Sign in to follow this  
Eglzfan39

Texans to shun kneeling FAs?

Thoughts on this headline, per the Houston chronicle :

Two NFL agents told the Houston Chronicle that the Texans "aren't interested" in any players who have knelt during the national anthem to protest police brutality.

We posted this blurb under S Eric Reid because he is a free agent who knelt during the anthem. Per the Chronicle's Jerome Solomon, "it is considered to be understood" within the Texans' organization that owner Bob McNair would not sign off on any free agents "who (have) participated in protests or are likely to." In fact, Solomon passes along that there are "many who believe if McNair could field a team with all-white, all-conforming all-pro talent, he would."

This could come back to bite them is the a**. 

6 minutes ago, dms9950 said:

This could come back to bite them is the a**. 

Kind of my thought process, once you factor in the comments made earlier in the season.

Regardless of where you stand on the protest issue, I'd find it hard for anyone to argue that either of those developments didn't make Houston a harder sell for any FA's.  It's not just the current issue at hand, its just the suspicion that the ownership in charge would very easily turn their back on you if they disagreed with your conduct in any fashion.

Even for many players who chose not to kneel themselves, I'm sure one of the last things they want to see is for those that did to be discriminated against because they did

So agents and media are sort of protesting an owner who doesn't like anthem protestors?

This sounds like another speculation on how owners reacted to the protest.....  Who gives a sh-- anyway?  He owns the team....why the hell should he sign anybody he didn't respect?

The players protested......and actions have consequences.  So who cares?

5 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Oh well. Sucks to be a Texans fan. 

First couple of weeks the networks will show it and then stop again because viewers go down. Strange cycle

His position will not help his reputation among players in the league. 

Well keep on sucking Houston!

6 minutes ago, 5th WiL said:

His position will not help his reputation among players in the league. 

Well keep on sucking Houston!

when it comes down to it , the inmates will hush up and take the money . There is only  1696 spots in the NFL  Money talks BS walks 

Didn't all players kneel at one point after what Trump said?? Guess he won't be signing anyone

6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

So agents and media are sort of protesting an owner who doesn't like anthem protestors?

This sounds like another speculation on how owners reacted to the protest.....  Who gives a sh-- anyway?  He owns the team....why the hell should he sign anybody he didn't respect?

The players protested......and actions have consequences.  So who cares?

Speculation?  Thats a pretty damning quote from two separate sources that they "Aren't interested in anyone who has protested or are likely to".  Things that are speculation get refuted quickly and this falls right in line with the owner's previous comments about "Inmates running the asylum".

So question for you: You have two job offers on the table, both equal compensation and duties.  One company is run by an owner with a typical track record, another is run by an owner with a track record of throwing his employees under the bus.  What rational person would choose the latter option? 

You honestly don't understand how this would adversely affect the franchise?  I'm not attempting to re-hash the whole protest argument, since that primarily involves owners and their management of actively employed players.  But as far as recruitment of potential players is concerned?  The Texans just dug themselves a grave

Yes no one will want to go play and make millions of dollars ....  like I said before their are 1692 roster spots in NFL . It comes down to do you want to play or do you want to sit because you dont like the fact your boss has an opinion 

10 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

Yes no one will want to go play and make millions of dollars ....  like I said before their are 1692 roster spots in NFL . It comes down to do you want to play or do you want to sit because you dont like the fact your boss has an opinion 

And there are probably close to 1692 players that all other things considered equal, would rather play for another team than the Texans at this point.  An insignificantly small % of those players will be choosing whether or not to play for the Texans or not play at all

Your boss is allowed to have an opinion and if you as an individual, choose to have an opposition to that opinion and voice it, then you are the one that has a problem.  However, if your employees as a whole choose to have an opinion, and the boss ends up having an opposition to that opinion and voices it, then it is the boss that has the problem.

He can run his franchise however he wants to, its just my personal belief that his voiced opinions are not doing him any favors in a marketplace with 31 other comparable employers

As an owner I wouldn’t want my players taking political stances on my dime. I don’t care what the cause is.   

But it wouldn’t stopping me from signing ones who have in the past. I would let them know up front that it’s not something I’m looking for in my players and if you agree to my terms we are good to go.  Shoot maybe I can help a youn man learn how to be a professional. 

