wyote

Is the Cowboys defense good?

So, this is what I'm thinking. The Dallas offense is legit, at least as long as Elliot avoids the suspension. Without Zeke, hopefully we'll see a big drop off. But with him, it might be competitive with the Eagles offense. The Eagles offense is better, but Dallas stays in the game.  

However, is the Dallas D good enough to hang with the Eagles? Cowboys fans say they've gotten better. Really? Are they even nearly as good as the Eagles D? What do you think? 

8 minutes ago, wyote said:

However, is the Dallas D good enough to hang with the Eagles? Cowboys fans say they've gotten better. Really? Are they even nearly as good as the Eagles D? What do you think? 

On paper? No! The Dallas D isn't that good. It's all predicated on the offense staying on the field and dominating TOP which is something we may be able to stop with our rush defense. 

Having said that it's a division game so so knows how it plays out. Especially with us coming off of the bye.

We'll see, won't we?  It's shaping up to be a an absolutely fantastic game.  The kind that can turn the entire conversation about the "struggling" NFL around, especially if Zeke plays. 

Personally, I think the Cowboys defense is MUCH improved from the bottom 5 D they had earlier in the year.  The Lawrence-Irving tandem is friggin' ferocious.  I still think they have an over-reliance on Sean Lee to stop the run.  Neutralize his effectiveness and you can literally run on the Pokes all day long with a rushing attack like the Eagles have and that includes running right at the pass rushing duo.

We'll see.  Pokes at home, eagles off a bye with new wrinkles on offense for Ajayi and new wrinkles on D for Darby.  If Elliot is out I think eagles win by 10, otherwise this game will be incredible to the final whistle.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

On paper? No! The Dallas D isn't that good. It's all predicated on the offense staying on the field and dominating TOP which is something we may be able to stop with our rush defense. 

Having said that it's a division game so so knows how it plays out. Especially with us coming off of the bye.

I think the bye is a good thing. This is a disciplined team; they will come back with their heads in the right place. They'll be well rested for the game. Pederson and Schwartz will have great game plans prepared. It's gonna be great. Beating Dallas in Jerry's house on prime time. Hope it's another 30 point win. Hope Zeke is dressed for it too. 

Just now, wyote said:

I think the bye is a good thing. This is a disciplined team; they will come back with their heads in the right place. They'll be well rested for the game. Pederson and Schwartz will have great game plans prepared. It's gonna be great. Beating Dallas in Jerry's house on prime time. Hope it's another 30 point win. Hope Zeke is dressed for it too. 

I hope you are right... But we saw just how rusty we were after only one week off? Well a mini bye / long week so it's definitely a concern for me as much as I hope I'm wrong. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hope you are right... But we saw just how rusty we were after only one week off? Well a mini bye / long week so it's definitely a concern for me as much as I hope I'm wrong. 

Pokes will be coming off their 3rd straight tough game.  @Atlanta won't be cake.

Like I predicted well before the season right here: Dallas is the best team in the NFCEast (with Zeke), Eagles just a tad below them: they will both be battling for years. Giants maybe 3rd, and Redskins you never know.

I also predicted the Cowboys will loose a few close games because almost an all-rookie secondary (that is temporary fortunately). so will start slow, then slowly come into form. Unexpectedly, they lost Lee, Hitches (injuries) and Irving for 4 games (an over-the-counter medication with a HIDDEN substance); that wouldn't have happened they be 7-1 now, since they lost to GB (with Rodgers) & Rams by seconds even without those players. Neither of those teams the Eagles got to play.

Future, what really counts ultimately: Once Chido starts playing in their secondary, the Cowboys will have a complete team for years. They may hit a bump on the road (Zeke suspension, injuries) now, but otherwise count on them to be on Eagles' way every turn, this year maybe, but certain by next season.

Eagles, this year: everything is going their way, timing, schedule and playing very well. They are in a groove, but sustainable in the long run, probably not to this degree. Are they as talented as the Cowboys, no, but not that far behind either. It is their year as it looks now, better take advantage of it, because Dallas is coming, and that is a  mathematical certainty. because they have the talent, which in the NFL, you better have, luck could only take a team so far.

There's no reason for our O to not explode, especially looking at the TE match ups. If our D plays half decent we win the division next Sunday night. 

31 minutes ago, Mearns said:

Like I predicted well before the season right here: Dallas is the best team in the NFCEast (with Zeke), Eagles just a tad below them: they will both be battling for years. Giants maybe 3rd, and Redskins you never know.

I also predicted the Cowboys will loose a few close games because almost an all-rookie secondary (that is temporary fortunately). so will start slow, then slowly come into form. Unexpectedly, they lost Lee, Hitches (injuries) and Irving for 4 games (an over-the-counter medication with a HIDDEN substance); that wouldn't have happened they be 7-1 now, since they lost to GB (with Rodgers) & Rams by seconds even without those players. Neither of those teams the Eagles got to play.

