Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

Rams trade Alec Ogletree to Giants for draft picks

Rams trade Alec Ogletree to Giants for draft picks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/07/rams-trade-alec-ogletree-to-giants-for-draft-picks/

Alec Ogletree is on the move from Los Angeles to New York.

Ogletree, a linebacker who has played his entire five-year career with the Rams, is being traded to the Giants. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Giants will send their fourth-round pick and their sixth-round pick to the Rams for Ogletree. The Rams’ 2019 seventh-round pick will also be part of the deal.

No trade can become official until the league year starts in a week, but trade agreements can be made, and the Rams have been active on the trade market. They’ve also traded for cornerback Marcus Peters from Kansas City, and they traded defensive end Robert Quinn to the Dolphins.

The 26-year-old Ogletree started every game except the Rams’ meaningless Week 17 game last season. But with a $7 million roster bonus coming up and a $3 million base salary, it’s not surprising the Rams wanted his $10 million cap hit off their books. Now the Giants will take that hit, and hope they’ve bolstered their defense.

39 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Lol, do the Giants plan on ignoring the Oline again??

I hope so. 

44 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Hopefully... And then they draft Barkley or a young QB who just get beat down on. I mean I know that's harsh because those players don't deserve that right now... But by the time they are a Giant they absolutely will! :P

4 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I sincerely doubt it. It’s very early, and not many teams are going to let their better OL guys go. 

Keep in mind that they’ve ignored the LB position for over 30 years. This was an excellent move to get Ogletree

4 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

You realize there’s already an offer in place for Norwell, right? Now someone could still come in and top it, but the Giants are going all in on OL. Nelson from Notre Dame is also a consideration at #2 or in a trade down scenario. I guarantee they have 3 new starters at a minimum.

The second biggest position of need is LBer. They used their free 4th round comp pick to grab a good one. Smart move. 

1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

You realize there’s already an offer in place for Norwell, right? Now someone could still come in and top it, but the Giants are going all in on OL. Nelson from Notre Dame is also a consideration at #2 or in a trade down scenario. I guarantee they have 3 new starters at a minimum.

The second biggest position of need is LBer. They used their free 4th round comp pick to grab a good one. Smart move. 

I was more just making a joke. However, it is about time they do something with that line. Thanks for the info

7 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I was more just making a joke. However, it is about time they do something with that line. Thanks for the info

The offensive line is a sensitive topic with us Giants fans...^_^

12 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

I sincerely doubt it. It’s very early, and not many teams are going to let their better OL guys go. 

Keep in mind that they’ve ignored the LB position for over 30 years. This was an excellent move to get Ogletree

Not since the days of Michael Boley and Antonio Pierce have the Giants had any real linebackers. 

The cost money wise is a little steep but now they have a young durable lb who is a year removed from being all-pro and is going back to a 4-3.

Watching tight ends regularly eat the defense alive every year took it's toll.

Sure, the dline and secondary were nice but that middle of the D was about as vulnerable as it could get.

I like the move. Now the focus is on the oline.

Don't know much about him but I did read he wasn't great against the run. Is he more of a pass rusher LB'er or pass defense then?

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

Not since the days of Michael Boley and Antonio Pierce have the Giants had any real linebackers. 

The cost money wise is a little steep but now they have a young durable lb who is a year removed from being all-pro and is going back to a 4-3.

Watching tight ends regularly eat the defense alive every year took it's toll.

Sure, the dline and secondary were nice but that middle of the D was about as vulnerable as it could get.

I like the move. Now the focus is on the oline.

Bettcher(sp?) runs a 3-4 no?

2 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Bettcher(sp?) runs a 3-4 no?

Yup, I think that’s what Vince meant and why there’s a real need for LBers. 

Just now, BKLYNYG said:

Yup, I think that’s what Vince meant and why there’s a real need for LBers. 

Yeah. But I thought Ogletree didn't play as well in a 3-4 and that's why he was traded? He did say he was "going back to a 4-3". I'm confused lol.

2 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Yeah. But I thought Ogletree didn't play as well in a 3-4 and that's why he was traded? He did say he was "going back to a 4-3". I'm confused lol.

