Sign in to follow this  
CaliEagle

Mularkey out (mutually agreed) in Tennessee

I'm guessing the Titans offered him a really crappy extension they knew he wouldn't take because they really didn't want him there, but didn't want to fire him because of public perception.  Either that, or there was some internal things going on there.  Regardless, they are in the market for a HC now.

Wow.

Have to say though that he needed to surround that qb with better support do he won't have to run so damn much.

When we fired Chip, I was surprised they didn’t jump at the chance to try and marry him back up with Mariota. Not an option now but no idea what they’re looking for. 

I have to say I'm a little surprised. They competed in the AFC South, they went to the play offs and they won a play off game. I mean what exactly do they want? 

This isn't an especially talented Titans team and in fact most think that they over performed based on who they have on the roster. 

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I have to say I'm a little surprised. They competed in the AFC South, they went to the play offs and they won a play off game. I mean what exactly do they want? 

This isn't an especially talented Titans team and in fact most think that they over performed based on who they have on the roster. 

I looked up who the GM was for the Titans and it's a guy named Jon Robinson. No idea who he is, but apparently he's been with the Patriots for a number of years and then had a brief stint with the the Bucs. All were director of scouting type of roles.

I think they've done relatively well collecting talent, but maybe coaching is a major factor?

Josh McDaniels likely gets the Titans job. It would be a smart move for the Titans because it keeps him from Indy and then you'll get a guy who can teach and groom your young QB.

When I saw he was fired I had this thought that maybe there is an assistant for either the Steelers, Saints or Falcons they wanted to scoop up before someone else did. I guess we'll find out as the week goes on. 

2 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

I think they've done relatively well collecting talent, but maybe coaching is a major factor?

Hmm perhaps but I don't consider that to be a talented team. I mean OK they have some nice pieces but overall it's just not a good team. But yeah let's see if that was down to the coaching. 

I don't think Mularkey is a particularly good coach... I just don't think he's terrible. 

He has to be done for getting looks at head coach now. He has been horrible. He can't even hang on as an offensive coordinator. I think the only reason they gave him this year is cause Mariota got hurt last year

4 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Josh McDaniels likely gets the Titans job. It would be a smart move for the Titans because it keeps him from Indy and then you'll get a guy who can teach and groom your young QB.

Looks like McDaniels is headed to Indy.

His overall record is bad, but he does have three 9-7 seasons, including the last 2 (out of 6). Jacksonville only gave him 1 year. It wasn't a good one(2-14), but who knows if he could have turned it around?

In a league where Marvin Lewis keeps coming back, and Hue Jackson survives 1-31, it seems odd.

Remember, Mariota was hurt late last year. His development may have been slowed by the recovery process.

I assume they had a replacement in mind during the season, but couldn't justify letting Mularkey go once Tennessee made the playoffs. But now they're 2 weeks behind everyone else in the coaching search. They may find themselves settling for sloppy seconds.