Future, what really counts ultimately: Once Chido starts playing in their secondary, the Cowboys will have a complete team for years. They may hit a bump on the road (Zeke suspension, injuries) now, but otherwise count on them to be on Eagles' way every turn, this year maybe, but certain by next season.

Eagles, this year: everything is going their way, timing, schedule and playing very well. They are in a groove, but sustainable in the long run, probably not to this degree. Are they as talented as the Cowboys, no, but not that far behind either. It is their year as it looks now, better take advantage of it, because Dallas is coming, and that is a  mathematical certainty. because they have the talent, which in the NFL, you better have, luck could only take a team so far.

Unexpectedly you lost Lee to an injury and someone to a suspension...... That is a certainty 

1 hour ago, Mearns said:

:roll:

Oh wait you were serious

1 hour ago, Mearns said:

Best team in the East? You can't be typing that with a straight face can you? Especially when using Zeke as the deciding factor when the Eagles now have Ajayi. Ajayi isn't as good as Zeke, but he is still a great RB, but when you add in Blount and Clement, I think it exceeds what Dallas has in their backfield.

Outside of the backfields, the Eagles have the better offense as well. More weapons, more for the defense to worry about, and they can't take away everything. Every weapon is a potential playmaker on any given play. Ertz, Burton and Celek proved very capable, Jeffery, Agholor, Hollins, Smith. Offensive line that has had some hiccups, 49ers game, but considering it was the first game without JP it's understandable, they came out in the Denver game and showed how good they can be, I don't know if they're better than Dallas's O-line, but I heard Tyron Smith may be missing some time, so that may hurt them.

Dallas D has some nice pieces, but based on their performance overall for this season, I don't think you can say they are better than the Eagles defense, which would mean the offense would have to be far and away better than the Eagles offense for Dallas to be the better team, which it clearly is not. 

Dallas is a good team capable of beating the Eagles, no doubt in that, but as far as this season and the overall performances so far, the Eagles are the better team. They both had basically the same strength of schedule heading into the season, one is 8-1 and one is 5-3.

Total wins for Dallas opponents is 28 Wins, Eagles 27 wins (not including additional game against Washington) Eagles are 8-1 and the Cowboys are 5-3...I mean that says it all right there for up to this point in the season. Things can change, they both have very similar schedules moving forward, but as of right now the Eagles are tops in the East and honestly in the NFL, you can put them against anyone and they should be favored, not by much, but favored nonetheless. 

The problem with the Dallas d is they are not at all consistent. You need to be consistent to be good. They are capable of being really good and some weekends they are abysmal. 

With Lee in the lineup it's a pretty good defense. If he's not available they drop to the middle of the pack. Either way this just looks like the Eagles year in the NFC East and rightfully so they seem to be going all in. You just don't get that many opportunities to win championships. The Pats are an anomaly.  

5 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

With Lee in the lineup it's a pretty good defense. If he's not available they drop to the middle of the pack. Either way this just looks like the Eagles year in the NFC East and rightfully so they seem to be going all in. You just don't get that many opportunities to win championships. The Pats are an anomaly.  

agreed, Dallas D with Sean Lee is good, not great. He erases a lot of mistakes by the front 7. With him they give up about 17ppg, w/o about 35. But also in those games they were missing David Irvin at DT, who appears to have taken the next step having 5-6 sacks the last 4 games since getting off suspension, and a still hobble Jaylon Smith was a liability, so now Dallas got Anthony Hitchens back at MLB after week 4 as well.

Some of that improvement was against crap offenses, but they played great vs the Chiefs...a top 3 offense that late in the 4th had about 220 total yards, 60 of which came off that "hail mary" at the end of the halk.

The main problem is that unlike the eagles defense they don't cause turnovers. Dallas probably has 1 defensive td and 1 play where they have set their offense up inside the opponents 20...I can think of 5-6 easy for philly w/o trying

2 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

agreed, Dallas D with Sean Lee is good, not great. He erases a lot of mistakes by the front 7. With him they give up about 17ppg, w/o about 35. But also in those games they were missing David Irvin at DT, who appears to have taken the next step having 5-6 sacks the last 4 games since getting off suspension, and a still hobble Jaylon Smith was a liability, so now Dallas got Anthony Hitchens back at MLB after week 4 as well.

Some of that improvement was against crap offenses, but they played great vs the Chiefs...a top 3 offense that late in the 4th had about 220 total yards, 60 of which came off that "hail mary" at the end of the halk.

