nottingham14

Kirk Cousins is the next Brees

Ive stated for years Cousins was a poor man's Drew Brees. He is smallish, with talent. Now he is outcast by the team who drafted him because he wasn't "a QB they could win with." And now he is signed in a dome with good WRs, both of which will help his average arm strength. I shake my head at how closely his career has really unfolded like Brees. Ill be curious to see if he finishes it out like Brees has in NO. 

1 minute ago, nottingham14 said:

Ive stated for years Cousins was a poor man's Drew Brees. He is smallish, with talent. Now he is outcast by the team who drafted him because he wasn't "a QB they could win with." And now he is signed in a dome with good WRs, both of which will help his average arm strength. I shake my head at how closely his career has really unfolded like Brees. Ill be curious to see if he finishes it out like Brees has in NO. 

ok

11 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

Ill be curious to see if he finishes it out like Brees has in NO. 

Yeah, I'm curious how well he does with the Vikings. Redskins fans tear him apart because he's "not a winner", but he's had garbage talent around him in Washington.  I can't believe the Redskins won 8 games later year with basically Cousins and a big pile of nothing next to him.  Terrible receivers, TE, RB, yet Cousins still threw for 4000+ yards. 

By the way, the Redskins organization really did everything they could to trash Cousins going out the door.  I hear that they told everybody at the combine that he was extremely overrated.  High class organization, there.  People are deserting the Redskins like rats leaving a sinking ship.  They've lost WR Ryan Grant, CB Bashaud Breeland, OLB Trent Murphy,  C Spencer Long, TE Niles Paul and of course, Cousins.  

12 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

This is a bit ridiculous.  Cousins is wildly average.  Doesn't have a big arm, can't make all the throws and is really limited to what he can do with his legs.

Will he get 10-12 wins next year, better than he did any year in Washington?  Given the weapons he has (an actual running game and legit receivers) backed by a solid defense, I'd say that's a good bet.  But they will be the ones making him look good, not the other way around a guy like Brees, Rodgers, or Roethlisberger can.

1 hour ago, paco said:

This is a bit ridiculous.  Cousins is wildly average.  Doesn't have a big arm, can't make all the throws and is really limited to what he can do with his legs.

Will he get 10-12 wins next year, better than he did any year in Washington?  Given the weapons he has (an actual running game and legit receivers) backed by a solid defense, I'd say that's a good bet.  But they will be the ones making him look good, not the other way around a guy like Brees, Rodgers, or Roethlisberger can.

Vikings actually had a horrible run game. They still ran the ball alot but, it was not for much. 

Dalvin Cook alone is an upgrade.

16 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

You'll be dissappointed. Cousins is not brees 

Other the Bradford, I dont think there has been another QB more overrated and overpaid then Cousins.

Brees at least had moments in San Diego where you could see that he was special - that has never happened with Cousins.

4 hours ago, paco said:

Cousins played well with below average weapons around him. Still put up decent numbers and kept them respectable. 

1 hour ago, bobbywizdum said:

You'll be dissappointed. Cousins is not brees 

Sounds an awful lot like what people said about Brees when he left SD. 3,500 yards, 24 TDs and 15 INTs. Those are Brees numbers the year prior to leaving SD. 

Brees 5 years with SD-59 games played=

80 TDs, 53 INTS and 12, 348 yards.

Cousins 6 years in Wash-62 games played=

99 TDs, 55 INTs and 16,206 yards

You were saying?

2 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

Sounds an awful lot like what people said about Brees when he left SD. 3,500 yards, 24 TDs and 15 INTs. Those are Brees numbers the year prior to leaving SD. 

Brees 5 years with SD-59 games played=

80 TDs, 53 INTS and 12, 348 yards.

Cousins 6 years in Wash-62 games played=

99 TDs, 55 INTs and 16,206 yards

You were saying?

Cousins cant make all the throws, chokes when his team is behind, and his record against above 500 teams is atrocious. 

How was cousins surrounded by no talent? Jackson, garcon, crowder, reed, and davis?

5 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

Cousins cant make all the throws, chokes when his team is behind, and his record against above 500 teams is atrocious. 

