Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] One Year Later, Picture Changes In Rivalry

Recommended Posts

It was the first calendar day of 2017 and the Dallas Cowboys were in town, proudly playing the Eagles as the 2016 NFC East champions. Lincoln Financial Field was a strange place to be that day with Dallas, the new king of the division, and many Cowboys fans in the seats ...

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pederson is a numbers guy correct so the numbers say to play the starters because they will still have a week off after. That being said even if Foles played well Monday I would still want him to play at least half regardless. So he needs to play and I think Jones gets activated and Johnson gets cut to make room for Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I think you also look at this from O and D sides. I think our D could use the extra rest more. The O needs to find rhythm with Foles at the helm. Yes he threw 4 TDs against the giants then 1 against the Raiders so between the two games what that equal out to about  2 or 3 TDs, that says to me needs more reps. Again I think the O plays at least half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a dumb move to not accept the suspension for Elliott right away. That was the main thing that had them come up short. Just a game... or probably two was the difference in their season. A little less satisfying to have them fail in this way, admittedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t really see any positives coming from playing the key starters. They need to get fresh legs. Jenkins and others stated as much heading into the Raider game. They earned it! Any kinks getting worked out now have to come on the practice fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still have to field a team out of the 46 dressed for the game. The starters can play a few series then get pulled. Boyz will come in to win even tho the smart move would be to play their developmental guys. Oh yeah - they don't develop their backups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It was a dumb move to not accept the suspension for Elliott right away. That was the main thing that had them come up short. Just a game... or probably two was the difference in their season. A little less satisfying to have them fail in this way, admittedly.

It WAS a dumb move but I don't care how they fall as long as they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To rest our key starters the issue will be the Oline. Calling up Josh Andrews from the Practice Squad should be the fix. This could be a great evaluation tool for many players we haven’t vetted yet. Much better than a preseason exhibition contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where has Tim Jernigan been? The Ravens didn’t invest in him because he started strong but finished weak. Oakland has very good Guards and Center. So I can cut some slack on him with that matchup. I wish it was just one game I was talking about here. But he has disappeared for the entire month. He needs to dig deep and find something for the postseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't big news, but nonetheless it's news: 12/27/2017 - Signed WR Rashard Davis to the practice squad and released C Jon Toth from the practice squad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philadelphia Eagles 'leaning' toward keeping Dannell Ellerbe in new role, Jim Schwartz says:

The lack of playing time led fans and media members to wonder whether the 32-year-old was just on the team as a source of insurance depth, rather than destined to fill a defined role.

That all changed Monday night. The Eagles asked Ellerbe to suit up against the Raiders and serve as the team's middle linebacker in their base package.

He made four tackles, including one for a loss, while playing 28 defense snaps -- roughly 39 percent of the unit's total. And Wednesday, defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz said the Birds weren't using the game to evaluate Ellerbe or take advantage of a matchup; they gave Ellerbe a large role because they envision sticking with him as their middle linebacker.…………………………………………………………

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/12/philadelphia_eagles_leaning_to.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles don’t rule out Sidney Jones playing against Cowboys, and other takeaways from Doug Pederson’s press conference

Doug Pederson touched on a number of different Philadelphia Eagles topics during his weekly day-after press conference. One of his most interesting answers was in response to a question about Sidney Jones’ availability for this week’s game against the Cowboys.

Again, that’s one of the spots we’ll have to take a look at this week. See where he’s at physically. I know football [wise], he’s healthy and all that, but he hasn’t taken a hit in a long time, too. So it’ll be day-to-day. I want to see where he’s at by the end of the week.

Now, that’s hardly a guarantee Jones will play this week. But Pederson could have ruled it out and he didn’t. In previous weeks, Pederson hasn’t been so quick to leave the door open for a Jones return.

This week marks the last stretch of practices that Jones can participate in without being activated to the 53-man roster. Jones is currently still on the non-football injury list. The Eagles started practicing Jones on December 13, which means his 21-day window ends on January 3. The Eagles have until then, at the latest, to either activate him to the 53-man roster or shut him down for the rest of the season.

If the Eagles are satisfied with Jones’ progress, they can activate him prior to this week’s game against Dallas. The Eagles can afford to throw him into the fire, too, since they don’t have to worry about winning the game. Philadelphia officially clinched the No. 1 seed in the NFC by beating the Raiders on Christmas.

The Eagles made it clear they were very high on Jones, who they selected in the second round, leading up to the 2017 NFL Draft. Philadelphia said he was a top 10 prospect on their board prior to the Achilles injury he suffered in March.

With Jalen Mills struggling recently, it sure wouldn’t hurt to see what Jones can offer.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/12/26/16819592/eagles-sidney-jones-play-cowboys-takeaways-doug-pederson-press-conference-philadelphia-rest-starters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I can’t really see any positives coming from playing the key starters. They need to get fresh legs. Jenkins and others stated as much heading into the Raider game. They earned it! Any kinks getting worked out now have to come on the practice fields.

  I disagree. If you think that offense can get the kinks worked out in practice, then you saw a completely different game Sunday Night than I did. Foles needs reps. He has no timing with the receivers. His footwork is horrible. He did not play a down in PS and it shows. Look, I have real doubts the Eagles can win without Wentz, but I am positive they will lose if Foles does not get any work in game situations. How can you work out anything in Practice with no contact? I hope I am wrong, but I see a 1 and done team if Foles and the rest of the offensive starters do not play Sunday. At least for a half. Foles needs the reps. Oakland sucks and he made them look like a AFC favorite last Sunday....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Eagles don’t rule out Sidney Jones playing against Cowboys, and other takeaways from Doug Pederson’s press conference

Doug Pederson touched on a number of different Philadelphia Eagles topics during his weekly day-after press conference. One of his most interesting answers was in response to a question about Sidney Jones’ availability for this week’s game against the Cowboys.

