Uscg-Green

Did we end the Patriots dynasty?

Well on one hand, Brady is getting older (even though it doesn't show) Belichick might be fed up of the ownership if reports are correct, the Butler situation might turn some players against the coach, and they lost both their coordinators.  Also the suprebowl hangover has some merit.

But then on the other hand... Brady doesn't look like he's slown down.  Other old QBs in recent memory had a significant drop off before they retired, like Manning and Favre.  They seemed done.  Brady does not.

They play in the AFC East.  Dolphins are average, although they manage to usually steal a game from the Patriots when they play at home.  Jets are not a good team.  Bills will have to prove last season wasn't a fluke, and might contend, but nothing more than a playoff spot.

And the AFC in general is pretty bad.  The Bills were not a good playoff team.  Neither were the Titans.  Chiefs had kinks in the armor showing well before the playoffs.  Jaguars are probably the biggest threat.  Steelers have some uncertainty this season with Bell, and Roethlisberger has contemplated retirement.

And while their coordinators are leaving, one thing that the Patriots do well is promote within and not change their schemes.. this is really a Belichick team, he doesn't let his coordinators effect too much.

Factor all of those and I can see them back in the playoffs.  Whether they can get back to the superbowl or not remains to be seen, but if Brady plays I see them making noise again next season.

Fans around the country are overeager and premature to declare the Patriots dead, despite the fact that they have the best HC and QB in NFL history, both of whom are as hungry as ever.

But I can't help but wonder if this one was actually it.  The superbowl loser hangover is real.  It's not some amorphous superstitious curse.  It's real for tangible reasons.  Playing an extra 2 months after the NFL grind from training camp...and then going back to square one with nothing to show for it is a massive emotional and physical blow.  Brady and Gronk are both questioning their future.  Even when they inevitably return, that's a hole in the armor.  There is some discord mounting in the locker room.  These Patriots are vulnerable.  The AFC is depleted though, so anyone's path to the superbowl in that conference isn't terrible.  I expect the NFC (and hopefully the Eagles) to run up a substantial superbowl winning streak in the coming years.

Brady didn't lose the game, blame his fumble on his guard. He'll be back and he'll be good as ever. He's a rock star.

That said, the Pats are in serious disarray and Bellichick will have to work extra hard this year to restore the players' confidence in him.
It could be the beginning of the end.

It was fun watching Gronk on that last play, with the ball bouncing off his head and his arms flapping around like a startled goose. 
Looked just like the little dance he did earlier in the end zone. A lot more fun to watch the second version though.

8 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

Brady didn't lose the game, blame his fumble on his guard. He'll be back and he'll be good as ever. He's a rock star.

That said, the Pats are in serious disarray and Bellichick will have to work extra hard this year to restore the players' confidence in him.
It could be the beginning of the end.

It was fun watching Gronk on that last play, with the ball bouncing off his head and his arms flapping around like a startled goose. 
Looked just like the little dance he did earlier in the end zone. A lot more fun to watch the second version though.

Yep, you can't count them out as long as Bill and Tom are there, no way.

Should they really be considered a "dynasty"? They won 3 between 2001 and 2004. Then didn't win another one for a decade. Yes, same coach and QB but a decade separated their recent wins from their past wins and Brady was the only Patriot still playing from that 2004 team.

7 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

Patriots should cake walk back to the SB, the AFC has nobody that will be able to take them out imo.  All comes down to who they face in the SB then.

Naw, we have to see who gets what. For example if the Jags get rid of Blake Bortles they have as much of a chance as anyone. Replacing BB with Kirk Cousins would take them a long way towards that.

In addition, look out for the Texans when they get Watson back.

13 hours ago, aspiritfall said:

Yeah I have the image of Teddy Bruschi burned into my head with his hand up saying 3... I wanted the Pats to beat the Rams and I was going for the Panthers until Jake Delhomme opened his big mouth when they won the coin toss and the refs asked if they wanted to kick or receive and he says we want the ball we're going to score... When we played them in the Super Bowl I knew we COULD beat them but didnt think we would... This year I had a feeling we would get them... If they didnt have their last 2 SB wins handed to them by piss poor coaching they would be 0-5 in their last 5 appearances... BTW F the Pats

You're confusing Delhomme with Matt Hasselbeck who said that during the 03 Wild Card game in Green Bay.

Nevermind. Saw it was corrected.

