Sign in to follow this  
james1345

Defense Is a liability

Hey Dave,

I'm glad that we won today, but this defense does concern me quite a bit. I really hope this defense plays better down the stretch. Thanks.

Best,

James

They need to reevaluate Darby vs. Douglas. Douglas is slower, but may be better in coverage. The slant route has been killing this team and we will see a lot of that going forward until we stop it.  It's also just the overall defense...tackling...avoiding busted coverages, etc.

1 hour ago, james1345 said:

Hey Dave,

I'm glad that we won today, but this defense does concern me quite a bit. I really hope this defense plays better down the stretch. Thanks.

Best,

James

Hi James, how have you been?

It's understandable to be pissed about the D today, I surely am and I think everyone is (including the D themselves). But let's hold off on getting too down on them. Divisional games are really tough, especially in the NFC East.

46 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Douglas is slower, but may be better in coverage.

On press coverage I definitely think they should be using Douglas more. Either for Mills or Darby but something needs to change. Both got killed tonight for playing way too soft! 

36 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Hi James, how have you been?

It's understandable to be pissed about the D today, I surely am and I think everyone is (including the D themselves). But let's hold off on getting too down on them. Divisional games are really tough, especially in the NFC East.

Hi VaBeach, I'm pretty good, and yourself? But you are talking about a Giants team who is below .500. This game shouldn't have been this close. 

6 minutes ago, james1345 said:

Hi VaBeach, I'm pretty good, and yourself? 

Same here, just enjoying the 12 wins as best as I can.

this defense has been massively overrated all year.    very few elite players on defense.  

secondary continues to be poor.  d-line cannot get pressure despite all of the so called "depth" 

This defense was f'ing atrocious today. Over 500 yards & 29 points to a 2-11 team full of no name scrubs who were averaging 15 points a game.

I was actually screaming at the TV today trying to light a fire under their pathetic asses. Haven't done that in years.

21 hours ago, KOJO said:

This defense was f'ing atrocious today. Over 500 yards & 29 points to a 2-11 team full of no name scrubs who were averaging 15 points a game.

I was actually screaming at the TV today trying to light a fire under their pathetic asses. Haven't done that in years.

Hey KO!

I didn't get the insistence on staying with the soft coverage while they kept getting torched on the first three drives.        Once they tightened that up, Goober became Goober again for the most part.

Two plays kept the game from being a rout without all the late game angst:

1.  The idiotic offsides on the punt.       Get the ball there up 8 and with all the momentum, the game becomes a rout and the Giants quit.

2.  The dropped INT by Bradham.       That's game, set, match.

My concern for the playoffs is the stupid mistakes and missed tackles that have been more and more an issue in recent weeks.      Pederson has shown that he won't completely abandon the run, even trailing, so hopefully that continues.        Just keep Foles in comfortable down and distance situations, and he'll be fine.

2 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Hey KO!

I didn't get the insistence on staying with the soft coverage while they kept getting torched on the first three drives.        Once they tightened that up, Goober became Goober again for the most part.

Two plays kept the game from being a rout without all the late game angst:

1.  The idiotic offsides on the punt.       Get the ball there up 8 and with all the momentum, the game becomes a rout and the Giants quit.

2.  The dropped INT by Bradham.       That's game, set, match.

My concern for the playoffs is the stupid mistakes and missed tackles that have been more and more an issue in recent weeks.      Pederson has shown that he won't completely abandon the run, even trailing, so hopefully that continues.        Just keep Foles in comfortable down and distance situations, and he'll be fine.

Hey MJ! Totally agree. I have no idea what Schwartz was doing yesterday. It was giving me bad flashbacks to Billy Davis when we couldn't stop a slant route to save our lives. They needed to press. And to that point, I have no idea why Rasul Douglas wasn't active. Darby was getting macerated.

The offsides on the punt was infuriating. Led right to a TD, & we had to hear Chris Spielman talk about "Giants Pride" again for the 1 millionth time.

Bradham dropping the pick sent me into a fury though. Third time in 2 weeks. So so frustrating.

High schoolers tackle better than what we've seen the last few weeks. That's got to be the most disappointing part of this. Never an excuse for that.

Only thing I have with Doug is I still wish he would run a little more (especially now and Ajayi in particular). I think he needs to be the feature back now. I know we started the season RBBC, but that was because we didn't have anybody then that was real lead back material. Now we do. Ride him. Still mix in the others, but less.

SOMETHING BETTER HAPPEN! No excuses! It is ALWAYS something with this team when it comes time to winning it all! 57 years is long enough!!!

Cut the slackers! Keep a eye open for any potential trades. To come this far and puke it all away would be beyond words!

1 hour ago, Harry1970 said:

SOMETHING BETTER HAPPEN! No excuses! It is ALWAYS something with this team when it comes time to winning it all! 57 years is long enough!!!

Cut the slackers! Keep a eye open for any potential trades. To come this far and puke it all away would be beyond words!

I'm not so sure they will be cutting guys or making any trades at this point - what you have is what you have.       And while there has been some sloppy play, I don't see anyone 'slacking'.

21 hours ago, KOJO said:

Hey MJ! Totally agree. I have no idea what Schwartz was doing yesterday. It was giving me bad flashbacks to Billy Davis when we couldn't stop a slant route to save our lives. They needed to press. And to that point, I have no idea why Rasul Douglas wasn't active. Darby was getting macerated.

The offsides on the punt was infuriating. Led right to a TD, & we had to hear Chris Spielman talk about "Giants Pride" again for the 1 millionth time.