Again, that’s one of the spots we’ll have to take a look at this week. See where he’s at physically. I know football [wise], he’s healthy and all that, but he hasn’t taken a hit in a long time, too. So it’ll be day-to-day. I want to see where he’s at by the end of the week.

Now, that’s hardly a guarantee Jones will play this week. But Pederson could have ruled it out and he didn’t. In previous weeks, Pederson hasn’t been so quick to leave the door open for a Jones return.

This week marks the last stretch of practices that Jones can participate in without being activated to the 53-man roster. Jones is currently still on the non-football injury list. The Eagles started practicing Jones on December 13, which means his 21-day window ends on January 3. The Eagles have until then, at the latest, to either activate him to the 53-man roster or shut him down for the rest of the season.

If the Eagles are satisfied with Jones’ progress, they can activate him prior to this week’s game against Dallas. The Eagles can afford to throw him into the fire, too, since they don’t have to worry about winning the game. Philadelphia officially clinched the No. 1 seed in the NFC by beating the Raiders on Christmas.

The Eagles made it clear they were very high on Jones, who they selected in the second round, leading up to the 2017 NFL Draft. Philadelphia said he was a top 10 prospect on their board prior to the Achilles injury he suffered in March.

With Jalen Mills struggling recently, it sure wouldn’t hurt to see what Jones can offer.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/12/26/16819592/eagles-sidney-jones-play-cowboys-takeaways-doug-pederson-press-conference-philadelphia-rest-starters

  If the Eagles are to make any noise this year, the Defense is going to have to carry them. I have already posted what I feel above. I also said I hope I am wrong, but a solid Defense could make allot of difference. Having a solid secondary could help the cause....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stine said:

  I disagree. If you think that offense can get the kinks worked out in practice, then you saw a completely different game Sunday Night than I did. Foles needs reps. He has no timing with the receivers. His footwork is horrible. He did not play a down in PS and it shows. Look, I have real doubts the Eagles can win without Wentz, but I am positive they will lose if Foles does not get any work in game situations. How can you work out anything in Practice with no contact? I hope I am wrong, but I see a 1 and done team if Foles and the rest of the offensive starters do not play Sunday. At least for a half. Foles needs the reps. Oakland sucks and he made them look like a AFC favorite last Sunday....

I couldn't agree more Stine.

I would play the obvious starters vs cowpies. Foles and the receivers which means most of the OL - or else he'll get killed and they go into the PO's with Sudfeld as starter! - ; for at least a half or till they get some continuity down even if it takes 3 Qtrs. I would definitely give Wis the day off for his ankle to progress further, as well as BG 55. If these players do play, I don't want them on the field much at all- Cox, Jernigan, Long, Jenkins, McLeod, Blount, Ajayi, Bradham, Ertz, Alshon, Agh, mainly the Teams' MVP's. Some starters need to play for obvious reasons like fielding a team, but also 'cause if they don't they'll essentially go w/o playing for nearly 3 weeks. I'm sure I left some out, with my ½ a brain cell I'd have to ponder the Roster for 2-3 hrs, lol. I wanna see Smallwood play more to rest the other RB's as much as possible. Maybe run Barner a tad more but not much as he's valuable in the Return game. More Burton, Hollins, Means, Vaeao, Warmack/Seumalo. Gibson??? I'd love to see Jones activated and play some 'break-in' ball. I wanna see Douglas get a bunch of time. Must be prepared for injuries that no doubt can happen in PO's. I'm hopin' & prayin' that Foles and the receivers can get chemistry/timing in sync by the time win or go home comes around. I know that Foles hasn't had any 1st reps all season and zero preseason. This thing of everything thru the Linc is the perfect situation. I DON'T WANT IT BLOWN!!! Hopefully they play much better as a team vs dullass. That'll at least put me at ease just a tad. PLEASE, NO MORE GAMES LIKE MONDAY NIGHT!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stine said:

  I disagree. If you think that offense can get the kinks worked out in practice, then you saw a completely different game Sunday Night than I did. Foles needs reps. He has no timing with the receivers. His footwork is horrible. He did not play a down in PS and it shows. Look, I have real doubts the Eagles can win without Wentz, but I am positive they will lose if Foles does not get any work in game situations. How can you work out anything in Practice with no contact? I hope I am wrong, but I see a 1 and done team if Foles and the rest of the offensive starters do not play Sunday. At least for a half. Foles needs the reps. Oakland sucks and he made them look like a AFC favorite last Sunday....

I do think the chemistry between QB and WR can be worked out in PRACTICE reps. Usually when the top guys do it during the preseason anyway. He just didn’t get that opportunity. You don’t need contact for a QB Wr to be on the same page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stine , do you really believe Foles footwork will get worked out in a live game? That isn’t the time anything like that ever gets fixed. Not once in my life have I seen a halftime adjustment(or in game adjustment lol) that resulted in a QBs footwork being improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did Torrey Smith all of the sudden play all of the snaps? That was weird. If you have been following ...Smith was being  slowly replaced all season. Less and less snaps mostly giving way to Mack Hollins. But against the Raiders Smith played 81percent of the snaps while Hollins played 9 whole snaps. It’s not like Torrey was getting it done either. If he was hot I would understand. But he had like one catch that I remember. Just didn’t add up to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this