Don Corleone

NFL could change DPI from spot foul to 15-yard penalty

The NFL is reportedly looking at implementing a number of rule changes, some expected (clarifying the catch rule) and some not so.

One of the surprising proposals offered by the Competition Committee is to change the penalty for defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty at most, NFL Network's Judy Battista reported Tuesday. This is more in line with how the game is refereed on the collegiate level.

Changing the pass interference penalty is on its face a defense-first measure. Offenses would have far less to gain by "chucking it up" to try and draw a penalty from a grabby defensive back downfield.

Defensive pass interference was called 266 times in 2017, per Pro Football Reference, or more than once per game for an average of 18.09 yards per game. It was the third-most frequent flag behind offensive holding and false start.

In addition, and perhaps as a counter-measure, the league is expected to increase "illegal contact" calls as an effort to limit the amount of hand-fighting.

Battista reported the league is also looking at the targeting rule and emphasizing more ejections for fighting.

Outside the lines, the NFL is also expected to implement a Josh McDaniels Rule. Battista reported a new measure to allow teams to hire coaches, even while their teams are still active in the playoffs, could be adopted.

The catalyst for this rule came earlier this month. The Colts were expected to hire McDaniels, then and still New England's offensive coordinator, as their next head coach, but couldn't until after the Pats were eliminated from the postseason. After the Super Bowl, McDaniels backed out of their handshake agreement, causing Indianapolis to scramble to find a replacement.

The Competition Committee is made up of two owners, club presidents, general managers and head coaches. The Committee must present proposed measures to the 32 owners to be accepted. A new rule or a revision must have the support of 75 percent of the owners.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917735/article/league-could-change-dpi-from-spot-foul-to-15yard-penalty?campaign=tw-nf-sf183146560-sf183146560&sf183146560=1

It's only good because there are too many fricken bad calls where there wasn't any PI. Only bad thing now is that if I'm being beat I'm pulling that guy down 100% of the time. Take the 15 and move on.

I hope they do change the DPI rule to the college 15 yarder. I wish they would change the automatic first down on DPI as well. hate that a defense can have an offense in a 3rd and 25 but if the DB breathes on the receiver the wrong way, it's an automatic first down for the offense. Illegal contact needs to be expanded to 10 yards from the current 5. I DO NOT want a targeting rule brought to the NFL. I hate it in college and I would hate it even more in the pros. No thanks. 

3 minutes ago, cowboy30 said:

It's only good because there are too many fricken bad calls where there wasn't any PI. Only bad thing now is that if I'm being beat I'm pulling that guy down 100% of the time. Take the 15 and move on.

I don't know, college has been doing fine with the 15 yard rule and I don't notice anymore PI calls in their games than I do in the NFL. 

The thing about that is, if it looks like a WR is about to catch a 50 yard bomb, just tackle him and you only give up 15 yards.

That's an incentive for CBs to avoid the big plays.

I'm indifferent on the PI rule... on one hand it'll be less destructive when a ticky tack call is made.  Which most seem to be.

But then on the other, defenders might be more aggressive knowing that 15 is significantly less than giving up a catch.  And the last thing I want is more penalties, the game currently needs to be more smooth and this would change that.

I'd like to see them change it so that coaches can't be interviewed and hired until after the playoffs are finished.  It puts teams in the playoffs at an uncompetitive disadvantage.  They have some of their coaches being poached/interviewed instead of game planning... and then when it comes to them hiring or filling out that position they are already behind.

There's a middle ground that has worked in basketball. If it is a tackle to save touchdown or an egregious one treat it as an intentional foul at place of contact; if it is is typical contact, 15 yards.

10 hours ago, vsptroops said:

I hope they do change the DPI rule to the college 15 yarder. I wish they would change the automatic first down on DPI as well. hate that a defense can have an offense in a 3rd and 25 but if the DB breathes on the receiver the wrong way, it's an automatic first down for the offense. Illegal contact needs to be expanded to 10 yards from the current 5. I DO NOT want a targeting rule brought to the NFL. I hate it in college and I would hate it even more in the pros. No thanks. 

What’s rule is the targeting rule? I don’t watch college football so idk

6 hours ago, hanz said:

What’s rule is the targeting rule? I don’t watch college football so idk

Basically, if the ref on the field thought there was an intent to injure a player on a personal foul penalty, they would call targeting. It then gets reviewed by the booth and if they agree with the ref, then that player is ejected from the game.

10 hours ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

They need to get rid of automatic first down for defensive holding also, biggest crock of ish 

They probably won't do that because teams like the Patriots depend on it so much.

As much as PI is called in NFL now, I feel like college football has called it even tighter since the penalty isn't as harsh on the defense (15 yards in college vs. spot foul in NFL.)  Now that we have a generation of refs working their way up from college, calling PI as strict as there, it's worked its way into the NFL. It's probably time to adopt the college rule.

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The thing about that is, if it looks like a WR is about to catch a 50 yard bomb, just tackle him and you only give up 15 yards.

That's an incentive for CBs to avoid the big plays.

On the flip side, there is incentive for the WR to flop and take the penalty instead of making the catch. The result is the same for the offense.

