Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattwill

A Plan to Fix the problems with the Thursday Night games

The way to fix the 'problem' with TFN is to relegate it to Thanksgiving and maybe 2 or 3 games thereafter. Not an entire season of it.

51 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Are you willing to see the Eagles' Salary Cap amount decreased by over $10 million per year.  That would severely cramp Howie's flexibility to work miracles.

They could go with a double header on Monday night football like they do week one. Have one game east coast start around 6pm and the next 9pm. It’s an option worth exploring.

I think it’s laughable though everyone goes with player safety and making the game safer then turns around having a Thursday night game. 

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

If the NFL did that, they would be walking away from over $1 billion in revenue ... and the players would be walking away from over $400 million in compensation.  The Salary Cap would come down by over $10 million per team.

Are you willing to incur those consequences?

Nobody watches those games. They are usually games for really small market teams like Tampa, Carolina and such. The commercials take place every 3 minutes and that turns me off to it anyways. The NFL thrived without these wastes of space. Might as well use resources to make games safer/make the league better.

1 hour ago, WCPhan said:

Here are the problems with Monday, Thursday and Sunday night games- the matchups usually stink. Years ago, when Monday was the only primetime game, it was usually 49ers, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, or some other high profile teams. And I remember the Browns and Bengals owners ****ing about not getting the National exposure that the other teams did. So, not only have they diluted the airwaves but they’ve done it with crappy matchups

I agree with this point, and the plan put forward by @Iggles_Phan does have potential to address that issue in part.  With the 10 day preparation time, the quality of the actual play on the field, and game plan from the sideline should be improved.  In addition the opportunity to choose natural in-Division rivalries for the games would more than likely amp up the intensity.  Third, the lower quality teams, like Cleveland, would have a game with another equally low quality team, so the game should end up being competitive.  I believe fans care about  suspense and drama more than they care about quality of play on the field.  Most fans really can't discern quality differences, but they can look at the scoreboard and see that they are watching a close game where the outcome is not clear.

JMO

13 minutes ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

Nobody watches those games. They are usually games for really small market teams like Tampa, Carolina and such. The commercials take place every 3 minutes and that turns me off to it anyways. The NFL thrived without these wastes of space. Might as well use resources to make games safer/make the league better.

The ratings, and the amount the advertisers pay for commercials time say that there are enough people watching the Thursday games to make business sense.  If "nobody watches those games" was true, then advertisers wouldn't choose to pay for commercials on Thursday night.  You don't need a Wharton MBA to understand that the $1 billion per year business model for the Thursday Night games works.  The problem with Thursday games isn't monetary, it is that the football model isn't working.

Just now, mattwill said:

The ratings, and the amount the advertisers pay for commercials time say that there are enough people watching the Thursday games to make business sense.  If "nobody watches those games" was true, then advertisers wouldn't choose to pay for commercials on Thursday night.

Papa John also said the NFL was responsible for his lack of pizza sales, so sorry if I tend not to believe what advertisers say. More people watch prime time TV shows than they watch TNF more than likely.

5 minutes ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

Papa John also said the NFL was responsible for his lack of pizza sales, so sorry if I tend not to believe what advertisers say. More people watch prime time TV shows than they watch TNF more than likely.

Papa John wasn't speaking with his check book.  He was trying to come up with an excuse for his company's share holders for the decline in sales.  Yum Brands (Pizza Hut) saw no decline in pizza sales, and laughed at Papa Joh's assertion, noting that the reason for Papa John's sales decline was a failure to keep its product up to the level of its competition.

Bottom-line, sound-bites don't matter.  The amount spent form check books does matter.  Words are cheap.

Do away with Thursday games. Instead, have a couple Saturday games during December featuring the playoff contenders. Ratings would be through the roof.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Maybe just end it and move them to 4:00 on Sunday. The extra short week for a visiting team is stupid, even if they somehow win.

There wouldn't be an extra short week if teams had a bye before the TNF matchup.

