Wallyhorse

Ben McAdoo and Jerry Reese FIRED by the Giants, Steve Spagnolo Interim HC

Recommended Posts

Looks like it's official:

As reported on 98.7 ESPN New York, word is ESPN New York's Ian Rappaport was told by McAdoo himself that he was fired.

UPDATE: Chris Mortensen now also reporting that Jerry Reese has been FIRED in addition to McAdoo.

2nd UPDATE: New York Daily News article noting the firings of McAdoo and Reese.

3rd UPDATE: Steve Spagnolo to be Interim Head Coach.

Edited by Wallyhorse
Adding link noting firings and that Steve Spagnolo will be Interim HC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only way to handle a season as disastrous as this. Clean house. 

As a Giants fan, this is new territory. We're usually pretty stable at the QB position as well as coach and GM. Should be interesting....and maybe a little exciting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

This is the only way to handle a season as disastrous as this. Clean house. 

As a Giants fan, this is new territory. We're usually pretty stable at the QB position as well as coach and GM. Should be interesting....and maybe a little exciting. 

It'll give you a lot to talk about.  Although the search for a franchise QB is a rocky road.  Any early names on GMs?  I'm assuming they do it the right way and hire a GM then let them get the coach and players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rambo said:

It'll give you a lot to talk about.  Although the search for a franchise QB is a rocky road.  Any early names on GMs?  I'm assuming they do it the right way and hire a GM then let them get the coach and players.

Yup, it definitely will give us a lot to talk about. The Giants are stable, which is obviously preferred, but I don't mind a little excitement after this season was such a waste. 

I really have no clue on GM candidates. I wonder if the new guy will go all in and try and trade Eli for a 3rd or 4th rounder and then go nuts and trade one of our stars (OBJ for a 1st?) to really get things moving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

This is the only way to handle a season as disastrous as this. Clean house. 

As a Giants fan, this is new territory. We're usually pretty stable at the QB position as well as coach and GM. Should be interesting....and maybe a little exciting. 

Im only surprised at how exciting it is. 

Everything but Eli is new or going to be.

I full expect David Gettleman's phone to be buzzing shortly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BKLYNYG said:

Yup, it definitely will give us a lot to talk about. The Giants are stable, which is obviously preferred, but I don't mind a little excitement after this season was such a waste. 

I really have no clue on GM candidates. I wonder if the new guy will go all in and try and trade Eli for a 3rd or 4th rounder and then go nuts and trade one of our stars (OBJ for a 1st?) to really get things moving. 

Just hope you don't get a Chip who would release OBJ.  :roll:

 

 

 

 

 

I laugh because it hides the hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, rambo said:

It'll give you a lot to talk about.  Although the search for a franchise QB is a rocky road.  Any early names on GMs?  I'm assuming they do it the right way and hire a GM then let them get the coach and players.

As long as they keep their hands off Joe Douglas for GM I'm good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nipples said:

As long as they keep their hands off Joe Douglas for GM I'm good. 

Yeah, him and Howie have made a pretty good combo.  I think he has a pretty good gig here.  He gets to do GM duties when it comes to player personnel (minus trades & contracts) and doesn't really have any pressure or blame on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet a number of gamblers made big $$$ on this. McAdoo’s odds on being the first coach fired had to be pretty long; the Giants were one of the three most popular NFC Super Bowl picks with the Cowboys and Packers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This just means the Gmen will be fighting hard the last few games, including against us in 2 weeks. Spags will be fighting to become the new full time coach, Players will be playing to keep their jobs with a new coach/GM. The gmen game became much tougher now in 2 weeks. 

I like spags, part of me wants to see him land another HC job, other part of me says hell no, esp the gmen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

This just means the Gmen will be fighting hard the last few games, including against us in 2 weeks. Spags will be fighting to become the new full time coach, Players will be playing to keep their jobs with a new coach/GM. The gmen game became much tougher now in 2 weeks. 

I like spags, part of me wants to see him land another HC job, other part of me says hell no, esp the gmen. 

We have like 6 starters left standing. You'll be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While there's a lot of time left in the season, it's clear that McAdoo not only soured with the players, but with management as well once benching Eli came in to play.  It's almost impressive to be so bad and get fired this early... I wonder what's the earliest a head coach has been fired in a season?  You see it in other sports where guys get removed very early in the season, but never the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

This is the only way to handle a season as disastrous as this. Clean house. 

As a Giants fan, this is new territory. We're usually pretty stable at the QB position as well as coach and GM. Should be interesting....and maybe a little exciting. 

Giants fans deserve some excitement after the dumpster fire they were subjected to this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Northern Green Wings said:

While there's a lot of time left in the season, it's clear that McAdoo not only soured with the players, but with management as well once benching Eli came in to play.  It's almost impressive to be so bad and get fired this early... I wonder what's the earliest a head coach has been fired in a season?  You see it in other sports where guys get removed very early in the season, but never the NFL.

George Allen after 2 preseason games

Lane Kiffen after 4 games of his second year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

George Allen after 2 preseason games

Lane Kiffen after 4 games of his second year. 

LOL what a stinker he was. Everyone thought he was going to be a prodigy from being under the wings of Pete Carroll and not to mention the son of Monte Kiffen. How does one fail so hard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

LOL what a stinker he was. Everyone thought he was going to be a prodigy from being under the wings of Pete Carroll and not to mention the son of Monte Kiffen. How does one fail so hard?

I think he was to cocky. He ended up flaming out in college too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

This is the only way to handle a season as disastrous as this. Clean house. 

As a Giants fan, this is new territory. We're usually pretty stable at the QB position as well as coach and GM. Should be interesting....and maybe a little exciting. 

If they're smart, they'll cut ties with Eli. He's an icon who's been deteriorating for years and they feel tied to him. We'll see if they have the cajones to move on.

It's a tough business...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note:

Do you all really believe that benching Eli was McAdoo's decision??? I don't.

I'm willing to bet that call came straight from Mara and then Mara made McAdoo the scapegoat for the decision. Why in the world would McAdoo bench Eli? McAdoo was trying to look as GOOD AS POSSIBLE because he KNEW he was gonna get fired. You think McAdoo really thought Geno MFing Smith was the way to make him look good?? No chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sucks....was thinking Dallas might have an easy one this week vs Geno...now we all know how this ends...whenever a team fires the coach (especially one players wanted gone) the interim guy comes in all full of piss and vinegar, players are juiced up, at least for 1 week and they play well....Eli will get his job back, he will be amped...the whole team will.

i remember in 2010, Dallas was like 1-8 or something, getting blown out every week...fire Wade...then Dallas takes it to NY...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These two clowns screwed with records and history when they halted Eli's starting streak one week only to get canned the next.  Eli has to be pissed but happy at the same time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, heavywchamp said:

These two clowns screwed with records and history when they halted Eli's starting streak one week only to get canned the next.  Eli has to be pissed but happy at the same time. 

Yes, but now Philip Rivers (who ironically the Giants actually drafted in 2004 and of course was traded to the Chargers for Eli) will pass Eli for second in the coming weeks.  I'm sure the Mannings are not happy with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now