In college, the WR needs to make the catch to get the 50 yard gain, even if the defender is interfering. WR still needs to work to make the catch. Taking the penalty only nets 15 yards.

11 hours ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

They need to get rid of automatic first down for defensive holding also, biggest crock of ish 

Yup. 5 yard penalty and replay down, unless the penalty yards are enough to give the offense a first down.

Maybe we'll start getting some of those SB Champion calls go our way that the Pats have gotten. I loved the way they called SB52. That's how games should be refereed.

6 hours ago, toolg said:

On the flip side, there is incentive for the WR to flop and take the penalty instead of making the catch. The result is the same for the offense.

How often do you see a WR 'flop' when there isn't actually PI, rather than try to catch the ball?

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

How often do you see a WR 'flop' when there isn't actually PI, rather than try to catch the ball?

I often see the WR sell the penalty over catching the ball.... I'd rather see the WR go for the catch, even if he's being interfered with.

Just now, toolg said:

I often see the WR sell the penalty over catching the ball.... I'd rather see the WR go for the catch, even if he's being interfered with.

I can't think of any instances where a PI was called because a WR didn't try to catch the ball, but instead 'flopped', in an effort to get a penalty rather than catch the ball. Can you remember some examples that might be on NFL.COM as highlights?

On 2/27/2018 at 1:55 PM, cowboy30 said:

This is where I would do it the way the USFL had it where PI was 15 yards BUT if it was blatant PI it became a spot foul.

On 2/27/2018 at 5:23 PM, Iron **** said:

There's a middle ground that has worked in basketball. If it is a tackle to save touchdown or an egregious one treat it as an intentional foul at place of contact; if it is is typical contact, 15 yards.

That sounds good in theory, but we are talking about the judgment of NFL refs here.  I don't know if we want to keep allowing them to make those kind of determinations of whether it was intentional or unintentional. I initially thought the way you did with this, but I think they should just leave it as it is and err on the side of not calling it if it is close.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, Don Corleone said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917735/article/league-could-change-dpi-from-spot-foul-to-15yard-penalty?campaign=tw-nf-sf183146560-sf183146560&sf183146560=1

The NFL is reportedly looking at implementing a number of rule changes, some expected (clarifying the catch rule) and some not so. One of the surprising proposals offered by the Competition Committee is to change the penalty for defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty at most, NFL Network's Judy Battista reported Tuesday. This is more in line with how the game is refereed on the collegiate level. Changing the pass interference penalty is on its face a defense-first measure. Offenses would have far less to gain by "chucking it up" to try and draw a penalty from a grabby defensive back downfield.

I'm on board with this. I never liked the fact that the OC could call this and possibly get 20, 30, 40 or more yds. on a questionable call. The way the rule is now it assumes the WR would have caught the ball. But there's no way to know that for sure b/c it didn't happen! Maybe they can have 2 levels of penalty, one for incidental contact = 10 yds. and one for mugging the WR = 15 yds.  

In addition, and perhaps as a counter-measure, the league is expected to increase "illegal contact" calls as an effort to limit the amount of hand-fighting.

I wouldn't do that. I'd increase the 5 yds. to 10 and allow any & all non-holding moves by the DB. This would give the DB a little more time to get the WR off his route. And if the DB can keep pace or even beat the WR all the better. OCs, WRs & QBs have had wayyy too big of an advantage in this part of the game.    

Battista reported the league is also looking at the targeting rule and emphasizing more ejections for fighting.

Good. No mo gangsta stuff!

I'd hate to make it a two tiered penalty, because it shouldn't be a complex matter, but I do think that if the 15-yard rule comes to pass, there may be a problem with DB's intentionally committing interference on a deep pass to avoid the long gain, opting instead to take the 15. However, in college, that doesn't seem to happen a lot, so maybe it would work out.

The two-tier penalty would be a 'flagrant' or an 'incidental', which has been alluded to in a couple of the foregoing comments. Of course, judging intent is difficult, and do we really want a more complicated interference call? 

There have been two-tiered penalties - face mask penalties used to be. And roughing the kicker and running into the kicker is effectively a two-tiered penalty. So it can be done. 

My suggestion would be to go with the 15, then tweak it if necessary. It might be a good idea to make it reviewable too, though by making it a 15, it kind of negates the need for a review. But if they leave it the way it is, I think they should consider making it reviewable, because one call can definitely alter the outcome.

I've got to be honest... I quite like this change if it does happen. 

I've never liked the PI spot penalty because it assumes that the WR was absolutely going to catch the ball. Now whilst I agree the defense should be punished I don't think a spot foul is quite right. I get why it is that way but it just feels like an assumption of the WR catching the ball. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I've got to be honest... I quite like this change if it does happen. 

I've never liked the PI spot penalty because it assumes that the WR was absolutely going to catch the ball. Now whilst I agree the defense should be punished I don't think a spot foul is quite right. I get why it is that way but it just feels like an assumption of the WR catching the ball. 

It actually used to be that way i think. If they do change it back i would put a clause in where intentional pass interference is a spot foul. Id like to see the illegal contact penalty completely removed.