1. 1. Winless Teams since 1976

• 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-14)
    • 2008 Detroit Lions (0-16)
    • 2017 Cleveland Browns (0-16)

Winless Since 1976

1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-14) - 1st Season in the NFL

2008 Detroit Lions (0-16) - First 0-16 Record in the NFL

2017 Cleveland Browns (0-16) - First 0-16 Record in the NFL in AFC

I’m not gonna count the Bucs cause I didn’t see them and cause it was their 1st season.

So between the Lions and Browns, the Lions had Calvin Johnson who would still scare any team, the Browns have...um...uhhh...

That defeated bucs team was awful and they had those awful creamcicle jerseys to match.

The Browns jerseys arent much better but still.

Having said that browns are 4-49 in their last 53 games.

Hugh jackson has won one game in 2 years.

After last year he said the team wouldnt go 1-15 again. At least he got that right.

Having said that that bucs team their first year were worse.

The 1976-1977 Bucs, and it's not even close. They went 0-26 before getting a win. Granted, those 26 games were spread over 2 seasons.

If you want to just look at the season that they went winless:

1976 Bucs: 0-14 -287 Point Differential
2008 Lions: 0-16 -249 Point Differential
2017 Browns: 0-16 -200 Point Differential

21 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The 1976-1977 Bucs, and it's not even close. They went 0-26 before getting a win. Granted, those 26 games were spread over 2 seasons.

If you want to just look at the season that they went winless:

1976 Bucs: 0-14 -287 Point Differential
2008 Lions: 0-16 -249 Point Differential
2017 Browns: 0-16 -200 Point Differential

They lost 26 games, and they only led 3 of those at half time. And only led one of those games after the third quarter. So it wasn’t just a case of not knowing how to close out a game (seemingly a problem with this year’s Browns, who led in many of those games).  The Browns lost 6 games by one score. They led in 4 of those games into the 4th quarter.

At least the Lions and Browns were competitive in a lot of games.

9 minutes ago, BCEagle said:

They lost 26 games, and they only led 3 of those at half time. And only led one of those games after the third quarter. So it wasn’t just a case of not knowing how to close out a game (seemingly a problem with this year’s Browns, who led in many of those games).  The Browns lost 6 games by one score. They led in 4 of those games into the 4th quarter.

At least the Lions and Browns were competitive in a lot of games.

Not to mention the fact of 'point inflation'. -287 points in 1976 would probably be akin to -450 points today with the way the rules have been set up to increase scoring.

Yeah. It was the Bucs. The NFL didn't do much to help expansion teams compete in that era. There was no free agency.  So, the team was mostly castoffs and initial draft picks.

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Yeah. It was the Bucs. The NFL didn't do much to help expansion teams compete in that era. There was no free agency.  So, the team was mostly castoffs and initial draft picks.

The league went too far in 1995.

Tossup between Lions and Browns. In the age of parity, 0-16 should not happen.

At least the Bucs had the excuse of castoffs from other teams, and little to no help getting the organization up and running properly.

The Browns aren’t in their first year in the NFL.  They may be a better team on the field than those Buccs, but they are certainly more pathetic. 

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

The Browns aren’t in their first year in the NFL.  They may be a better team on the field than those Buccs, but they are certainly more pathetic. 

The Bucs may have been an expansion franchise, but it's not like the entire team was comprised of 1st year players, coaches and execs. All but the rookies were experienced NFL people.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

It depends on how you interpret the thread title. If we are talking about the worse of the 3 in terms of talent, it's the 1976 Bucs.  If we are talking about the worst in terms of underachieving, then it would go to the Lions or Browns.

Well... the Bucs were the worst.  But I think you have to compare situations.  The bucs came off an expansion draft and no free agency.  They had no real time to build.

Lions were just.. plain bad.  They we're 7-9 the season before.

Browns look like they built their team to tank, getting assets and trying to get cash for this season to make an impact.  

I am going with the Lions.  It looks like the Browns at least have a plan (a poor one, but a plan.)  The lions that season just plain sucked after winning 7 the previous one.  The Bucs had zero talent and little ways of gaining it.. it's not like they were the Lions/Browns that guided their team to terribleness. 

