BCEagle

Browns entertaining offers for #1 pick

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22615168/cleveland-browns-gm-john-dorsey-listen-offers-no-1-pick?sf183369080=1

John Dorsey has a message for his peers.

"Give me a call and see what's up," the Cleveland Browns' new general manager told reporters on Thursday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

7 minutes ago, BCEagle said:

Hey John, Howie, I will trade you 32 for 1 straight up, 32 is where champions draft, you guys need some championship karma.  Done, awesome, it was great robbing............I mean great doing business with you.

Foles and the #32 pick for the #1 pick??

Nah...the Browns wouldn't do that?   Would they?

39 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Hey John, Howie, I will trade you 32 for 1 straight up, 32 is where champions draft, you guys need some championship karma.  Done, awesome, it was great robbing............I mean great doing business with you.

1. Trade Foles to the Bills for the #22 pick

2. Sign Sam Bradford.

3. Trade Bradford to the Miami Dolphins for the #11 pick.

4. Trade #32, and #11 to the Denver Broncos for the #5 pick.

5. Trade #22 and #5 plus Vinny Curry to the Browns for the #1 pick.

Pretty obvious. The Giants have said they would listen to offers for #2. They'd be dumb as hell if they didn't, all the GM's this time of year are listening to offers.

Browns give us 1, 4, 33 for pick #32, Curry, Smith, Treggs, Gibson and bag of peanuts

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Pretty obvious. The Giants have said they would listen to offers for #2. They'd be dumb as hell if they didn't, all the GM's this time of year are listening to offers.

This one seems a little more aggressive though. He’s basically begging for a deal.

4 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Agreed they all should be and I'm sure they all are... But if I'm the Browns am I really going to pass on another potentially top QB talent? I mean after the whole Wentz debacle I think they really need to think long and hard. I know they have the #4 pick but by then the top 2/3 QBs could all be gone. 

6 hours ago, BCEagle said:

This one seems a little more aggressive though. He’s basically begging for a deal.

Meh, I just think you're reading too much into it. This is what NFL GM's do, this is the game they play.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if I'm the Browns am I really going to pass on another potentially top QB talent?

Let's say they trade out of 1, they're still sitting at 4, so their guy could still be there.

Having said that, if I'm Dorsey and the Browns, I'm taking Barkley at 1 and a QB at 4.

42 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Meh, I just think you're reading too much into it. This is what NFL GM's do, this is the game they play.

Do you have other quotes from GMs asking people to call him for a deal? I tried to find some, but couldn’t.

10 hours ago, BCEagle said:

When it comes to the Browns you have to wonder if their picks are a waste of time & effort.

They don't seem to know what to do with players once they have them.

Think Wentz would be the player he is now if he were in a Browns uniform??

I don't. 

1 hour ago, BCEagle said:

Do you have other quotes from GMs asking people to call him for a deal? I tried to find some, but couldn’t.

Not looking at that as him begging. All he said was "give me a call and see what's up" still think you're reading too much Into that.

57 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

When it Dorsey ' s the Browns you have to wonder if their picks are a waste of time & effort.

I don't. 

Not the same FO people running the Browns, Dorsey's fairly competent. They also hired the guy the Redskins fired, by all accounts, he's a really good talent evaluator.

4 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Not the same FO people running the Browns, Dorsey's fairly competent. They also hired the guy the Redskins fired, by all accounts, he's a really good talent evaluator.

That's fine, good luck to them . . . they'll need it.

That team has been embarrassingly bad for wayyyyy too long.

1 minute ago, McNabbIsGone said:

That's fine, good luck to them . . . they'll need it.

That team has been embarrassingly bad for wayyyyy too long.

As long as Haslam stays out of the way, they should be fine. Jury's still out on that.

2 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

When it comes to the Browns you have to wonder if their picks are a waste of time & effort.

I don't. 

I've had the same thought about TB12. Would recent  Pro football history be the same if in 2001, the NFL draft went "With the 134th selection (5th round)  of the 2001 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select Tom Brady, quarterback from Michigan".

Not looking at that as him begging. All he said was "give me a call and see what's up" still think you're reading too much Into that.

Fair comment.

3 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Let's say they trade out of 1, they're still sitting at 4, so their guy could still be there.

Having said that, if I'm Dorsey and the Browns, I'm taking Barkley at 1 and a QB at 4.

I dunno... I mean I guess if they take Barkley at one there's a chance one of the top 2 guys falls to them at #4 but it's a risk... Especially if teams trade to #1, #2 and #3? Just think the Browns have accumulated so many picks over the years, now is perhaps the time to just go and take full advantage of them. 

A while back, some folks did regression analysis to determine the true value of draft picks historically. It turns out that the draft chart is less like Jimmy Johnson’s and more like the NBA’s, with a significant drop after the first few picks, but much less of a drop off from say mid first round though the fourth round. Ridiculously so, like two late 3rds are the equivalent of a mid first type of ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I dunno... I mean I guess if they take Barkley at one there's a chance one of the top 2 guys falls to them at #4 but it's a risk... Especially if teams trade to #1, #2 and #3? Just think the Browns have accumulated so many picks over the years, now is perhaps the time to just go and take full advantage of them. 

How can a team trade to 1 if the Browns take Barkley? The entire draft is a risk, it's very likely the guy they want, would be there at #4 and I doubt highly Barkley will be there at 4. If the Browns don't take him at 1, Giants would likely take him at 2. Gettleman drafted McCaffrey at #8 last year, while he was with the Panthers, he has no qualms taking RB's high.

How can a team trade to 1 if the Browns take Barkley? The entire draft is a risk, it's very likely the guy they want, would be there at #4 and I doubt highly Barkley will be there at 4. If the Browns don't take him at 1, Giants would likely take him at 2. Gettleman drafted McCaffrey at #8 last year, while he was with the Panthers, he has no qualms taking RB's high.

QB is too important. You don't risk getting your franchise QB for a RB.

3 minutes ago, Bored said:

QB is too important. You don't risk getting your franchise QB for a RB.

You don't say? The point is, they have 2 picks in the top 4, so, if they feel he's going to be there at 4, they can still take Barkley at 1.

Also, what if they add a starting QB in FA? Yeah, then they wouldn't necessarily have to take a QB at 1.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

You don't say? The point is, they have 2 picks in the top 4, so, if they feel he's going to be there at 4, they can still take Barkley at 1.

I think it's too risky. The Giants might draft a QB and another QB needy team might trade up for #3.