Procus

Sashi Brown out in Cleveland

10 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

Who's to say they won't?  The new GM has a few live games to evaluate everyone and decide who gets canned.

The only thing anyone has to go on right now is the owner saying that the coach and DePodesta will be there for 2018. That's not a guarantee, of course, but we're talking about Cleveland. They don't do the 'smart thing'.

Cleveland ain't going anywhere until they fully repent and ask the Football Gods forgiveness for the DePodesta experiment.  Burning him at the stake might do it.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Maybe. But when the quotes are derogatory ("baseball guy"), you have to wonder if there isn't an agenda.

23 minutes ago, jfluke said:

Maybe. But when the quotes are derogatory ("baseball guy"), you have to wonder if there isn't an agenda.

"Baseball guy" should be derogatory and the agenda should be to have 'Football guys' running a football team. "Baseball guys" should be in baseball.

21 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

"Baseball guy" should be derogatory and the agenda should be to have 'Football guys' running a football team. "Baseball guys" should be in baseball.

Maybe. If he sucks at his job, he sucks at his job. May not have anything to do with being a "baseball guy". 

Chip was a "football guy". He sucked at just about everything.

Just now, jfluke said:

Maybe. If he sucks at his job, he sucks at his job. May not have anything to do with being a "baseball guy". 

Chip was a "football guy". He sucked at just about everything.

Chip was/is a 'College Football guy'. That usually doesn't translate to the professional game.

Baseball just isn't football. A QB isn't a pitcher.

29 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Chip was/is a 'College Football guy'. That usually doesn't translate to the professional game.

Baseball just isn't football. A QB isn't a pitcher.

Well, it wasnt long ago that Roseman was derided as not being a football guy. Seems to have worked out though.

1 minute ago, jfluke said:

Well, it wasnt long ago that Roseman was derided as not being a football guy. Seems to have worked out though.

Derided by Chip, though, right?

41 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Derided by Chip, though, right?

Chip and many fans. Presumably Tom Gamble as well.

Edit* The point being many "football guys" fail too. Being bad doesnt necessarily have anything to do with baseball.

35 minutes ago, jfluke said:

Chip and many fans. Presumably Tom Gamble as well.

Edit* The point being many "football guys" fail too. Being bad doesnt necessarily have anything to do with baseball.

Calling him a 'baseball guy', isn't (I believe) meant to be an insult to the sport of baseball, it's an insult to the person trying to run a football operation as if it was a baseball team in a baseball league.

You wouldn't want a dentist to do open heart surgery, but that isn't an insult to dentistry.

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Calling him a 'baseball guy', isn't (I believe) meant to be an insult to the sport of baseball, it's an insult to the person trying to run a football operation as if it was a baseball team in a baseball league.

You wouldn't want a dentist to do open heart surgery, but that isn't an insult to dentistry.

Different scenarios, IMO. You're talking trained specializations. And its not about insulting baseball. Its more like, football guys closing ranks against an outsider. 

So, I'll take what was said with a grain of salt.

29 minutes ago, jfluke said:

Different scenarios, IMO. You're talking trained specializations. And its not about insulting baseball. Its more like, football guys closing ranks against an outsider. 

So, I'll take what was said with a grain of salt.

I don't look at it as 'closing ranks', and I'd also look at what GM's do as a type of 'trained specialization', both football and baseball (as well as the other sports).

Here you had 'baseball guys' coming to a football team trying to run the football team the way a baseball team would be run, as if the method was interchangeable.

I take it you're a big baseball fan though? Personally, I've never been a fan of the sport. The little tiny bit that I read about the experiment in Cleveland gave me the impression that they (the baseball guys), were arrogantly trying to impose their 'way' of 'doing business' on the NFL and anyone that said differently was just ignored.

Hue Jackson was apparently enamored with Carson Wentz and very much wanted him. The 'baseball guys', didn't see a 'top 20 QB' though, so they 'snookered' the stupid Eagles into taking the 2nd pick of the draft.

Yeah, that's worked out really well for the Browns.  

6 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

They just cut Kenny Britt after just signing him this season

I remember people on here clamouring for the Eagles to sign him. Britt sucks, I was pretty happy the Browns offered the cash up for him. I'd still rather Smith and that says a lot. 

