Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrlandoEagles23

League admits to Redskins they blew major call.

Team President Bruce Allen is said to have received a call from league officials who stated the big intentional grounding call on Kirk Cousins was the incorrect call. The Redskins were driving and in winning field goal range, the penalty took them out of range. This would have resulted in a 3rd down for the Skins and another attempt to move down the field for a first or at least get in better FG range. After such a devastating loss that would have helped provide a bit of cushion for the Eagles 1st seed hopes, this can't make Redskins fans feel any better.

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Report-League-officials-inform-Redskins-of-blown-call-110785146

48 minutes ago, OrlandoEagles23 said:

Team President Bruce Allen is said to have received a call from league officials who stated the big intentional grounding call on Kirk Cousins was the incorrect call. The Redskins were driving and in winning field goal range, the penalty took them out of range. This would have resulted in a 3rd down for the Skins and another attempt to move down the field for a first or at least get in better FG range. After such a devastating loss that would have helped provide a bit of cushion for the Eagles 1st seed hopes, this can't make Redskins fans feel any better.

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Report-League-officials-inform-Redskins-of-blown-call-110785146

I was on the redzone when that play had happened and they flipped away... I was shocked to find out it was an intentional grounding call.  It's not like when he threw it he was under pressure trying to avoid a sack, but when he released it his receiver had, seemingly, cut to the wrong area.  Or maybe Cousins threw the wrong pass, but I do think having his receiver to go the outside, like his throw, was the correct call.

Still, the Redskins had every chance to put that game away prior to the Saints come back.  A blown call like this sucks but they should still point the finger at themselves.

13 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I was on the redzone when that play had happened and they flipped away... I was shocked to find out it was an intentional grounding call.  It's not like when he threw it he was under pressure trying to avoid a sack, but when he released it his receiver had, seemingly, cut to the wrong area.  Or maybe Cousins threw the wrong pass, but I do think having his receiver to go the outside, like his throw, was the correct call.

Still, the Redskins had every chance to put that game away prior to the Saints come back.  A blown call like this sucks but they should still point the finger at themselves.

I saw the play and thought the refs totally blew the call but then the announcers kept saying they got the call right so I started second guessing myself. It looked like the WR ran the wrong route and there was nothing "intentional" about it. These announcers should have a better grasp of the rule book.

6 minutes ago, MERK said:

I saw the play and thought the refs totally blew the call but then the announcers kept saying they got the call right so I started second guessing myself. It looked like the WR ran the wrong route and there was nothing "intentional" about it. These announcers should have a better grasp of the rule book.

And that's just it.  Who in their right mind would "intentionally" do a quick drop back and throw a ball incomplete, after huddling, and with no pressure effect it?

3 hours ago, MERK said:

And, apparently, so should the refs!  <g>

Still dont not excuse Kirk Dropping the ball ...  All they needed wa a field goal to seal it .  Neither Gruden or him new that the clock started after the ball was placed and ready , he wasted enough time to QB sneak and spike .  Or even just spike dam ball .... Kirk  and gruden both blow huge calls that are costly .  Niether one of them should be doing that still at this point in their careers .. remember Kirk kneeling that game  :D

15 hours ago, MERK said:

With all the scrutiny the officials are getting, I think announcers have been trying to back them up..

15 hours ago, Northern Green Wings said:

, but I do think having his receiver to go the outside, like his throw, was the correct call.

Late in the game, getting to the outside is the only logical call. Get out of bounds and stop the clock. But can officiating apply logic? They need to go by the letter of the law. Now yes it was the wrong call but in that instance when it happened? I can see why intentional grounding is called because to them Cousins is trying to stop the clock. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Late in the game, getting to the outside is the only logical call. Get out of bounds and stop the clock. But can officiating apply logic? They need to go by the letter of the law. Now yes it was the wrong call but in that instance when it happened? I can see why intentional grounding is called because to them Cousins is trying to stop the clock. 

But if that was really the case why not spike it, instead of snapping it, going back and throw it.  That's the logic, or lack of from the refs in that call I'd say.

Not that I'm that choked about it, anytime Giants/Redskins/Cowboys lose I'm happy

9 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

Still dont not excuse Kirk Dropping the ball ...  All they needed wa a field goal to seal it .  Neither Gruden or him new that the clock started after the ball was placed and ready , he wasted enough time to QB sneak and spike .  Or even just spike dam ball .... Kirk  and gruden both blow huge calls that are costly .  Niether one of them should be doing that still at this point in their careers .. remember Kirk kneeling that game  :D

In true Reid like fashion, there was about 11 times that I can count where this game could have been managed differently at the end of the game to seal the deal.  

Skins gave up 15 points in three minutes, maybe that had something to do with it?

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

In true Reid like fashion, there was about 11 times that I can count where this game could have been managed differently at the end of the game to seal the deal.  

Skins gave up 15 points in three minutes, maybe that had something to do with it?

run game was working for them .... Just keep the ball on the ground .  You leave Kirk in those situations  7/10  Kirk will mess up 

Bad call by the refs or not, this team has a habit this season of giving up massive amounts of points after the end of halfs and games. There is no excuse for it beyond the coaches suck. 

Swearinger said as much post game when he said they never practice two minute drills. That’s on Gruden’s dumb a**.