Mathis Gone

re: new NFL head coaches getting hired prematurely

I think it's funny that the Giants hired Pat Shurmur only to have to watch his Vikings' offense do squat against the Birds.  Then to follow that up, the Lions hire Matt Patricia who gets his butt kicked all over the field during the Super Bowl.  :)

It's always seemed weird to me to hire or have the ability to interview coaches before the post-season ends.  The NFL Off-season is super long.  I doubt getting a new head coach a couple weeks early is going to impact much.. not when most of their staff isn't even filled out to get a complete direction of where the franchise wants to go and head.

But it worked out for us in this case... looks like our coaching staff will remain mostly intact!

Ya know i've been going back to the Giants game for about a month now...Immediately after that game Schwartz becomes linked with their head coaching job.  I'm thinking why on earth would this team want to hire Schwartz after they just shredded his defense..

I think the Giants wanted to appear all in on Schwartz at that point...But why would they want anything to do with a coordinator that just got his defense shredded by a 2 win team?  Just watch how the Eagles never adjust defensively this game..  Never, despite this being one the trademarks of this team all season....Reich and Pederson on offense and Schwartz on defense all season they adjusted well....Following the Eagles victory over the Vikings, Giants met life stadium had a neon message that read congrats Eagles beat the Patriots.  

Schwartz and DP intentionally let the defense get shredded that game for the purpose of putting bad tape out there.  It served a double purpose of allowing them to see what they had in Nick Foles.  I think they wanted to see what he can do in a shootout..In other words the defense tanked that game intentionally....Well I don't mean the players I just mean the coaches called the game that way.. They followed that up with two weeks of testing the defense in the Raiders and Cowboys games...Vanilla offense both those games and the entire football universe loses it's collective mind.

The Giants never had any interest in Schwartz.  I think Shurmer was their guy all along.  He knows Chip Kelly's no huddle offense.  The Giants have experimented at times with this offense and even ran it in that game against us.  They saw the way Shurmer went right down the field on us before Schwartz adjusted in the NFCCG.  They want to combine his understanding of Chip Kelly's offense with their own info... Remember Shurmer beating the Giants a few years ago with Chip Kelly's offense?  I think they were enamored with him back then but wanted to give McAdoo a shot..

The Giants went along with all this knowing all along they were hiring Shurmer to help perfect that no huddle up tempo offense for Eli...Additionally if eventually it screws over the hooded one it's a win for all of the NFL.  

I can bet you Belechick sat there for the entire two weeks before the super bowl game planning his offense just like the Giant offense....His offensive game plan looked a lot like the Giants offense that game.  Lots of quick throws some double moves.....He spent all week heaping praise at the likes of Fletcher Cox worrying about our defense..  He saw what the rest of us saw in that game and all season long, and figured he'd exploit our defense the same way the Giants did.  It almost worked he found the seems er well Brady found the seems in our defense and exploited them  .He underestimated our offense, not one mention of oh so and so he's a great player yea we have to account for him.  It was all about our defense.  Fletcher Cox this Brandon Graham that...  But that's just Belechick he wasn't praising them he was trying to demotivate them.  He spent two weeks focusing on our defense.  Trying to find ways to exploit them and didn't worry too much about our offense..

This is either pure genius or I'm just overthinking things today..

13 hours ago, Northern Green Wings said:

It's always seemed weird to me to hire or have the ability to interview coaches before the post-season ends.  The NFL Off-season is super long.  I doubt getting a new head coach a couple weeks early is going to impact much.. not when most of their staff isn't even filled out to get a complete direction of where the franchise wants to go and head.

But it worked out for us in this case... looks like our coaching staff will remain mostly intact!

They have to because of the Senior Bowl (which are technically the pro debuts for those playing in it) being the week before the SB followed by the Combine in late February.

I would move the Senior Bowl back to early March and the Combine to late March/early April and make it so no one on any NFL coaching staff can be interviewed until after the Super Bowl.  That would eliminate this.  

Always seemed weird to make this argument. He’s not being hired as the offensive coordinator for the giants. Nor is Patricia being hired to be the defensive coordinator of the lions. He’s being hire to lead men and be in control of the whole team. No team will or did judge him based off of one performance anyways. 

16 hours ago, Baynit said:

Ya know i've been going back to the Giants game for about a month now...Immediately after that game Schwartz becomes linked with their head coaching job.  I'm thinking why on earth would this team want to hire Schwartz after they just shredded his defense..

