DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] Strong In-House Decisions For Coaching Staff

Restructure Lane ... extend Graham ... redo Bennett ... cut Smith and Curry ... all of a sudden we can find ourselves 10 mil under the cap.  

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Yup, Johnson, with Celek and Torrey Smith will likely be enough to get the Eagles under the cap.

No need for Celek yet ... I understand he is overpaid... but the other guys getting done forst is better.   Celek is a leader on this team, I think by taking care of him and Peters the organization sets the tone ... opposite of not paying Dawkins 3 mil extra but spending triple that for the other Andrews brother who was a waste.    Besides that aspect... just from pure $$ ... they need to take care of the bigger $$ first.  They can redo Celek later as they sell him on the idea of using that money to bring in more help for him to get his 2nd ring.   Smith, Curry and Lane are the big #s.  Those dominoes should fall first.  Unless they pull something else out of the hat ... which wont surprise me either.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

No need for Celek yet ... I understand he is overpaid... but the other guys getting done forst is better.   Celek is a leader on this team, I think by taking care of him and Peters the organization sets the tone ... opposite of not paying Dawkins 3 mil extra but spending triple that for the other Andrews brother who was a waste.    Besides that aspect... just from pure $$ ... they need to take care of the bigger $$ first.  They can redo Celek later as they sell him on the idea of using that money to bring in more help for him to get his 2nd ring.   Smith, Curry and Lane are the big #s.  Those dominoes should fall first.  Unless they pull something else out of the hat ... which wont surprise me either.

I'm not sure they'll cut him, but I think they can free up some money there, maybe 1 more year. :lol: Wouldn't surprise me either, there's numerous ways to manipulate the cap.

Re: Bennet; It's cool that this is another violent pass rusher that our very own Derek Barnett can watch and learn from!

22 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

The Saints/Jon Dorenbos trade I believe was voided, but the rest? He's done a fine job.

Underrated fact though Jon trade likely saved his life.....Doesn't get traded likely doesn't find out up his heart problem....Overall say that was still a positive trade 

17 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

redo Bennett

Isn't Bennett only set to make like 1.6 m this year I know someone posted his contract 

18 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Bennett’s base salary: 2018: 1.65 m, 2019: 6 m, 2020: 7.5 m (only 1.7 guaranteed)

From MJK.... Not bad prices for a pretty good pass rusher....Good chance he could hang it up before 2020 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Underrated fact though Jon trade likely saved his life.....Doesn't get traded likely doesn't find out up his heart problem....Overall say that was still a positive trade 

Isn't Bennett only set to make like 1.6 m this year I know someone posted his contract 

No disputing the Dorenbos trade was positive.

I believe Bennett has a roster bonus due March 18th

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

No disputing the Dorenbos trade was positive.

I believe Bennett has a roster bonus due March 18th

Just seen his cap hit think it is set at 6.6m but still cheap for a quality pass rusher 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Just seen his cap hit think it is set at 6.6m but still cheap for a quality pass rusher 

I think $3 million of that is the roster bonus, which, they can convert to reduce his cap #

11 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I'm not sure they'll cut him, but I think they can free up some money there, maybe 1 more year. :lol: Wouldn't surprise me either, there's numerous ways to manipulate the cap.

DC... I'm not talking cut Celek... I'm just saying he is a player that I think they would prefer not to have take a pay cut just yet.  I'm just looking at prior to 3-14 at 4pm.      Bennett can have his whole salary and any roster bonus converted to signing bonus if they want.    The beauty of starting over with a new team is that there is zero dead money to start with.  Basically a clean slate for Howie to work with ... just that Bennett needs to get his money for 2018

It’s Hard to judge based on one move. We are clearly in win now mode. We have been giving up lots of our future for vets. If they sign Darby and Ajayi to extensions that will help. I’m not sure that is where they are leaning though. Many have mentioned trading or cutting Torrey. That would have made Marcus Johnson a challenger to be a starter. So giving up a young receiver and draft pick for an over thirty pass rusher makes us older. It’s win now time. I just would like to keep that window open for as long as possible.

Much to work out for Rosie. We paid for that Championship with 2018 and 2019 cap dollars. Have to sort out these two seasons to keep that Championship Window open. All while having our QB’s huge contract in mind on the horizon.

