Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cortes

Why has the AFC been such a clownfire?

If Luck can actually get healthy and stay healthy the Colts are right back up there

If Jags had gone for someone other than Bortles I think they'd be contenders

Texans could be really good. If Watson can get back to form they may become contenders

Some excellent comments; I think several have hit the nail on the head.

There is a lot of dysfunction in the AFC, which has been mentioned already, or at least alluded to. The AFC East, for starters, is an easy 5 or 6 wins per year for the Pats. The Browns have been awful from the top down. The Raiders went totally into the tank after the 2002 season, finally emerged from it in 2016, only to falter again last season (though they at least finally seem to have a good QB).

As already mentioned also, these things are cyclical. But I don't foresee a big change in the balance of power for at least a couple years or probably longer.

On 12/02/2018 at 2:57 AM, The_Talon said:

I wouldn't say that. I mean, I think the league has been more balanced the last 10 years than ever. SB's are split 5 each of the last 10, and they've won 3 of the last 4. I'd say the AFC is doing just fine. 

Just because the Pats do well doesn't mean the AFC as a collective is doing well. 

9 hours ago, mihailo said:

Just because the Pats do well doesn't mean the AFC as a collective is doing well. 

Exactly... I mean let's just look at the draft positions this year. 

#1 held by the AFC, #3 held by the AFC, #4 held by the AFC, #5 and #6 too. And then let's be honest the #2 held by NY is kind of false. I mean that's not a truly awful team, they just fell apart and the wheels came off. I think it's widely acknowledged that nobody expects them to be back in that position next year.