VaBeach_Eagle

The 2019 and/or 2020 NFL Draft will be hosted by ...

Finalists to host 2019, 2020 NFL Draft announced

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916417/article/finalists-to-host-2019-2020-nfl-draft-announced

The finalists to host the 2019 or 2020 draft, as announced on Thursday, are Cleveland/Canton, Kansas City, Tennessee, Denver and Las Vegas, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The winners will be announced at the Spring League Meeting in May. A winning city cannot host the draft in both years.

Four of the above cities are home to NFL franchises. Canton is the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Las Vegas doesn't currently have a team, but the Oakland Raiders are set to move there for the start of the 2020 season.

This year's draft, which takes place April 26-28, will be held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

The draft was held in New York City from 1965 through 2014. However since 2015, the league has moved the draft's location around from year to year, holding the annual event in Chicago in two seasons and Philadelphia for one.

Why they would want it anywhere but Philly? Objectively that was excellent television and excellent local level of interest.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:19 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Why they would want it anywhere but Philly? Objectively that was excellent television and excellent local level of interest.

The idea is to give ALL NFL cities a chance to host it.  A lot of cities have expressed interest in the draft.

Personally, I would like to see the draft moved to the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of Kentucky Derby week and held in the infield at Churchill Downs in Louisville (which is within reasonable driving distance of several NFL cities).  You could easily have 60,000+ in the infield for that event with another 70-80,000 in the stands at Churchill for Day 1 of the draft. 

If Baltimore gets the draft, I would have it the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of Preakness Week in the infield at Pimlico where again you could have 100,000+ there. 

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

The idea is to give ALL NFL cities a chance to host it. 

I know it'll never happen, but I'd like to see some non-NFL cities get some events.

Of course, Orlando as hosted the Pro Bowl, as has Hawaii, so there's precedent there. But the NFL has a huge fan base outside of NFL cities.

Which cities? I don't know, but I'm sure there's some appropriate cities out there that could do it. Bring the NFL to fans that never get that kind of opportunity.

i would think the major obsticle would be finding a place large enough to host a game, and be able to support the field. size wise and all that.. perhaps some soccer stadiums...

10 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

i would think the major obsticle would be finding a place large enough to host a game, and be able to support the field. size wise and all that.. perhaps some soccer stadiums...

I'm not specifically speaking of games, though I'm sure there's large college stadiums around the country that could do it. I'm thinking more of the draft. I'll use my area as an example, though not to suggest that this would be a choice for hosting the draft, but there's a large population in Hampton Roads, Virginia. In those times when various professional sports have flirted with the area (the NHL has, as has the NBA), it's always been pointed out that this area is one of the largest Metro areas in the US without a major sports franchise.

The population is here to support one, but the problem is that Hampton Roads is made up of 9 separate cities, and it's impossible to get them to work together on such a vast project as building a major stadium or arena, and then funding the infrastructure to support it. Not to mention the 'transient' nature of the population here (due primarily to Norfolk Naval Base, and to a lesser degree, Langley Air Force Base). So while the population number is here, the majority of our population are actually from other places around the country and thus, have their own favorite teams. There's a huge Steelers fan base here, as well as a large Eagles fan base. Pittsburgans (is that a word?) and Philadelphians must like it down here lol

All of that said, I think there's a good mix of all fan bases here that there'd be huge interest in an NFL draft, say at the ocean front or something like that. But even beyond that, there's other non-NFL cities around the nation that would be able to support the draft. It won't ever happen, but I think it'd be cool for non-NFL cities to have that experience.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:04 PM, Wallyhorse said:

If Baltimore gets the draft, I would have it the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of Preakness Week in the infield at Pimlico where again you could have 100,000+ there. 

No way. Hosting the draft at Pimlico is a terrible idea. Pimlico is in a bad part of town, miles away from hotels and any touristy areas, with bad transportation and parking options. It's an old facility, the city grew around it closing it off from further development, and it needs to replaced somewhere out in the suburbs, IMO.

If I planned the draft in Baltimore, I would hold it at the Inner Harbor, nearby Convention Center, and/or use the stadiums that are all within walking distance. Baltimore could have larger attendance at an outdoor event downtown rather than shuttling them all up to Pimlico. I don't think the NFL wants to shoehorn themselves into the horse racing schedule either.  They have their own timeline.

After Philly's successful NFL draft, I see it as a marquee football event for NFL cities who can't host a Super Bowl: Cities in the north like Chicago and Philly have nicer weather in the spring. Kansas City, Denver, and Cleveland will never host a Super Bowl outdoors but they can host the draft in the spring. I guess Dallas isn't on the short list to host another Super Bowl... Nashville could host a Super Bowl, but the football stadium isn't up to Super Bowl standards. It could be a good test event for the city. Las Vegas should build a nice stadium worthy of hosting a Super Bowl once the Raiders move there.

Cleveland/Canton? They are hours away from each other but I hope it’s Canton because I’m on an hour and a half away!

On 2/15/2018 at 10:19 PM, Fresh Prince said:

The NFL sucks thats why who the hell wants it in Canton or Denver