How was cousins surrounded by no talent? Jackson, garcon, crowder, reed, and davis?

Anyone can make ALL THE THROWS. That's nonsense ESPN rhetoric. Its all a matter of timing. Brees arm is just as weak, and he had made a name for himself in NFL history books. Matt Hasselback could barely throw 50 yards and he played well in the NFL and went to a SB. Peyton Manning had one of the weakest arms ive seen and he is a top 10 QB all time. 

Its called accuracy, which needs touch, timing and anticipation. It also requires guys to be able to get open. He had that 2 years ago and flourished, but when everyone was licking their lips to prove he would fall off after Jackson and Garcon left, he gave led the team to a respectable record with good stats and gave the haters a big can of STFU. Even Bomani Jones, a notorious Cousins hater, gave him his due for what he did last year. 

28 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

Cousins played well with below average weapons around him. Still put up decent numbers and kept them respectable. 

And even with Desean and Garcon to throw to he still couldnt get double digit wins.  Hell, he didn't beat a team with a winning record the year they went 9-7 and "won" the division.

Hes average.  He knows he's average.  He even told Gruden there are routes he won't throw because he's likely to get picked off (that's why his INT rate dropped dramatically)

Just now, paco said:

And even with Desean and Garcon to throw to he still couldnt get double digit wins.  Hell, he didn't beat a team with a winning record the year they went 9-7 and "won" the division.

Hes average.  He knows he's average.  He even told Gruden there are routes he won't throw because he's likely to get picked off (that's why his INT rate dropped dramatically)

So his INT rate dropped because he wont throw certain routes? :roll: 

You crack me up. You act like he has the arm strength of a 5 year old. Like I said before, he had the same arm strength as many guys who have succeeded. He is at very least a poor man's Drew Brees. Which makes him well worth the money he is paid, considering how good Brees is. Now he is going to a dome, where half his games will be played without wind conditions. That is exactly what Brees did, like I pointed out earlier. He will also play in a dome in DET too. That's 9 guaranteed dome games a season. 

Diggs and Thelien are looking like stellar WRs. I think Diggs is a real star if given the chance, but AT is also pretty talented and out shined Diggs last season. That's a good group to have, with Cook in the backfield who can catch too, if healthy. The team he chose shows how smart the guy is TBH. Of the teams out there after him, he chose the best possible spot for him. 

BTW you know who also was said to have a weak arm coming out of college? Nick Foles did too. But did it stop him from leading the NFL in completions over 40 yards in one season? NO! Did his weak arm stop him from dropping a dime to Alshon in the SB? NO! 

Quit listening to the ESPN Stephen A Smith rhetoric and pay attention. Yeah, its nice to have a guy who can throw a laser to any guy on the field from anywhere. But does it do Stafford any good? What about Cutler? Id take Cousins over both of them all day, every day. 

6 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yeah, I'm curious how well he does with the Vikings. Redskins fans tear him apart because he's "not a winner", but he's had garbage talent around him in Washington.  I can't believe the Redskins won 8 games later year with basically Cousins and a big pile of nothing next to him.  Terrible receivers, TE, RB, yet Cousins still threw for 4000+ yards. 

By the way, the Redskins organization really did everything they could to trash Cousins going out the door.  I hear that they told everybody at the combine that he was extremely overrated.  High class organization, there.  People are deserting the Redskins like rats leaving a sinking ship.  They've lost WR Ryan Grant, CB Bashaud Breeland, OLB Trent Murphy,  C Spencer Long, TE Niles Paul and of course, Cousins.  

Yeah, nothing like trashing the best QB your team had in 20+ years as he leaves because you messed up evaluating his skills. I bet the whole ratfink org. thought they would be vindicated last year when they let all his talented WRs walk. I think they did it purposely to tank while giving Cousins a black eye and making Snyder/crew look good. But it blew up right in their faces, which Washington fans should be used to since Snyder bought the team. 

1 hour ago, nottingham14 said:

So his INT rate dropped because he wont throw certain routes? :roll: 

You crack me up. You act like he has the arm strength of a 5 year old. Like I said before, he had the same arm strength as many guys who have succeeded. He is at very least a poor man's Drew Brees. Which makes him well worth the money he is paid, considering how good Brees is. Now he is going to a dome, where half his games will be played without wind conditions. That is exactly what Brees did, like I pointed out earlier. He will also play in a dome in DET too. That's 9 guaranteed dome games a season. 

