VaBeach_Eagle

From ChiefsPlanet: Did we let the wrong coach go?

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

They say the same exact things we said for 14 years

I recall the thread here of Andy's early days there and we were all basically saying "give them 4 or 5 years and they'll be saying the same things we've been saying..." I don't think it took them that long though lol.

They are calm and boring compared to us ...although they had a thread about boxed wine. Thats kinda funny i guess. No wonder all these other fan bases come to our boards lol

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I recall the thread here of Andy's early days there and we were all basically saying "give them 4 or 5 years and they'll be saying the same things we've been saying..." I don't think it took them that long though lol.

No, I actually remember them saying it year one there lol. Andy is a good coach to build chemistry and get a team on it's feet. After that he is just a bumbling idiot that can't ever get out of his own way.

A few elite players he inherits and some good assistants he starts with gets him going. Once they slowly start to go so does Reid 

Just now, bobbywizdum said:

They are calm and boring compared to us ...although they had a thread about boxed wine. Thats kinda funny i guess. No wonder all these other fan bases come to our boards lol

They can say bag of dees though lol

I couldn't help but laugh at one of the poll choices asking if they should have kept Pederson or Reid:

"Yes should have Kept Reid, he’s gonna do a better job."

:lol:

That whole better job thing I just find funny.

I recall joking that the Chiefs fans would soon be suffering through Reid's post-game recitals,

"I've got to do a better job . . . I've got to put the players in a better position . . . Time's yours . . .

We're fine there  . . . " etc. etc. etc.  ad infinitum.  Same bad movie over & over & over.

Andy Reid is a good coach . . . but he'll never be a great coach and he'll never win the big one.

He should step aside and be someone's OC or QB coach. That's what he's mostly good at.

8 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

I recall joking that the Chiefs fans would soon be suffering through Reid's post-game recitals,

"I've got to do a better job . . . I've got to put the players in a better position . . . Time's yours . . .

etc. etc. etc."  ad infinitum. Same bad movie over & over & over.

Andy Reid is a good coach . . . but he'll never be a great coach and he'll never win the big one.

He should step aside and be someone's QB coach. That's what he's good at.

Hell even an offensive coordinator but, doesn't call the plays. The guy just can't think on his feet

15 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

etc. etc. etc."  ad infinitum. Same bad movie over & over & over.

He should step aside and be someone's QB coach. That's what he's good at.

I like the last choice in the poll.........Alex Smith.  LOL

I think Rome used to do that on here back in the day, have a poll and that last choice was always the same thing, something that I can't remember though.

Read through that thread, some actually do still support Andy.  They will give him 2-3 more years with the young QB they drafted last year.

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

I like the last choice in the poll.........Alex Smith.  LOL

I think Rome used to do that on here back in the day, have a poll and that last choice was always the same thing, something that I can't remember though.

Read through that thread, some actually do still support Andy.  They will give him 2-3 more years with the young QB they drafted last year.

Do they really have any choice though? Even though he has fallen flat on his face with them in the postseason, I would have been shocked had the Hunt's fired him after this season. Unfortunately for Chief's fans, they are correct, and they will have Reid for at least 2-3 more years just because they drafted that QB.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:21 PM, EaglesRocker97 said:

Remember everyone telling us we were ungrateful for wanting to move on from Reid? Fun times...

He did lead us to 5 NFCCG's.  That's a pretty nice resume.  Far better than anything any other eagles coach in the super bowl era can say. 

He had a string of bad luck and when his son died at eagles tc I thought he was finished coaching.  I get a smile when he has success with the chiefs and certainly don't laugh at him when they get bounced out of the playoffs. I know how it feels oh too well  

Yes I wanted to move on at the end with AR.  I couldn't take the game day brain farts and clock mismanagement. And not ever developing a wr worth a snot during his tenure was negligent. 

I don't know what I'm getting at.  I guess it's that big red is a good man and we should probably stick to just thanking him for his time here(and maybe thank him for co-signing off on Doug for us which was a stand-up-guy move) and leave it at that. 

Think about this. If we don't move on from Reid when we did, the chiefs don't get him. He doesn't bring Pederson in and groom him into an OC. and we don't have Pederson now. And we aren't in the super bowl this Sunday. 

Crazy 

2 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

He did lead us to 5 NFCCG's.  That's a pretty nice resume.  Far better than anything any other eagles coach in the super bowl era can say. 

He had a string of bad luck and when his son died at eagles tc I thought he was finished coaching.  I get a smile when he has success with the chiefs and certainly don't laugh at him when they get bounced out of the playoffs. I know how it feels oh too well  

Yes I wanted to move on at the end with AR.  I couldn't take the game day brain farts and clock mismanagement. And not ever developing a wr worth a snot during his tenure was negligent. 

I don't know what I'm getting at.  I guess it's that big red is a good man and we should probably stick to just thanking him for his time here(and maybe thank him for co-signing off on Doug for us which was a stand-up-guy move) and leave it at that. 

Think about this. If we don't move on from Reid when we did, the chiefs don't get him. He doesn't bring Pederson in and groom him into an OC. and we don't have Pederson now. And we aren't in the super bowl this Sunday. 

Crazy 

Excellent post, thank you.

13 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Crazy 

I agree with you, but at the time it seemed like people were using it for an opportunity to bash Philly fans (surprise!) when really the vast majority of us greatly appreciated what Reid had done for the franchise, but after watching him commit the same critical errors for 13 years in a row, we felt like he couldn't take us to the next level. It was very reasonable to part ways after trying for so long to win it all with him, but many said we were fools.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it... 

2 years ago when we appointed Doug I believe the view in Philadelphia was, why this guy? This is a mistake. 

And the view in Kansas was, well he didn't call the plays here as OC so is he that big a loss? 

How much impact he's had on the Chiefs in terms of their loss I don't know. The fact his successor has now gotten a HC opportunity I would suggest not much. But his impact here in Philly is obvious for all to see. 

Reid is a good, arguably a great coach.  I think when his career is all said and done he'd be up there for coaches who never win the superbowl, him and Schottenheimer... assuming Reid doesn't win one in his career.  The facts are he came to Philadelphia and turned around a team almost instantly into a competitor for many years, but just couldn't get over the hump.  He did well for us, but after 14 seasons sometimes there needs to be a mutual departure and change of scenery.

Then he in Kansas City he does pretty much the same thing.  Maybe to a slight lesser extent as they struggled more in the playoffs than us.

He took a team that went 2-14, 4-13, 10-6, 7-9, and 2-14... and since taking over has gone 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, and 10-6.  Pretty good I'd say.

So he is definitely doing something right.. just not enough of it to get over the hump.  He'll crack the top 10 in all time head coaching wins next season.  He'll pass Chuck Knox, and then with a 10 or 11 win season go past Dan Reeves and Chuck Noll.  No small feat.  I actually didn't realize he was so high on the all time wins list.

But as impressive as his regular season record is, his playoff record isn't very good at 11-13.  It's possible he goes in to a management role in the future.  But a superbowl win would change the narrative for him, and most likely get him in to the hall of fame.

Edited by Northern Green Wings
Edited for clarity

53 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

... and Schottenheimer... assuming he doesn't. 

Assuming Marty doesn't? He never will. He's afflicted with Alzheimer's and will never coach again.

23 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Assuming Marty doesn't? He never will. He's afflicted with Alzheimer's and will never coach again.

Sorry, I meant assuming Reid doesn't win a superbowl for his career.  I'll edit for clarity

Just now, Northern Green Wings said:

Sorry, I meant assuming Reid doesn't win a superbowl for his career.  I'll edit for clarity

I thought that's what you probably meant, but wasn't sure if you knew about Marty.