nottingham14

Kirk Cousins is the next Brees

On 3/15/2018 at 12:31 AM, nottingham14 said:

Ive stated for years Cousins was a poor man's Drew Brees. 

The "rich man's Drew Brees" (aka Drew Brees) will knock the "poor man's Drew Brees" out of the play-offs.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:31 PM, nottingham14 said:

Ive stated for years Cousins was a poor man's Drew Brees. 

Cousins is gonna get taken out behind the wood shed this weekend.  You have 6 days to get your excuses ready.

The weird irony here is I don’t believe for a second Cousins is near as good as Brees, but for one week, I want him to be. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The weird irony here is I don’t believe for a second Cousins is near as good as Brees, but for one week, I want him to be. 

Mind you doesn't that put us in line to potentially face Coupons?

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Mind you doesn't that put us in line to potentially face Coupons?

We can’t face them til the NFCCG. 

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

God imagine if we did though! And imagine if Coupons bested us again. 

We can’t live in a world where Kirk Cousins is playing in a Super Bowl. 

16 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

We can’t live in a world where Kirk Cousins is playing in a Super Bowl. 

Absolutely! That would be a terrible situation in my opinion. 

18 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

The "rich man's Drew Brees" (aka Drew Brees) will knock the "poor man's Drew Brees" out of the play-offs.

Cousins is more like a destitute man’s Drew Brees. 

3 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Well.... Damn.....

I was wrong today, he’s been wrong every other day

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

It’s not night time 

1 minute ago, lorddevn said:

It’s not night time 

I’ll make an exception for this 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So he played less than mediocre and his D and RB won the game and you still think he’s on drew brees’ level. That’s cute

10 minutes ago, lorddevn said:

So he played less than mediocre and his D and RB won the game and you still think he’s on drew brees’ level. That’s cute

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 They just beat Brees and the threw the game winner. 

Diggs looking at him like uhh dude we won in spite of you not because of you. 

On 12/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, paco said:

I’m purposely waiting until the end of the regular season to post in this thread. He’s been exactly what we said he has been, but wanted to see if Nottingham would come back during this stretch which, predictably, no, he hasn’t 

but yes, that MNF performance last night was laughable 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:34 PM, nottingham14 said:

Unsurprisingly, this was his first unprovoked post since he went dark while Cousins looked extremely pedestrian to close out the season.  Despite being on the board in other threads, for some reason he was a ghost here until now...  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I finally had a chance to watch the game last night.  I only saw highlights before then and I stayed away from the box score\play by play.  So going into it, my perception was that Cousin had an amazing game (between the highlights and the ghost crowing above).  While he did some things very well, and I'll address those first, it was overall a good game but nothing great from him.

First off, Cousins absolutely gets a ton of credit for the throws he made in OT to end the game.   The 40 yard bomb (+3 YAC) was beautiful.  He usually reserves those throws to someone wide open with no one on them or our excuse for a secondary.  Also, the TD throw to win the game.... perfect.  If you simply looked at the stat sheet\play by play log, its not going to pop off the screen.  But he made the perfect throw and Rudolph ran the perfect route.  

Second, much like the MNF game vs Seattle, Cousins was quiet until the end of 2nd quarter.  (In that game, he waited until 22 seconds left in the second to throw his first pass beyond 5 yards)  But at 1:58 and 1:17 he made two big throws (18+1 and 12+1) to get his team in field goal position and get 3 before the half.  All the focus has been on the two passes he made in OT, but these two were just as important.  If the Vikings don't get that field goal, we would be talking about yet another game on the big stage and he couldn't get it done. 

In the third, he made a great pass at 6:15.  3rd and 9, well outside of field goal range.  He converts and it leads to a TD.  Another big play that should get more attention.  On the same drive he made another good throw at 4:47.  I debated including it in the list of everything he did really well since it was in double coverage (with two more saints very close by) and Williams made an even better catch.  But it was a big conversion putting them at the 1 especially considering up until this point it was 95% Dalvin Cook and it was a 3rd and 1.

At the end of the day, no INTs and no fumbles lost.  

Finally, he got the win in the Superdome in the playoffs.  Not easy to do.

Given that, he had a good game overall.  But Dalvin Cook had a GREAT game and the Defense neutralized Drew Brees for 3 quarters.  Outside of Cousins finish in OT, which he deserves a TON of credit for, those were the two stars for most of the game.  So we might want to pump the breaks a little bit.  Especially if anyone thinks this is validation to this topic. 

Outside of the plays I outlined above, and again he gets credit for every single one (6), the rest of his game was pedestrian.  The box score has him at 19/31 for 242 1 TD and 0 Int.  Lets ignore what that amounts to in fantasy (which is, not good and a loss in DFS) for a sec and lets look each of the 19 passes he completed:

Time Quarter Pass YAC
14:18 1st -2 5
8:03 1st -2 12
6:42 1st 5 0
4:47 1st 4 5
1:23 1st 2 7
8:27 2nd 1 12
5:40 2nd 8 0
4:25 2nd -5 24
1:58 2nd 18 1
1:17 2nd 12 1
9:35 3rd 4 7
6:15 3rd 28 6
5:50 3rd 3 5
4:47 3rd 9 0
3:33 4th 10 -1
14:25 OT 4 2
13:45 OT 7 3
12:42 OT 40 3
10:40 OT 4 0

Much like MNF vs Seattle, he didn't complete a pass beyond 5 yards until well into the second quarter.  (I'll have to go back, but I think he didn't even attempt one past 5 until 22 seconds, but I'm not 100% sure on that).  Only 3 went between 6-10 yards.  However he did take more shots down field than usual, racking up 5 completions beyond 5 yards, so again, he gets credit for going outside his comfort zone.

Another ding on his night... late in the 3rd quarter it looked like the meltdown was beginning. With 59 seconds to go, Reiff committed a false start.   One of the saints linemen (I want to say Jordan, but I honestly don't remember now) jumped because of it, forcing a fumble and a saints recovery, which was obviously called back.  I wouldn't have brought this up since you can't blame Cousins for his fumble in that situation, but what did he do on the very next play?  Made an AWFUL pass that was nearly picked off.  If I was a vikings fan and had a QB that's a known choker, that would have been concerning (at the very least).

Finally, Cousins took a late sack with 2:51 left.  Now, it was 3 & 19 and in their territory, so chances are they would have not converted and punted anyway so I wouldn't have brought it up, except for one thing....  New Orleans only brought 3, the Vikings had 5 Oline and 1 TE blocking (literally 2 men on each of the saints 1 during the play) and Cousins ran RIGHT into the sack.  He made a panic move and ran right into the arms of Cameron Jordan.   

So overall, he had a good game.  He finished when he needed to, managed the game well by not turning it over, and leaned on his play makers.  But it was far from perfect and there were some things he needs to tighten up before they face San Fran.   Some of those mistakes in the 3rd and 4th might kill an otherwise tight game against the 49ers

I don’t think Cousins will be the next Brees, but he has always been a pretty good QB. He just played on some really bad teams until the Vikings.

You're right around where most of us are.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy the fun as the OP clings to any shred of evidence that his topic isn't ridiculous.  :lol: