nottingham14

Kirk Cousins is the next Brees

On 1/6/2020 at 8:00 PM, nottingham14 said:

Its like watching 2010 McNabb crow "Some people make mistakes...".  Dude.  You were 8-19 for 125 1 TD 1 Int.

Cousins got it done in OT.  But Cook and his D carried him to OT while he was 16/27 for 179 and 0 TDs up to that point.  :rolleyes: 

On 1/8/2020 at 11:00 AM, paco said:

Unsurprisingly, this was his first unprovoked post since he went dark while Cousins looked extremely pedestrian to close out the season.  Despite being on the board in other threads, for some reason he was a ghost here until now...  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I finally had a chance to watch the game last night.  I only saw highlights before then and I stayed away from the box score\play by play.  So going into it, my perception was that Cousin had an amazing game (between the highlights and the ghost crowing above).  While he did some things very well, and I'll address those first, it was overall a good game but nothing great from him.

First off, Cousins absolutely gets a ton of credit for the throws he made in OT to end the game.   The 40 yard bomb (+3 YAC) was beautiful.  He usually reserves those throws to someone wide open with no one on them or our excuse for a secondary.  Also, the TD throw to win the game.... perfect.  If you simply looked at the stat sheet\play by play log, its not going to pop off the screen.  But he made the perfect throw and Rudolph ran the perfect route.  

Second, much like the MNF game vs Seattle, Cousins was quiet until the end of 2nd quarter.  (In that game, he waited until 22 seconds left in the second to throw his first pass beyond 5 yards)  But at 1:58 and 1:17 he made two big throws (18+1 and 12+1) to get his team in field goal position and get 3 before the half.  All the focus has been on the two passes he made in OT, but these two were just as important.  If the Vikings don't get that field goal, we would be talking about yet another game on the big stage and he couldn't get it done. 

In the third, he made a great pass at 6:15.  3rd and 9, well outside of field goal range.  He converts and it leads to a TD.  Another big play that should get more attention.  On the same drive he made another good throw at 4:47.  I debated including it in the list of everything he did really well since it was in double coverage (with two more saints very close by) and Williams made an even better catch.  But it was a big conversion putting them at the 1 especially considering up until this point it was 95% Dalvin Cook and it was a 3rd and 1.

At the end of the day, no INTs and no fumbles lost.  

Finally, he got the win in the Superdome in the playoffs.  Not easy to do.

Given that, he had a good game overall.  But Dalvin Cook had a GREAT game and the Defense neutralized Drew Brees for 3 quarters.  Outside of Cousins finish in OT, which he deserves a TON of credit for, those were the two stars for most of the game.  So we might want to pump the breaks a little bit.  Especially if anyone thinks this is validation to this topic. 

Outside of the plays I outlined above, and again he gets credit for every single one (6), the rest of his game was pedestrian.  The box score has him at 19/31 for 242 1 TD and 0 Int.  Lets ignore what that amounts to in fantasy (which is, not good and a loss in DFS) for a sec and lets look each of the 19 passes he completed:

Time Quarter Pass YAC
14:18 1st -2 5
8:03 1st -2 12
6:42 1st 5 0
4:47 1st 4 5
1:23 1st 2 7
8:27 2nd 1 12
5:40 2nd 8 0
4:25 2nd -5 24
1:58 2nd 18 1
1:17 2nd 12 1
9:35 3rd 4 7
6:15 3rd 28 6
5:50 3rd 3 5
4:47 3rd 9 0
3:33 4th 10 -1
14:25 OT 4 2
13:45 OT 7 3
12:42 OT 40 3
10:40 OT 4 0

Much like MNF vs Seattle, he didn't complete a pass beyond 5 yards until well into the second quarter.  (I'll have to go back, but I think he didn't even attempt one past 5 until 22 seconds, but I'm not 100% sure on that).  Only 3 went between 6-10 yards.  However he did take more shots down field than usual, racking up 5 completions beyond 5 yards, so again, he gets credit for going outside his comfort zone.

Another ding on his night... late in the 3rd quarter it looked like the meltdown was beginning. With 59 seconds to go, Reiff committed a false start.   One of the saints linemen (I want to say Jordan, but I honestly don't remember now) jumped because of it, forcing a fumble and a saints recovery, which was obviously called back.  I wouldn't have brought this up since you can't blame Cousins for his fumble in that situation, but what did he do on the very next play?  Made an AWFUL pass that was nearly picked off.  If I was a vikings fan and had a QB that's a known choker, that would have been concerning (at the very least).

Finally, Cousins took a late sack with 2:51 left.  Now, it was 3 & 19 and in their territory, so chances are they would have not converted and punted anyway so I wouldn't have brought it up, except for one thing....  New Orleans only brought 3, the Vikings had 5 Oline and 1 TE blocking (literally 2 men on each of the saints 1 during the play) and Cousins ran RIGHT into the sack.  He made a panic move and ran right into the arms of Cameron Jordan.   