The main problem is that unlike the eagles defense they don't cause turnovers. Dallas probably has 1 defensive td and 1 play where they have set their offense up inside the opponents 20...I can think of 5-6 easy for philly w/o trying

Aside from things out of the players control (scheduling, injuries, luck, etc.), turnover ratio is one of the biggest indicators of wins and losses. I haven't watched that closely, but if the Birds are causing a bunch of TOs then they're on to something good. I remember a few years back that crappy Bears team made it all the way to the Super Bowl by causing turnovers. 

Cowboys defense is good, but not great.  It's not the sieve I thought (and hoped) it'd be.  But I feel that also depends if Sean Lee plays.  They lost the two games he was out and gave up a ton of points, but that was also against arguably the best offenses they've played this season.  Not sure they necessarily win against GB or Rams even if he played.  They also gave up a to to the Broncos but that seems to be behind them now, as well as the Broncos now being a completely different team.

10 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Aside from things out of the players control (scheduling, injuries, luck, etc.), turnover ratio is one of the biggest indicators of wins and losses. I haven't watched that closely, but if the Birds are causing a bunch of TOs then they're on to something good. I remember a few years back that crappy Bears team made it all the way to the Super Bowl by causing turnovers. 

Eagles tied for 3rd with 16 forced turnovers. I think they are plus 6

28 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

yeah, all of Dallas' drives are of the 70 yard variety because they don't cause turnovers (they are on pace for causing 20 all year) I think in the last 4 games they have caused like 6, which is why they are winning and scoring a bunch

The Eagles are excelling at not just causing turnovers, but doing so in much a manner that they score or get put in scoring position. I know they had 1 defensive TD in each skins game, and had 2 that set them up inside the 20 vs Carolina and 2 vs the Broncos....I'm betting there are more. They also have very good special teams....when you combine that with a very good offense.....they are going to be tough to beat this year.

7 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

yeah, all of Dallas' drives are of the 70 yard variety because they don't cause turnovers (they are on pace for causing 20 all year) I think in the last 4 games they have caused like 6, which is why they are winning and scoring a bunch

The Eagles are excelling at not just causing turnovers, but doing so in much a manner that they score or get put in scoring position. I know they had 1 defensive TD in each skins game, and had 2 that set them up inside the 20 vs Carolina and 2 vs the Broncos....I'm betting there are more. They also have very good special teams....when you combine that with a very good offense.....they are going to be tough to beat this year.

not just this year, stephen1.. but this will be good for years to come. :)

Dallas defense is good? That's laughable, you've been listening to the media wayyyy too much. Let's see here:

-Dline = improved from last year but getting lucky with production from Lawrence and Irving. Nothing else to see here

-LB core = Sean Lee and pretty much nothing else. More on Lee in a bit

-Secondary = no talent to be found. Got picked apart from a Denver team that now has shown to be a bottom feeder

And while we're at it, I'm going to say something that won't be popular with the turds fans: Sean Lee is overrated and the only reason he looks good is bc the rest of the cowboys LB core/secondary is terrible at tackling. I know most eagles fans have picked up on this already

Sorry for the rant, but I get tired with all the pro-cowboys threads that seemingly pop up every week around here. That team is not winning the division and will probably not make the playoffs either - end of story

1 hour ago, Stephen1 said:

Another thing that's been more luck but still relevant. We have ten turnovers ourselves and a lot of them have been inconsequential and not hurt us.

1 hour ago, Cthulhu said:

not just this year, stephen1.. but this will be good for years to come. :)

maybe...but it's a year to year league...every year there are surprise teams, and 3/4 of the time it doesn't carry over. Look at Philly after Chip's 1st year...we were looking at a decade of dominance......As long as Wentz is there, Philly will be good, but defenses causing a lot of turnovers and scoring D/ST td's rarely carries over year to year

44 minutes ago, DJax4lyfe said:

Dallas defense is good? That's laughable, you've been listening to the media wayyyy too much. Let's see here:

-Dline = improved from last year but getting lucky with production from Lawrence and Irving. Nothing else to see here

-LB core = Sean Lee and pretty much nothing else. More on Lee in a bit

-Secondary = no talent to be found. Got picked apart from a Denver team that now has shown to be a bottom feeder

And while we're at it, I'm going to say something that won't be popular with the turds fans: Sean Lee is overrated and the only reason he looks good is bc the rest of the cowboys LB core/secondary is terrible at tackling. I know most eagles fans have picked up on this already

Sorry for the rant, but I get tired with all the pro-cowboys threads that seemingly pop up every week around here. That team is not winning the division and will probably not make the playoffs either - end of story

very unbiased opinion :roll: this is all just troll bs not even worth responding to.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Guarantee Doug reminds them of just this. This team learns from mistakes. I say we come out guns blazing.  Playoff preview folks.