Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlpineEagle

Week 12: Giants @ Redskins (Thanksgiving)

1 minute ago, Stephen1 said:

The 49ers spent years coming out of a cupcake division and won some rings, so I think either way is fine

Yeah, New England hasnt exactly been playing in a tough division for most of the last 20 years either.

Idk, X's and O's wise he would run circles around Garrett

True, but what does that matter if you can’t relay the play to the QB? Or constantly outthink yourself and never do a qb sneak on 4th and inches? 

Al Michaels seems bored out of his mind. Don Meredith would be so plastered by now, theyd have to pour him out of the booth:roll:

Just now, Stephen1 said:

The 49ers spent years coming out of a cupcake division and won some rings, so I think either way is fine

It depends on the AFC competition. Thinking back, the 49ers really didn't have a lot of stiff competition from the AFC. The 88 Super Bowl (January 89) was probably their toughest, where they had to come back in the final minute.

I got to see the first half of that game, but for the entire second half, I was on guard duty at Fort Gordon, in Georgia. I was guarding horses (me and a buddy) :rolleyes:, the Sergeant in charge was back at the guard shack on the walkie talkie calling that final drive for us. So that's how I heard that final drive.

Minutes after that drive, a male horse got frisky with a female and she kicked him. He bolted through the fence, causing the rest of the horses to stampede right at me and my buddy, nearly trampling us. All I had was a little night stick, so I turned tail and headed toward a building. My buddy was on the walkie talkie screaming 'The horses are after us! the horses are after us!'

Later, when we got back to the guard shack, as soon as we walked in, everyone (about 50 people) screamed "The horses are after us! the horses are after us!"  lol

Ah the good old days!

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It depends on the AFC competition. Thinking back, the 49ers really didn't have a lot of stiff competition from the AFC. The 88 Super Bowl (January 89) was probably their toughest, where they had to come back in the final minute.

I got to see the first half of that game, but for the entire second half, I was on guard duty at Fort Gordon, in Georgia. I was guarding horses (me and a buddy) :rolleyes:, the Sergeant in charge was back at the guard shack on the walkie talkie calling that final drive for us. So that's how I heard that final drive.

Minutes after that drive, a male horse got frisky with a female and she kicked him. He bolted through the fence, causing the rest of the horses to stampede right at me and my buddy, nearly trampling us. All I had was a little night stick, so I turned tail and headed toward a building. My buddy was on the walkie talkie screaming 'The horses are after us! the horses are after us!'

Later, when we got back to the guard shack, as soon as we walked in, everyone (about 50 people) screamed "The horses are after us! the horses are after us!"  lol

Ah the good old days!

The problem with the 49ers in 1988 wasn't the level of competition but the stupid quarterback controversy that Bill Walsh tried to create. The team hated him for that, and they almost quit on him. The very next year they made it a point to crush the competition and repeat to show they did not need him to win.

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Ah the good old days!

Dude, that’s an awesome story! Lol

the thing is, I don’t think the AFC is that tough...to me it’s the Pats and everyone else. 

18 minutes ago, jfluke said:

Just think, we get to watch Boys/Skins next Thursday

That will be one ugly game

Dude, that’s an awesome story! Lol

the thing is, I don’t think the AFC is that tough...to me it’s the Pats and everyone else. 

It's a great memory, though I wasn't too happy at the time to be missing the second half of the Super Bowl to guard horses. lol

If the Eagles can make it to the Super Bowl and play the Patriots, I'd love to avenge XXXIX. Force Brady into a shameful retirement and spur a 10 year run for the Eagles where Carson Wentz gets a ring for each finger...

10 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's a great memory, though I wasn't too happy at the time to be missing the second half of the Super Bowl to guard horses. lol

If the Eagles can make it to the Super Bowl and play the Patriots, I'd love to avenge XXXIX. Force Brady into a shameful retirement and spur a 10 year run for the Eagles where Carson Wentz gets a ring for each finger...