So overall, he had a good game.  He finished when he needed to, managed the game well by not turning it over, and leaned on his play makers.  But it was far from perfect and there were some things he needs to tighten up before they face San Fran.   Some of those mistakes in the 3rd and 4th might kill an otherwise tight game against the 49ers

Extremely pedestrian? 🤣🤣🤣 He had over 100 rating 3rd from his last game and a 96 rating 2nd from last. He had a so-so game vs GB, but they have a good defense and his Oline was atrocious that game. I also commented on that game previously. The last week of the season he didn’t play that game. So according to you I was hiding from his "pedestrian performance” over the GB week, which I also commented on. 🙄

BTW no one gives a crap about your long winde breakdown of the game you self important baffoon. 

In summarization.....you are a complete idiot.

22 hours ago, paco said:

You're right around where most of us are.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy the fun as the OP clings to any shred of evidence that his topic isn't ridiculous.  :lol:   

Ummm your the guy who has been trashing him the entire thread, AND NOW you’re agreeing he’s always been good? 🙄🙄🙄 

He had an increased year and now you’re slowly back peddling.

9 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

Extremely pedestrian? 🤣🤣🤣 He had over 100 rating 3rd from his last game and a 96 rating 2nd from last. He had a so-so game vs GB, but they have a good defense and his Oline was atrocious that game. I also commented on that game previously. The last week of the season he didn’t play that game. So according to you I was hiding from his "pedestrian performance” over the GB week, which I also commented on. 🙄

BTW no one gives a crap about your long winde breakdown of the game you self important baffoon. 

In summarization.....you are a complete idiot.

Wow. He actually went over 100 once during a playoff push?  So Breezy

:roll:

16 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

Yeah! Who needs detailed analysis when you can manipulate statistics to suit your narrative!

36 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yeah! Who needs detailed analysis when you can manipulate statistics to suit your narrative!

I was just trying to help.  It's pretty obvious he doesn't actually watch him play. 

2 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

Ummm your the guy who has been trashing him the entire thread, AND NOW you’re agreeing he’s always been good? 🙄🙄🙄 

Nope.  Notice I said "Around".  BCEagle said he thinks he is pretty good.  I think he is average.  Same spot as my first post where I said he is "wildly average".  (As he was for all of Sundays game sans OT. Again, he deserves credit for actually coming up big for once, which he did in OT.  Quarters 1-4 though?  16/27 for 179 and 0 TDs. (84 YAC).  AT BEST that's average)  

But there is only one person here who said he is the next Drew Brees and is desperately looking for any validation of that :lol:   

Cousins is borderline garbage.

1 hour ago, nottingham14 said:

In some metrics, but that is due to the decrease in other metrics, like pass attempts for example.  They took away opportunities for him to fail.  The Vikings had the 4th most running plays of all teams in the NFL.  It's kind of like a guy hitting .320 in 200 at bats and saying he is better than a guy that hit .290 in 400 at bats.  The numbers always decrease the more opportunities you are afforded to fail.  This was the least passing attempts he has had as a full time starter.  And before you say he missed a game, he would have had 327 pass attempts if he played all 16.

image.png.9c8e164b36c20a7906eb8520a4dbcf7b.png

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

In some metrics, but that is due to the decrease in other metrics, like pass attempts for example.  They took away opportunities for him to fail.  The Vikings had the 4th most running plays of all teams in the NFL.  It's kind of like a guy hitting .320 in 200 at bats and saying he is better than a guy that hit .290 in 400 at bats.  The numbers always decrease the more opportunities you are afforded to fail.  This was the least passing attempts he has had as a full time starter.  And before you say he missed a game, he would have had 327 pass attempts if he played all 16.

Good point. In one of the last regular season games they were talking about how they were having him throw less and running the offense through Cook. Had a spiffy graphic and everything. 

Just like the time they took the ball out of Brees hands and ran the offense through Reggie Bush. 

Just now, paco said:

Good point. In one of the last regular season games they were talking about how they were having him throw less and running the offense through Cook. Had a spiffy graphic and everything. 

Just like the time they took the ball out of Brees hands and ran the offense through Reggie Bush. 

3-5 in games he had more than 30 attempts.

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

3-5 in games he had more than 30 attempts.

Wow.  And 6-1 when he was under 30 attempts.  

JUST like Brees!

1 minute ago, paco said:

Wow.  And 6-1 when he was under 30 attempts.  

JUST like Brees!

Brees is 6-2 when over 30 attempts.  I could run it for their career, but you and I already know the answer.

