Sign in to follow this  
Don Corleone

Roger Goodell Expected to Fine Jerry Jones Millions of Dollars

With the support of many N.F.L. owners, Commissioner Roger Goodell is prepared to escalate his public feud with Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and long one of the most influential people in the league, by fining him millions of dollars for his efforts to derail negotiations to renew Goodell’s contract and for his outspoken defense of a star player who was suspended, according to five league officials with direct knowledge of the situation.

The punishment will be issued in the coming weeks by Goodell, who will declare that Jones’s actions were detrimental to the league, which rarely shows such acute signs of acrimony among owners and the commissioner’s office. Goodell has been reluctant to be seen as exacting retribution for the way Jones tried to sabotage his contract talks, but he was urged to bring the penalties by several owners who believed that Jones had crossed an unspoken boundary by threatening his colleagues.

In November, Jones hired the high-profile lawyer David Boies and said he was prepared to sue the six owners on the league’s compensation committee, which had been working for months on extending Goodell’s contract. Jones also lobbied loudly for running back Ezekiel Elliott not to be penalized, and reportedly tried to influence league officials deciding his case. Elliott had been suspended by the league for six games before the season after the N.F.L. investigated domestic-assault allegations.

Jones will be ordered to pay the legal fees that the committee incurred defending itself, as well as the legal expenses the N.F.L. spent defending its decision to suspend Elliott.

A spokesman for the Cowboys said the team was unaware of the impending penalties and did not immediately have a comment. A spokesman for the N.F.L. said the league had no comment.

The genesis of the issue dates back about a year. In the months before Elliott, the Cowboys’ star running back, was suspended in August, Jones said publicly that his player did not deserve to be penalized after a former girlfriend accused him of domestic violence in an incident that predated his entry into the N.F.L. Jones also tried to influence one of the league’s top investigators, according to ESPN.

Elliott was not arrested or charged by prosecutors, but the N.F.L. used statements by a former girlfriend of Elliott’s, along with photos of injuries he was accused of inflicting upon her, to justify the suspension.

After Elliott was suspended, Jones continued to support him. Elliott took his case to federal court, where his appeals were ultimately denied.

At the same time, Jones, who was a nonvoting member of the compensation committee, tried to persuade many of the league’s owners that Goodell’s contract extension should be far less generous than the one that was being proposed.

Jones was aware as early as August that only about 12 percent of Goodell’s compensation was guaranteed, and the rest would be based on whether he and the league met a variety of financial targets. Jones, however, continued to argue that Goodell was being overpaid. Though some owners were sympathetic to his stance, many of them backed away from supporting him when he threatened to sue the members of the compensation committee.

The compensation committee includes some of the most powerful owners in the league, and close confidants of the commissioner. The members are the owners of the Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Texans.

Soon after Elliott exhausted his appeals, Jones hired Boies, who has over the years represented the N.F.L. In early November, Jones told the six owners on the committee that he had hired Boies and was prepared to take them to court to stop them from finalizing Goodell’s deal.

That set off an embarrassing volley of letters between lawyers for the compensation committee and Jones, and turned the issue of Goodell’s contract extension into a public talking point just as the league was grappling with the fallout from player protests during the playing of the national anthem.

Jones ultimately backed down on his threat to sue, but the ill will remained. At a league meeting in Irving, Tex., in December, Jones was upbraided for his behavior by many owners, including some who rarely weigh in strongly on league issues.

At the same meeting, with the support of most owners, Goodell was given a five-year extension. Under its terms, he has the possibility of earning as much as $200 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/sports/football/roger-goodell-jerry-jones-nfl.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Goodell is such a fricken moron. I mean, he got his $$$ and extension. Let it go. Conduct detrimental? Give me a break. 

17 minutes ago, cowboy30 said:

Goodell is such a fricken moron. I mean, he got his $$$ and extension. Let it go. Conduct detrimental? Give me a break. 

Hey, Jerry should feel lucky. I tried my best to convince Roger to take the team away from him and disband it, but he wouldn't listen to me...

This is one of those fights where I hope they both come out looking irredeemable.

23 minutes ago, cowboy30 said:

FB_IMG_1518557257712.jpg

1 hour ago, cowboy30 said:

Right?

Goodell sucks too.

It just comes off as sour grapes.

Pretty much every big money maker for the NFL, such as the way they run the their merchandising agreements, advertising deals, the NFL network,  have all been JJ, sometimes (such as the merchandising and TV deals) he’s had fight Goodell directly over it and save him from himself.

if i’m JJ i’d just back away and let Goodell and the rest of the owners f everything up like they were on the verge of doing when he got involved, they were about to turn the NFL into the NHL. Goodell is a big reason the ratings are falling. 

50 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

What??? LOL

Two a-holes going at each other.

Taint going to end well

3 hours ago, cowboy30 said:

It does say he has the support of many owners. I'm not so sure this is even his agenda. Keep in mind Jerry basically threw a tantrum in front of the rest of the owners. I think some of the owners might be a bit mad.

3 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

It does say he has the support of many owners. I'm not so sure this is even his agenda. Keep in mind Jerry basically threw a tantrum in front of the rest of the owners. I think some of the owners might be a bit mad.

Bingo. I bet most of the owners can't stand Jerry and are using this as a way to F with him. 

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It's killing me, but rooting for Jerruh on this one.

This isn’t about Goodell; it’s about other owners getting threatened and intimidated. This cannot be allowed. It’s killing me, but I’m rooting for Goodell on this one. But otherwise he can go suck a lemon.

I don't know if this is a separate fine, but the fine is expected to be $2 million for the court costs that they racked up while going to court against Ezekiel. Maybe Goodell is fining him twice now to really stick it.

Commissioner Roger Goodell and the NFL are expected to compel Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to reimburse legal fees the league incurred this past season, a league source told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Monday.

Rapoport reports the payment of more than $2 million by Jones would be "a reimbursement of costs incurred by member clubs" associated with Ezekiel Elliott's efforts to appeal his six-game suspension and Jones' work to slow Goodell's contract extension.

"It was a year-long storyline of Jerry Jones threatening to sue the NFL and trying to impede the progress that they were making involving Roger Goodell's salary negotiations. And, actually, this goes all the way back to Jerry Jones' vocal opposition to the six-game penalty that ended up coming for Ezekiel Elliott. One thing the league will try to do is get Jerry Jones to pay the legal fees associated with his contesting a lot of what the league was trying to do, whether involved with Elliott or whether involved with Roger Goodell's salary and Jerry Jones' threat to sue."

The news of a potential payment was first reported Monday by The New York Times.

The Dallas Cowboys declined to comment when reached by NFL.com.

Jones unsuccessfully spent weeks this past season attempting to slow a new contract extension for Goodell and routinely expressed his anger over Elliott's six-game suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy.

Goodell signed an extension early last December, and Elliott ultimately served his suspension following a lengthy appeals process that took place over much of the 2017 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917598/article/nfl-expected-to-have-jerry-jones-reimburse-legal-fees

It’s about one owner who thought he could overrule the other 31 owners by draining them with expensive legal battles. This really can’t be tolerated, irrespective of what you feel about Jones or the validity of his positions. And for Jones, $2 million is chump change.

27 minutes ago, BCEagle said:

And for Jones, $2 million is chump change.

Yeah but on top of that, he has to go to Philadelphia, stand atop the Rocky steps and sing Fly, Eagles Fly for an hour while wearing this shirt...

thumb.jpg.2510e4537406f69a74eaed08b3668978.jpg

His muffled screams have gotten louder lately...