pisceschica

Blake Bortles 3yr $54M w/jags

Very interesting. Cheap enough contract for them to add more pieces to the team. But Bortles will have to improve drastically because honestly the QB position is viewed as a weak point for them.

Thanks thanks Chica for not posting an ESPN link. Screw them.

1 hour ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Very interesting. Cheap enough contract for them to add more pieces to the team. But Bortles will have to improve drastically because honestly the QB position is viewed as a weak point for them.

Thanks thanks Chica for not posting an ESPN link. Screw them.

Bortles did play really well down the stretch. Maybe they are hoping the light came on and will stay on. 

He is Flacco light without the 2012 playoff run. This is an awful move.

The Jags are propped up by the crud division they played this year.

They were 6-6 against real NFL teams and 4-0 against the 1-9 Savage/Yates Texans and the 4-12 Colts (who are 2-12 against real teams and 2-0 against Savage/Yates) Their D was mediocre when not playing those 2 teams. They got more than half their sacks in those 4 games.

Expect Jacksonville to regress.

Don't get me started on they beat Pittsburgh. Cleveland barely lost to Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh played with fire all year long.

As much as everyone doubted Nick this post-season, I don't want to be eating my words a year from now, but from what we've seen out of Bortles, I just don't see him ever winning it all for the Jags.

There could always be a 'magical run', but at this point, I just don't see it.

The good news is this is one less possible destination for Foles. I'm greedy, and want to keep Foles and Wentz.

This is great news!

That's an awful move for the Jags and keeps them right on the edge of being a really good team without being legit Super Bowl contenders. 

Well done Jacksonville! 

9 hours ago, skippyx said:

He is Flacco light without the 2012 playoff run. This is an awful move.

The Jags are propped up by the crud division they played this year.

They were 6-6 against real NFL teams and 4-0 against the 1-9 Savage/Yates Texans and the 4-12 Colts (who are 2-12 against real teams and 2-0 against Savage/Yates) Their D was mediocre when not playing those 2 teams. They got more than half their sacks in those 4 games.

Expect Jacksonville to regress.

Don't get me started on they beat Pittsburgh. Cleveland barely lost to Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh played with fire all year long.

I woudlnt expect it to be crud for too long. Tenn could jump easily. HOU too with Watson healthy. JAX has a stout D though. Should be a tough one. 

3 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

This move ranks way up there with the dumbest decisions ever made in NFL history

It's puzzling sure, but what do you think Coughlin has in mind there? That team doesn't have glaring weaknesses, other than QB.

5 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

It's puzzling sure, but what do you think Coughlin has in mind there? That team doesn't have glaring weaknesses, other than QB.

It makes no sense to me. Bortles has been largely abysmal since he got there, and theres a stack of evidence on tape to prove it.

They are really just a move or two away from being a truly complete team, and QB is one of those moves. Why they chose to extend this guy is beyond me

1 minute ago, Gmen4ever said:

It makes no sense to me. Bortles has been largely abysmal since he got there, and theres a stack of evidence on tape to prove it.

They are really just a move or two away from being a truly complete team, and QB is one of those moves. Why they chose to extend this guy is beyond me

They are a half decent QB away from being a legit SB contender. I mean they had the AFC Championship game under control at half time and they bottled it. Imagine what they could have done with even a half decent QB. 

Bortles is awful, perhaps in the bottom 5 QBs in the league and they still had a chance. This move makes no sense. 

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They are a half decent QB away from being a legit SB contender. I mean they had the AFC Championship game under control at half time and they bottled it. Imagine what they could have done with even a half decent QB. 

Bortles is awful, perhaps in the bottom 5 QBs in the league and they still had a chance. This move makes no sense. 

He played great against the Patriots though. And he didn't have any turnovers in the playoffs. 

Seems like they're buying his average to slightly above average three game playoff run instead of his four years or dreadful mediocrity.

$18m per season is chump change at the QB position compared to what someone like Cousins is going to get, but you already know what you're getting with Bortles. I don't know how you commit to that guy at QB when the rest of your roster is Super Bowl caliber. 

The Jags probably didn't like any of the free agents QBs and didn't want to trade for one.

I wouldn't call it a terrible move, without knowing how the deal is constructed. Maybe they can get out of the deal after two seasons. Still, I think it would've been better for them to just use the fifth-year option.

I have to imagine the logic here is to draft a QB with a 1/2 this year (Next year at worst) and keep Bortles holding down the fort for the time being.  If Bortles cuts down on his turnovers, then great, they have a legitimate contender under far less cap pressure than if they went big in FA.  If not, then you throw in the young kid and roll the dice.  Either way, they are setup for the future better than what they would be if they went for a big FA QB and flopped.

I personally would have gone all in on Cousins but thats just my opinion.  I guess thats a tough option to bank on though when you've got dumpster-fire franchises like the Jets practically willing to hand Kirk a blank check

For anyone who's wondering about Bortles INT rankings (Since that's the big knock on him), I pulled this together for a conversation I've had with a few other people:

2014 - 17 INTs, T-4th most

2015 - 18 INTs, T-1st most

2016 - 16 INTs, T-7th most

2017 - 13 INTs, T-7th most

There's a slightly positive trend to observe but IMO, once a turnover machine, always a turnover machine.  There are some anomalies to the rule but with that said, I'd bet good money on Bortles never registering single digit INTs over a 16 game season.  Just not the type of QB that a team with an unbelievable defense and a great running game really needs

QB market officially screwed. "Even Blake Bortles can get 18 mil per year!"

Now that becomes the base line for people like Bradford, Keenum, and Bridgewater. Yuck. I really hope he actually performs up to the contract because otherwise, this is a real drag for the market.

6 hours ago, Bored said:

The Jags probably didn't like any of the free agents QBs and didn't want to trade for one.

I wouldn't call it a terrible move, without knowing how the deal is constructed. Maybe they can get out of the deal after two seasons. Still, I think it would've been better for them to just use the fifth-year option.

I read someplace (no sure where) that it's structured like a series of 1 year deals, he can be cut about any time without serious cap repercussions.  Bortles isn't really in a position to make too many demands,  HE wasn't a Super Bowl MVP or anything like that ;).

I think some of you are being a bit too hard on Bortles. Okay, he's not an elite QB like Manning/Brady/Montana/Elway/Marino, but then again, the league is rarely packed with QB's on that level.. Some very regular QB's have won Super Bowls. 

15 minutes ago, The_Talon said:

I think some of you are being a bit too hard on Bortles. Okay, he's not an elite QB like Manning/Brady/Montana/Elway/Marino, but then again, the league is rarely packed with QB's on that level.. Some very regular QB's have won Super Bowls. 

If Bortles didn't have that defense would he have been able to take them to the playoffs?