Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] Addressing The Coaching Staff Plan Of Succession

Having John DeFilippo move on to the Minnesota Vikings as offensive coordinator and Frank Reich leave the Eagles to become the head coach in Indianapolis represents success for the Philadelphia Eagles after their Super Bowl LII victory. Good luck to both men. They are deserving. They were excellent in their two seasons here, DeFilippo as the quarterbacks coach and Reich as offensive coordinator ...

View the full article

Didn't matter, Flip wanted to make the calls - DP makes the calls.

Gowton mentioned moving Duce up and bringing in Wilbert Montgomery to replace him, not bad.

This is one of the things we have to get used to if we are a winning team, other teams will poach from us....If we promote Groh and Duce I think they will be fine in new roles I would be more concerned with who get to replace Groh and Duce roles 

I agree.

OC - Duce Staley

I actually kind of like the idea of having a RB coach in there. Doug and Duce could be a nice blend of both styles. You could even hire a passing game coordinator if there are concerns with Duce’s capabilities in coordinating a passing game. He has stuck through 3 regimes though, so he is doing something right.

QB Coach - Mike Groh

Played the position and coached it before. He got the most out of the WR group. It would be great to see what he could add to Wentz and the QB room. Comes from a respected football family.

WR Coach - Press Taylor?

Another young coach who has been with us for a bit. Has experience as a QB coach and Offensive Quality Control coach. Could be ready to take on other aspects of the offense. He was also the true mastermind of the Philly Special from his film study, according to those in the know (Peter King being one). May be another guy we want to groom as a potential OC down the road.

Passing Game Coordinator- Jim Caldwell?

His conservative style clashes with Doug’s style. That’s not always a bad thing though. He has done excellent work with QBs.

Funny ... turn back the clock ... people were concerned about Reich as OC and thought Schwartz would leave to be a HC.   Seems like no demand for Schwartz now???? 

I'm surprised Duce didn't get hired yet as an OC ... I think he is the logical choice here.   I think he slowly can get more and more responsibility with input on calling plays.  He will push for running plays which is good to balance out Doug.  I assume guys moving doesn't mean they lose all influence on their old spots.  Coaching gets overlapped a little bit... unless its a Juan Castillo move ...lol.   But keeping the right guys on staff is key.  These guys know the players, they know the culture, they know what it took to get the SB win.   Anyone knew that comes in at the lower spots ... I would prefer either an older guy who has specific experience at a position like Wilbert ... or a bright young eager mind ... ie a Flipp but 10-15 years younger to take on a quality control spot if we move another guy up to RB or WR coach.   

Coaches seem to be getting younger and younger now ... finding the next film junkie young hot shot ... but 10 years before he becomes that hot shot, and is still just the " football obsessed nerdy work-a-holic" is a good thing IMO.   We have Doug in place... I think a great balance with Duce/Stout as run guys ... find me the kid that can come up with some play designs and concepts that haven't been used yet.  Basically the song writer who feeds the singer the lyrics to a song... I think Doug can work with that, while the other coaches that move up get to work with the players.  

Now ... lets hope Flipp or Reich .... that neither of them take anyone else with them.   That is a concern for me and can be a potential issue.  WE don't need to be replacing 5 or 6 coaches all at once.    Another year of success .. I assume we should be safe with offensive coaches getting poached, ... but maybe Schwartz goes????   To me, not the worst thing in the world, you would think good defensive coaches would be lining up to take on a job as our DC.   

Just watched Sound FX of the SB, which was actually good as they had Merrill Reese for a lot of the voice over. That Hail Mary at the end was heart stopping as PRob was going for the ball - not to bat it down but to catch it! Fortunately he didn't pop it up too far as NE had a guy just out of reach.

Well it could be worse.

You don't see anyone poaching from the Browns staff do you?

Losing an OC and QB coach in about one week just reflects how successful we've really been. Winning SB LII was enough of an afterglow for me but it hits home when you lose 2 coaches who played a significant role in our team development over the past two years.  It was bound to happen.

If we can hire from within or from past successful Eagles with good teaching and communication skills, we'll keep the Ëagle" mantra alive and well. 

Duce would make a fine choice IMO for OC.  Gives greater balance to the offense.  FR went back to where he started with the Colts in 2006 as an intern.  He was a QB coach in his first year with SD in 2013 before his promotion to OC for 2014 and 2015.  Although Duce doesn't come from a QB/WR coaching position, why not give him a well-earned chance since he has very successfully been game planning and coaching our RBs for many years. Popular and respected by the players, he brings (as joemas6 said) Eagle culture with him.

We'll do the exhaustive search necessary for our OC and QB coaching slots looking for the teachers, motivators, communicators and new ideas type guys to move forward with.  Whoever we contact and interview will most likely want to come to or assume those positions on a SB champ team.  Sounds gr8 doesn't it?  EAGLES a SB Champion!!  Go Eagles!!

We got Joe Douglas from the Browns. Hardly watched any college ball this yr, always prime area to hire assistants to develop - player positions aren't the only areas where pipelines are needed.

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Now ... lets hope Flipp or Reich .... that neither of them take anyone else with them.   That is a concern for me and can be a potential issue.  WE don't need to be replacing 5 or 6 coaches all at once.    Another year of success .. I assume we should be safe with offensive coaches getting poached, ... but maybe Schwartz goes????   To me, not the worst thing in the world, you would think good defensive coaches would be lining up to take on a job as our DC.   

