downundermike

Alex Smith to Washington

2 hours ago, FlyinBrian36-20 said:

As a huge Ahnold fan... i dont remember that song. Mustve seen the movie several times.

Oh, it's really bad.  Right at the end when the Army comes to save him, but he already killed everyone and gets in the plane with his daughter and the stewardess/pilot.

Goes something like: "Somewhere.....somehow.....someone....."  with a heavy two note guitar riff in between the words.  Like a bad Survivor cover band.

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Possibly Jacksonville, possibly Minnesota. Jacksonville needs a real QB and all three of Minnesota's QBs are free agents now.

I feel like I should know his name, but for the life of me I just can't place it...

It’s Bob. His name is Bob. Dontcha remember Bob?

If I was Smith, I wouldn't have signed an extension with that crap franchise. I understand the Skins wouldn't have traded for him if he didn't but Smith was still somewhat in the drivers seat. He had 1 more year on his contract so he either played his last year with KC and become a FA next year, make the Chiefs find another trade partner, or force the Chiefs hand and make them cut him. On the other hand, I'm sure he was looking at it financially and figured this would be his last pay day and of course the Skins not only paid, but overpaid. I don't know, the Skins are where careers go to die and if I were him, I would have let one of my 3 scenarios play out and see what happened.

I dont think this is a bad move at all. Cousins is an average qb that wants elite money. Hes good for an average of 8 wins per year. Smith is older but a better overall QB for mid range starter money. Garcia played til he was 39. Smith is a similar player. I think the skins are still an 8 win team with smith but a good draft or 2 could trend them up. 

2 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

If I was Smith, I wouldn't have signed an extension with that crap franchise. I understand the Skins wouldn't have traded for him if he didn't but Smith was still somewhat in the drivers seat. He had 1 more year on his contract so he either played his last year with KC and become a FA next year, make the Chiefs find another trade partner, or force the Chiefs hand and make them cut him. On the other hand, I'm sure he was looking at it financially and figured this would be his last pay day and of course the Skins not only paid, but overpaid. I don't know, the Skins are where careers go to die and if I were him, I would have let one of my 3 scenarios play out and see what happened.

Why not though? One more pretty big deal with an average team. Its not like the skins are the browns. 

10 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

Why not though? One more pretty big deal with an average team. Its not like the skins are the browns. 

Like I said, financially I understand it but if he wants to win, I feel there were better options.

23 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

I dont think this is a bad move at all. Cousins is an average qb that wants elite money. Hes good for an average of 8 wins per year. Smith is older but a better overall QB for mid range starter money. Garcia played til he was 39. Smith is a similar player. I think the skins are still an 8 win team with smith but a good draft or 2 could trend them up. 

Don't know man. He did a lot with nothing.

29 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Are you insane?  There’s not another person on this planet that would have paid Alex Smith $70m guaranteed for anything.

ANYTHING.

To get that to play QB.... no chance he would have gotten $17m guaranteed.

Next year he’s 36 going to to the season and you think he could get half of what he’s making off of the Skins?

Funny thing is he probably won’t last 3 seasons in DC, but they’ll be paying him for all 5...

9 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Seems like a smart move for KC, seems pretty stupid for the Redskins though. Unless they plan to draft a QB. Smith is a well used band aid.

I think the Skins were more concerned with the suffocating CAP hit of franchising Cousins at $30 mil.+

This way they can plan for the future and not get taken to the cleaners.

Somebody like Cleveland or the Jets can afford to pay Cousins.

I have mixed feelings about this...

On the one hand I don't rate Smith but then I don't rate Cousins either. So I not sure whether they've upgraded or not. Actually I think the truth is they have pretty much taken a sidestep. And in doing so they are still tying up a lot of money but not actually as much as they would have to keep Cousins. 

But this does open up the possibility of Cousins going to the Jags and that's a scary thought. Not because Cousins is really good but because he's a step up from Bortles and that Jags team really only need a decent QB to take that next step. 

Alex Smith played well for half a season with a loaded offense around him. Washington’s skill players aren’t anything like KC’s. He can’t carry a team and is only going to decline more. Good trade...for Philly. 

1 minute ago, Jordan629 said:

Alex Smith played well for half a season with a loaded offense around him. Washington’s skill players aren’t anything like KC’s. He can’t carry a team and is only going to decline more. Good trade...for Philly. 

Yeah I definitely agree with this! He won't have the weapons around him and he's definitely not someone who can improve those around him. He's a steady QB but he can't make others better. And for the kind of money they are paying him I think you want a guy who can carry a team. 

Alex Smith is arguably better than Kirk, but he had Andy Reid who is a great offensive coach, an offense that includes the league leading rusher, all pro Tight End, and the deep threat of Tyreek Hill. The Redskins have none of those comforts. I would have given Kirk his payday, younger, good production last couple of years

Trading Fuller was the real mistake though, really surprised they did.

Skins Fed this up IMO.

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

If I was Smith, I wouldn't have signed an extension with that crap franchise.

I would. 33 year-old QB gets 4 year extension, $70 million guaranteed..... Not many teams would have offered that much.

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Don't know man. He did a lot with nothing.

Nothing? He had jackson, garcon, reed, and davis for 2 years. Not to mention crowder.

This year he had pryor and couldnt get in sync with him. The guy had a big year in cleveland the year prior. He still had crowder, reed, davis, and a decent running game. 

What did smith have besides kelce? Hill and hunt are not all that.

45 minutes ago, WentzPHIeagles said:

Alex Smith is arguably better than Kirk, but he had Andy Reid who is a great offensive coach, an offense that includes the league leading rusher, all pro Tight End, and the deep threat of Tyreek Hill. The Redskins have none of those comforts. I would have given Kirk his payday, younger, good production last couple of years

Trading Fuller was the real mistake though, really surprised they did.

Skins Fed this up IMO.

They had all that though for 2 of kirks 3 years. Desean isnt a deep threat?

1 minute ago, bobbywizdum said:

Nothing? He had jackson, garcon, reed, and davis for 2 years. Not to mention crowder.

I'm with you here! People seem to want to make Cousins out as this elite QB and he's really not. 

Is he good? At a stretch yeah OK he's good. To me he's average, if I were to rank him I'd have him in the 15-20 kind of area. And some team is going to pay him elite money? Hilarious! 

This looks like a case of a move being made that didn't have to be made.......the Foreskins should have signed Cousins, kept fuller and their 3rd round pick....

The Foreskins could have drafted a young QB in 2019 or 2020 as Cousins works thru his contract.  

The only thing I see that caused this was that Cousins told them he wasn't going to resign regardless of the money....and washington panicked

It'd be a mistake for Jags to keep Bortles. They could try to get Cousins but he wants more money than he's worth.

So did Skins just 'set' the market for QBs?

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm with you here! People seem to want to make Cousins out as this elite QB and he's really not. 

Is he good? At a stretch yeah OK he's good. To me he's average, if I were to rank him I'd have him in the 15-20 kind of area. And some team is going to pay him elite money? Hilarious! 

I agree. I think smith is a better qb. Hes cousins with more mobility, better consistency, less turnovers, and less money. Sure hes older but it buys them 3-4 years to keep building a roster until they have to make a move to get a qb. Paying cousins rodgers money would have set them back for years.

I'm in DC, some of the spin from the sports radio guys.

1) Chris Cooley said that Alex Smith is a bigger version of Colt McCoy.  (I don't disagree.)

2) Steve Czaban expects to get something for Kirk Cousins, either a compensatory pick or something in a sign and trade.  This could be where the 3rd round pick comes from.

3) Czaban also said that the Redskins just traded away their best defensive player last year, and he could have gotten a 1st round pick by himself. 

4) There were 6 teams fighting for Alex Smith, this is why the price was so high.

5) The $71m guaranteed is coming from the agent -- could be something crazy like $30m guaranteed if he's on the roster in year 3.  

So, if you're Cousins, do you think you're dancing a jig this morning??  Maybe yelling "FREEEEDOOOMMM" like William Wallace at the end of Braveheart?

Edited by EricAllenPick6
Forgot (5)