VaBeach_Eagle

Richard Sherman lands in San Francisco

Richard Sherman lands in San Francisco

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/10/richard-sherman-lands-in-san-francisco/

Well, that didn’t take long.

One day after being released by the Seahawks, veteran cornerback Richard Sherman has agreed to terms with the 49ers, per multiple reports.

It’s a three-year deal; per NFL Media, it’s worth $39 million (we’ll wait to see what the official numbers say). Given that Sherman still hasn’t recovered from surgery on both Achilles tendons, the terms of the deal will be very interesting. Will he get a signing bonus before he can pass a physical? Will other payments hinge on his ability to play?

As one league source explained it to PFT, a surgically-repaired Achilles tendon almost always heals. The key questions are when the healing occurs, and whether the player will be as fast and effective after the tendon has healed.

The 49ers apparently were willing to assume the risk of slow healing or reduced effectiveness, all in the name of beefing up a defense with one of the key pieces of what almost was a Seattle dynasty.

The move comes at a time when Sherman was scheduled to visit the Lions, and when other teams were interested in talking to Sherman. It’s unclear whether the 49ers were willing to offer more than any other interested team, or whether Sherman simply pounced on the opportunity to tell Russell Wilson "you f–king suck!” not in a practice but during two games per year. Maybe three.

5 minutes ago, Eagles9193 said:

Why is he allowed to sign now? I thought FA starts 3/14 

He was released, so he wasn't under contract to any NFL team. Free Agents who are free, come 3/14, are still under contract until 3/14.

Sherman acted as his own agent, and negotiated the contract himself. It's heavily laden with incentives, but the money in subsequent years becomes guaranteed if he becomes all-Pro. He's heavily betting on himself.

Well... I know my SF fan friend won't be happy about this. He hates Sherman and I think he'll recognise that this is a guy who's coming to the end of his career.

Interesting that he's signed with such big rivals. I think that says a lot about him. I think this is a revenge thing. 

13 hours ago, BCEagle said:

Sherman acted as his own agent, and negotiated the contract himself. It's heavily laden with incentives, but the money in subsequent years becomes guaranteed if he becomes all-Pro. He's heavily betting on himself.

Year 1 looks fair for both sides (plus Sherman gets to stay on the west cost). It looks like a good start. He saves about $500,000 in agent fees in 2018 alone.

Does anyone have the details on Year 2?

Never liked Sherman’s personality as it relates to football and his ungratefulness to the sport that made him rich.  

But he is one smart guy. He’s not just a dumb jock that’s for sure. 

I've been really impressed with Sherman's intelligence and vision for where the league should be headed. He may make a good NFL owner someday. One of the things about a contract that is loaded with incentives -- it's more likely to lead to guaranteed contracts, something the NFLPA has talked about for years. If teams can pay a low base, and only pay more when players achieve certain objectives, teams will be more likely to agree to guaranteed contracts. Maybe Sherman will show how it can benefit both teams and players.

51 minutes ago, BCEagle said:

I've been really impressed with Sherman's intelligence and vision for where the league should be headed. He may make a good NFL owner someday. One of the things about a contract that is loaded with incentives -- it's more likely to lead to guaranteed contracts, something the NFLPA has talked about for years. If teams can pay a low base, and only pay more when players achieve certain objectives, teams will be more likely to agree to guaranteed contracts. Maybe Sherman will show how it can benefit both teams and players.

If every contract had a base salary and incentives for every performance metric added $ - a true meritocracy - that would be an interesting concept.   Evey rookie player starts at the same pay and their performance (along with incremental bonuses for years played) determines how high the payday goes.   The starting salaries would be much lower across the board, but guaranteed to protect the players from injury.   Owners wouldn't get saddled with overpaid stiffs and players would get paid their true worth.   Owners and fans would get players that try hard all the time.

But the players would never go for this in a million years.   They want millions guaranteed, right out of the gate.

1 hour ago, BCEagle said:

He’s an interesting guy. He’ll never have the money to own a team (that requires mega millions, Michael Jordan, Lebron James kind of money) but perhaps a front office guy. He’s def has the smarts to succeed, but does he have the temperament? 