23 minutes ago, Mat said:

I remember people on here clamouring for the Eagles to sign him. Britt sucks, I was pretty happy the Browns offered the cash up for him. I'd still rather Smith and that says a lot. 

I remember that as well. I wanted nothing to do with him at the time. 

8 hours ago, jfluke said:

After many years being in Pro Football business, you eventually become a football guy .   It only took him how long ?  :D 

How it is possible to be a Cleveland Browns fan and actually pay for tickets or merchandise? I was just looking at their annual records and since 1980, they've only had 9 seasons above .500. Since they came back into existence in 1999, they've only had 2 and in the past decade, they've only had 1.

Since 1999, they have a points differential of -1,917 points (as of week 14 of 2017). In that same time span, the Eagles have a points differential of +1,027.

How can fans tolerate that level of suckage for so long?

If you think about it, you have to really feel sorry for that fan base.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

How it is possible to be a Cleveland Browns fan and actually pay for tickets or merchandise? I was just looking at their annual records and since 1980, they've only had 9 seasons above .500. Since they came back into existence in 1999, they've only had 2 and in the past decade, they've only had 1.

Since 1999, they have a points differential of -1,917 points (as of week 14 of 2017). In that same time span, the Eagles have a points differential of +1,027.

How can fans tolerate that level of suckage for so long?

If you think about it, you have to really feel sorry for that fan base.

Sheep. I understanding having pride, but don't be a complete naïve imbecile to follow behind someone who constantly trip on their shoelaces.

Just now, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Sheep. I understanding having pride, but don't be a complete naïve imbecile to follow behind someone who constantly trip on their shoelaces.

Personally, I could never turn my back on the Eagles. I'll forever be a fan, regardless. That's not to say I'd be spending thousands (or hundreds) of dollars per year for 25 to 30 years worth of constant losing seasons.  There HAS to be some sort of accountability.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:17 PM, Mat said:

Britt looked better under Groh than Torrey Smith does, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Britt looked better under Groh than Torrey Smith does, that's for sure.

He's older, slower, has less yards per game and is good for a couple of key drops. Can he play QB or MLB?

1 hour ago, Mat said:

He's older, slower, has less yards per game and is good for a couple of key drops. Can he play QB or MLB?

Err. I didn't mean for us, just about people saying he was worse than Smith. lol

2 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Err. I didn't mean for us, just about people saying he was worse than Smith. lol

He isn't exaclty better either. They're both trash. At least Smith knows the playbook and looks to be a good locker room guy. 

Not sure this was the smartest of statements to say out loud to be recorded. True or not, the new GM just insulted every player on the team that got there during that prior regime. Some of them will be discarded next year, but they're going to need some of the others.

Insulting them in public isn't really a good way to instill trust and loyalty lol.

Browns GM Dorsey: Prior regime didn't get real players

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000892793/article/browns-gm-dorsey-prior-regime-didnt-get-real-players

John Dorsey has been on the job in Cleveland less than a week, but the Browns new GM already made sweeping conclusions about the performance of Sashi Brown and the previous regime.

"You know what? You've got to get (Hue Jackson) players,'' Dorsey told 850 WKNR-AM on Thursday, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. "And you know what? I'll come straight out with it. The guys who were here before, that system, they didn't get real players.''

Dorsey made it clear he believes the Browns lacked a strong personnel man to collect Hue Jackson winning players and the new GM backed the coach with a 1-28 record.

"As Bill Parcells would always say, 'you are your record' and you know what? There it is, so that's the truth-teller in this thing,'' Dorsey said. "And I'm going to do my darnedest to get Hue (Jackson) players.

"And that's all I can ask for, and that's all I'm going to do. I like the man.''

In Dorsey's view Sashi Brown might not have collected enough talent to win in the short term, but the former GM left Cleveland with a treasure trove of draft capital, including five picks in the first two rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft. It's Dorsey's job to turn those picks into winning players.

"Let's be real we're 0-13, okay?'' he said. "So let's get this thing rolling. The only way to do that is to start to build this thing.''