5 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

Those Lions were actually 1-23 after a 6-2 start in 2007 through the 2008 season.  Funny thing about the '08 Lions, they went unbeaten in the preseason and were actually considered a playoff contender before that season started.  

10 hours ago, jfluke said:

Tossup between Lions and Browns. In the age of parity, 0-16 should not happen.

At least the Bucs had the excuse of castoffs from other teams, and little to no help getting the organization up and running properly.

Agreed Bucs were an expansion team in pre-parity NFL.  That's a whole other era, may as well talk about the '34 Reds that folded.

So the question is who would win a game between '17 Browns and '08 Lions.  Both teams had some humble strengths.  Lions had Megatron, a solid O-Line and a good kicker.  Browns has a stout run D.  Both had black hole weaknesses.  Lions had a dreadful secondary.  But while their qb was terrible, Kizer is definitely the worst Qb to get that many starts since Ryan Leaf.  DePodesta v.s Millen.

The answer is obvious.  They would end in a tie. 

40 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The Bucs may have been an expansion franchise, but it's not like the entire team was comprised of 1st year players, coaches and execs. All but the rookies were experienced NFL people.

Experienced, yes, but lousy nonetheless. They got the scrubs off of every other teams rosters. They were getting the Najee Goode and Jaylen Watkins caliber veterans. Basically complete garbage.

2 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Experienced, yes, but lousy nonetheless. They got the scrubs off of every other teams rosters. They were getting the Najee Goode and Jaylen Watkins caliber veterans. Basically complete garbage.

Yes, but the post that I was quoting was implying that the Bucs were 'brand new to the NFL', and while as a franchise that was true, it wasn't true for the majority of the people who made up that franchise. "Scrubs"? Yes. But the majority of them were NFL Veterans to one degree or another.

2 hours ago, Northern Green Wings said:

Well... the Bucs were the worst.  But I think you have to compare situations.  The bucs came off an expansion draft and no free agency.  They had no real time to build.

Browns look like they built their team to tank, getting assets and trying to get cash for this season to make an impact.  

I am going with the Lions.  It looks like the Browns at least have a plan (a poor one, but a plan.)  The lions that season just plain sucked after winning 7 the previous one.  The Bucs had zero talent and little ways of gaining it.. it's not like they were the Lions/Browns that guided their team to terribleness. 

The Browns have a near allpro running back, wide receiver, and pass rusher. They have a pretty good run defense. With a QB and decent coaches, that is not a terrible team.

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

So did the Seahawks that year. But they won 2 games, and were competitive in a few more.

49 minutes ago, BCEagle said:

The Browns have a near allpro running back, wide receiver, and pass rusher. They have a pretty good run defense. With a QB and decent coaches, that is not a terrible team.

You didn't watch them did you?  For some reason the Browns ended up on my TV 3-4 times this year.  That team is absolutely dreadful.  Even when it was close, it wasn't really close.  That finale against Pitt they didn't start moving until the Pitt backups took the foot off the pedal.

Well, McKay is credited with one of the best quotes for that awful year. So, I think the bucs should be granted a win just for that ;)

"What did you think of your team’s execution, Coach?” The answer: "I’m in favor of it.”

5 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

You didn't watch them did you?  For some reason the Browns ended up on my TV 3-4 times this year.  That team is absolutely dreadful.  Even when it was close, it wasn't really close.  That finale against Pitt they didn't start moving until the Pitt backups took the foot off the pedal.

I’m not arguing that they aren’t. They have some players, though. They don’t have the important stuff like a QB and coaching.

The 1976 Bucs didn't belong on the same field in the NFL. They were a bunch of cast-offs, rookies, and third-string players playing against everyone's best. Talent-wise they were the worst.

The 2008 Lions were a disaster. It was the culmination of Matt Millen's GM job. They had no reason to go winless except a relative tough schedule... That team was the most listless I have ever seen. They could be the worst since they had less reason to go winless.

The 2017 Browns were set up to fail. They only won 1 game in 2016 and weren't much better this year. They were competitive in they had several 3-point losses and two losses in OT. They weren't helped by a tough home schedule. Still I am surprised they didn't find a win. I rank them somewhere in the middle out of the three teams.