downundermike

Alex Smith to Washington

13 hours ago, CountBlah said:

:roll::roll:

OK, that's a pretty funny comparison.  I like QBR, but maybe you're right about it being a terrible stat.

10 hours ago, skippyx said:

As an Eagles fan, I hate this move.

• Alex Smith is 69-31-1 in his last 7 seasons with a 94.9 rating.
  • He is also a dangerous runner.
  • He has 14 TDs and 2 picks in the playoffs.
  • His playoff record is 2-5 because Kyle Williams x2, his team melting with injuries in a 45-44 loss, and a ref throwing the Titans game so badly that he was forced to 'retire'
  • Smith was 24 of 33 in that last game with at least 3 awful drops.
  • He is also one of only 2 QBs to beat the Eagles this year.
  • The same national media imbeciles who don't like Alex Smith also hate Nick Foles.

I want Keenum on the Giants. (ore more Eli). I am fine with Dak staying on the Cowboys. I wanted Cousins gone.

I did not want Alex Smith to replace him.

If you have GamePass, watch the 2012 Saints - 49ers  and 2014 Chiefs - Colts playoff games.

I doubt you are still taunting the DC fans after you do.

it has less to do with Alex Smith than it does the rest of the team.. KC's weapons are 100x better than what Washington's working with..

12 hours ago, skippyx said:

As an Eagles fan, I hate this move.

• Alex Smith is 69-31-1 in his last 7 seasons with a 94.9 rating.
  • He is also a dangerous runner.
  • He has 14 TDs and 2 picks in the playoffs.
  • His playoff record is 2-5 because Kyle Williams x2, his team melting with injuries in a 45-44 loss, and a ref throwing the Titans game so badly that he was forced to 'retire'
  • Smith was 24 of 33 in that last game with at least 3 awful drops.
  • He is also one of only 2 QBs to beat the Eagles this year.
  • The same national media imbeciles who don't like Alex Smith also hate Nick Foles.

I want Keenum on the Giants. (ore more Eli). I am fine with Dak staying on the Cowboys. I wanted Cousins gone.

I did not want Alex Smith to replace him.

If you have GamePass, watch the 2012 Saints - 49ers  and 2014 Chiefs - Colts playoff games.

I doubt you are still taunting the DC fans after you do.

If you are going to pick and choose games over the past 6 years you can find just as impressive games that Cousins had.

meh, I don't think the redskins had much of a choice.  They probably made a decent move based on how badly they've screwed up Cousins situation 2 years ago, they could have extended him for less than what they're paying Smith now.  I don't believe that Cousins wanted to stay in DC, I was thinking of his history with the redskins last night and if I were Cousins I'd want out too. He basically saved the Redskins from their RG3 trade where they gave up a ton of picks, the QB classes from 2013 to 2016 have been pretty mediocre (Winston, Mariota, Carr and Jimmy G are the guys who have starting jobs from that period).  

Redskins just are assinine at dealing with people.  Cousins likely felt he overplayed his 4th round contract and was looking for a contract that would reflect both that and his future potential.  When the Eagles resign players early they usually offer equivalent or more than what the players production has shown but less than what the player would get if they played great and hit free agency.  In that scenario both the negotiators (Player and team) is assuming some risk and both get some benefit.  Redskins brass just wants Cousins and his agent to assume all the risk without them having to assume any at all.  That's just not negotiating in good faith with the other party.  I find it a bit galling that the Redskins fans at this point are turning it into....Cousins doesn't want to be here, he's greedy, etc etc rather than looking at the front office and how they handled it.  