Bradham dropping the pick sent me into a fury though. Third time in 2 weeks. So so frustrating.

High schoolers tackle better than what we've seen the last few weeks. That's got to be the most disappointing part of this. Never an excuse for that.

Only thing I have with Doug is I still wish he would run a little more (especially now and Ajayi in particular). I think he needs to be the feature back now. I know we started the season RBBC, but that was because we didn't have anybody then that was real lead back material. Now we do. Ride him. Still mix in the others, but less.

Couldn't agree more regarding the run, but then you and I have been down this road too many times, right?       I give Pederson a ton of credit for the team being at this point, but I still worry that in a big spot he'll abandon the run the way his mentor always did.

The Giants pride schiit was nauseating, but then that's the beauty of watching games on the DVR - I like it more for blowing by stuff like that than even commercials.

Schwartz has gotten a lot of praise for the defense's play this year, but he has to take a hit for the last few weeks.       The thing I've never liked about this scheme is that it's all predicated on having a lead and teeing off on the QB while playing a soft zone.       That doesn't work when you aren't winning, and if it hadn't been for the blocked kicks the Eagles very easily might have lost this game.

16 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

I'm not so sure they will be cutting guys or making any trades at this point - what you have is what you have.       And while there has been some sloppy play, I don't see anyone 'slacking'.

Did we watch the same games the past few weeks? If our D plays like it has the past few weeks in the Playoffs we WILL be  one and done and for that some people WILL need to lose their jobs! Gotta hold people accountable!!! If you don't it will be atleast another 57 years without a Lombardi for this franchise! I don't have another 57years to wait so yeah i expect something to happen! 

On 17/12/2017 at 11:09 PM, james1345 said:

But you are talking about a Giants team who is below .500. This game shouldn't have been this close. 

Why shouldn't it have been bud? Third game on the road after 2 back to back west coast games. Divisional game against a team with nothing to play for but their jobs. A new play caller and so an unknown of what to expect to an extent. And a team who put a lot of yards and points on us earlier this year despite our good start and their awful start. 

The defense was a worry but I'm not yet in full panic mode. 

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why shouldn't it have been bud? Third game on the road after 2 back to back west coast games. Divisional game against a team with nothing to play for but their jobs. A new play caller and so an unknown of what to expect to an extent. And a team who put a lot of yards and points on us earlier this year despite our good start and their awful start. 

The defense hasn't played well since they played the Dallas Cowboys. 

18 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not in Panic mode and the playoffs are right around the corner and we are trying to lock up home field? Really? wow

3 hours ago, Harry1970 said:

Not in Panic mode and the playoffs are right around the corner and we are trying to lock up home field? Really? wow

No I'm not because of the reasons I gave above. We know this D is better than what it has shown so there's nothing to say it can't go back to that. Division games are always tricky to figure out. Don't panic yet. There's still time to get things right. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's still time to get things right. 

There are two weeks to 'get things right'. Possibly one if they win Monday. Then another performance like that and it's sayanora season but let me guess, it's ok because our future is bright, amiright?

2 hours ago, Perforator said:

There are two weeks to 'get things right'. Possibly one if they win Monday. Then another performance like that and it's sayanora season but let me guess, it's ok because our future is bright, amiright?

Beyond this year is irrelevant right now. The focus needs to be on this year. But come on this team and defense were dominating a few weeks ago. Why can't they get it right again? Teams blow hot and cold! One minute they look great the next not so much and it can happen so quickly. I'd rather they took a bit of a beating on D now and found form come the play offs. 

Whoa, calm down. (Says the guy who the neighbors understand cheers & yells & swears loudly during Eagles games) The defense played even better than the offense during the winning streak, & will likely carry us as far as we go. The last few games have been ugly, but I believe the pass rush will return fr its absence & that will fix everything else. Malcolm Jenkins whiffing on an open field tackle just is not who he is. It will be alright. (or I will need that straitjacket)

and Dallas Sucks

On 12/19/2017 at 9:55 PM, Harry1970 said:

Did we watch the same games the past few weeks? If our D plays like it has the past few weeks in the Playoffs we WILL be  one and done and for that some people WILL need to lose their jobs! Gotta hold people accountable!!! If you don't it will be atleast another 57 years without a Lombardi for this franchise! I don't have another 57years to wait so yeah i expect something to happen! 

Please stop the drama queen "57 years" thing, because this isn't about you and it's irrelevant regarding this team and its chances.

I responded to your comment that people have to be cut or traded - that isn't happening at this stage of the season.        First of all, the trade deadline is past, and second of all, if you cut someone, who are you just picking up off the street?         The group is what it is, and it's Schwartz' job to come up with solutions to fix the issues.        The time for roster adjustment will be the off season, and I'm sure changes will be made in some spots, notably the secondary.         But for now, this is it, whether you like it or not. 

But here's the thing - you're acting as if this is only about lack of effort while the main issue might be that this group was never that good to begin with but benefited from playing a soft schedule and most often with early leads in games.         We knew going in that the secondary was shaky, and that is being exposed when the DL doesn't dominate the game.       Against better OL's, it's less likely they will dominate like early in the season, and it's up to Schwartz to adjust.       Maybe some press coverage to take away short routes and more blitzes.

They may be one and done, and I know this doesn't matter at the moment, but if you said before this season started that the Eagles would win the division and host a playoff game, most people would have been thrilled, especially if they could at least win one playoff game.         They've definitely got a shot to go further in a watered down league, and I put it on Pederson and Schwartz to make the proper adjustments to at least give them that chance.