2 hours ago, mattwill said:

If the NFL did that, they would be walking away from over $1 billion in revenue ... and the players would be walking away from over $400 million in compensation.  The Salary Cap would come down by over $10 million per team.

Are you willing to incur those consequences?

Wow......where did you get that number?

37 minutes ago, Abracadabra said:

Do away with Thursday games. Instead, have a couple Saturday games during December featuring the playoff contenders. Ratings would be through the roof.

They already have Sat matchups once NCAA is done on Saturdays.

58 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Something else that needs to be done away with is this idiotic 'Color Rush' gimmick.

Definitely.  Flashy uniforms are not the reason folks watch games.  

1 hour ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

The real answer is to not mandate that each team gets a game... But the bad teams hide behind small market status (Green Bay is the smallest market, yet do just fine) and cry foul when matchups are based on merit.  Small markets want exposure, but many if them are run by morons...Cleveland, Tennessee, St Louis (formerly), Tampa, Indy...  Its not the market that's bad IRS their particular product... And if the better teams draw better ratings, and makes the league as a whole more money, then they all benefit.  Primetime games used to be merit based.  By Thursday games are mandated.

14 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

They already have Sat matchups once NCAA is done on Saturdays.

Yea, for a couple of weeks. They should start Sat. games for the final 4 or 5 weeks of the season with the ability to flex games with playoff meaning. Screw the NCAA, let them play on Thu. or Fri..

Just pointing out and not really about Thursday night football, if the nfl was really worried about their ratings they’d do what college football did and go away from paying for out of town and the the best games. If the nfl got rid of Sunday ticket and just make all the games basically available on tv the ratings probably go up because people aren’t stuck watching crap games  and just go do something else rather than watching the browns play the niners as well as going to illegal streams to watch the games. 

1 hour ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

F Papa Johns. Their pizza sucks and like Walmart they F their employees. Local biz pizza spots only.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

F Papa Johns. Their pizza sucks and like Walmart they F their employees. Local biz pizza spots only.

Not only that local businesses tend to use fresh ingredients and have better pizza. And more than likely the same price 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not only that local businesses tend to use fresh ingredients and have better pizza. And more than likely the same price 

:pizza: word

3 hours ago, EaglesInUrFace said:

I wish I could do what a lot of friends are doing. Recording the game and playing it when half time starts so you can fast forward through all the commercials.

That's what I'm learning to do when the Eagles play, although I watch the kickoff and first series live.  The real trick is to have something important to do for the next hour and a half------- like clean house or drive to the market.  That way I have two rewards every week when the Birds win.

But that's off the subject.  I, for one, need to study OP's plan carefully before saying anything about it.

I like the outline of the idea, but I'm not sure the players would like to have their free time cut into two separate smaller segments like that. I think that generally speaking, a bye week should mean a real week. Seven consecutive days of free time.

Also, I was under the impression that every team was supposed to play a game on Thursday night somewhere during the course of the season. How else to explain the godawful Jaguars/Titans games we've had to endure in recent years? Yet somehow the Browns didn't get one this year. I know they stink, but still...

4 hours ago, EaglesInUrFace said:

Plan to fix Thursday Night Football. Stop playing on Thursday. They could do away with Thanksgiving games too.

I was with you up until thanksgiving. Love watching the lions and cowpies on thanksgiving. That's just good ol merica 

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Don Giovanni's in feasterville for the win. 

44 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I like the outline of the idea, but I'm not sure the players would like to have their free time cut into two separate smaller segments like that. I think that generally speaking, a bye week should mean a real week. Seven consecutive days of free time.

Also, I was under the impression that every team was supposed to play a game on Thursday night somewhere during the course of the season. How else to explain the godawful Jaguars/Titans games we've had to endure in recent years? Yet somehow the Browns didn't get one this year. I know they stink, but still...

Well, they do get the entire offseason with minor interruptions...

I thought so too... did they really not get one?

But... I would be ok with a 2nd bye to give that uninterrupted week...   Cut the preseason down a week.