Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] Analyzing Darby's Return, Adding Ellerbe

Seven games remain in the regular season and as the Eagles returned to work on Monday at the NovaCare Complex after their bye week, the defense received a boost. Two, actually. And in the war of attrition that is the NFL regular season, every gain counts ...

View the full article

I would expect Darby to be on a snap count while he gets back up to game speed. With that ankle tapped he might not be as quick as he was to start the season.

Oh and we know part of the reason Ellerbe was brought on. Howie has been playing this game the past couple of seasons and I love it.

Doesn't sound like Sean Lee will be back for our game vs dullass. LT Tyron Smith still nursing his groin, painful and depending on the severity can't see him being 100%. Dak's b/u is Cooper Rush, just sayin cause Daks' health will be in jeopardy. They're basically finished w/ these injuries and schedule, 3 games in 11 days - us chargers skins, then a week off vs the gnats then raiders, hawks and us again, not w/ those injuries.

Watching the 8 Dak sacks ( sounds so good ) and he's less developed than Wentz. Doesn't read D's as well and is uncomfortable moving up in the pocket - that's why he runs so much, that and their once vaunted OL not nearly as good.

IT messing around again?

Stine - you won't read this until the am, congrads on your mach 10 win over on the eye

It isn’t just a no brainer where to fit Darby back into the starting lineup. Mills has really been balling. Do you even want to move him? Would you leave him and let Darby switch sides? Or just go back to the original plan of training camp?

With Ellerbe my first thoughts are how well is he running? We needed a LB. Going for the often injured guy makes sense. Any other talented player would already have a team. It wasn’t time to bring in the unproven young player. Probably looking at needing him to contribute only like 20 percent of the defensive snaps.

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

With Ellerbe my first thoughts are how well is he running? We needed a LB. Going for the often injured guy makes sense. Any other talented player would already have a team. It wasn’t time to bring in the unproven young player. Probably looking at needing him to contribute only like 20 percent of the defensive snaps.

I'm thinking this is a depth move and he'll play in only specific situations

25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It isn’t just a no brainer where to fit Darby back into the starting lineup. Mills has really been balling. Do you even want to move him? Would you leave him and let Darby switch sides? Or just go back to the original plan of training camp?

That's what ím waiting to see too. As much as we've all said it's a nice problem to have, well... here we are. I'm with you with regards to Mills, and i say leave him where he is. I don't know if switching sides for a CB is a big deal or not. It's actually sounding like they're talking about starting Darby, which is a minor surprise to me.

I think in efforts to upgrade but not fix what isn't broken, the best solution is to leave Mills where he is and move Darby to the other side, since we'll most likely be rotating Douglas in when Darby is sucking for air. That's about as close to keeping what's been working with a dash of upgrade sprinkled in. Similarly to how we put big V in on the left side and didn't move Lane. This way it wouldn't affect 2-3 guys playing in a different spot.

With regard to PRob, do not change a thing with him.

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I'm thinking anytime we would have been seeing Joe Walker, we'll now be seeing Ellerbe. I keep wanting to spell it with a Y.

Absolutely agree with you that this isn't the time to bring in an unproven guy. Ellerbe is a vet, he's been to the big dance (and won), his experience is what's needed now. Any great LB's are already on a team. He's here to because of experience and it's an upgrade.

Short yardage, yeah. I honestly don't know what we normally do on first downs though. Do we run 3 LB's at that time? I wouldn't necessarily change anything we've been doing, just swap out Walker with Ellerbe. Obviously we need to give him reps and familiarity with the scheme, my concern would be how fast he picks it up, but again, experience.

That sound about right to you guys? I know with certainty that you know the schemes better than me.

Swoopin it’snight and day from last year’s vanilla schemes. So really it’s a game by game matchup thing, seemingly. PRob and Mills outside, Curry-Jernigan-Cox-Graham(along the line), Kendrick’s-Walker-Bradham,McCleod up top and Jenkins has been in the box. That’s been what I’d call our base.

edit

Got it, and when we take out that 3rd LB that's when we bring in the slot Safety, is that right?

PRob pops in the slot some,Graham comes in at S, Bradham moves to MLB. Jenkins it seems plays both S spots,the slot,And LBer. What I really think of with Jenkins is Monsterback. The versatility and multiplicity of many of the players makes it hard to read. Which is fantastic!

So if that's base, how was it that Kendricks played a low amount of snap percentage when Hicks was playing? Do we play out-of-base more often then we do in it?

I realize i'm being very vanilla.  lol   But thanks for schooling me, i do appreciate it. I just never really got into following the intricacies as much until this year and i never played the Madden video game!

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So Swoopin and ASG, are you thinking first downs, short yardage and goalline packages for Ellerbe?

I was reading Ellerbie is a good blitzer from the MLB position. Since he attacks he'd be good at goal line and passing situations where he is tasked to rush the QB.

With his age and injury history I don't see him dropping into coverage.

Right now i'm seeing the Rams or Saints as the biggest threat in the NFC. If we get to the playoffs we need to get them to a cold Linc in Jan.

A healthy Cowpies team could also give us a run but it looks like it will be a stretch for them to make the playoffs.

And yes I did say IF we make the playoffs.  I'm not about to jinx us at this point.

Did you read where McAdoo "has the Giants owners support.

That's the kiss of death for any coach.

2 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Right now i'm seeing the Rams or Saints as the biggest threat in the NFC. If we get to the playoffs we need to get them to a cold Linc in Jan.

A healthy Cowpies team could also give us a run but it looks like it will be a stretch for them to make the playoffs.

And yes I did say IF we make the playoffs.  I'm not about to jinx us at this point.

Agreed, i'd really like to get a small cushion over them so that we play them at home! Rooting for whomever plays against Rams, Saints and Vikes from here on out. We only have a 1 game lead over the three of them. It needs to be more.