ncmalko1

Super Bowl in Minneapolis?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 55thAndRams said:

As for Minneapolis, Super Bowl XL was in Detroit and I think that was generally considered a success. MN can't be too much different, can it?

Super Bowl XXVI was in Minneapolis at the Metro Dome in January 1992. So anyone curious about how a Super Bowl in Minnesota might go, can just look back at that one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in South Florida and I have thought about the possibility of the SB, and if I would go to Minnesota to go to it.... The biggest possible issue that I can think of, is Air Travel.  There could be a blizzard, 10ft of snow, Ice storm, etc..etc...  To feel completely comfortable and not afraid of a flight being cancelled, id likely go 4-6 days prior to the game.  That in itself might keep me from going. WTF am I going to do in Minnesota, in Feb. for a week?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2017 at 12:56 AM, ncmalko1 said:

Could you imagine playing the Vikings in the NFC Championships and winning? Back to back games in freezing cold Minneapolis. Keep the games in LA, Phoenix and Miami!

Umm... Why would we play back to back games in Minneapolis? Those boys are going to have to come to Philly for the NFC Championship game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 8:47 PM, bobbywizdum said:

You wanna tailgate in 20 below? 

I think it a HUGE MISTAKE ... I dont think they even realize the snow they get there .  I have Family in St Cloud   ..... The weather there makes Philly winters look like  Florida 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you build a new stadium, you get a Super.  Northern City?  Has to be domed, unless you're New York.

LA gets one as soon as their new digs are done. Atlanta will get one............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like San Diego...the league should build a new super facility there, with all the amenities.  It is a great place to have yearly Super Bowls.  The traffic is 100 times better then the LA area and typically the weather is much more predictable!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Captain F said:

I live in South Florida and I have thought about the possibility of the SB, and if I would go to Minnesota to go to it.... The biggest possible issue that I can think of, is Air Travel.  There could be a blizzard, 10ft of snow, Ice storm, etc..etc...  To feel completely comfortable and not afraid of a flight being cancelled, id likely go 4-6 days prior to the game.  That in itself might keep me from going. WTF am I going to do in Minnesota, in Feb. for a week?  

Unless I got free tickets, I'd just stay home for the game, regardless of where it's played (unless it was played in Virginia Beach... which technically, I'd still be staying home but I'd try to get tickets). But spending a couple thousand dollars for a single ticket to a single game? No, not when I have a better seat in my living room.

What I'd rather do, is go to the parade on Tuesday after the game. It'd be my first time visiting Philadelphia, and well worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Unless I got free tickets, I'd just stay home for the game, regardless of where it's played (unless it was played in Virginia Beach... which technically, I'd still be staying home but I'd try to get tickets). But spending a couple thousand dollars for a single ticket to a single game? No, not when I have a better seat in my living room.

What I'd rather do, is go to the parade on Tuesday after the game. It'd be my first time visiting Philadelphia, and well worth it.

Agree, unless there was some miracle ticket option that allowed me to actually pay the true ticket price and not the inflated ridiculous Super Bowl tickets price, or some nice person gifted me the tickets, then I won't be attending any Super Bowl any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PhillyDan1969 said:

I like San Diego...the league should build a new super facility there, with all the amenities.  It is a great place to have yearly Super Bowls.  The traffic is 100 times better then the LA area and typically the weather is much more predictable!!!

 

Hosting at different locations is a boom to those local economies though.  However, what you're suggesting could work similar to events as the draft which used to be in NY for a long time before moving, and the Pro Bowl which was in Hawaii every year until recent.  

Nashville is actually trying to make the case to host as it's a growing city.  They hosted the NHL All-Star game and it was a success. They host music award shows, have a convention center, a pro football and hockey team each with their own stadium, lots of night life.  It actually would be a good location for a future draft as a test run for handling the NFL crowd size and media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be undoable, because few communities outside of NFL communities have a proper stadium, but if non NFL cities have a proper stadium, it'd be nice to have a Super Bowl in a place like that. For instance, if Hawaii's stadium was appropriate, have one there. Or some other places like that.

Short of that, I have no issues with the locations that they've picked, other than I'd like to see more cities get the chance. Philly, for instance. But the Linc likely isn't large enough for the NFL's desire.

FedEx Field is large enough, but it's now an older stadium and would probably need a lot of upgrades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It would be undoable, because few communities outside of NFL communities have a proper stadium, but if non NFL cities have a proper stadium, it'd be nice to have a Super Bowl in a place like that. For instance, if Hawaii's stadium was appropriate, have one there. Or some other places like that.

Short of that, I have no issues with the locations that they've picked, other than I'd like to see more cities get the chance. Philly, for instance. But the Linc likely isn't large enough for the NFL's desire.

FedEx Field is large enough, but it's now an older stadium and would probably need a lot of upgrades.

If I had the ability to see the future, and it said the Eagles were going to win the Super Bowl in a given year, then I would love for it to be at the Linc, but otherwise, I have a petty issue with other teams having their logo painted in our endzones, and seeing someone else celebrate a championship on our field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Hosting at different locations is a boom to those local economies though.  However, what you're suggesting could work similar to events as the draft which used to be in NY for a long time before moving, and the Pro Bowl which was in Hawaii every year until recent.  