At this point getting Alex Smith saves them some money but they lose Fuller and a 3rd but may get a 3rd compensation for Kirk.  KC is in a better scenario dumping 17 mill cap, moving to their rookie, getting a good CB on a rookie deal.  Neither Smith nor Cousins are ideal for Gruden's offense which requires QBs to be willing to make more anticipatory throws, you need to throw before the WR gets open, you need to be aggressive...both Smith and Cousins are near the bottom of the league when it comes to that.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards

look at AGG% that's aggression, it's the percentage of plays that the QB throws to a receiver who has a defender within 1 yard of him.  Smith = 12.7%, Cousins = 16.7% (Wentz is out of control lol, league leading 25.7)  (note, this stat doesn't mean a QB is good or not, they could make bad reads and throw into bad windows, it's just a measure of how willing a QB is to attempt those throws.)  I think Gruden will get frustrated that Alex is even more unwilling to attempt those throws than Cousins was.

7 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

If you are going to pick and choose games over the past 6 years you can find just as impressive games that Cousins had.

I like Cousins. He has been very good against the Eagles and I already said I am glad he is gone.

I just don't think taunting the DC team is called for because they have Alex Smith.

8 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

Except, the games he specifically picked were playoff games. Won't find stats for Cousins in 6 (7) of those.

Skins are 24-23-1 over last 3 regular seasons with Cousins as a starter (career 26-30-1). His 3 as full time starter.

Stole this from ES:

23ogky.jpg.dbb98bc169884e30f05fa13ad15ca

1 hour ago, skippyx said:

I like Cousins. He has been very good against the Eagles and I already said I am glad he is gone.

I just don't think taunting the DC team is called for because they have Alex Smith.

Very good? Look at who he beat: Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford with Chip Kelly as head coach and rookie Wentz and Pederson. Lost to: Nick Foles, 2nd year Wentz and Pederson. Cousins couldn't lead skins to Playoffs and instead threw a season-ending INT. This year, didn't get to Playoffs, not even close. I can't believe some of you here were afraid of Cousins.

I suspect that once you take Andy Reid out of the equation, you'll find that he's really no better than Cousins in any way.

Alex Smith doesn't complete a lot of passes to WRs...he's not going to have the same offense in Washington than he had in KC. 

This is going to end badly for the Redskins.  With so much guaranteed money, and a roster with no immediate hopes of the playoffs, I just don't see this being a good move.

This has been a typical Redskins move.  Sign an older, big name veteran, load his contract up with guaranteed money and watch his stats decline.  There are only a handful of exceptions to this rule. The Redskins have been the retirement home of big name NFL players.  

57 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Very good? Look at who he beat: Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford with Chip Kelly as head coach and rookie Wentz and Pederson. Lost to: Nick Foles, 2nd year Wentz and Pederson. Cousins couldn't lead skins to Playoffs and instead threw a season-ending INT. This year, didn't get to Playoffs, not even close. I can't believe some of you here were afraid of Cousins.

He's 4-3 against the Eagles with 16 TDs to 5 picks and a 99.7 rating.

Why is it that the stupid ones are always so eager to insult good players?

7 hours ago, skippyx said:

He beat us when we were a bad team. Lots of guys beat those Eagles teams.

14 hours ago, skippyx said:

Eh. 3 of those games were against Billy Davis' defense. 2 were with Schwartz still converting back to the 4-3. 

Free agency has Cousins feeling like a high schooler getting recruited again

883391936-e1517595014836.jpg?w=560&h=316

Soon-to-be free agent quarterback Kirk Cousins is in a place he hasn’t been in since he was a senior at Holland Christian High School in Holland, Michigan: He gets to pick his next team.

Cousins said today on SiriusXM NFL Radio that he feels like a recruit again, knowing that when free agency starts next month he’ll have teams interested in him and he can choose the place where he fits best.

"I haven’t had a chance to choose where I was going to play since 2007 when I chose Michigan State. I’m looking forward to that opportunity,” Cousins said.

Cousins will weigh his options when free agency begins, and his goal is to find a team that’s ready to win a championship.

"I want to win,” Cousins said. "Go where you can win. That’s exactly what the plan is.”

Cousins said he had no inkling that Washington was going to work out a trade for Alex Smith until someone texted him that the news was breaking while he was in a hotel gym.

"It was a surprise. I was working out in my hotel in Minneapolis,” Cousins said.