I think the Giants wanted to appear all in on Schwartz at that point...But why would they want anything to do with a coordinator that just got his defense shredded by a 2 win team?  Just watch how the Eagles never adjust defensively this game..  Never, despite this being one the trademarks of this team all season....Reich and Pederson on offense and Schwartz on defense all season they adjusted well....Following the Eagles victory over the Vikings, Giants met life stadium had a neon message that read congrats Eagles beat the Patriots.  

Schwartz and DP intentionally let the defense get shredded that game for the purpose of putting bad tape out there.  It served a double purpose of allowing them to see what they had in Nick Foles.  I think they wanted to see what he can do in a shootout..In other words the defense tanked that game intentionally....Well I don't mean the players I just mean the coaches called the game that way.. They followed that up with two weeks of testing the defense in the Raiders and Cowboys games...Vanilla offense both those games and the entire football universe loses it's collective mind.

The Giants never had any interest in Schwartz.  I think Shurmer was their guy all along.  He knows Chip Kelly's no huddle offense.  The Giants have experimented at times with this offense and even ran it in that game against us.  They saw the way Shurmer went right down the field on us before Schwartz adjusted in the NFCCG.  They want to combine his understanding of Chip Kelly's offense with their own info... Remember Shurmer beating the Giants a few years ago with Chip Kelly's offense?  I think they were enamored with him back then but wanted to give McAdoo a shot..

The Giants went along with all this knowing all along they were hiring Shurmer to help perfect that no huddle up tempo offense for Eli...Additionally if eventually it screws over the hooded one it's a win for all of the NFL.  

I can bet you Belechick sat there for the entire two weeks before the super bowl game planning his offense just like the Giant offense....His offensive game plan looked a lot like the Giants offense that game.  Lots of quick throws some double moves.....He spent all week heaping praise at the likes of Fletcher Cox worrying about our defense..  He saw what the rest of us saw in that game and all season long, and figured he'd exploit our defense the same way the Giants did.  It almost worked he found the seems er well Brady found the seems in our defense and exploited them  .He underestimated our offense, not one mention of oh so and so he's a great player yea we have to account for him.  It was all about our defense.  Fletcher Cox this Brandon Graham that...  But that's just Belechick he wasn't praising them he was trying to demotivate them.  He spent two weeks focusing on our defense.  Trying to find ways to exploit them and didn't worry too much about our offense..

This is either pure genius or I'm just overthinking things today..

you're over thinking things.  Schwartz was waiting for brady to make a mistake and it rarely happened on Sunday night.  He needs to be more aggressive with the dbs on wrs against great pocket qbs.  we saw brady do it once jacksonville started to play off the line.  

I thought they planned well for foles, it wasn't like he was throwing to wide open receivers, like brady did on numerous occasions.  Foles had one of the best qb performances in the superbowl, he made tight passes all night long.  

Did Kansas City getting shut down and losing to New England in the 2015 playoffs spoil Doug Pederson? No? Oh yeah because this thread is stupid. 

I think Patricia will be great there. He seems like a very capable coach and I give him lots of credit for turning what was the worst defense in the NFL into on of the best (although this was not a great year). If not for his adjustments, I doubt the Patriots had won their last 2 Super Bowls. 

1 hour ago, djkenny13 said:

Always seemed weird to make this argument. He’s not being hired as the offensive coordinator for the giants. Nor is Patricia being hired to be the defensive coordinator of the lions. He’s being hire to lead men and be in control of the whole team. No team will or did judge him based off of one performance anyways. 

Yup. Didn’t we hire a guy who’s WR’s couldn’t get him a first down all year? How’d that work out for us?

16 hours ago, skoods said:

Did Kansas City getting shut down and losing to New England in the 2015 playoffs spoil Doug Pederson? No? Oh yeah because this thread is stupid. 

Took the words right out my damn mouth. lol.

OC's can't run entire teams the way they want. When Doug could, he coaches out of his mind. He learned. The important thing is where a coach develops to, not where they first start. 

One game does not make or break a coach. Besides that being a HC is different then being an OC or DC. Your job is to manage and guide the whole team, not just one section of the team.

I have always likes Shurmer and I think he will be a great HC unfortunately. He will be able to deal with the headcase that OBJ is and bring that team together which may be a problem for the Eagles, especially if they are smart and draft a QB.

Patricia I do not know much about so I can not comment on him other then his typical Boston facial hair.

Who was the last Belichek coach that didn't lay a warm, tight coiler with the team that hired them?

11 minutes ago, dms9950 said:

Who was the last Belichek coach that didn't lay a warm, tight coiler with the team that hired them?

Bill O’Brien? 

53 minutes ago, BCEagle said:

Bill O’Brien? 

Yeah and even he's not been with out his criticisms.