In the end what’s going to happen is Bettcher will run a hybrid scheme. It sounds like he mixes it up quite a bit with different looks. What the Giants needed at LBer is athletes. Ogletree fits the bill. 

He probably should have said "going back to a 3-4.” 

Side note, is this board still fun now that the Eagles are so far ahead of the division? I feel like you guys thrived in the underdog role, ha. I joined in 2004 and it was similar dynamic to now. 

6 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

In the end what’s going to happen is Bettcher will run a hybrid scheme. It sounds like he mixes it up quite a bit with different looks. What the Giants needed at LBer is athletes. Ogletree fits the bill. 

He probably should have said "going back to a 3-4.” 

Side note, is this board still fun now that the Eagles are so far ahead of the division? I feel like you guys thrived in the underdog role, ha. I joined in 2004 and it was similar dynamic to now. 

Bettcher is expected to run a hybrid scheme. Base 4-3 with 3-4 looks.

20 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Bettcher is expected to run a hybrid scheme. Base 4-3 with 3-4 looks.

Everything I read said they are running a 3-4 hybrid. Pretty much every 3-4 can be called a hybrid with all the nickel teams run. I also read his last year in Arizona they ran the base 3-4 just under 30% of the time. 

Ogletree definitely has the speed to be really good in a nickle. I bet they pull Collins down in the box fairly often in the nickel and he becomes a 3rd linebacker like we do with Jenkins, with an extra DB coming in. 

9 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Everything I read said they are running a 3-4 hybrid. Pretty much every 3-4 can be called a hybrid with all the nickel teams run. I also read his last year in Arizona they ran the base 3-4 just under 30% of the time. 

Ogletree definitely has the speed to be really good in a nickle. I bet they pull Collins down in the box fairly often in the nickel and he becomes a 3rd linebacker like we do with Jenkins, with an extra DB coming in. 

Yeah. There has been off and on talk about moving Landon to lb but he's fine at safety and is brought into  the the box often. 

Giants have been in desperate need for a playmaking linebacker for quite some time now. Ogletree fits a major need and is in his prime. 

Not sure if he will be inside or out. I'm guessing weakside and moving inside situationally.

4 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Yeah. There has been off and on talk about moving Landon to lb but he's fine at safety and is brought into  the the box often. 

Giants have been in desperate need for a playmaking linebacker for quite some time now. Ogletree fits a major need and is in his prime. 

Not sure if he will be inside or out. I'm guessing weakside and moving inside situationally.

In a 3-4 look I think something like Kennard-Ogletree-Goodson-Vernon at LB would be really stout. 

5 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

I definitely would leave Collins at safety. Especially after having seen how effective a versatile safety can be and the effect on defense one can have with Malcoln by moving him around in the nickle. Collins will make more plays as a safety then a full time linebacker and he is a playmaker by nature.

5 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

In a 3-4 look I think something like Kennard-Ogletree-Goodson-Vernon at LB would be really stout. 

I think kennard is a FA and will probably be gone unless willing to give a home team discount.

I have little faith the goodson can stay healthy. I was as giddy as one could get about his week 1 performance but by midseason, I grew weary of him constantly being picked up

22 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

I think kennard is a FA and will probably be gone unless willing to give a home team discount.

I have little faith the goodson can stay healthy. I was as giddy as one could get about his week 1 performance but by midseason, I grew weary of him constantly being picked up

I doubt anyone will be beating down Kennard’s door, but the Goodson concerns are legit. Unfortunately we have to take our chances and hope he stays healthy. That said, Gettleman believes guys that get injured continue to get injured, so maybe he’ll move on. 

Why do i feel like Ogletree and Odell have some kind of history.. maybe im thinking of someone else, but.... i dont feel like googling it. Do i have the right guy?

oh ya... this..

1 hour ago, Captain F said:

Why do i feel like Ogletree and Odell have some kind of history.. maybe im thinking of someone else, but.... i dont feel like googling it. Do i have the right guy?

oh ya... this..

Yep.

They'll get over it. Giants safety Andrew Adams is Ogletree's bro in law. He'll serve as a go-between

23 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

you forgot QB. The Giants don't have one.