Sign in to follow this  
rickm

A Suggestion To The Owners: Restore Those Ignored NFL Championship Games.

I believe the NFL’s policy regarding the pre-Super Bowl Championships is dead wrong. I researched the issue and just self-published an article on-line titled "Wake-up NFL And Join Reality--A Suggestion To The Owners: Restore Those Ignored NFL Championship Games.”  I'm a big Eagles fan and we have 3 championships that are arbitrarly ignored. Why aren't pre-Super Bowl NFL Championships not counted for the real total? Every other major league sport counts all championships from the league's origin (1937 for the NFL). 

If you have 10 minutes, here’s the article. Paste it in your browser or go to Medium.com and search for the title of this post.

https://medium.com/@ric62551/wake-up-nfl-and-join-reality-62c5496132f

The 10 team AFL was absorbed by the 16 team NFL. Pete Roselle was the NFL commissioner on both sides of the merger. I'd have no problem wither having an asterisk for those 6 years. 

Restore? They've never been revoked. Stop listening to opposing fans who want to invalidate any history that happened before they were born.

Here’s my thought to those who don’t recognize the pre Super Bowl championships:

What about the careers of players who played pre Super Bowl? Do they get thrown out too? So long Jim Brown, Sammy Baugh, Bronko Nagurski, Jim Thorpe, Otto Graham, Steve Van Buren, Chuck Bednarik, Y.A. Tittle, D Night Train Lane, and Jim Taylor(Just to name a few). And thats only players who finished their careers before the Super Bowl started. There are numerous HOFers who’s majority of their illustrious careers took place before the SB. Do they all get discredited too because what they accomplished happened before they changed the GD name of the championship game? 

33 minutes ago, rickm said:

Correct. The NFL's policy completely disrespects those players and titles.

Anyone who knows their teams' history knows better.

It was always fun to bust the stones of Eagles fans with the "empty trophy case" crap, but thats all it was, just for fun. I certainly knew that they already had a few Championships prior to the SB era, just as the Giants do, and a lot of other teams.

I had the pleasure of living amongst Giants fans in Jersey for 25 years. All they care about Super Bowls. Period. And, they laugh at those old championship titles. My in laws were Dallas fanatics--same treatment.

10 hours ago, rickm said:

I had the pleasure of living amongst Giants fans in Jersey for 25 years. All they care about Super Bowls. Period. And, they laugh at those old championship titles. My in laws were Dallas fanatics--same treatment.

They sound like a bunch of idiots

11 hours ago, rickm said:

Any Giants fan who wants to negate pre-Super Bowl NFL Championships, is also negating half of their own teams championships, and if those championships are to be negated, then all NFL Records pre-1970 (since the 'modern era' begins in 1970 with the merger), are also to be negated.

If all pre-Super Bowl history is negated, then we'll need a new name for what is now called the "Lombardi Trophy", because that Lombardi guy did nothing in the 'modern' NFL so why name the trophy after that bozo? How about the "Rodger Goodell Trophy"?

Ive always found it dumb to ignore the championships. I don't think its an official policy per se, but they do it casually. The MLB and NBA meanwhile respect all the titles for each team. Its just a lot of dumb announcers go only with SB wins in discussion and get people accustomed to it in a way to promote the SB. That was fine 40 SBs ago, but now it does disrespect older players. 

10 hours ago, rickm said:

Wouldn't it be great if the NFL properly accounted for championships lake every other sport? 

They are accounted for. You really need to ignore people that try to tell you that the old, pre-Super Bowl championships don't count.

You have to understand though, that the NFL that we have today, is basically formed from 3 different leagues. The NFL, the AAFC and the AFL. So the history of the league, encompasses the histories of those three leagues.

How would you propose accounting for the League Championships for, say, 1948? The NFL had its champions (the Eagles) and the AAFC had its champions (the Browns). Or how about 1960? The NFL had its champions (The Eagles) and the AFL had its champions, (The Oilers).

Both are recognized as being the Champions of their leagues in the NFL's history, as you can see below:

http://www.nfl.com/history

NFC.JPG.d31efd3c63490100cd39745f835f4ac8.JPG

AFC.JPG.b9651524bd806671da7818ff097e293c.JPG

All good points, but the official NFL formed in 1937 and all mergers came through that organization. Only teams that won the NFL Championship are formally recognized. I've done some good research encompassing the creation of all the major sports leagues and their policy. My goal is have the league use the term Combined Championships instead of Super Bowl Championships only. Again, I'd like to hear your critique of my article. I've been making tweets to it as I get input from others. Once complete, I'm going to get in the hands of owners,influencers and the NFL.

58 minutes ago, rickm said:

All good points, but the official NFL formed in 1937 and all mergers came through that organization. Only teams that won the NFL Championship are formally recognized. I've done some good research encompassing the creation of all the major sports leagues and their policy.

1995 was the NFL's 75th anniversary, having been established in 1920. The league officially changed its name to 'National Football League' in 1922. The Eagles were established in 1933.

You're correct, but here's the league you're describing:

Teams in the 1920–1932 Era :Akron ProsBuffaloCanton BulldogsChicago CardinalsChicago TigersCleveland TigersColumbus PanhandlesDayton TrianglesGreen Bay PackersRock Island IndependentsToledo MaroonsKenosha MaroonsDecatur StaleysDetroitHammond ProsMuncie FlyersRacine LegionRochester Jeffersons

As you probably read, that early period was very disorganized with teams coming and going every year. The first NFL Championship was played in 1933, so I appreciate your correction. My beginning date for my championship issue is amended to 1933 vs. 1937.

The point of my article is to encourage the NFL to change their official championship game communications/record keeping policy and use combined Super Bowl/NFL Championship Games to provide equal treatment and respect to those pre-1970 championships. This isn’t about rationalizing anything. Rather, it’s accurately reflecting history.

Thanks again for your catch.