Now Smith will take over where Cousins left off in Washington, and Cousins will see which team thinks he’s the final piece for a championship.

Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta:

Kirk Cousins and the Denver Broncos vs. Carson Wentz and the Defending Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles

Is hard to tell how good Cousins actually is .  As Redskins QB he has been average even with decent weapons around him .  We do know what Alex Smith is has he has done the Same in San Fran and KC . I honestly think if Kirk Chases money  he will end up busting .... IF he goes to a team to win I think he will do just fine . Kirk is definitly talents enough to win it all if he has the right team built around him.

I'm probably a little happy but I don't see it making a huge difference.  I was actually pretty impressed with Kirk this season, of the couple of redskins games I saw I found myself going "dang, that was a really great throw, didn't know Cousins had that" a couple times each game.  Redskins had something like 24 players on IR last year, it was ridiculous.  I checked on pff and that injury sheet looks like a sea of red boxes, they literally lost half of an NFL roster to injury.  For him to play behind an oline made up of guys off the street was really good.  Alex Smith, we've seen what he is even with a great team around him.  We've seen how Andy Reid has made other QBs look (old McNabb, kolb, Vick, Feeley)  every QB he's had he's made look better, and all of them did poorly when they left his offense.  A lot of folks are talking up Alex's stat sheet but I think he's always been the kind of player that had good stats but even when his stats look good he doesn't seem to have as big an impact as his stats would indicate.  Contrast with Wentz, his stat line looks good but there are areas which look mediocre (completion percentage) but using the eyeball test, he has a monster impact and can wreck games for opponents.

With Prescott, and Alex Smith in the division now the Eagles, and Giants will need to put a premium on CB's that excel in covering 10 yard passes and under.

On 2/1/2018 at 9:36 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

And add to that, actually LOST his final game as Skins QB against a Giants squad that had for all intents and purposes QUIT some time earlier.  This is why I see Nick Foles at the front of the line for teams looking for a QB but not wanting to overpay for Cousins.

I see the Jags (if they don't want to pay Bortles $19 Million next season) giving the Eagles their 1st (Pick #29) and a 4th or 5th rounder for Foles, as that would open up cap space for the Jags to get some wide receivers that with Foles could be enough to get them over the hump and into the Super Bowl.  Tom Coughlin is very familiar with Foles having coached against him and I can see Coughlin and Marrone figure Foles would be a much cheaper option worth giving up a 1st and 5th. 

On 1/30/2018 at 7:03 PM, mike030270 said:

I'm curious how much Skins gave up. Lol I was curious if they'd tag Cousins again or not

Much talk about Denver.  I got a strange feeling the giants throw an offer out there.  

I legit just heard about this two minutes ago. Damn, I work way too many hours.

Seems like a downgrade to me.

It doesn't matter who the Foreskinz get at QB they have systemic problems. Talent is wasted on them.

I'd be more concerned if I were a Chiefs fan though. It's nice that AR loves Mahomes but there's no guarantee on any of these rookie QBs.
They all can't be Wentz or Goff and look what happened to Watson. If he sputters or goes down, is that their season?

I have to laugh at all the "experts" hyping the incoming QBs in the draft, especially when I see their top picks.
Darnold is a coin toss, might be okay. Josh Allen, the next Joe Flacco. And Josh Rosen might go running back
to school to study medicine after taking a few hits in the NFL. I'd put my money on Mason Rudolph.

If the Browns miss out on Saquan Barkley because they went for a QB first, it'll prove what cretins they are.

On 05/02/2018 at 6:44 PM, L.E. said:

I legit just heard about this two minutes ago. Damn, I work way too many hours.

Seems like a downgrade to me.

Really depends how Washington game plans. Cousins would scare me more than Smith, imo.

You have the risk taking gunslinger in Cousins

Or

The smart play it safe Alex Smith whose also a threat with his legs...

Really depends how Gruden and co. mold their offense to fit Alex.