30 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

He’s an interesting guy. He’ll never have the money to own a team (that requires mega millions, Michael Jordan, Lebron James kind of money) but perhaps a front office guy. He’s def has the smarts to succeed, but does he have the temperament? 

He seems like the kind of guy smart enough to know when a situation calls for him to stow it.

19 hours ago, BCEagle said:

There's an old saying that applies here, it's something like 'When you act as your own lawyer, you have a fool for a client.' Well, I think that applies when a player acts as his own agent, too. At least in most cases.

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

There's an old saying that applies here, it's something like 'When you act as your own lawyer, you have a fool for a client.' Well, I think that applies when a player acts as his own agent, too. At least in most cases.

Your probably right. I mean there are 32 teams in the nfl.  Who has time to keep in football shape and nagotiate the best possible deal and be successful at both.  Unless you know what team you want to play for and know they want you.  Then it might be a fairly easy negotiation. Which I think is what it was in Sherman’s case here. 

I wonder did his ego got the best of him though with all the incentives? 

6 hours ago, Mortimer said:

But the players would never go for this in a million years.   They want millions guaranteed, right out of the gate.

The majority of them shouldn't go for it. I personally like the incentive laden contracts. But, what happens when a team wants to rest players week 17, so they're fresh for the playoffs? 

18 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well... I know my SF fan friend won't be happy about this. He hates Sherman and I think he'll recognise that this is a guy who's coming to the end of his career.

Interesting that he's signed with such big rivals. I think that says a lot about him. I think this is a revenge thing. 

It is most likely a revenge thing, but didn't he go to Stanford? If that's the case it's kind of like coming home. Stanford is all of 10 minutes from the 49ers headquarters and stadium.

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

New reports are that the deal isn't quite what was originally reported.

- It's only a $3 million signing bonus (not $5 million). 

- No guaranteed money in years two or three.

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I only somewhat think so. Keep in mind he's also going home, he grew up in Compton. I figured if he ever got released he was going somewhere in California.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, Mortimer said:

If every contract had a base salary and incentives for every performance metric added $ - a true meritocracy - that would be an interesting concept.   Evey rookie player starts at the same pay and their performance (along with incremental bonuses for years played) determines how high the payday goes.   The starting salaries would be much lower across the board, but guaranteed to protect the players from injury.   Owners wouldn't get saddled with overpaid stiffs and players would get paid their true worth.   Owners and fans would get players that try hard all the time.

Forget the Players. It is the agents that will be out of business. They would fight against it to the last.

His emotions of anger and rage made him sign right away with a division rival.

His greed made him not use an agent.

He signed an awful deal that is way too team friendly.

Smart is not the word I would use to describe him.

Remember last off season idiots on local sports radio were debating if we should trade our 1st for Sherman?

Good times

On 3/12/2018 at 7:06 PM, skippyx said:

His emotions of anger and rage made him sign right away with a division rival.

His greed made him not use an agent.

He signed an awful deal that is way too team friendly.

Smart is not the word I would use to describe him.

He is way smarter than your average nfl player.  

He likely wanted to play in sf. And if that’s the case then he didn’t need an agent just a deal he thought was fair (which he obviously got) 

5 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

He is way smarter than your average nfl player.  

He likely wanted to play in sf. And if that’s the case then he didn’t need an agent just a deal he thought was fair (which he obviously got) 

He is the Master P of self appointed agents.

The worst agent so far this offseason is named Richard Sherman.

You can pretend to spin it any way you want but if he is not perfectly healthy and All-Pro, he cost himself huge money.

13 minutes ago, skippyx said:

He is the Master P of self appointed agents.

The worst agent so far this offseason is named Richard Sherman.

You can pretend to spin it any way you want but if he is not perfectly healthy and All-Pro, he cost himself huge money.

I’m not trying to spin anything.  I just know he isn’t dumb.  And I’m certainly not trying to act like I know what’s better for him than he does.