13 hours ago, Uscg-Green said:

I think their defeat from us exposed some problems in the empire that have been forming this year. Bill trades away Brady Successor. Gronk may be done. Butler was benched (idiotic). Brady will be 41. I think we scored the killing blow guys. Makes this that much sweeter.

Yep....:rock:

Sorry, but if Brady is still playing then they have a good chance to play in the SB the next 2-3 years.  

Maybe we are getting started as a dynasty but New England isn't going anywhere.

43 minutes ago, RepPhilly said:

Sorry, but if Brady is still playing then they have a good chance to play in the SB the next 2-3 years.  

Maybe we are getting started as a dynasty but New England isn't going anywhere.

New England can get in next year on the fact that the afc is so terrible... The Steelers look like their only threat so long as they don't blow the game 

14 hours ago, Jblah said:

I think they are done. With so many changes, new offenseive coordinator and defensive coordinator, retirement of gronk, Brady turning 41, their time has passed. This past weekend, we saw the rise of a new dynasty. The eagles dynasty. We had backup players in there. Imagine when we get Peter's back and get our linebackers back. I would also say Wentz but Nick foles played as good or better than Wentz the last 2 game in the playoffs.

This is nuts...could they be done? Sure, something fluky could happen,  but it’s crazy that everyone is betting against the Pats.

i mean does Brady look done to anyone? He played a top 5 Defense with his only deep threat out, without his Best WR (Edelman)....and shredded them.

and as far as the eagles being a dynasty, chill out....could be, but let them win 2 before you start talking. A lot can change in one or two years. Just enjoy this SB and don’t get ahead of yourself.  

Holy ish, one win does not make anyone a damn dynasty. You guys are hilarious:roll:

The Pats, until proven otherwise, are still miles ahead of everyone

32 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

Holy ish, one win does not make anyone a damn dynasty. You guys are hilarious:roll:

The Pats, until proven otherwise, are still miles ahead of everyone

you mean like losing Super Bowl 52 ?   I think  NJ / NY smog getting to yo head

11 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

This is nuts...could they be done? Sure, something fluky could happen,  but it’s crazy that everyone is betting against the Pats.

i mean does Brady look done to anyone? He played a top 5 Defense with his only deep threat out, without his Best WR (Edelman)....and shredded them.

and as far as the eagles being a dynasty, chill out....could be, but let them win 2 before you start talking. A lot can change in one or two years. Just enjoy this SB and don’t get ahead of yourself.  

Bull. It's a given. We own the NFL

Guess we'll find out next year. All dynasties have to come to an end. This one has been going for 16 years...so...I feel like someone in the AFC needs to step the F up and end them. New England/Philly could be next year's SB too..

6 hours ago, cowboy30 said:

Guess we'll find out next year. All dynasties have to come to an end. This one has been going for 16 years...so...I feel like someone in the AFC needs to step the F up and end them. New England/Philly could be next year's SB too..

Love the sig!

I really feel like the AFC is going to start to shift away from the Pats. While next year it is still their conference to lose I think teams like the Texans with Watson, and the Titans with Mariota will be the new upper echelon teams right around the 19/20' seasons. 

Father time is undefeated. Peyton's play fell off insanely fast. Granted he had some lingering injuries that probably played into it, but still... you don't recover quickly at Tom's age, and I can't imagine any human body reliably holding up at his age.

12 hours ago, boogyman said:

You make good points

13 hours ago, boogyman said:

:roll:

You're either still high on the win, which is understandable, or you're high on something else altogether

9 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

You make good points

Yes. 

9 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

:roll:

You're either still high on the win, which is understandable, or you're high on something else altogether

No.

On 2/6/2018 at 12:21 PM, pencil face said:

Can't end something that was already on death's door step, Brady's age put the Dynasty at it's end...also if history is to repeat itself they won't be in the SB next season, last time they lost both coordinators, took 3 years to return to the SB.....

I hope their trend following Sb losses continues. 

So far they have not appeared in the next super bowl following a super bowl loss. When they lost to giants first time it took them 4 years to get back. And then after the second loss took 3 years.

I feel if they miss sb 53 that should be enough time for AFC to make up ground.  Even as it currently stands teams like broncos and jags are one player away from being a legit threat to their chances.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:24 AM, aspiritfall said:

They won their 3rd against us... They became a dynasty by beating us... They beat rams in 01 panthers in 02 and us in 04

Actually they beat the Rams in 2002/2002, then they beat the Panthers in 2003/2004 and then got the repeat against the Eagles in 2004/2005!!!  So they won Super Bowl 36, 38, and 39 (Eagles).