Yep .. .we paid for that championship ... would you like a refund?    Ways have changed ... Joe Banner is gone... winning is priority, not the cap.  Keep it flowing while the window is open... you can cut guys that are good now later as they get older.   Curry leaving saves a lot of money going forward.  They may not like Marcus Johnson as much as we may think?  Yes we are in we now mode ... they have finally went into the pool with 2 feet.   The team is solid.   In my mind we are already under the cap with Curry and Smith gone.  The rest of the moves will be to open up space for draft picks and free agents.    Ajayi and Darby can play out their deals ... Hicks and Agholor should be more of a concern.  

If the lines, the QB, the top 3 weapons of Alshon, Ertz and Agholor are locked in.... they can reshuffle year to year.   The comp picks are coming big time in 2019 draft.  A Foles move is pretty much almost a certain before the 2018 season finishes ... that should add cap space and draft picks.  McCloud is probably on his way out after this year, opening up some more cap space.  

The way to look at the league now ... salary caps are higher, not many teams are losing players that they don't want to lose.  Drafting well I think will be even more key in terms on the NFL in the early 2020s with less top FAs on the market.  Being a FA destination for players who want to come on a prove it one year deal, like they did in NE for a while seems to be a good idea.  I think the Eagles are in a good position going forward.    They need to draft well these next few years to solidify that! Cap space is last on my mind.  

This was copied from a fan on the eye:

"By all accounts Mr Bennett was a leader on that team. Somebody on that team was critical of Russell Wilson............said he got preferential treatment from management......said he wasn't "Black" enuf. Complained all the time about the offenses production.

Now maybe it was Sherman, maybe it was this guy, maybe someone else. Maybe the leaders allowed it cause that's what they really thought. Maybe that's why Seattle is cleaning out the dynomite in the Legion of Boom? Whole lot of maybe's...........maybe the earth is round tew.

But this really the kind a thing you want to find it's way into the Novacare? Sorry, not me. No way, no how.

Finally climbed the mountain, ain't no way I want them to jump off. "You don't like us...we don't care". But we have to like each other............THAT is why we won and I am NOT willing to risk that for cap space."

Now, I am willing to give this dude a shot, but Seattle dumped him for practically nothing. I am sure there was more to it than just "Cap Space". Will Bennett fair better here? He has done a bunch of Charity work no one talks about. He may fit right in. This fan above is worried that will not happen. I am taking a wait and see attitude. He makes our defense better, when he stays on side. He will benefit from the rotation as he turns 33 around Turkey day.  Almost all on here are on board. I see your optimism. He is a very solid player and can also play inside. I hope all of you are right. Time will tell.

Rumor mill flying again that both Sherman and Talib want to go to the Patriots. 

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

The way to look at the league now ... salary caps are higher, not many teams are losing players that they don't want to lose.  Drafting well I think will be even more key in terms on the NFL in the early 2020s with less top FAs on the market.  Being a FA destination for players who want to come on a prove it one year deal, like they did in NE for a while seems to be a good idea.  I think the Eagles are in a good position going forward.    They need to draft well these next few years to solidify that! Cap space is last on my mind.  

Except us..do you mean? Because it looks like we are facing losing players(as well as coaches). Bradham,Allen,Graham,Burton, Blount and P-Rob are good players. That isn’t up for debate. And we definitely hit on two straight first rounders. But it’s hard to draft well unless you have draft picks....usually high picks(see Wentz and Barnett), which we don’t really have(or as noted quantity).

And looking around the league I don’t think every move is being made because players can’t play anymore. Some are moves being made because of the cap implications. When everybody(teams,agents,the league front offices...) plans for the cap to go up every year that kind of negates any real extra benefits from it happening. I’d say that has been standard business practice for every team since the rookie salary cap was implemented. 

The PHILADELPHIA EAGLES won the freaking Super Bowl!  I'm still loving that fact!  Finally!

As to roster moves, I'm not a huge fan of Bennett as a person; but that's only from the media I have seen or read about.  Maybe that is blown out of proportion? Maybe not.  I can't stand Richard Sherman, but I promise he doesn't care what I think.  I think hitting on all fronts makes the best team; Free agency, draft, signing own players.  I would like to see the Eagles find a way to keep Bradham.  Watching each game a second time showed me that he was the most consistent and best defender on the roster, period!  Losing him would be a big hit.  Torrey Smith and Vinny Curry are definitely gone.  I don't think either had a major impact on the success of the team.  They were clearly contributors, but replaceable contributors.  Finding guys like Patrick Robinson and Corey Graham and Steve Wisniewski - that's not always easy to do and must be done to have a championship caliber team.  The biggest factor in today's league is having a franchise QB and hitting on the draft each year because the drafted players are now the cheapest ones on the roster until their next payday.

