Sign in to follow this  
Scrapple

London Game vs. Jags October 2018 - What to do in London?

Heading over the pond to see the game (green legion trip).

What are some cool pubs to hit? What are the non-touristy spots that are must see?

London has Uber right?

I've never been to London (or Europe!) before, but I have kept a list of interesting buildings, places, spots, locations, etc for London if I ever get a chance to go.  This Eagles game might be that chance.

One thing you might find cool is that there is a section of the original Roman wall right near the Tower of London.  There's actually a few little sections left.  I know there's one right by the Tower Hill tube station.  With so many tourists going to the Tower of London, so few people know about the Roman ruins.

My goal when I go over there is to visit the oldest pub in London.  This will be tough, because there are so many ways to determine this.  It's not one business in one building; there's a lot of gray area.  But, that means that you'll just have a drink in as many as you can, so you know you got to the right one!  I don't have all my notes on me, but here's a list of old ones worth stopping in:

~ Jerusalem Tavern: begun in the 1400s, but in its current c.1720 location since 1990

~ Mayflower Pub: the place where the Mayflower set sail for Plymouth before going to Massachusetts

~ Lamb & Flag: got its license in 1623

~ Cittie of York: Built 1645, got its name from a pub originally across the street

~ The Angel: pub operated since the 1100s, originally by Benedictine monks

~ Hoop & Grapes: Founded 1890s, but in one of the few timber-frame buildings to survive the Great Fire of 1666

That should be a good start to some cool London history!

Find Islamic terriots and report them to the police.

Stay out of the No-Go zones.

7 hours ago, Scrapple said:

London has Uber right?

Yes London has Uber so you're OK. 

I would recommend heading over to Hyde Park area where there's some nice bars and pubs etc. Plus it's near Oxford Street so it's a good location. 

My biggest tip for London though? Use the underground but mostly walk and explore. London is one of those places where you experience so much more by walking and stumbling across places. 

I recommend any of the hop on hop off bus tours.  Buy a day or two day pass, and it will take you to all the touristy spots in the city.   This is a great way to get acclimated to the city and see the major highlights.  Besides this, use the Tube!  Get an oyster card, and take the underground to where you need to go.  This is the most cost effective and efficient way to get around besides walking.  London is a great city, and there will be so much to do besides the game festivities.  

I'm seriously thinking of going as well. Good thing is we have lots of time to plan for this. Have they released the exact date in October ye?  Last I heard it was most likely the 21st but I didn't hear definitively.

It would be nice to take a whole week and enjoy the history and local attractions of London 

5 minutes ago, chuckintx said:

I'm seriously thinking of going as well. Good thing is we have lots of time to plan for this. Have they released the exact date in October ye?  Last I heard it was most likely the 21st but I didn't hear definitively.

It would be nice to take a whole week and enjoy the history and local attractions of London 

Would be great if it was the 21st!!! That date works much better for me personally but I'll be there regardless. Already got tickets so I'm going! Just a matter of getting a bit of grief from the Mrs if it's the 28th! :P

But most definitely all worth it. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Scrapple said:

Heading over the pond to see the game (green legion trip).

What are some cool pubs to hit? What are the non-touristy spots that are must see?

London has Uber right?

You sure you want to go? Do you speak the language? :huh: 

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You sure you want to go? Do you speak the language? :huh: 

Just remember that that over here it's toilet not restroom, the chips are potato chips not crisps and that tomato sauce is ketchup and you'll be fine. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Just remember that that over here it's toilet not restroom, the chips are potato chips not crisps and that tomato sauce is ketchup and you'll be fine. 

I've mentioned this before, but I still laugh to myself about it. One year, I think 2006 when the Steelers beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, Chad Johnson was being interviewed on NFL Network during Super Bowl week by Dahani Jones. Jones was about to go to England on some 'good will' sort of tour for the NFL to help spur interest (I think that's why they were going). So Jones invited Chad Johnson to go.

Johnson responded that he couldn't because he couldn't speak the language... :huh: He was serious too...

On 2/13/2018 at 3:48 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've mentioned this before, but I still laugh to myself about it. One year, I think 2006 when the Steelers beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, Chad Johnson was being interviewed on NFL Network during Super Bowl week by Dahani Jones. Jones was about to go to England on some 'good will' sort of tour for the NFL to help spur interest (I think that's why they were going). So Jones invited Chad Johnson to go.

Johnson responded that he couldn't because he couldn't speak the language... :huh: He was serious too...

Well, he did change his name to Chad Ochocinco:lol:

25 minutes ago, England4Eagles said:

There aren't any no-go areas in London

Delivery Drivers Reveal London 'No-Go Zones' Made 'Too Dangerous to Work' by Acid Attacks and Knife Crimes

8 minutes ago, nveagle5 said:

Delivery Drivers Reveal London 'No-Go Zones' Made 'Too Dangerous to Work' by Acid Attacks and Knife Crimes

Whatever, I live and work in London. Acid attacks appear to have gone out of fashion, I work in a an area of high knife crime (for UK) but never seen anything mainly because I'm not a member of a gang. The biggest danger is getting run-over by a black cab.

1 hour ago, England4Eagles said:

Whatever, I live and work in London. Acid attacks appear to have gone out of fashion, I work in a an area of high knife crime (for UK) but never seen anything mainly because I'm not a member of a gang. The biggest danger is getting run-over by a black cab.

Those red phone boxes can be pretty lethal too so watch them...