55thAndRams

How many years does a Super Bowl win buy a coach?

How many years does a Super Bowl win buy a coach?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many years does a Super Bowl win buy a coach?

• 6+

I was wondering about John Harbaugh's job status, and it got me wondering: How many years after a Super Bowl win does a coach have in which he is pretty much guaranteed not to be fired? 

Since 2000, only Billick and Gruden have been fired; Billick 7 years after an SB, Gruden 6 years.  Coughlin was supposedly mutual.  Oftentimes that's BS but it seemed true to me in that case though maybe Giants fans can shed some light on that. Cowher and Dungy retired.  It looked like Payton was a goner after a 7-9 season in 2015 and a second consecutive no-playoff appearance, but then he surprisingly signed an extension.

Harbaugh has gone 8-8, 10-6, 5-11, and 8-8 in the four full seasons following the Super Bowl. If they finish, say, 7-9, could be on the chopping block, or is he still in the Super Bowl grace period?

In the last 17 years, here are the coaches that have won Super Bowls and were fired and when they were fired:

Brian Billick - Hired by the Ravens in 1999, won Super Bowl in 2000 and was fired in 2007 after having 2 losing seasons in 3 years and never really excelling on the offensive side of the ball despite having an offensive background.

Jon Gruden - Traded to the Buccaneers in 2002 by the Raiders, which he helped rebuild from the bottom up. He won the Super Bowl that year and from 2003 - 2008 went to the playoffs 3 times and only hit over 10 wins once in that time and didn't win a single playoff game. Gruden's time in Tampa was marred with the inability to find himself a franchise QB and also struggled offensively despite being an offensive genius. 

Tom Coughlin - Hired by the Giants in 2004 and won Super Bowls in 2007 and 2011 with the Giants. He was fired/formerly stepped down at the end of the 2015 season after 3 consecutive under .500 seasons. Was a coach that was big on disciplining his players, but at the end allowed them to run rampant and do whatever it was that they wanted. 

The question is when does a Super Bowl winning Head Coach start losing his luster with the team? Because Brian Billick was fired just one year after a 13-3 season. Sure, they went 5-11 in the next season, but does a losing season negate a winning season? 

You never know how things will shake out. But, once you have a coach that has proven he can get to the SB, you hold on to him as long as possible IMO. 

With the eagles probably 10 years tbh

Just -getting- to one bought Andy a very long time here

In the fans' eyes, I'd say a Super Bowl winning coach buys 5 years. The next season is a honeymoon so anything can happen, it doesn't matter. Then I feel a normal coach really has 2 years to prove his worth. Back-to-back losing seasons isn't going to go well with the fanbase. A third one and you're definitely gone. I feel like the Super Bowl buys  one more chance. So it's 5 years until the fans start turning on you.  Regarding the team, there are contracts and things so it can vary.

This is the Ravens 5th year since winning the Super Bowl. The honeymoon is over. I think the Ravens feel like they went into a rebuild of sorts in the years after the Super Bowl. So getting back into the playoffs this year is a positive development. If they fail to make the playoffs this year, Harbaugh is on notice. His contract expires in 2019, but they could fire him next season if the Ravens don't improve.

If DP wins a Super Bowl, he'll have the job for life! He can step down whenever he wants!

One thing that's interesting: A Super Bowl appearance doesn't seem to buy you much of anything. 

Super Bowl losers since 2000

Fassel - Lost SB in 2000 season; fired halfway through 2003.

Martz - Lost SB in 2001 season; fired after 2005 season.

Callahan - Lost SB in 2002; fired after 2003 season.

Fox - Lost SB in 2003; fired after 2010 season.

Reid - Lost SB in 2004; fired after 2012 season.

Holmgren - retired

Smith - Lost SB in 2006;  fired after 2012 season.

Belichick - had previously won 3 Super Bowls, so obviously protected.

Whisenhunt - Lost SB in 2008; fired after 2012.

Caldwell - Lost SB in 2009; fired after 2011.

Tomlin - previously won Super Bowl, so protected

Belichick 

Harbaugh - lost SB in 2012; fired after 2014 season.

Fox - Lost SB in 2013; fired after 2014 season.