"I'm told the Chiefs called all 31 other teams in the league this month on CB Marcus Peters, looking for a trade partner, and 28 teams either said they were not interested or did not make an offer of any value." The two teams that did were the 49er's and the Rams.

5 hours ago, senhorcook said:

I'm not a huge fan of Bennett as a person; but that's only from the media I have seen or read about.

Right ... I don't know him at all.    But in 2018 its a different world then when I grew up ... and I dont consider myself that old.   The media influences everything so much today.  People are experts about everything because they read all of a sudden ... not from their own personal experience or what they hear from others who have experienced it ... its writers and bloggers etc.  And google!

The Seahawks are not going anywhere, they are cutting bait from older players ... whatever the other side stories that make for good writing ... fine.  Same with Denver and Talib ... older players on teams that aren't going anywhere, better off letting them go and starting over as soon as you can.   This doesn't fly, you need to create drama.  Being Eagles fans this last decade or so, how do any of us miss how the media does this.  Every little thing was a huge issue around here.  Blown up for no reason.  

We have a talented, properly built team ...with a strong locker room.   Do you really think some older player coming from a situation like Seattle is going to start trouble and stick around?  WTF is wrong with you if you do.  Rinse repeat with Ajayi, Blount ...etc... anyone give us problems?   That's a RB spot where playing time equals stats... why would a DE that could benefit from a little rest all of a sudden have an issue?    It's 2018 ... our QB is obvious to all of us that he absolutely ISN'T black enough ... so that's not our problem like it was for Russell Wilson or being too much of a black QB like McNabb ... now we just play football.  Moving aon please... great football move, now on to the next one.    Enjoy the SB and stop worrying about dumb S#$%t

Wow this was a fantastic move by Howie, some here got issues with Bennett outspokenness Hahahaha.this is America land. Of the free home of the brave. All reports from his teammates was he was a good teammate. His reputation and my eye test even at 32, teams game plan for this guy. Sooo what’s the problem  with all the NOISE about the LOB about their outspokenness on and off the field...ON THE FIELD,,,many have touted Seattle D as the best of this generation. On the field Bennett, Sherman and others were feared . I think Howie, Joe have proven they know the type of player we want here. Bennett is a beast we should be ecstatic about his addition.... y’all Doubters NOW after Howie got us this Championship. Wow,   TOUGH CROWD... Grest move Howie can’t wait him to see him with Cox, Jernigan Barnett , Graham woooooooOOOOoooooo. I am no longer worried about the Giants getting Saquon Barkley. This is Howie time of year, gonna sit back, Enjoy the show. In Howie I trust.

I woud pose this question ..... in all the years the salary cap has been in the NFL ... how many times have the Eagles been hurt by the cap?     You can't say 2017 ... because its the only time in their history that they won a Superbowl.  Which ultimately is the only thing that matters.    

The other point... there is no player the Eagles are going to lose because of the salary cap.  They absolutely can make the choice to cut or release another player , if needed,  in order to keep any specific player.   It's their choice to where they do not feel the value would be there.    If they wanted to keep Burton, Bradham etc... then they will.  So the idea they absolutely will keep the guys that they want to keep ... they will prioritize.   It may not be the choices that we make ... but it will be the guys that they want to keep.   They chose Jernigan and Alshon to extend during the season, they chose to pay everyone else before that, they are going to choose who to cut now.  That's how it works ... player turnover happens every year, that's life in the big city.   Suck it up!  Next man up!

I woud pose this question ..... in all the years the salary cap has been in the NFL ... how many times have the Eagles been hurt by the cap?     You can't say 2017 ... because its the only time in their history that they won a Superbowl.  Which ultimately is the only thing that matters.    

The other point... there is no player the Eagles are going to lose because of the salary cap.  They absolutely can make the choice to cut or release another player , if needed,  in order to keep any specific player.   It's their choice to where they do not feel the value would be there.    If they wanted to keep Burton, Bradham etc... then they will.  So the idea they absolutely will keep the guys that they want to keep ... they will prioritize.   It may not be the choices that we make ... but it will be the guys that they want to keep.   They chose Jernigan and Alshon to extend during the season, they chose to pay everyone else before that, they are going to choose who to cut now.  That's how it works ... player turnover happens every year, that's life in the big city.   Suck it up!  Next man up!