Diggs and Thelien are looking like stellar WRs. I think Diggs is a real star if given the chance, but AT is also pretty talented and out shined Diggs last season. That's a good group to have, with Cook in the backfield who can catch too, if healthy. The team he chose shows how smart the guy is TBH. Of the teams out there after him, he chose the best possible spot for him. 

You want me to dig up the video of him telling Gruden that he won't attempt those throws? Cuz I'll do that. 

Not that I need to because that has been talked about here extensively and you are just now catching up.

1 hour ago, nottingham14 said:

BTW you know who also was said to have a weak arm coming out of college? Nick Foles did too. But did it stop him from leading the NFL in completions over 40 yards in one season? NO! Did his weak arm stop him from dropping a dime to Alshon in the SB? NO! 

Quit listening to the ESPN Stephen A Smith rhetoric and pay attention. Yeah, its nice to have a guy who can throw a laser to any guy on the field from anywhere. But does it do Stafford any good? What about Cutler? Id take Cousins over both of them all day, every day. 

Ummm that wasnt on nicks scouting report at all lmao

10 minutes ago, paco said:

You want me to dig up the video of him telling Gruden that he won't attempt those throws? Cuz I'll do that. 

Not that I need to because that has been talked about here extensively and you are just now catching up.

All you have to do is watch cousins to see he cant make all the throws. This guy is nuts. 

11 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

Ummm that wasnt on nicks scouting report at all lmao

Yeah. The reports on Foles I remember said he had a pretty big arm but sometimes lacked accuracy on deep throws coming out of college. 

19 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

Well the situations do bear some similarities, but Brees certainly showed a lot of potential coming out of Purdue. He was pretty damn good and he may still be a record holder for some stats there. I think that's partly why the Chargers were so quick to give up on him because he didn't really show that big potential until the very end.

Cousins' potential coming of Mich St was not really known. Cousins has shown to be consistent though and the Skins must have been waiting for some miraculous season to happen apparently. I think we've seen Cousins hit his ceiling and he's not really going to make the Vikings that much better, but he gives them stability and reliability.

I heard someone on the one of the XM radio stations mention this and it made a lot of sense to me: Cousins' raises their floor quite a bit but doesn't by himself raise the ceiling of the Vikings.  Keenum played every bit as well as Cousins last year.  Now obviously the big difference is that Cousins has consistently played at that level his whole career, but regardless will Cousins outperform 2017 Keenum, who wasn't enough himself to get them over the hump? Maybe, but I'm not totally convinced.

Cook and some of the other additions they may make on the other hand, that might make the difference.

2 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

I heard someone on the one of the XM radio stations mention this and it made a lot of sense to me: Cousins' raises their floor quite a bit but doesn't by himself raise the ceiling of the Vikings.  Keenum played every bit as well as Cousins last year.  Now obviously the big difference is that Cousins has consistently played at that level his whole career, but regardless will Cousins outperform 2017 Keenum, who wasn't enough himself to get them over the hump? Maybe, but I'm not totally convinced.

Cook and some of the other additions they may make on the other hand, that might make the difference.

I guess we will see. No one expected Brees to become what he became. Anyone who saw him in SD and says they expected him to be a historic QB is a liar. Who knows with Cousins, but it is interesting the similarities and adding in a dome+big time WR talent I could see him taking that Brees step. I aint saying he will, but I think its possible. 

4 hours ago, paco said:

You can dig up all you want, there are routes a lot of QBs don't throw often. If you think Cousins is somehow on the bottom rung of arm strength you are kidding yourself. 

You got to consider with scouts, these are the same people who tried to say Byron Leftwich had a weak arm, and Culpepper had a cannon. Not to mention several scouts thought Johnny Manziels are was "above average." Which was laughable. 

4 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

All you have to do is watch cousins to see he cant make all the throws. This guy is nuts. 

Funny, his throwing velocity was 2 mph higher than Nicks. :whistle: