Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattwill

A Plan to Fix the problems with the Thursday Night games

In another thread @Iggles_Phan has come up with a possible solution to the recurring problems that exist with the NFL's Thursday Night games.  Here's his plan, which includes an adjustment to the Bye Week schedule.

• Week One kicks off with a Thursday Night game
  • The next Thursday Night game happens in Week Five, with the two teams that play that game getting a Bye Week during Week Four.  With a Bye before the Thursday Night Game each team has 10 days to recover from their prior game, as well as prepare for the Thursday game.  Each team would also have 9 days recover from their Thursday game, as well as prepare for the next Sunday's game. 
  • In Week Six you would have two Thursday Night games, for example: Thursday night early game (6pm or 7 pm ET kickoff) NE @ NYJ, (9pm or 10pm kickoff) AZ @ Sea.   The four teams playing those games would have a Week Five Bye Week
  • Weeks Seven through Eleven would work the same as Week Six ... two games with the four teams having their Bye the week before.
  • Week Twelve is Thanksgiving Thursday, with its current slate of three games, so Week Eleven would include the last six teams' Bye Week.

The NFL and the networks get Seventeen Thursday Night games (the opening night teams play a second Thursday Night game later in the season) over eight weeks.  The teams get more time to prepare.  The players get more time to recover prior to playing on Thursday.  The players' "vacation" time (like the Eagles players have had this week) gets split into two parts ... four days after the Sunday game that precedes their Bye Week and the other three days right after the Thursday game).

One biproduct of the @Iggles_Phan plan is that Thursday Night games could include a lot of Division rivalry games, with their natural intensity.  That could mean that there are fewer boring blowouts.

Thoughts?

Interesting,but how do you work Monday night games into that and till maintain that schedule?

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Interesting,but how do you work Monday night games into that and till maintain that schedule?

*still

Too much Thursday Night. Games start on the East Coast at like 8 pm and might not end until 11:30. 

Just do one at the start of the season and the three on thanksgiving and leave it at that. 

Monday Night games would be unchanged.  Some Thursday Night teams could be playing on the Monday prior to their Bye Week rather than on Sunday, which would mean one less day "off" prior to their Thursday game.  Similarly, some Thursday Night teams could be playing on the Monday after their Bye Week rather than on Sunday, which would mean one more day "off" after their Thursday game.

Maybe just end it and move them to 4:00 on Sunday. The extra short week for a visiting team is stupid, even if they somehow win.

I'm not as down on Thursday night games as some but in combination with the more frequent 9am international games and the increasing amount of commercials, the NFL has really de-valued individual games.  I already spend 6+ hours watching the 1pm and 4pm slate of games, am I really going to spend an additional 12+ hours collectively watching 4 individual games?

However, I fully understand that the NFL is out for profits, so the idea of moving a stand alone game back into the mix of 1pm or 4pm games isn't going to fly with them.  So my realistic vote would go to moving Thursday night games to either Sunday or Monday night to create the double-header structure they run for week one.  Start one east cost game at 7, one west coast game at 10, the only downside being that ratings on the east coast might slip for the 10pm game.  Still, I think the same counterpoint could be made that ratings for Thursday night games suffer because having a game start at 5:15 PST is too early for those working on the west coast.

2 minutes ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

Too much Thursday Night. Games start on the East Coast at like 8 pm and might not end until 11:30. 

Just do one at the start of the season and the three on thanksgiving and leave it at that. 

If the NFL did that, they would be walking away from over $1 billion in revenue ... and the players would be walking away from over $400 million in compensation.  The Salary Cap would come down by over $10 million per team.

Are you willing to incur those consequences?

2 minutes ago, EaglesInUrFace said:

Plan to fix Thursday Night Football. Stop playing on Thursday. They could do away with Thanksgiving games too.

Are you willing to see the Eagles' Salary Cap amount decreased by over $10 million per year.  That would severely cramp Howie's flexibility to work miracles.

Just now, mattwill said:

Are you willing to see the Eagles' Salary Cap amount decreased by over $10 million per year.  That would severely cramp Howie's flexibility to work miracles.

I think Thursday games hurt the NFL and are part of the decline. Not as much as how football is a five minutes commercial in between fifteen minute commercial segments. As long as it happens to all teams then I can live with it.

Add a second Bye Week. First Bye week is between weeks 4-9 second bye between 10-16. That gets you a Thursday game week 1 and weeks 5-17 (Now an 18 week season). All Thursday and International games come after the Bye. 

Here are the problems with Monday, Thursday and Sunday night games- the matchups usually stink. Years ago, when Monday was the only primetime game, it was usually 49ers, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, or some other high profile teams. And I remember the Browns and Bengals owners ****ing about not getting the National exposure that the other teams did. So, not only have they diluted the airwaves but they’ve done it with crappy matchups

6 minutes ago, EaglesInUrFace said:

I think Thursday games hurt the NFL and are part of the decline. Not as much as how football is a five minutes commercial in between fifteen minute commercial segments. As long as it happens to all teams then I can live with it.

Soooo many commercials lately 

2 minutes ago, WCPhan said:

Here are the problems with Monday, Thursday and Sunday night games- the matchups usually stink. Years ago, when Monday was the only primetime game, it was usually 49ers, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, or some other high profile teams. And I remember the Browns and Bengals owners ****ing about not getting the National exposure that the other teams did. So, not only have they diluted the airwaves but they’ve done it with crappy matchups

Here's the problem. The NFL has gotten to the point where they believe you will watch that Thursday and Monday games no matter what the matchup is because they know its the only game on.  I think fans are finally showing that that isn't true anymore. 

My plan is simple Monday night football starts at 7:00 eastern time with the east coast Monday night game.  West coast Monday night would start after. no Thursday games.  NFL already does multiple Monday games week 1

me personally as a fan,  I love thursday night games. The more football the better. But I like the OP's idea for the thursday night fix to alleviate the players' concerns. 6 days break from NFL football in the fall is just too long. It's nice that we get to see an NFL matchup every three days with thethu night game sandwich. 

2 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Soooo many commercials lately 

I wish I could do what a lot of friends are doing. Recording the game and playing it when half time starts so you can fast forward through all the commercials. I cannot do it. I record all the games anyway but I can't sit around and wait while the game is going on.

in as much as i love watching football and want to see more football games...the thursday night games are sloppy and really often boring. not to mention there are sometimes broadcasting issues. and not that Fantasy is any big deal but its really taken off and become a driving factor in increased attention and viewership on football. Thursday night blows for fantasy purposes. 

i would be happier if they did away with weekly Thursday night. Turn one of the pre season games into regular season if you want...but taking away Thursday would not bother me one bit. 

25 minutes ago, mattwill said:

If the NFL did that, they would be walking away from over $1 billion in revenue ... and the players would be walking away from over $400 million in compensation.  The Salary Cap would come down by over $10 million per team.

Are you willing to incur those consequences?

But your not removing the game completely, you move it to Sunday, or you have double headers on Monday. 

How much revenue do they pull in for the occasional Sunday morning games? That could be another potential slot.

27 minutes ago, mattwill said:

If the salary cap shrinks, so does everyone's contract value over time. Your not going to keep increasing contracts if the salary cap is shrinking.

Extra bye week. Just set it up so that the teams that are playing have a bye before the Thursday night games. Every team plays a Thursday night game. Done.

I would just cancel them. Stop diluting and saturating the product. Create scarcity/low supply

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

In another thread @Iggles_Phan has come up with a possible solution to the recurring problems that exist with the NFL's Thursday Night games.  Here's his plan, which includes an adjustment to the Bye Week schedule.

• Week One kicks off with a Thursday Night game
  • The next Thursday Night game happens in Week Five, with the two teams that play that game getting a Bye Week during Week Four.  With a Bye before the Thursday Night Game each team has 10 days to recover from their prior game, as well as prepare for the Thursday game.  Each team would also have 9 days recover from their Thursday game, as well as prepare for the next Sunday's game. 
  • In Week Six you would have two Thursday Night games, for example: Thursday night early game (6pm or 7 pm ET kickoff) NE @ NYJ, (9pm or 10pm kickoff) AZ @ Sea.   The four teams playing those games would have a Week Five Bye Week
  • Weeks Seven through Eleven would work the same as Week Six ... two games with the four teams having their Bye the week before.
  • Week Twelve is Thanksgiving Thursday, with its current slate of three games, so Week Eleven would include the last six teams' Bye Week.

The NFL and the networks get Seventeen Thursday Night games (the opening night teams play a second Thursday Night game later in the season) over eight weeks.  The teams get more time to prepare.  The players get more time to recover prior to playing on Thursday.  The players' "vacation" time (like the Eagles players have had this week) gets split into two parts ... four days after the Sunday game that precedes their Bye Week and the other three days right after the Thursday game).

One biproduct of the @Iggles_Phan plan is that Thursday Night games could include a lot of Division rivalry games, with their natural intensity.  That could mean that there are fewer boring blowouts.

Thoughts?

Better idea, stop Thursday night games.