18 hours ago, Eglzfan39 said:

Speculation?  Thats a pretty damning quote from two separate sources that they "Aren't interested in anyone who has protested or are likely to".  Things that are speculation get refuted quickly and this falls right in line with the owner's previous comments about "Inmates running the asylum".

So question for you: You have two job offers on the table, both equal compensation and duties.  One company is run by an owner with a typical track record, another is run by an owner with a track record of throwing his employees under the bus.  What rational person would choose the latter option? 

You honestly don't understand how this would adversely affect the franchise?  I'm not attempting to re-hash the whole protest argument, since that primarily involves owners and their management of actively employed players.  But as far as recruitment of potential players is concerned?  The Texans just dug themselves a grave

No they didn't.......fans and media will typically overreact to this speculation from "sources".

The texans won't have any trouble finding players who didn't agree with the protests but kept quiet because of the backlash from the media and the black players.  Nobody is going to refuse to play for the texans because the owner is against the protestors.  You assume everybody agreed with the protestors, which is hogwash.

And the "inmates are running the asylum" is a common and often used metaphor that was typically blown out of proportion by the politically correct media.  And then the typical "racist" accusations followed because all inmates must be black right????  LMFAO.

It's funny how people defend these players protesting but have little tolerance for an owner protesting the actions of these players. 

I like this gem from the article:

"many who believe if McNair could field a team with all-white, all-conforming all-pro talent, he would."

Uh, yeah, an entire team full of all-pros.  What owner would want that?

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

No they didn't.......fans and media will typically overreact to this speculation from "sources".

The texans won't have any trouble finding players who didn't agree with the protests but kept quiet because of the backlash from the media and the black players.  Nobody is going to refuse to play for the texans because the owner is against the protestors.  You assume everybody agreed with the protestors, which is hogwash.

And the "inmates are running the asylum" is a common and often used metaphor that was typically blown out of proportion by the politically correct media.  And then the typical "racist" accusations followed because all inmates must be black right????  LMFAO.

It's funny how people defend these players protesting but have little tolerance for an owner protesting the actions of these players. 

Here's the thing about the protests, its not as simple as grouping people on a sheer basis of agreeing/disagreeing with them because it was multidimensional.  Within each of these points, you have people with varying opinions:

1. The right to free speech and protest vs. a base level expectation of patriotism and national respect

2. The perceived current national state of civil rights/racial disparity and the resulting attention/action it warrants

3. The right to free speech and protest vs. the rights of employers to govern their employee's actions

This is just a short list BTW, but it gets the point across as to just HOW IGNORANT lumping all those that have/may protest into a single group of "Unemployable".  It lacks any semblance of context or empathy, so please tell me why GIVEN A CHOICE, any player would actively pursue employment with such an owner?

And once again, you can reference the bottom of the barrel, 3rd/4th string players as ammo for your argument that they probably WONT have a choice and will choose employment with the Texans over nothing.  Those are not the type of players that are going to make the Texans competitive.  The high-end starting quality FAs on the market "Probably wont even consider the Texans as an option".  There's 31 other teams to choose from, all with owners who regardless of their stance on the protests, at least have the business sense to not let their individual political views be the sole governing factor on their franchise's personnel decisions.

Yeah OK. Hey Texans, tell you what. When DeAndre Hopkins and DeShaun Watson are free agents, I dare you to let them go for kneeling. 

It's easy to say this when half your roster isn't any good in the first place, and no key pieces are leaving.

32 minutes ago, Eglzfan39 said:

Here's the thing about the protests, its not as simple as grouping people on a sheer basis of agreeing/disagreeing with them because it was multidimensional.  Within each of these points, you have people with varying opinions:

1. The right to free speech and protest vs. a base level expectation of patriotism and national respect

2. The perceived current national state of civil rights/racial disparity and the resulting attention/action it warrants

3. The right to free speech and protest vs. the rights of employers to govern their employee's actions

This is just a short list BTW, but it gets the point across as to just HOW IGNORANT lumping all those that have/may protest into a single group of "Unemployable".  It lacks any semblance of context or empathy, so please tell me why GIVEN A CHOICE, any player would actively pursue employment with such an owner?