Nashville is actually trying to make the case to host as it's a growing city.  They hosted the NHL All-Star game and it was a success. They host music award shows, have a convention center, a pro football and hockey team each with their own stadium, lots of night life.  It actually would be a good location for a future draft as a test run for handling the NFL crowd size and media.

I prefer the idea of a full time Super Bowl site that is neutral, that's why I suggested San Diego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2017 at 11:25 AM, BCEagle said:

OMG, could you imagine the traffic jams if the Superbowl were held in Key West? Maybe the league can hold it at Wembley stadium, so teams don't have to travel there during the regular season. Bearing in mind that host cities usually spend more money than they make, of course. Or St. Louis, which is a decent football town that can't seem to manage to keep an NFL team.

The problem with St. Louis was it was, is and always will be a BASEBALL town first.  The Cardinals dominate St. Louis and always will.

Another problem with St. Louis is there isn't the level of corporate support needed to support an NFL team.  The Busch family is WHY baseball succeeds as it does there and other than Busch, McDonnell-Douglas is the only other company on that level based in St. Louis.  That was one reason the Rams moved.

The Rams would never have moved to St. Louis in the first place had (from what I remember) Georgia Frontierre not become sick and tired of the LAKERS dominating everything in LA for years.  LA has been a LAKERS town first dating back to the "showtime" days of the 1980's and has been the one city where the NBA trumps the NFL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PhillyDan1969 said:

I like San Diego...the league should build a new super facility there, with all the amenities.  It is a great place to have yearly Super Bowls.  The traffic is 100 times better then the LA area and typically the weather is much more predictable!!!

San Diego tried to get a new stadium built for the Chargers but could not get the funding needed to be passed.   THAT's why the Chargers moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It would be undoable, because few communities outside of NFL communities have a proper stadium, but if non NFL cities have a proper stadium, it'd be nice to have a Super Bowl in a place like that. For instance, if Hawaii's stadium was appropriate, have one there. Or some other places like that.

Short of that, I have no issues with the locations that they've picked, other than I'd like to see more cities get the chance. Philly, for instance. But the Linc likely isn't large enough for the NFL's desire.

FedEx Field is large enough, but it's now an older stadium and would probably need a lot of upgrades.

FedEx Field is only 21 years old.  Why Snyder was even considering building a new stadium was silly (and replacing the Georgia Dome with Mercedes-Benz Stadium, other than the new one having a retractable roof was silly as well).

FedEx Field should be able to host a Super Bowl as capacity as I remember is around 94,000.  The weather would not be too much of an issue as a lot of political figures would likely want to be at FedEx Field for the Super Bowl regardless of the weather.   Maybe in any rebuild of FedEx Field include building a retractable roof and enclosing it would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 8:06 PM, bobbywizdum said:

Yeah. I mean its a dome but who the hell wants to visit minnesota in february. Totally not thinking of the fans. Personally i think a special stadium should be built for it in a state with no pro sports like kentucky, mew mexico, or hawaii. Either there or keywest. Have the pro bowl, super bowl, draft, and some preseason games there as well as any game 7s in hockey, mlb, or the nba, the ncaa football and basketball championships. Just make it the big event center. 

I really hope that is a typo :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 7:46 PM, bobbywizdum said:

Kentucky is gorgeous. Have u ever been there? They have no pro sports so it would be a good feature. The derby does well as does their college bball attendance. New Mexico seriously could use the economy boost that it would bring and would help continue with the whole mexico city push.  Hawaii would be great but hard to access. 

Lived in Louisville for a while. It's a deeply underrated city. Beautiful and fairly progressive. Only problem is the whole place smells like Bourbon mash!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

San Diego tried to get a new stadium built for the Chargers but could not get the funding needed to be passed.   THAT's why the Chargers moved.

I know some folks who live in San Diego and the tax system that the city and the Chargers ownership was asking to get the Chargers stadium built was not acceptable and the city and the Chargers were clearly on different pages.  Truth be told, it seemed to my friends like the Chargers just wanted to leave, they didn't want to compromise.

If the NFL truly considered the idea of permanent neutral Super Bowl sites, I think San Diego based on the revenue alone would consider upgrading or building a new facility were the old Qualcomm stadium currently resides.  You look at how cities push hard to get the Olympics and you have to think you could drum up the same type of hype for annual Super Bowls.  Consider if the NFL set up 4 neutral sites with beautiful amenities, weather, and great tourist type settings, it could be like the way the college football championship rotates now.  Certainly I could see cities like Honolulu, Orlando, and San Diego as being top contenders.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a good 4th neutral site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

FedEx Field is only 21 years old.  Why Snyder was even considering building a new stadium was silly (and replacing the Georgia Dome with Mercedes-Benz Stadium, other than the new one having a retractable roof was silly as well).

FedEx Field should be able to host a Super Bowl as capacity as I remember is around 94,000.  The weather would not be too much of an issue as a lot of political figures would likely want to be at FedEx Field for the Super Bowl regardless of the weather.   Maybe in any rebuild of FedEx Field include building a retractable roof and enclosing it would work.

I don't disagree, but owners want 'new' now. Especially Snyder, he didn't build FedEx Field, Jack Kent Cooke did. So I'm sure Snyder wants to build his own stadium with his own touches.

The Vet was the Eagles home for 32 years and RFK was used for the Redskins for 35 years. So FedEx Field is moving toward its old age. 21 isn't quite there yet, but it's probably a good time to start planning for either some major renovations or for its replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now