Let’s calm down there little buddy, I don’t want to see all that! I’m hoping ya’ll get the #1 seed and then in the first playoff game Wentz butt fumbles and then later has to hold for fg’s and drops the ball on what would be a game winning  18 yard FG attempt. He is so embarrassed that this offseason he retires. a couple of weeks later while on  vacation Jeff Lurie runs into Chip at the beach, they look into each other’s  eyes and decide to give it one more try. Lurie  fires Doug, brings Chip back who then trades a #1 and Jay Ajai to get Sammy Sleeves back......

a guy can dream.can’t he? 

Just now, Stephen1 said:

Let’s calm down there little buddy, I don’t want to see all that! I’m hoping ya’ll get the #1 seed and then in the first playoff game Wentz butt fumbles and then later has to hold for fg’s and drops the ball on a 18 yard FG attempt. He is so embarrassed that this offseason he retires. a couple of weeks later while on  vacation Jeff Lurie runs into Chip at the beach, they look into eqch other’s  eyes and decide to give it one more try. Lurie  fires Doug, brings Chip back who then trades a #1 and Jay Ajai to get Sammy Sleeves back......

a guy can dream.can’t he? 

Hey, I stopped short of having the NFL renamed to the WFL... The Wentz Football League, and the league headquarters are moved from NY to Carson City, Wentzylvania.

Skins had a tough time beating the Giants ....  Had a hard time watching the game pretty boring.   Kirk like always doing stupid stuff  , holding the ball too long , messed up 4th and 1 .  He seem to never miss doing something boneheaded .    This is his 6th year now in NFL .....

5 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

Skins had a tough time beating the Giants ....  Had a hard time watching the game pretty boring.   Kirk like always doing stupid stuff  , holding the ball too long , messed up 4th and 1 .  He seem to never miss doing something boneheaded .    This is his 6th year now in NFL .....

I think the 4th and 1 was on the HC. Kirk was gesturing go then to call a play, I mean how do you call a timeout to go for it, and not call a play until there are like 7 seconds on the play clock? 

39 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

I think the 4th and 1 was on the HC. Kirk was gesturing go then to call a play, I mean how do you call a timeout to go for it, and not call a play until there are like 7 seconds on the play clock? 

you cant call back to back timeouts 

33 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

you cant call back to back timeouts 

Yeah, I know, i’m Just saying, you call a timeout so you can go for it, you get like a full minute for the timeout, then the play clock starts and you get an additional 35 or 40 seconds and you still can’t decide what play to run and call it in time and you get a delay of game? that’s nuts! 

5 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

Exactly. That screw-up was all on Gruden. He initially decided to punt, got booed mercilessly, then his insecure a** decided to go for it. But since he had no intention of going for it, he had no play ready for that 4th and 1 scenario. He then spends way too much time thinking of which play to call, when a damn QB sneak would’ve got the job done. 

None of that is on Kirk, who’s sitting there in the huddle waiting for a play. Now if Kirk had the personality of a Rodgers or Brady, he’d have called his own play while Gruden struggled through his brain fart. But that isn’t Kirk, who I think still hasn’t gained any chemistry with Jay as his playcaller and not McVay. 

15 minutes ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Exactly. That screw-up was all on Gruden. He initially decided to punt, got booed mercilessly, then his insecure a** decided to go for it. But since he had no intention of going for it, he had no play ready for that 4th and 1 scenario. He then spends way too much time thinking of which play to call, when a damn QB sneak would’ve got the job done. 

None of that is on Kirk, who’s sitting there in the huddle waiting for a play. Now if Kirk had the personality of a Rodgers or Brady, he’d have called his own play while Gruden struggled through his brain fart. But that isn’t Kirk, who I think still hasn’t gained any chemistry with Jay as his playcaller and not McVay. 

kirk took too long didnt hurry anyone up  and wasted the last few seconds trying to call a timeout .   Gruden lives off his bros name and should of stuck with Arena football .  Kirk 6 years in the NFL shows why he was drafted when he was .  He is not a bad QB but he is not a great QB either .  With right coach and team can win you superbowl so there is that  plus 

On 11/23/2017 at 11:23 PM, pisceschica said:

I can’t wait till Sunday to watch a competent team-_-

A.G.R.E.E.D! I hate using this reference, but all the Thanksgiving games were like watching paint dry. Just horrible.