Procus

Sources: Teams complain that Packers violated IR rule, think Aaron Rodgers should be released

espn

Sources: Teams complain that Packers violated IR rule, think Aaron Rodgers should be released

Multiple teams complained to the NFL last week that the Packers violated the rules regarding players who are eligible to be placed on injured reserve -- and Green Bay should have to release quarterback Aaron Rodgers as a result, league sources told ESPN.

NFL rules stipulate that a player needs to have suffered a new injury that would sideline him at least six weeks to be placed on injured reserve and, if that is not the case, the team is obligated to release the player once he is healthy

Rodgers played last Sunday against Carolina, came out of the game "sore" in the words of Packers head coach Mike McCarthy.

But Green Bay did not announce a decision about Rodgers' status until Tuesday, after the Packers had been eliminated from a potential postseason spot, when the quarterback was placed on IR.

Had the Falcons lost to the Buccaneers on Monday night, keeping alive Green Bay's playoff chances, it's possible Rodgers could have played Saturday night against the Vikings. But the Packers opted to shut him down, which teams complained was a violation of NFL rules.

It is not believed that Rodgers suffered any type of new injury last Sunday against Carolina. If Rodgers didn't suffer a new injury but was placed back on IR anyway, NFL rules stipulate that the Packers would have to release him -- which nobody expects to happen. It is why multiple teams were bothered last week and raised the issue. Teams wanted to know why the Packers were being granted immunity.

The NFL referred all inquiries about the situation to the Packers, who have declined comment.

But one source said Rogers wasn't going to be medically cleared to play in Green Bay's game, and the Packers knew he wasn't 100 percent.

Still, not gaining medical clearance and being placed on injured reserve are two different things -- which is what drew the ire of multiple teams around the league.

Rodgers was placed on IR and missed seven games after suffering a broken right collar bone in Green Bay's first game against Minnesota on Oct. 15. He was activated last week and returned for last Sunday's loss to the Panthers, throwing three touchdowns and three interceptions -- the first time he has been picked off that many times in a game since 2009.

ESPN's Rob Demovsky contributed to this report.

I’ve honestly never heard of that rule about having to release the player in that situation. Not surprised that it’s being brushed aside. Goodell’s NFL is not into consistently enforcing its own rules

LOL could you imagine  if this actually happened OMG ..... I bet ya Jerry is leading the Pack  " no pun intended "  

Green Bay is a mess. It's remarkable that they have the talent on that team because both the coaches and FO seem to be inept most the time.

The trick would be since it is late in the season, Rodgers has to go through waivers meaning he would be a Brown and then traded to the highest bidder.in the off-season. A league with integrity would do this, or they would at least take away a #1 draft pick.

LOL I was just over Packers forums to see how they felt about this .  They sem more upset over losing a meaningless game in 7 degree weather than Rodgers.   Boy oh bouy those Cheeseheads are funny folk 

I find it funny other nfl teams are chiming in on this. There’s plenty of teams that hold guys out without putting them on IR in hopes to get them back for a playoff push. When they get eliminated magically they go on IR. I guarantee nearly every team has done this over the last 10 years with some player and the player  didn’t go through waivers  

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I find it funny other nfl teams are chiming in on this. There’s plenty of teams that hold guys out without putting them on IR in hopes to get them back for a playoff push. When they get eliminated magically they go on IR. I guarantee nearly every team has done this over the last 10 years with some player and the player  didn’t go through waivers  

You are missing the point.  He was activated from IR, played, then was placed back in IR with the same injury. 

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You are missing the point.  He was activated from IR, played, then was placed back in IR with the same injury. 

i got the rule. the rule is ridiculously dumb cause teams do what i said all the time. additionally, they will come up with a "new" injury to get them on IR so they dont get hurt in meaningless games. GB just didnt care enough to make up a new injury. this happens literally 2-3 times every year with a player however the team just "new injury" whereas the packers didnt

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

i got the rule. the rule is ridiculously dumb cause teams do what i said all the time. additionally, they will come up with a "new" injury to get them on IR so they dont get hurt in meaningless games. GB just didnt care enough to make up a new injury. this happens literally 2-3 times every year with a player however the team just "new injury" whereas the packers didnt

I disagree.  I could give you countless examples of guys going on IR with phantom injuries, you would struggle to find an example of this scenario.

3 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

LOL could you imagine  if this actually happened OMG ..... I bet ya Jerry is leading the Pack  " no pun intended "  

Won't happen, plus he has to clear waivers upon release, the team that win waivers are teams with bad records like Browns/Giants/Colts...they don't award players to teams with good records, only way a team like the Cowboys would have a chance if he cleared Waivers...

