Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

Michael Irvin accused of impropriety by former NFLN employee

Michael Irvin accused of impropriety by former NFLN employee

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/21/michael-irvin-accused-of-impropriety-by-former-nfln-employee/

Another former NFL Network employee has come forward with allegations of improper workplace misconduct. And the story told by Erin McParland to Tim Rohan of TheMMQB.com implicates an NFL Network employee who had not been mentioned in the lawsuit filed by former NFLN employee Jami Cantor.

McParland’s account includes allegations involving NFL Network analyst Michael Irvin. Here’s the relevant excerpt from the article:

“[O]nce, on the set of GameDay, [Irvin] grabbed my waist while I was powdering him on set during a commercial break. I was mortified. Not only was this unwanted attention not acceptable, I was worried that everyone witnessing this might believe I thought this was okay. Or worse — welcomed.

"From then on, my guard with Irvin was up. I went out of my way to avoid him, and if I did have to work with him, I’d have to remind him to ‘not touch.’ In what world is it normal for someone to have to remind their coworker to not touch them?”

McParland explains that she reported her concerns about Irvin and now-former NFLN employee Eric Davis to the network’s Human Resources department. She says that he never heard from H.R. about Irvin.

The network handled it very differently with Davis. His employment at the network ended as a result of the allegations made against him, as confirmed by a statement NFLN provided to Rohan: "NFL Media thoroughly investigated the allegations and took swift, appropriate remedial action, including severing our relationship with Mr. Davis. The NFL is committed to providing a safe work environment for all of our employees.”

Davis, whose misconduct included allegedly groping McParland, exited without any public disclosure of his behavior. It’s unknown whether FS1 knew or should have known about the past allegations before hiring him. FS1 has not suspended Davis in the aftermath of the Cantor lawsuit, but ESPN Radio has.

It’s also unknown whether the league has taken or will take any action against Irvin. The statement provided by NFL Media to Rohan doesn’t mention Irvin.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The solution to all of this is obvious. Only higher flamboyantly gay men for those jobs.

or amputees for the analyst jobs.

Didn’t Michael Irvin once try to kill someone who was cutting his hair in the Cowboys locker room, or something? It was in that ‘’Boys Will Be Boys” book.

10 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The solution to all of this is obvious. Only higher flamboyantly gay men for those jobs.

so only former Eagles players?

10 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Her side of the story is that he touched her waist one time.

yeah...if that's the extent of it...that he put his arm around her waist.....it's not outrageous.....but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more.

Its only a matter of time before women stop getting hired completely for a lot of jobs because of this ish. He put his arm around your waist?!

GTFOH:facepalm:

Its getting out of hand. It really is.

Pretty soon chippendales dancers suing every women that come to there show and every boys and girls suing santa clause for touching by sitting on his lap for pictures.

wtf is the wrong with this women.

Get Real

Honestly, this is getting out of hand.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Michael Irvin was guilty of more given his past... and being him.  And I'm all for women standing up for themselves, as I'm sure much worse happens without anyone saying anything.

But this?  This just hurts the other women who have legitimate claims.  While it's not appropriate, if everyone cries wolf over everything that doesn't help anything lol.  This is a case of needing to pick your battles.

I hate Irvin more than anyone but this is getting ridiculous. 

If this was the only occurrence, and it was only the waist, then I think the reaction is overblown. If it was part of a pattern of behavior when she made it clear that it made her feel uncomfortable, then that would be a different story.

Um. I don't really get why you guys are attacking her. She's right, it is inappropriate to behave like this around a co-worker. Unwanted advances are inappropriate in the workplace.

I'm thinking personally, at least this girl is somewhat attractive, assuming it's the one on the right in the first picture, unlike the last one to accuse people of this stuff.

I do get that it's only a small claim, especially with her going to the extent of saying she was 'Mortified', and has nothing on the past girl, but she was right in saying that it's inappropriate. And the people saying that 'before long women will stop being hired altogether!' is just goofy. Her claim is a bit overstated, yes. But it is legitimate as well.

It mentions later in the article that another employee groped her, so I think more than anything this is a case of 'airing all the dirty laundry' because she's a bit fed up with the network. I don't really blame her. Although until we get Michael's side, we're never going to hear if there was conflict resolution going on there.

15 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Um. I don't really get why you guys are attacking her. She's right, it is inappropriate to behave like this around a co-worker. Unwanted advances are inappropriate in the workplace.