Indy already has the assistants hired, so no chance he grabs anyone. Minnesota is basically full also. We are fine this year....

Re-signing the PS players is nice and all. We here on the boards have already figured out the coaching moves. Can we please get the starters re-signed. The roller coaster of emotions from winning the SB, losing our coaches followed by this period of anticipation - we need some Howie magic to even things out

Actually more worried that Joe Douglas does not get snatched away from us!  This dude is working well with HR and I would hate to see him leave. PAY the Man Lurie!! Keep him around...

We have only one pick in the first 3 rounds this year. That means we need to hit on that pick. I do not care who we get to be honest. But it has to be a very solid player. It may not be one of need but he has to be great. I could see us trading back to grab more picks. Not much different from #32 to #50 or 60. Trade back, grab a 2nd and a 3rd or more. That would help us out more assuming Joe Douglas and Howie can work their magic.....

Didn't watch much college ball this yr. Regardless nobody knows what this team will consist of so can't weigh the options.

Good article of how we beat NE;

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/9/16994154/film-review-eagles-offense-won-super-bowl-with-heavy-dosage-of-runs-out-of-three-wide-receiver-sets

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Re-signing the PS players is nice and all. We here on the boards have already figured out the coaching moves. Can we please get the starters re-signed. The roller coaster of emotions from winning the SB, losing our coaches followed by this period of anticipation - we need some Howie magic to even things out

Howie didn't take any time off after the SB did he.

10 hours ago, sdsu06 said:

I agree.

OC - Duce Staley

I actually kind of like the idea of having a RB coach in there. Doug and Duce could be a nice blend of both styles. You could even hire a passing game coordinator if there are concerns with Duce’s capabilities in coordinating a passing game. He has stuck through 3 regimes though, so he is doing something right.

QB Coach - Mike Groh

Played the position and coached it before. He got the most out of the WR group. It would be great to see what he could add to Wentz and the QB room. Comes from a respected football family.

WR Coach - Press Taylor?

Another young coach who has been with us for a bit. Has experience as a QB coach and Offensive Quality Control coach. Could be ready to take on other aspects of the offense. He was also the true mastermind of the Philly Special from his film study, according to those in the know (Peter King being one). May be another guy we want to groom as a potential OC down the road.

Passing Game Coordinator- Jim Caldwell?

His conservative style clashes with Doug’s style. That’s not always a bad thing though. He has done excellent work with QBs.

Bet you are one happy fan!  Living out in Cowboy country has to be hard for you my friend....

I gotts say, i like the idea of Favre being QB coach, even though there hasn't been any legit discussion about it out there. Whomever it ends up being, i'm thinking we're going to be able to go out and get the very best that's available - who wouldn't want to 1. come to the SB champs and 2. work with Wentz? But as others have said, most likely it ends up being Groh, which isn't bad by any means but then we have to replace him at his current role.

I'm conservatively on board with Duce going to OC.

BTW, we signed Billy Brown (TE) to a future contract. Get used to his name as he's gonna be our next Trey Burton. And i'm kinda thinking Zaruba (Rugby) becomes our next Celek.

We MUST resign Bradham!!

P.S. Speaking of draft picks, Ruben Foster, arrested for second time in as many months. This one could get him suspended.

(har har har)

My son moved out from home and into a new apartment, all on his own. He went proudly down to the lobby to put his name on his mailbox.

While there, a stu...nning young lady came out of the apartment next to the mailboxes, wearing only a robe.

My son smiled at the young woman and she started a conversation with him.

As they talked, her robe slipped open, and it was obvious that she had nothing else on.

The poor kid broke into a sweat trying to maintain eye contact.

After a few minutes, she placed her hand on his arm and said, "Let's go to my apartment, I hear someone coming."

He followed her into her apartment. She closed the door and leaned against it, allowing her robe to fall off completely.

Now nude, she purred at him, "What would you say is my best feature?"

Flustered and embarrassed, he finally squeaked, "It's has to be your ears."

Astounded and a little hurt, she asked, "My ears? Look at these breasts; they are a full 38 inches and 100% natural. I work out every day and my a** is firm and solid. I have a 28 inch waist. Look at my skin – not a blemish anywhere. How can you think that the best part of my body is my ears?"

Clearing his throat, he stammered, "Outside, when you said you heard someone coming ... that was me."

Caldwell is best person for OC. I think Duce would be better served waiting a couple years before taking on the offense coordinator position. My opinion that means little. Either way I am good.

3 hours ago, stine said:

We have only one pick in the first 3 rounds this year. That means we need to hit on that pick. I do not care who we get to be honest. But it has to be a very solid player. It may not be one of need but he has to be great. I could see us trading back to grab more picks. Not much different from #32 to #50 or 60. Trade back, grab a 2nd and a 3rd or more. That would help us out more assuming Joe Douglas and Howie can work their magic.....

Really like to have McGlichey(OT-ND) Although JP will play again(it appears) he's not superman and he will hang up the cleats sometime.Big V will grow more,but we DO need HIS BU and McGlinchey could at least be a BU in the event JP gets hurt and BiV has to take over again.JP is not a young man and the hits add up.Although we could use a LB I believe we can snag one in FA(maybe draft one later) 

3 hours ago, stine said:

Someone will get traded for some picks,it's the WHO and what can we get we don;t know yet