And once again, you can reference the bottom of the barrel, 3rd/4th string players as ammo for your argument that they probably WONT have a choice and will choose employment with the Texans over nothing.  Those are not the type of players that are going to make the Texans competitive.  The high-end starting quality FAs on the market "Probably wont even consider the Texans as an option".  There's 31 other teams to choose from, all with owners who regardless of their stance on the protests, at least have the business sense to not let their individual political views be the sole governing factor on their franchise's personnel decisions.

You're overanalyzing this.......the owner has every RIGHT not to want to sign ANYBODY.......regardless of the reason.

And you're wrong, you assume that any player who disagreed with these protests are bottom of the barrel.....that's just bullsh--.  The vast majority of pro football players who become free agents go to the highest bidder......don't think that some ridiculous protest and the owner being disgusted by it will deter free agents.  

So you ask why any player would choose to be a texan?? Money.......alot of it.......and you're just kidding yourself if you think that isn't the biggest influencer....

The texans will feel little to no backlash except from the idiot media and overly sensitive fans.  It cracks me up that you think that a free agent will make a huge financial decision based on a reaction to some ridiculous protest over the economic well being of his family. 

It was abundantly clear that those protests were overwhelmingly offensive to NFL fans......who buy tickets, watch TV and buy merchandise.  So don't think for a minute that the majority supported those protests.....they didn't.  And don't give tell me they had a right do it......maybe they did.....but the NFL ignored it's own rules and didn't do anything to stop it and it was an inappropriate time and place to do it......

Guess they weren't trying to get Bennett.

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

You're overanalyzing this.......the owner has every RIGHT not to want to sign ANYBODY.......regardless of the reason.

And you're wrong, you assume that any player who disagreed with these protests are bottom of the barrel.....that's just bullsh--.  The vast majority of pro football players who become free agents go to the highest bidder......don't think that some ridiculous protest and the owner being disgusted by it will deter free agents.  

So you ask why any player would choose to be a texan?? Money.......alot of it.......and you're just kidding yourself if you think that isn't the biggest influencer....

The texans will feel little to no backlash except from the idiot media and overly sensitive fans.  It cracks me up that you think that a free agent will make a huge financial decision based on a reaction to some ridiculous protest over the economic well being of his family. 

It was abundantly clear that those protests were overwhelmingly offensive to NFL fans......who buy tickets, watch TV and buy merchandise.  So don't think for a minute that the majority supported those protests.....they didn't.  And don't give tell me they had a right do it......maybe they did.....but the NFL ignored it's own rules and didn't do anything to stop it and it was an inappropriate time and place to do it......

You just sound butthurt. Did you actually look at the Super Bowl's numbers? Mostly in-line with the others, hardly a dent.

I think the REAL truth is that while a small portion of the market was offended, and a larger part offended in a knee jerk reaction, the majority didn't care when it mattered. Which is how statistics usually work. Generally the extremes are the minorities, and the majority does not give a flying F. The only general exception is direct politics, like elections. In which case both sides have mostly people pretending to know what they're talking about, but don't.

Like I said, if you support this, I dare them to do it with Watson and Hopkins. They won't. They're doing it particularly because those FA are not what they want as players. If it was someone they wanted back, they'd be back. End of story.

1 hour ago, KzEaglefan86 said:

I like this gem from the article:

Uh, yeah, an entire team full of all-pros.  What owner would want that?

What an extremely dangerous and unprofessional quote.  Whoever put that in the story should be fired, because that is NOT journalism.  Printing hearsay, especially hearsay where unnamed people are quoted or paraphrased, is not factual, but is presented here as if fact.

Imagine if someone printed an article with a quote like this: "many who believe if Donald Trump could deport all naturalized immigrants, he would."  Or, "Many who believe if Barack Obama could make Christianity illegal, he would."  When you take someone's unfounded opinions and present them like they may became fact, you create a story, instead of report a story.  Quite frankly, I wonder if this article has crossed the line of libelous.

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Dude, you either clearly lack reading comprehension skills or you just aren't taking the time to actually read any of my responses.  Your last couple of responses have attempted to rebut points that I've never even come close to making and completely ignored valid questions I've asked you in an attempt to understand where your logic is.

So I'm going to chalk this conversation up as a sunk cost and ignore any further input you have on this topic.  Feel free to continue to discuss this topic with other posters, I just urge you to actually take the time to thoroughly read and comprehend their responses before replying.