downundermike

Alex Smith to Washington

1 hour ago, metalhead0043 said:

Bad for them, good for us. I don't see Alex Smith leading you anywhere. He has, what, 1 or 2 playoff wins his entire career? And losing Kendall Fuller who was a good young CB is really bad for them. And a 3rd round pick on top of that. Andy Reid has fleeced the Redskins once again.

Probably view it like Rich Gannon with his brother.  Just a smart accurate Vet that can correctly run his offense as called.

LOL like I always say  . Redskins the gift that keeps on giving .  Although there will not be a huge if any drop off in pay . For the money they paid kirk this year and what he was asking it would b insane to keep him.  Its kind of funny because Kirk held are the cards in his hand .... but now he over played it and now wont be paid as much . 

10 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

LOL like I always say  . Redskins the gift that keeps on giving .  Although there will not be a huge if any drop off in pay . For the money they paid kirk this year and what he was asking it would b insane to keep him.  Its kind of funny because Kirk held are the cards in his hand .... but now he over played it and now wont be paid as much . 

Why do you think he will get paid any less? There are probably 4 teams that are going to go to war for his services. 

I think the only team that would of paid him 28 + is the skins and it would of been to force / keep him there.   The tags are what would of brought up the prices ... 28 mil  would of been to start a biuf war  and the exclusive would of been 34 mil and no bidding . With that off the table , I think he will get a stafford / Carr deal .  No GM in their right mind is going to handicap their team for a guy liek him .  We are coming into another draft with a bunch of good prospects again .

Schefter said the two sides haven't talked at all since the season ended. It's obvious Cousins no longer wanted to be there and the Redskins probably didn't want him there anymore. I think he will take a little less to go to a better situation. Not much less but I don't think he will get $28 mil a year. Maybe $25-26 mil with a lot of guaranteed, probably over $100 million. So they gave up their starting QB and best young defensive back for Alex Smith.

3 minutes ago, Brotha2thaNite said:

They keep talking about how they are going to sign and trade Cousins, why would anyone make the trade, they have played their hand and everyone knows Smith will be the QB next year, they have zero leverage.

Washington gonna Washington. I like Alex Smith more than most but it's still a stupid move. Smith is AT BEST a slight upgrade to Kirk Cousins and possibly even a slight downgrade. They end up paying him way more than Cousins wanted a couple of years ago on a long term deal  and sacrifice a really good young CB and 3rd round pick in the process.

2 hours ago, metalhead0043 said:

DJ Swearinger ripped the team over the trade. The tweet has been deleted but goes as follows:

He's not the only one.  They are going to lose the locker room before the season pre-season draft free agency nfl calendar year.

30 minutes ago, Andre Hopkins said:

Washington gonna Washington. I like Alex Smith more than most but it's still a stupid move. Smith is AT BEST a slight upgrade to Kirk Cousins and possibly even a slight downgrade. They end up paying him way more than Cousins wanted a couple of years ago on a long term deal  and sacrifice a really good young CB and 3rd round pick in the process.

With Andy Reid QBs, there's always an inflated performance of QBs.

Congratulations Washington, you are the new Miami Dolphins...how'd AJ Feely work out for them?

McNabb rocked it out for the Skins....you'd have thought they would have learned their lessons about Reid QBs after they leave his farm.

Kolb to the Cards....

Trading for Andy Reid QBs is a mirage and I thought that the NFL had figured it out.

51 minutes ago, Andre Hopkins said:

Pretty much exactly how I feel.  Giving up Fuller was a bridge too far.  Smith is underrated IMO, but he is kind of like the Andy Reid of QBs:  wins a lot in the regular season but comes up small against quality competition.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

They keep talking about how they are going to sign and trade Cousins, why would anyone make the trade, they have played their hand and everyone knows Smith will be the QB next year, they have zero leverage.

Man I hope they do that! It will backfire so hard and explode in their face.

sign and trade cousins is basically off the table unless. IF you were Cousins why would you sign. you control your own destiny right now. Signing just takes the decision out of your hands. Skins franchise him? almost no chance of that. 

This choice basically means the skins are parting with cousins by letting him walk in FA.

Does this make the skins a better team...Well you tell me. Is Alex Smith better than Cousins at this stage of his career? I'd say no. There are a ton of other improvements they need to make to "better" themselves. This at best is a lateral move at QB...and more than likely is a step back at the QB position. 