52 minutes ago, paco said:

Nope.  Notice I said "Around".  BCEagle said he thinks he is pretty good.  I think he is average.  Same spot as my first post where I said he is "wildly average".  (As he was for all of Sundays game sans OT. Again, he deserves credit for actually coming up big for once, which he did in OT.  Quarters 1-4 though?  16/27 for 179 and 0 TDs. (84 YAC).  AT BEST that's average)  

But there is only one person here who said he is the next Drew Brees and is desperately looking for any validation of that :lol:   

Around?!!!! 🤣🤣🤣 Constantly trashing a player is not AROUND being pretty good. 

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Detailed analysis by an idiot is not detailed analysis. If you don’t believe me call me the next time you have surgery. I’ll be happy to operate. 🙄

8 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

Around?!!!! 🤣🤣🤣 Constantly trashing a player is not AROUND being pretty good. 

Calling him average is a lot closer to calling him "pretty good" than "pretty good" is to calling him the next Drew Brees.  :lol: 

It's so weird.  You like, totally have a life and that's why you are not here and stuff when Cousins is Cousins.  And its not night time either when you totally have a job.  

um_retro-resize.jpg

Pretty shady analysis considering you cut off a game like an idiot. It’s either got to be 30 and above or 30 and below. He’s 4-5 in games 30 and over. Ignoring that he has a game at 29 also. 🙄 

Again you all are also comparing him to the finished product Brees too. Run the numbers at the same time as Brees in his second season with NO (7-8 over 30 passes) and you’ll see a similar trend, JUST LIKE I SAID.

Y’all can argue and twist all you want. Meanwhile Cousins had a career year and won a playoff game with an OT TD, which you guys swore he couldn’t do.

1 minute ago, nottingham14 said:

Pretty shady analysis considering you cut off a game like an idiot. It’s either got to be 30 and above or 30 and below. He’s 4-5 in games 30 and over. Ignoring that he has a game at 29 also. 🙄 

Again you all are also comparing him to the finished product Brees too. Run the numbers at the same time as Brees in his second season with NO (7-8 over 30 passes) and you’ll see a similar trend, JUST LIKE I SAID.

Y’all can argue and twist all you want. Meanwhile Cousins had a career year and won a playoff game with an OT TD, which you guys swore he couldn’t do.

Please tell me how it was a career year compared to his four 4,000 yard seasons.

He ranked 24th in attempts.  They had him do less to limit his mistakes.

Not sure why he keeps pointing to Brees's second season.  Dude threw for 4423 yards.  Cousins only played 15 games, so if you averaged him up to a full 16 games, he threw for 3843.2 yards.  That's a 579.8 yard difference.

And if you continue on his "career trajectory" narrative, how about the fact that in year 2 they took the ball out of Cousins hands.  He went from 606 attempts to  473.6 (Adjusted for 16 games) attempts. That's 132.4 less throws.  

Brees?  In year 2 they put the ball in his hands.  Went from 554 attempts to 652.  98 more on the season. 

3 minutes ago, paco said:

Not sure why he keeps pointing to Brees's second season.  Dude threw for 4423 yards.  Cousins only played 15 games, so if you averaged him up to a full 16 games, he threw for 3843.2 yards.  That's a 579.8 yard difference.

A number Cousins has only surpassed once.

44 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

Pretty shady analysis considering you cut off a game like an idiot. It’s either got to be 30 and above or 30 and below. 

So you count games with exactly 30 twice?  :roll: 

I guess that's one way to overcompensate for cutting off a game "like an idiot"  :rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, paco said:

So you count games with exactly 30 twice?  :roll: 

I guess that's one way to overcompensate for cutting off a game "like an idiot"  :rolleyes: 

Are you completely stupid? 🤦🏻‍♂️ That is what the OR is for in the sentence. Meaning you had to count the 30 genius. So you put it with above OR below, but you count it moron. Jesus it’s like explaining 💩to a child talking to you. And you want to break down games. 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, paco said:

And if you continue on his "career trajectory" narrative, how about the fact that in year 2 they took the ball out of Cousins hands.  He went from 606 attempts to  473.6 (Adjusted for 16 games) attempts. That's 132.4 less throws.  

Brees?  In year 2 they put the ball in his hands.  Went from 554 attempts to 652.  98 more on the season. 

🙄 If you are winning you tend to rush more, where losing teams will spike pass attempts. Especially on a team dedicated to rushing and defense. The Saints with Brees were more dedicated to the pass, especially check downs to Bush and also lost 4 more games than MINN. So of course he passed more. 

Stats can tell a clear story if you aren’t too dumb to understand it. 

2 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

🙄 If you are winning you tend to rush more, where losing teams will spike pass attempts. Especially on a team dedicated to rushing and defense. The Saints with Brees were more dedicated to the pass, especially check downs to Bush and also lost 4 more games than MINN. So of course he passed more. 

Stats can tell a clear story if you aren’t too dumb to understand it. 

The point is anytime he hast to throw a bunch to win he can’t