DaBirdwatcher

Gruden to raiders is happening!

30 minutes ago, ThinkGreen said:

Marvin Lewis might be available. He won a SB as DC with Baltimore. 

This is what I was thinking as well, but its been mentioned that the Bengals may just move him into the front office when he's relieved of his coaching duties

5 minutes ago, dutchman063 said:

Never understood the fascination with Gruden, his superbowl win was the year after Dungy left and he never got them back

Not at all defending him, but if you give Dungy credit for the Bucs being in the Super Bowl, then you have to give Gruden credit for the Raiders being there because they got there a year after he left Oakland and never got back.

2 hours ago, ThinkGreen said:

Gotta love the Jets. They went 5-11, and their coach got a contract extension.

Going 5-11 and being in almost all of their games, it's a miracle Todd Bowles was able to do that with that roster. 

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, McNabbIsGone said:

Still no official announcement from ESPN or NFL.com.

I'll believe it when I see it.

:::::Watching my wrist-watch, tapping my toe:::::

Still waiting . . . 

16 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

:::::Watching my wrist-watch, tapping my toe:::::

Still waiting . . . 

Raiders cannot announce until they comply with the Rooney Rule.  Not saying its not a done deal, but there's a whole process to this that prevents a guy from being hired an hour after his predecessor was fired. 

34 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Raiders cannot announce until they comply with the Rooney Rule.  Not saying its not a done deal, but there's a whole process to this that prevents a guy from being hired an hour after his predecessor was fired. 

It's  a  b u l l crap  rule.   Forget the PC BS and get on with it.

Idiots . . .  

6 hours ago, metalhead0043 said:

Gus Bus 2018

Honestly his Zone scheme from Seattle would make us absurd. Rasul Douglas for example would be a high end corner in a Seattle zone. His only weakness is deep speed, he's extremely good against the run, hits hard, plays disciplined, and has great ball skills.

If we get Gus, and Gus likes him enough to keep him around, he will start before too long. His skillset fits perfectly.

Sidney Jones would have a lot less to do as a result too. The truth is, Bradley would be the best option for us by far.

Gruden is smart. Jump on the team that should have been a contender for the big one. No rebuild, but push it in the right direction. Just like TB. I expect he rights the ship in season one. 

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Not at all defending him, but if you give Dungy credit for the Bucs being in the Super Bowl, then you have to give Gruden credit for the Raiders being there because they got there a year after he left Oakland and never got back.

That bucs team was falling apart and could not do jack on offense whatsoever. Gruden actually put life into that whole team. He just couldn't maintain it with his in your face coaching style and his lack of patience with younger players mostly QBs

13 hours ago, ThinkGreen said:

Gotta love the Jets. They went 5-11, and their coach got a contract extension.

10 hours ago, Mrkingofspades said:

Going 5-11 and being in almost all of their games, it's a miracle Todd Bowles was able to do that with that roster. 

This. That team was in full tank mode and there was talk of them being winless heading into the year. 

22 hours ago, norcalmill said:

the real question is who the heck will replace him on MNF. I have a feeling that Rex tops the list.

I definitely agree they go in-house to replace Gruden on MNF. There is a lot of talk they will hire outside but I doubt it. I think Moss, Hasselbeck, or Woodson gets the job. Rex or Ponder don't because they are newer to Countdown.

According to Jon Gruden himself:  "I very definitely may be headed back to coach the Raiders!" 

:whistle:         DOHHH!!!   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jon-gruden-‘there’s-a-good-chance’-of-coaching-raiders/ar-BBHPGHi?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

18 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

It's  a  b u l l crap  rule.   Forget the PC BS and get on with it.

Idiots . . .  

It sure is BS.  The NFL is hoping to avoid a riot when a black guy isn't named coach.  The Rooney rule is easily circumvented by teams just going through the motions and then hiring who they want to anyway.  It's all political theater.  

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

It sure is BS.  The NFL is hoping to avoid a riot when a black guy isn't named coach.  The Rooney rule is easily circumvented by teams just going through the motions and then hiring who they want to anyway.  It's all political theater.  

And anyone with 1.5 ounces of common sense knows this . . . including the rejected candidates.

I dunno, I guess they feel like they have to go through the motions just in case there really is a good candidate who happens to be a 'person of color'.

But if so, wouldn't that become obvious during the standard interview process?

1 hour ago, McNabbIsGone said:

And anyone with 1.5 ounces of common sense knows this . . . including the rejected candidates.

I dunno, I guess they feel like they have to go through the motions just in case there really is a good candidate who happens to be a 'person of color'.

But if so, wouldn't that become obvious during the standard interview process?

That's why I said it's political theater. 

To quote the bad guy from Under Siege 2: "We know this.  The Chinese know that we know , but we pretend that we don't know and they pretend that they don't know that we know.  Everybody knows."

22 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Honestly his Zone scheme from Seattle would make us absurd. Rasul Douglas for example would be a high end corner in a Seattle zone. His only weakness is deep speed, he's extremely good against the run, hits hard, plays disciplined, and has great ball skills.

If we get Gus, and Gus likes him enough to keep him around, he will start before too long. His skillset fits perfectly.

Sidney Jones would have a lot less to do as a result too. The truth is, Bradley would be the best option for us by far.

This isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't mind Gus Bradley.

7 hours ago, H-field Hero said:

is Gruden the most overrated head coach in the history of the NFL?

No.

That would be Chip Kelly.

I can't wait for him to ruin Derek Carr and that entire team. All these arsehats that wanted this guy here finally get to see what he can do to a young qb and team. 

On 01/01/2018 at 2:36 PM, judunno said:

Del Rio got screwed. What happens to him now?

He'll probably end up in philly once we lose one of our coordinators.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jon-gruden-and-oakland-raiders-are-making-mockery-of-nfl-processes-and-rules/ar-BBHSRSi?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Again the 'Loony Rule' rears it's ugly head . . . this rule may have been necessary 20 - 25 + years ago. 

But, given the PC climate we now live in  AND  the number of black HCs /coaches we now have, I believe it's outlived its usefulness.

Just my opinion.