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I disagree.  I could give you countless examples of guys going on IR with phantom injuries, you would struggle to find an example of this scenario.

i could give you examples where guys have gone from off IR and returned then later went back on IR with a "new injury". it has definitely happened. no one cared cause it wasnt aaron rodgers. if this were some marginal player you wouldnt care.

heck the eagles magically had pumphrey have a injury.  he was not hurt. you dont think thats against the rules so that they wouldnt have to subject him to waivers. if you are going to complain about the rodgers situation, that is right up the same the same alley

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

i could give you examples where guys have gone from off IR and returned then later went back on IR with a "new injury". it has definitely happened. no one cared cause it wasnt aaron rodgers. if this were some marginal player you wouldnt care

Give me one example from this year

20 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Give me one example from this year

literally adrian peterson and the vikings did something similar last year. he got hurt. went on IR. came back played a game, then magically cause they couldnt make the playoffs they decided to come up with a "injury" and not play him causeif he got hurt they'd owe him money. yeah so it does happen. teams always circumvent the system. no one cared cause peterson was basically done and rodgers is rodgers.

furthermore, the eagles made up an injury for pumphrey to get him on IR so they wouldnt lose him. you think that is fair? i dont. so you are complaining about rodgers when the eagles notoriously have found ways to get guys on IR to keep when they dont want to lose them but dont have the roster spot on a player who isnt going to play

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

literally adrian peterson and the vikings did the exact same thing last year. he got hurt. went on IR. came back played a game, then magically cause they couldnt make the playoffs they decided to come up with a "injury" and place him back on IR. yeah so it does happen. no one cared cause peterson was basically done and rodgers is rodgers.

Negative.  He did not play week 17 due to injury, but was not placed in IR.  As I have been looking into this more, you are going to struggle to find an example.

If he's forced to be released, the Browns would snatch him up very quickly and there's not a whole lot that Rodgers could do about it if he wanted so continue his career.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Negative.  He did not play week 17 due to injury, but was not placed in IR.  As I have been looking into this more, you are going to struggle to find an example.

He didn't play week 16 and 17 that year cause they didn’t want to owe him money cause if he got hurt again and they claimed injury. So they circumvented the system. That’s worse than not putting him on IR they didn’t play him cause they claimed injury and recovery from a simple scope of his knee but really didn’t want to play him cause they didn’t want to owe him money if he got hurt. 

Either way you are upset cause it’s rodgers. If this was a guy like Brian Hoyer you wouldn’t even care. And there been times where teams cause they are eliminated make up an injury to a guy who’s been dealing with minor injuries to get an extra roster spot to get a guy from practice squad onto the team. meanwhile the eagles for years have "made” up injuries to put guys on IR they don’t want to lose but know aren’t seeing the field this year. They did it with pumphrey. Which is done to avoid losing him via waivers but that’s fine by you? Ok 

Actually, thinking about this situation, the Packers wouldn't have to release him while the waiver rules are active. They just have to release him when he's healthy, and that could be after the season is completed and Veterans no longer have to clear waivers.

If that's the case, the Packers would then release him, and assuming Rodgers is happy in Green Bay, he could just immediately re-sign with Green Bay. He'd have tremendous leverage to force a blockbuster contract though.

2 hours ago, skippyx said:

The trick would be since it is late in the season, Rodgers has to go through waivers meaning he would be a Brown and then traded to the highest bidder.in the off-season. A league with integrity would do this, or they would at least take away a #1 draft pick.

LOL...could you imagine that....Aaron Rodgers to the Cleveland Brows? He would probably just retire...

16 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He didn't play week 16 and 17 that year cause they didn’t want to owe him money cause if he got hurt again and they claimed injury. So they circumvented the system. That’s worse than not putting him on IR they didn’t play him cause they claimed injury and recovery from a simple scope of his knee but really didn’t want to play him cause they didn’t want to owe him money if he got hurt. 

Either way you are upset cause it’s rodgers. If this was a guy like Brian Hoyer you wouldn’t even care. And there been times where teams cause they are eliminated make up an injury to a guy who’s been dealing with minor injuries to get an extra roster spot to get a guy from practice squad onto the team. meanwhile the eagles for years have "made” up injuries to put guys on IR they don’t want to lose but know aren’t seeing the field this year. They did it with pumphrey. Which is done to avoid losing him via waivers but that’s fine by you? Ok 

I think its a little bit different as he came back and only left because Pack was out of the playoffs

19 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Still, not an example of this situation, and you will struggle to find one

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Still, not an example of this situation, and you will struggle to find one

youre upset cause a team IR’d a player once they got eliminated from the playoffs cause he was still suffering from the same injury. So if they made up an ankle injury you’d have been ok with it? Lmao. 

Seriously teams put guys on IR all the time who aren’t injured to keep a player and get an extra roster spot. Furthermore teams IR players towards the end of the year who have nagging injuries to get an extra roster spot to see younger guys on the practice squad. Yet cause Rodgers you care. Seriously? Again you only are talking about this cause it’s rodgers. It probably happened to a lesser unknown player and you didn’t say a word. again if this was Mark Sanchez and not rodgers you wouldn’t even be having the convo. You wouldn’t care

12 minutes ago, birdman said:

LOL...could you imagine that....Aaron Rodgers to the Cleveland Brows? He would probably just retire...

Yup, time to retire at that point.

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

youre upset cause a team IR’d a player once they got eliminated from the playoffs cause he was still suffering from the same injury. So if they made up an ankle injury you’d have been ok with it? Lmao. 

Seriously teams put guys on IR all the time who aren’t injured to keep a player and get an extra roster spot. Furthermore teams IR players towards the end of the year who have nagging injuries to get an extra roster spot to see younger guys on the practice squad. Yet cause Rodgers you care. Seriously? Again you only are talking about this cause it’s rodgers. It probably happened to a lesser unknown player and you didn’t say a word. again if god was Mark Sanchez and not rodgers you wouldn’t even be having the convo. You wouldn’t care

I am not upset, I am just making a point, quit changing the argument, find me an example