I'm thinking personally, at least this girl is somewhat attractive, assuming it's the one on the right in the first picture, unlike the last one to accuse people of this stuff.

I do get that it's only a small claim, especially with her going to the extent of saying she was 'Mortified', and has nothing on the past girl, but she was right in saying that it's inappropriate. And the people saying that 'before long women will stop being hired altogether!' is just goofy. Her claim is a bit overstated, yes. But it is legitimate as well.

It mentions later in the article that another employee groped her, so I think more than anything this is a case of 'airing all the dirty laundry' because she's a bit fed up with the network. I don't really blame her. Although until we get Michael's side, we're never going to hear if there was conflict resolution going on there.

These claims have reached a level of absurdity that has never been seen before. Now, there is zero doubt that some of the women that have come forward against being truly harrassed/assaulted are legit. I'd never deny that it is, and has been, a problem for a very long time for women, and I fully support them.

However, some of these random ridiculous claims, like "he put his hand around my waist", or "he touched my shoulder, and it felt like a rape"(I can almost swear that I saw that in a random article weeks ago) are Fing stupid, and are obviously pathetic attempts to inject themselves into the headlines to ruin the lives and careers of the guys they're accusing of "touching" them. My guess? 80% of the claims fall into this category. It reeks of petty bull****

They want to jump on the bandwagon because it's the trendy thing to do, and it appears that no matter how minor or innocuous the situation is/was in their claim, a huge majority of the populace believes them, and obviously, so do the employers of the guys being accused, because they're terrified of bad PR. Nevermind the fact that theres zero evidence of any of the claims. They're all guilty in the court of public opinion.

On 12/22/2017 at 2:18 PM, BCEagle said:

If this was the only occurrence, and it was only the waist, then I think the reaction is overblown. If it was part of a pattern of behavior when she made it clear that it made her feel uncomfortable, then that would be a different story.

Kinda depends. If it was a sideways hug type thing, I dont see the big deal. It used to be, hugs were a good thing. Seems a long time ago though...

But, if he grabbed her and pulled her towards him, then thats different. Thats more of a sexual gesture IMO.

I'm suing the doctor who delivered me! 

He looked at my ding-a-ling  in an inappropriate manner!

:facepalm:

12 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

These claims have reached a level of absurdity that has never been seen before. Now, there is zero doubt that some of the women that have come forward against being truly harrassed/assaulted are legit. I'd never deny that it is, and has been, a problem for a very long time for women, and I fully support them.

However, some of these random ridiculous claims, like "he put his hand around my waist", or "he touched my shoulder, and it felt like a rape"(I can almost swear that I saw that in a random article weeks ago) are Fing stupid, and are obviously pathetic attempts to inject themselves into the headlines to ruin the lives and careers of the guys they're accusing of "touching" them. My guess? 80% of the claims fall into this category. It reeks of petty bull****

They want to jump on the bandwagon because it's the trendy thing to do, and it appears that no matter how minor or innocuous the situation is/was in their claim, a huge majority of the populace believes them, and obviously, so do the employers of the guys being accused, because they're terrified of bad PR. Nevermind the fact that theres zero evidence of any of the claims. They're all guilty in the court of public opinion.

I think there's a difference personally between putting your hand on someone's shoulder and around their waist, mind you. I get that these kinds of claims at times seem overblown, but several of these, even the minor ones, are things that would get you in trouble inside your own workplace, if the person in question had a problem with it. The only difference is how it's handled because many of the minor ones, like putting a hand around a co-worker's waist, would be handled internally within the workplace.

However, the response to these kind of things has been pretty large by them. I don't fault people for coming forth, I fault the method in which the league is reacting. They're getting a ton of bad PR because of trying to ignore things before and now they're overcompensating to try and remain good in public opinion.

However, that's neither the fault of the person committing the action, or the person responding. In addition to the concept of the, "Court of public opinion', there is also, in situations like these, little evidence to deconfirm such a thing.

As such, the real answer is really simple and obvious. You simply need surveillance cameras in the work areas. CCTV would fix this whole problem pretty swiftly. Liars would be revealed, and so would those telling the truth.

That is, unless the league itself would be corrupt and delete the footage, of course.

Here is a thought for all you who say" it's no big deal", what would be your reaction if your male boss put his arm around your waist?

28 minutes ago, ndelaware said:

Here is a thought for all you who say" it's no big deal", what would be your reaction if your male boss put his arm around your waist?

I’d step away from him, plain and simple. I wouldn’t overreact, publicly shame him, and set out to ruin his life. Only a true a-hole would