Sign in to follow this  
TalonBlood

Still hope- 7 backup QBs have won Superbowls

I don't post new topics very much, (this is where I thought best to place it) but just want be be one of the positive people here as we all try to get through a devastating event. 

Backup QB’s who have won Super Bowls:

1. Roger Staubach 

2. Terry Bradshaw

3. Jim Plunkett

4. Jeff Hostetler

5. Kurt Warner

6. Trent Dilfer

7. Tom Brady

If Plunkett, Dilfer and Hostetler could do it, Foles has a chance, too. We gotta keep hoping and backing our team until the season ends. It can still end with a parade and a trophy. Nothing is impossible.

If the defense steps up, and Doug commits to running the ball, especially seeing as how our remaining games will be in cold weather most likely, then it's not impossible. It will be very difficult however. It's going to be brutal in the NFC playoffs.

I hear you. We are pretty well equipped for cold weather football. The 1st round bye is huge, because the Eagles need to let the other teams knock the snot out of each other before coming to Philly. THAT is one huge variable that could help us. Say the Rams and Seattle played each other as an example and hit each other like they were hitting Philly- the winning team will still get beat up pretty good...brutal, like you said. Get that bye and are odds increase greatly.

49 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Doug Williams?

Yup, I think you are right. I think he did start that season as a backup and became the starter later. Good call.

Doug Williams definitely belongs on the list and Staubach and Bradshaw really don't.

Both of their coaches were playing games with them and they were clearly the better players.

In 1974 Joe Gilliam started the season because he was not part of the 1 week players strike and he had a good preseason. Bradshaw was 19-4 with a playoff win the previous 2 seasons. This was done as a poke at Bradshaw to motivate/put him in his place.

In 1971 Tom Landry alternated Staubach and Morton at QB including alternating them on plays in week 7. Staubach won the job then and never looked back, but he was not really the backup. Morton was the starter in '69 and got most of the starts in '70, so I get why Staubach kinda feels like the backup.

In 1977 Staubach got to beat Morton in the Super Bowl as he had taken over for the Broncos.

1. Roger Staubach 

2. Terry Bradshaw

3. Jim Plunkett

4. Jeff Hostetler

5. Kurt Warner

6. Trent Dilfer

7. Tom Brady

8. Doug Williams ( Dawk4prez pointed this one out-I missed that one. Anybody else know of someone I missed?) 

18 minutes ago, TalonBlood said:

1. Roger Staubach 

2. Terry Bradshaw

3. Jim Plunkett

4. Jeff Hostetler

5. Kurt Warner

6. Trent Dilfer

7. Tom Brady

8. Doug Williams ( Dawk4prez pointed this one out-I missed that one. Anybody else know of someone I missed?) 

I don't know that you can count some of them as back ups. Considering some of them came out of preseason as the starter for the season and some were back ups to horrible QBs that were basically back ups themselves. 

1 minute ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I don't know that you can count some of them as back ups. Considering some of them came out of preseason as the starter for the season and some were back ups to horrible QBs that were basically back ups themselves. 

Which ones are you speaking of?

9 minutes ago, TalonBlood said:

Which ones are you speaking of?

Well Bradshaw was a # 1 overall pick who started for a season or 2. Then stuggled and was benched then took back over and won a Superbowl. So he was not a true back up. 

Trent Dilfer was a back up but he was backing up Tony banks who was hot garbage. They probably still win a super bowl with either the defense was that good. 

Kurt Warner was inserted as a starter in preseason cause of an injury to Trent green. So it was not a last minute injury an a miracle run by a back up. 

Im with you trying to take the positive out of this but, most of those guys didn't come in cold off the bench because of an injury. Most of them came in cause the starter was absolute crap and the back up wasn't gonna be much worse. 

Doug Williams was about race after the starting QB was hurt the first game of the year. 

In other words the only ones comparable to our situation is Hostetler, Brady, and Plunkett. 

I hear ya. But they still WON the Super Bowl, and for the horrible gut hit we all took- I am holding out that hope- because that's all we have= unless we give up on the team after they fought hard all year. Not me, no way.

Maybe I should have put it this way-  7 quarterbacks who failed to win the starting job in the preseason, were given/took over the job midseason, and won the Super Bowl. That's what I was trying to get at. But the MAIN point is to try to hold out hope to Eagles fans that WE ARE STILL IN THIS THING!! THAT is the point.

2 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Trent Dilfer was a back up but he was backing up Tony banks who was hot garbage. They probably still win a super bowl with either the defense was that good. 

Kurt Warner was inserted as a starter in preseason cause of an injury to Trent green. So it was not a last minute injury an a miracle run by a back up. 

Doug Williams was about race after the starting QB was hurt the first game of the year. 

In other words the only ones comparable to our situation is Hostetler, Brady, and Plunkett. 

• Dilfer was far better than Banks. I lived in Maryland that year and it was not close.
  • -- Dilfer had never started a game for the Ravens until Banks earned a benching in week 8.
  • Warner was a nobody backup who had to play because the starter got hurt. This is like Foles 2013 but MVP and Super Bowl and 19 games.
  • -- The only difference between Warner and Brady is about 2 games from the starter.
  • Jay Schroeder was injured early in the 87 season and Schroeder and Williams took turns starting and getting banged up.
  • -- Schroeder was the clear starter and Williams the backup

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/QB-Drama-Is-Nothing-New-In-Washington/c4414e3f-d196-4f16-a598-dbf65fa6e6c1

Schroeder began the year as the undisputed starter over Williams, who was acquired before the `86 season after starring for Tampa Bay and in the United States Football League. But in the `87 season opener, an injured Schroeder was replaced by Williams, thus kicking off a game of musical chairs.

Schroeder was benched twice because of erratic play, while Williams lost his job when a player strike ended and because of a back injury.

Once, when Williams was ready to return as the starter after his injury healed, coach Joe Gibbs kept Schroeder in. Williams became choked up when explaining his feelings about Gibbs’ decision.

In the season finale against Minnesota, Williams replaced an inept Schroeder and led the Redskins to victory. He started in playoff wins over the Bears and Vikings, and in Super Bowl XXII. He threw for a Super Bowl-record 340 yards and four touchdowns in a 42-10 rout of Denver and earned MVP honors.

Whats crappy for Foles is , he will be the fall guy if we lose .  Because everyone will always think what if Wentz was in 

17 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

Whats crappy for Foles is , he will be the fall guy if we lose .  Because everyone will always think what if Wentz was in 

And when he wins Wentz won't get his job back until Foles says so!

3 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

Pretty much!  Even if Foles plays well, it'll be "Well Wentz is better and would of played better/made the difference."

For myself and for this team moving forward.. if we think we were superbowl contenders with Wentz (I do) then they need to show it regardless of QB.  

But really I think what we'll see in the playoffs is that our defense might not be up to task.  The loss of Hicks will be felt... in fact we've felt it the past 2 games when we've played upper echelon NFC teams.

1 hour ago, Northern Green Wings said:

But really I think what we'll see in the playoffs is that our defense might not be up to task.  The loss of Hicks will be felt... in fact we've felt it the past 2 games when we've played upper echelon NFC teams.

Yeah, defense is where they win or lose. It's not so much Hicks is out, as much as they haven't been able to fill the void at MLB. Everywhere else there was a major injury, they found players to cover it up (Douglas and Robinson playing well in the secondary; Sproles is out but they're good with Blount, Clement, and trade for Ajayi; Vaitai is no Peters but he's done an ok job, etc...)

Even if the defense falls short, it'll be Foles fault. People will be like, "Well, Wentz would have put more points on the scoreboard." -_-

21 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Kurt Warner was definitely a backup that season. Trent green was the starter all the way, until the injury.   So the only difference would be the number of games started.

2 hours ago, CountBlah said:

Kurt Warner was definitely a backup that season. Trent green was the starter all the way, until the injury.   So the only difference would be the number of games started.

Yeah, I remember when Green went down, I thought the Rams season was D.O.A. right there.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Doug Williams?

I was just coming here to post this.

I still think he fumbled and the Broncos should have been given the ball...

I'm gonna say some things and please don't jump all over me because full disclosure I was hoping the Eagles would do it this year.  I've got some good friends that like the Eagles, life long fans and I wanted them to get their moment.  I thought it was coming early but hey Wentz is a generational quarterback.  He's really, really, really special.  You won't win with Foles.  I'm sure the Eagles will go 13-3 or 14-2 but they won't get past the Pats if they make it to the super bowl and I doubt they get there.  But they will have a dozen or so other chances when Carson gets healthy.  Really, really feel for you guys.  His injury was just dumb bad luck. 

2 hours ago, Happyfoosball said:

Warner started week 1.  Green went down right away that year. 

Yes, but he was still a backup. An unproven backup at that.

It's a different situation than the one with Simms and Hostetler or now Wentz and Foles, but he was still the backup.