wanted to actually play and unless Brady goes down there was no chance of that.

Pats were in a position where they could have held on to him but now unless he stinks up the joint real bad he'll be the 49ers starter for at least the rest of this season and all of next (they can franchise him if need be for next season).

49ers were concerned the Redskins would franchise Cousins and would have to give the Redskins two first rounders AND pay Cousins $35 million next season to get him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mat said:

What's the Broncos cap situation like? If any team is going to throw cash around it's the Jags who apparently have a butt load. They will be hard to outbid. 

Bills are another team in need of a QB. I thought they were tanking this year but they're winning. They don't seem sold on Tyrod. 

Not sure the Broncos have the money.

Cousins is going to command possibly $30 million a year on the open market.  The Jets are believed to also be a suitor for Cousins as they will have about $90 million in cap space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

I still dont get all the hype for Jimmy G ... I still think Foles has shown more with his chances which were a lot more to go by .  We have seen this plenty of times before a Brady Backup gets overhyped because they filled in for a few games  " 1.5 in Jims case "   then be duds or so so ... I mean they were Superbowl Champs a hell of alot past 10 years 

Yep. Matt cassell ring a bell? How bout flynn? Plus G got injured before even finishing his 4 game trial. He may not be durable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still find it hard to believe he's going to sit for very long... Think he will see the field by next week! 

And then we will find out if he's going to a good starter or just another Pats system guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2017 at 10:34 PM, birdman said:

The 49'ers are an absolute joke of an organization, Bellicheat fleeced them for yet another system QB. This move makes zero sense as they are in full rebuild mode and will be in play for a high 1st round pick next draft. Why not just hold out and target Mayfield? 

It's not a terrible move, but I can't say I like it.  You paid the draft pick and the FA money when you have a a top 2 pick in a Qb draft AND a decent situation to land Jimmy G in FA if you anted to.

 

Ok, so you really , really love Jimmy G and you aren't going to wait 3 years to get your franchise Qb like the Browns.  Points for that, but thjis guy got hurt after two friggin starts, you're scouting better be spot on cuz the pedigree just ain't there. 

 

This move looks more Matt Schaub than Brett Favre to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2017 at 8:29 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Still find it hard to believe he's going to sit for very long... Think he will see the field by next week! 

And then we will find out if he's going to a good starter or just another Pats system guy. 

I see the latter. Rtk is really high on garrapolo. Hes probly the second best qb on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It's not a terrible move, but I can't say I like it.  You paid the draft pick and the FA money when you have a a top 2 pick in a Qb draft AND a decent situation to land Jimmy G in FA if you anted to.

 

Ok, so you really , really love Jimmy G and you aren't going to wait 3 years to get your franchise Qb like the Browns.  Points for that, but thjis guy got hurt after two friggin starts, you're scouting better be spot on cuz the pedigree just ain't there. 

 

This move looks more Matt Schaub than Brett Favre to me.

I think it puts them in a bind. 7 or 8 games will not tell you a whole lot about him, considering the talent around him and lack of time on the team. So now the season ends and he is a free agent. Now what? Say he plays OK. Gonna franchise him for 25 million? Or let him walk and you lost a 2nd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It's not a terrible move, but I can't say I like it.  You paid the draft pick and the FA money when you have a a top 2 pick in a Qb draft AND a decent situation to land Jimmy G in FA if you anted to.

 

Ok, so you really , really love Jimmy G and you aren't going to wait 3 years to get your franchise Qb like the Browns.  Points for that, but thjis guy got hurt after two friggin starts, you're scouting better be spot on cuz the pedigree just ain't there. 

 

This move looks more Matt Schaub than Brett Favre to me.

They might also trade down and get a bunch more picks, not impressed at any of the "great QBs" in this draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now