9 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

1. Kolb started 15 tames in Arizona and was terrible (QBR of 35 & 46.9).  (His career was cut short by repeated concussions, though.)
  2. AJ Feely started 8 games in Miami and was terrible (passer rating of 61.7, I couldn't find QBR)
  3. Donovan McNabb started 13 games in Washington and was terrible (QBR of 51.1)

Get out of here with the QBR crap

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/espn-qbr-stat-worst-stat-tom-brady-behind-ryan-fitzpatrick-what-is-qbr

The all-time best game in QBR history was when Charlie Batch (!!!) beat Tampa in early 2010. Here’s Batch’s stat line for that game (oh, I love this so much): 12/17, 186 yards, 10.9 avg, 3 TD, 2 INT, 106.5 rating, 99.9 QBR, all in a game in which the Steelers won 38-13! Two interceptions! A blowout! A QB rating that was nice but hardly anything special! And that was almost perfect according to QBR.

And another

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/espns-qbr-stat-puts-tebow-ahead-of-rodgers/

Under the Total QBR, Tim Tebow performed better on Sunday than Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers, whose Packers won at the Georgia Dome, completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns.  His Total QBR was 82.1.

Tebow, whose Broncos lost at home to the Chargers, completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown.  And he ran the ball six times for 38 yards and a touchdown.  And his Total QBR was 83.2.

5 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

You are joking, right?  He’s not going to be paid the $30+ mill for one season, like the Skins were up against, but Denver, Jets, Jax, and Arizona are going to be competing against each other to make him VERY large contract offers.

5 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

I think the only team that would of paid him 28 + is the skins and it would of been to force / keep him there.   The tags are what would of brought up the prices ... 28 mil  would of been to start a biuf war  and the exclusive would of been 34 mil and no bidding . With that off the table , I think he will get a stafford / Carr deal .  No GM in their right mind is going to handicap their team for a guy liek him .  We are coming into another draft with a bunch of good prospects again .

Fair enough point. It will be interesting to see what happens around FA. 

AR saves his job by getting rid of another verteran QB and training the young guy. Reminds me a lot of mcnabb and kolb

7 minutes ago, CountBlah said:

You are joking, right?  He’s not going to be paid the $30+ mill for one season, like the Skins were up against, but Denver, Jets, Jax, and Arizona are going to be competing against each other to make him VERY large contract offers.

Yeah. That is how I think it plays out. I think Cousins hasn't lost any power up until this point, because clearly the skins showed they were unwilling to commit to a long term deal anyway. 

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I feel like I should know his name, but for the life of me I just can't place it...

His name is Griffing.

As an Eagles fan, I hate this move.

• Alex Smith is 69-31-1 in his last 7 seasons with a 94.9 rating.
  • He is also a dangerous runner.
  • He has 14 TDs and 2 picks in the playoffs.
  • His playoff record is 2-5 because Kyle Williams x2, his team melting with injuries in a 45-44 loss, and a ref throwing the Titans game so badly that he was forced to 'retire'
  • Smith was 24 of 33 in that last game with at least 3 awful drops.
  • He is also one of only 2 QBs to beat the Eagles this year.
  • The same national media imbeciles who don't like Alex Smith also hate Nick Foles.

I want Keenum on the Giants. (ore more Eli). I am fine with Dak staying on the Cowboys. I wanted Cousins gone.

I did not want Alex Smith to replace him.

If you have GamePass, watch the 2012 Saints - 49ers  and 2014 Chiefs - Colts playoff games.

I doubt you are still taunting the DC fans after you do.

Can someone explain why they needed to extend Smith (or any player). Why not just do a trade? Why does Smith get to approve this trade (unless it' in his previous contract)?

Never really understood this trade stuff.

8 hours ago, skippyx said:

• His playoff record is 2-5 because Kyle Williams x2, his team melting with injuries in a 45-44 loss, and a ref throwing the Titans game so badly that he was forced to 'retire'
  • The same national media imbeciles who don't like Alex Smith also hate Nick Foles.

I want Keenum on the Giants. (ore more Eli). I am fine with Dak staying on the Cowboys. I wanted Cousins gone.

If you have GamePass, watch the 2012 Saints - 49ers  and 2014 Chiefs - Colts playoff games.

Did you just really ask someone to watch games that happened 4-6 years ago to back up a point about a player?

Does that mean Favre is still awesome?  I mean go back and what that game in 2008...

Alex Smith = older Kirk Cousins.  They are similar players.  I doubt Kirk would have had significantly different numbers had he been plugged into the KC offense.

I think why everyone is laughing is that the Skins could have resolved their QB issues a long time ago and signed Cousins long term for the same money.  Now they have a stopgap QB in there that will be paid $70m guaranteed through his 39th birthday.

There are not a lot of QBs that remain productive past 37...Tom Brady is the outlier here.  Big drop off with Favre, Manning, etc.  Redskins somehow thought it was a great idea to back the Brinks truck up for a 34 year old QB who probably has two good seasons left in him...if the oline can do a good job of protecting him....

8 hours ago, skippyx said:

I'm not too worried about the skins with Cousins or Smith.