Carroll - Previously won Super Bowl, so protected

Rivera's obviously gets a mulligan for one bad year after a 15-1 NFC Champion season, but if they miss the playoffs this year and next year too, I could see him getting fired.

It depends on the circumstances: 

--how well is that coach getting along with upper management. If a coach and management aren't seeing eye to eye, then a HC could be blown out after one bad year after a SB.

--how competitive is the team the following years after a SB win. If the team is 3-13 vs 8-8, that would make a huge difference.

--what head coach candidates are out there that would be an improvement

--is the coach a coach that free agents want to play for?

On average, I think most teams would keep a coach for 3 years after a SB win...but there are so many factors at play.

15 hours ago, Captain F said:

If Pederson brings us a SB Win, he can stay as long as he effin wants. =)  

Couldn't agree with this more. Rocky goes down, Wentz goes up, and Pederson can go in place of the liberty bell.

17 hours ago, Captain F said:

If Pederson brings us a SB Win, he can stay as long as he effin wants. =)  

If Pederson wins the SB, make him the both Mayor of Philly and the Governor of PA forever.  I'd guarantee him at least another 10 years as head coach.  

4 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

I wonder if Mike Brown thinks Marvin Lewis has won a bunch of Superbowls?

If you're talking about Money Bowl wins, then yes is probably answer. He's happy with way team has been for years.

Three years. I guarantee if the Eagles win the SB and follow that up with three straight losing seasons, both fans and the media will be calling for Pederson’s Head. 

Two SB wins or even multiple appearances buys you much more time. 

I definitely think a coach gets a pass for at least 3 years.  Coughlin won two SB's and still got chased out of town though.

If Peterson wins it, keep him 4 Evah!!!

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, BKLYNYG said:

Three years. I guarantee if the Eagles win the SB and follow that up with three straight losing seasons, both fans and the media will be calling for Pederson’s Head. 

Two SB wins or even multiple appearances buys you much more time. 

If Pederson wins the Eagles a Super Bowl, he'll be canonized Saint Doug the Redeemer. If that victory is against Brady and the Patriots, Saint Doug the Avenger. 

I think John Harbaugh's Super Bowl grace period is just about up.

This is year 5 since the Ravens won it in 2012. In all fairness, he's lost the likes of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, guy who don't come along every day, future HoF'ers, no doubt.

He has had the same QB. He has had Terrell Suggs (though he was lost most of a season due to injury). The Ray Rice thing hurt, and their receivers, since Anquan Boldin (another future HoF'er , potentially), haven't really been that good.

It's a mixed bag, really. But if they fail to make the playoffs this season, I'd say he's on the block. I think personally that he should get more time, because team management is just as accountable as he is, and again, he's lost some great players to retirement. Besides a mediocre won-lost record since 2012, the only real strong argument against him is that Flacco has not progressed - but again, Flacco hasn't exactly had a great set of receivers to throw to.

As far as a general grace period, there is some good will extended to just about every coach who wins one. I'd say three years is pretty much guaranteed, based on the OP's and PhillyGreenMachine's summary of coaching tenures post-SB win. I'd say five years is a nice middle-ground, where a coach still gets some good will, but if things start or have been going somewhat poorly, will then be dismissed or at least fall out of grace to some extent.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If Pederson wins the Eagles a Super Bowl, he'll be canonized Saint Doug the Redeemer. If that victory is against Brady and the Patriots, Saint Doug the Avenger. 

So, it's Saint Doug the Avenger.

Doug gets a long time in my book. 

I'm thinking July. If he can’t win another by July, then I’m not sure he will again. 

Thought it would be interesting to bump this and get your guys' perspective now that the Eagles have won the Super Bowl.

How many consecutive, say, 3-13 seasons from now would it take for you to want Dougie at least considered to be fired?

5 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

Thought it would be interesting to bump this and get your guys' perspective now that the Eagles have won the Super Bowl.

How many consecutive, say, 3-13 seasons from now would it take for you to want Dougie at least considered to be fired?

After the Super Bowl, did you regret turning your back on the Eagles?

On 11/30/2017 at 7:01 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

wooo Sick