NE.Jon

Fritz Pollard Alliance Urges NFL to Investigate Raiders' Rooney Rule Compliance

2 hours ago, jfluke said:

Its a little murky about what was happening. Maybe Coughlin was a legit candidate, but wanted more authority. Or maybe, the Eagles were trying to force the Giants' hand and have them make a quick decision on McAdoo. Or maybe it was just a courtesy thing. All 3 views have been argued, but only the Eagles FO knows for sure.

It was much more serious.  Basically, once Hue Jackson chose the Browns job, the Giants panicked and made McAdoo HC which effectively ended the idea of Coughlin coming here because Coughlin could not bring McAdoo and Spags (who were almost certainly NOT going to be retained if Jackson had become Giants HC) with him.  If McAdoo and Spags had been available to be OC and DC respectively, Coughlin likely is Eagles HC.  

10 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Coughlin was available to bring here.  Are we talking about the spring/summer 2016 offseason?  I thought that the two sides agreed they weren't for each other, and Coughlin wanted a front office job anyway.

If you remember the stories after he was let go , he would still show up at Giants office ....  Poor guy   I kinda felt bad for him . It made me think of my Grandfather  how he would do things like that ... Id get calls from the State park letting me know he was thinking he was still a ranger  or from his old church thinking he was still the pastor 

Imagine losing draft picks ... and being stuck with Jon Gruden as your coach for ten years.

12 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

It was much more serious.  Basically, once Hue Jackson chose the Browns job, the Giants panicked and made McAdoo HC which effectively ended the idea of Coughlin coming here because Coughlin could not bring McAdoo and Spags (who were almost certainly NOT going to be retained if Jackson had become Giants HC) with him.  If McAdoo and Spags had been available to be OC and DC respectively, Coughlin likely is Eagles HC.  

I thought McAdoo was retained because Eli Manning said he wanted McAdoo around as a coach.  I never got the impression from what I had heard or read that McAdoo was out the door, because of how Manning liked him.

I was listening to Rodney Peete (yeah, remember him?) on LA sports radio talk about this rule, and he said that while he understands the "filler interview" criticism, he feels the rule benefits the ones being interviewed in another way: they can add it to their resumes. Regardless of why they were interviewed, the fact remains that they were interviewed, and now that becomes something they can flaunt as another tool to find their next (hopefully better) coaching opportunity (i.e. "See? The Raiders, an NFL team, considered me for their head coach! Why shouldn't North Southwest No-Name State University want to hire me?")

3 hours ago, LA_Eagle_Fan said:

I was listening to Rodney Peete (yeah, remember him?) on LA sports radio talk about this rule, and he said that while he understands the "filler interview" criticism, he feels the rule benefits the ones being interviewed in another way: they can add it to their resumes. Regardless of why they were interviewed, the fact remains that they were interviewed, and now that becomes something they can flaunt as another tool to find their next (hopefully better) coaching opportunity (i.e. "See? The Raiders, an NFL team, considered me for their head coach! Why shouldn't North Southwest No-Name State University want to hire me?")

I don't know that being on their resume that they were interviewed and passed over for a better candidate would be particularly useful.

Where I can see that an interview might be helpful to the interviewee, is the process of preparing for it and going through the process. Learning how an NFL head coaching interview is conducted. Building their 'portfolio', if you will.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:03 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

I agree. Duce never had a shot. He was the token interview. If the Raiders interviewed minorities, then they satisfied the rule. As far as I know, the rule only says you have to interview, nothing about needing serious consideration.

Duce sucks as a rb coach. Good lord would he be a bad hire.