jfluke

Cowboys paving way for Bryant release?

I think they're more about putting him on notice to refocus on football. Whether or not he will is another matter. Jerruh loves him some Dez but Jr. may be the only one capable of talking him into releasing Bryant.

More dysfunction in Jerry's world...I'm fine with that.

"Of course we pay Dez a lot of money, and he knows that. He's as aware of it as anybody. ... He knows when you get paid that kind of money there's high expectations in terms of the productivity. ... Those are all things we have to look at as a team, as an organization when we start to put our team together for next year."

The Cowboys could ask Bryant to take a pay cut, which he's indicated he would resist. They could also move on from Bryant after eight seasons, as he's received all $45 million of his guaranteed money. Bryant is scheduled to make $12.5 million and count $16.5 million against the salary cap in each of the next two seasons. Dallas can free up about $8.5 million if they release Bryant or $12 million if he's designated as a post-June 1 cut.

Very interesting and bears watching.  I'm not sure how up against the cap the Cowboys are, but Dez is highly overpaid. Dude's getting paid to be an elite receiver and he was far from elite last year.  Honestly, I wonder if the Cowboys would be a better team without him.

Dez is definitely overpaid. But as the roster stands now, remove him and the receiving group goes from mediocre to bad at least on paper. Creates a other big hole for them to fill.

Pathetic attempt to get in the headlines during the break before the super bowl.  Anything to get people talking about the cowboys.  

Im embarrassed for the cowboys and that's saying something. 

The only good thing they've done so far is hire Kris Richard as the DB coach, who will hopefully have more say on defense AND get us Earl Thomas!

Dez has been average, but I think he's someone who they need to keep. I just think with Romo, Dez could still put up really good numbers. Him and Dak and the OC need to figure it out this offseason.

Corners have gotten bigger since PI calls got loosened up giving way to the Legion of Boom and the No Fly Zone.  Guys like Bryant and Jeffrey can't dominate quite like they used to but they are still damn fine players especially when the weather turns bad.  Looks to me like Dez is the scapegoat for a team that is in denial about their Qb.

He makes way too much money to come back on a deal anything like the one he's under now. Frankly, I thought he was the next Megatron when he came into the league.  But that didn't really pan out. 

9 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Very interesting and bears watching.  I'm not sure how up against the cap the Cowboys are, but Dez is highly overpaid. Dude's getting paid to be an elite receiver and he was far from elite last year.  Honestly, I wonder if the Cowboys would be a better team without him.

I think it was NFLN that said he'd be the 2nd highest paid WR next year, behind Antonio Brown. Tough to justify that.

But thus caught my eye as well:

"Tony certainly his game, they kind of tailored it to one another," Jones said. "When Dak came in, he certainly is not going to play the game exactly like Tony played the game. I think it hasn't ever just hit on all cylinders yet in term of how Dak-and-Dez the connection works. I think it's a work in progress. I think it could improve if given the opportunity."

Now, its kind of left open at the end, but that seems more an afterthought to me. Like an "oh crap, I put my foot in my mouth" moment.

Well Dez had a great end of the year in 2016 when he returned from injury. Never playing with Dak before they had a few really good games. I think the problem is the OC and Garrett. This offense was clicking last year and all of a sudden this year they don’t even try to throw deep. The OL had problems most of the year as well which didn’t help either. 

Philly has a had a great year though and are playing much better then I thought they would after loosing Wentz and Peters. I’m rooting for NE the first time ever but I could see Philly winning their first super bowl ever. 

It should be a great game. 

On 1/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Mortimer said:

Cannonball Run???

That's great, I wonder how many will be able to understand that one.  Makes me feel old.  

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

That's great, I wonder how many will be able to understand that one.  Makes me feel old.  

That is from Better Off Dead.  And yes, he only speaks as Howard Cosell.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, boogyman said:

Dez is definitely overpaid. But as the roster stands now, remove him and the receiving group goes from mediocre to bad at least on paper. Creates a other big hole for them to fill.

Yup, which is why it’s a dumb idea to cut him.

he’s a victim of Jason Garrett’s ineptness as a OC. If they do cut him I hope he goes to a good team.

i said back in 2013 that if I were Dez i’d never  sign a 2nd contract in dallas because of Garrett

Just now, Stephen1 said:

Yup, which is why it’s a dumb idea to cut him.

he’s a victim of Jason Garrett’s ineptness as a OC. If they do cut him I hope he goes to a good team.

i said back in 2013 that if I were Dez i’d never  sign a 2nd contract in dallas because of Garrett

Jerry's proud that Kevin Kolb... err... Nick Folk and the Philadelphia Eagles are in the Super Bowl. So you now have official permission to come out of that Eagles Fan closet and proudly wear your Midnight (or Kelly) Green.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:18 PM, jfluke said:

I think it was NFLN that said he'd be the 2nd highest paid WR next year, behind Antonio Brown. Tough to justify that.

But thus caught my eye as well:

"Tony certainly his game, they kind of tailored it to one another," Jones said. "When Dak came in, he certainly is not going to play the game exactly like Tony played the game. I think it hasn't ever just hit on all cylinders yet in term of how Dak-and-Dez the connection works. I think it's a work in progress. I think it could improve if given the opportunity."

Now, its kind of left open at the end, but that seems more an afterthought to me. Like an "oh crap, I put my foot in my mouth" moment.

He’s completely right, Tony was good enough to throw people open, Dak isn’t, he sort of waits to see guys get open before he throws it...that’s a bad combination with a WR that has never got a lot of separation.

If Garrett isn’t going to scheme Dez open, Dallas needs to go with smaller, quicker WR’s that get soeration with crisp route running

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Jerry's proud that Kevin Kolb... err... Nick Folk and the Philadelphia Eagles are in the Super Bowl. So you now have official permission to come out of that Eagles Fan closet and proudly wear your Midnight (or Kelly) Green.

Lol, that will never happen.

1 minute ago, Stephen1 said:

Lol, that will never happen.

So since it'll 'never happen', you're admitting to being in that "Eagles Fan Closet", but you never anticipate coming out of it for all to see. That's ok, you can stay in that closet. As long as we know you're in there, that's enough... Eagle_smiley.jpg

13 hours ago, Mortimer said:

That is from Better Off Dead.  And yes, he only speaks as Howard Cosell.

Not only am I getting old, but forgetful, too!

21 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So since it'll 'never happen', you're admitting to being in that "Eagles Fan Closet", but you never anticipate coming out of it for all to see. That's ok, you can stay in that closet. As long as we know you're in there, that's enough... Eagle_smiley.jpg

I hope its a double door closet and has a stocked refrig in it.

14 hours ago, Old Eagle Fan said:

If you won the Masters you would have to wear a green jacket.

Just sayin

Lol, i’d Just have them hand it to me on a hanger....

my poor daughter came home from school singing the eagles fight song just to piss me off yesterday.....and it hit me...one day she will probably date a f’n eagles fan....part of me died inside...