nottingham14

Kirk Cousins is the next Brees

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

Funny, his throwing velocity was 2 mph higher than Nicks. :whistle:

Im not talking about "velocity". Im talking about deep outs, fly routes,etc. Most of cousins throws are short to intermediate throws over the middle. He struggled getting the ball down field to djax missing him often. Pryor had a 1000+ yards a year earlier in cleveland. How did he do last year with cousins? Howd their other hyped up outside receiver do? Why? Cousins struggles throwing outside the hashmarks. How did cousins do in washington's "big games"? In the playoffs he fell apart. In 2016 he pooped the bed against a giants team playing for nothing with their season on the line and this year fell apart again when they were in the playoff hunt. Hes not a winner !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

BTW you know who also was said to have a weak arm coming out of college? Nick Foles did too. But did it stop him from leading the NFL in completions over 40 yards in one season? NO! Did his weak arm stop him from dropping a dime to Alshon in the SB? NO! 

Quit listening to the ESPN Stephen A Smith rhetoric and pay attention. Yeah, its nice to have a guy who can throw a laser to any guy on the field from anywhere. But does it do Stafford any good? What about Cutler? Id take Cousins over both of them all day, every day. 

NFL history is littered with big arm quarterbacks that never won anything.  Jeff George, Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford, Michael Vick, and Cam Newton just to name a few that I didn't even have to think all that long about.  Big arms tend to be less accurate, and big heads tend to go along with those big arms.  I'll take the guy that can make the on-time, accurate throw to the right guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

I guess we will see. No one expected Brees to become what he became. Anyone who saw him in SD and says they expected him to be a historic QB is a liar. Who knows with Cousins, but it is interesting the similarities and adding in a dome+big time WR talent I could see him taking that Brees step. I aint saying he will, but I think its possible. 

Complete BS. The first couple of years there Brees was terrible. Then San Diego drafted Rivers and all of the sudden Brees finally righted the ship. Brees tore his throwing shoulder and nobody knew if he was going to continue to be good or not, but even San Diego offered him a contract even though they had a ton of money tied to Rivers. Brees decided to bet on himself and left for FA even with the concerns on his shoulder.

Anyone that saw Brees knew that he would be a really good QB and a lot of teams looked at him, it was just the shoulder problem that made teams hesitant to sign him.

There was always signs of greatness when you watched Brees play. Cousins on the other hand is just Cousins. He reminds me of less successful Jake Delhomme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pallidrone said:

Complete BS. The first couple of years there Brees was terrible. Then San Diego drafted Rivers and all of the sudden Brees finally righted the ship. Brees tore his throwing shoulder and nobody knew if he was going to continue to be good or not, but even San Diego offered him a contract even though they had a ton of money tied to Rivers. Brees decided to bet on himself and left for FA even with the concerns on his shoulder.

Anyone that saw Brees knew that he would be a really good QB and a lot of teams looked at him, it was just the shoulder problem that made teams hesitant to sign him.

There was always signs of greatness when you watched Brees play. Cousins on the other hand is just Cousins. He reminds me of less successful Jake Delhomme.

Exactly Brees actually tore his shoulder in the pro bowl lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousins the next Brees? Umm I think not. He's nowhere near as talented. But he does make a very good Vikings team stronger than they were last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Cousins the next Brees? Umm I think not. He's nowhere near as talented. But he does make a very good Vikings team stronger than they were last year. 

Ehh - I think they are basically the same exact team as last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

Ehh - I think they are basically the same exact team as last year.

I think they are a little better. I'm no Cousins fan but it's hard to argue he's not an upgrade over Keenum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

Complete BS. The first couple of years there Brees was terrible. Then San Diego drafted Rivers and all of the sudden Brees finally righted the ship. Brees tore his throwing shoulder and nobody knew if he was going to continue to be good or not, but even San Diego offered him a contract even though they had a ton of money tied to Rivers. Brees decided to bet on himself and left for FA even with the concerns on his shoulder.

Anyone that saw Brees knew that he would be a really good QB and a lot of teams looked at him, it was just the shoulder problem that made teams hesitant to sign him.

There was always signs of greatness when you watched Brees play. Cousins on the other hand is just Cousins. He reminds me of less successful Jake Delhomme.

That's an absolute hindsight 20/20 lie. Brees played well in SD, but not at the historic level he did in NO. He went from not breaking 4k to breaking 5k consistently, to a level that has NEVER been done. If you claim to expected that from Brees you are a damned liar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

Im not talking about "velocity". Im talking about deep outs, fly routes,etc. Most of cousins throws are short to intermediate throws over the middle. He struggled getting the ball down field to djax missing him often. Pryor had a 1000+ yards a year earlier in cleveland. How did he do last year with cousins? Howd their other hyped up outside receiver do? Why? Cousins struggles throwing outside the hashmarks. How did cousins do in washington's "big games"? In the playoffs he fell apart. In 2016 he pooped the bed against a giants team playing for nothing with their season on the line and this year fell apart again when they were in the playoff hunt. Hes not a winner !

What do you think VELOCITY does genius? Now you would like me to believe Nolan Ryan didn't have a big arm? :roll: I don't think Cousin has a huge arm, but its not bad as you make it out to be. I was actually surprised myself when I saw his velocity was so high. But the fact is the guy tied for second in ball velocity at the combine over an 8 year period. The guys along that list all have pretty good arms. But again I tell you, all QBs can make any throws if the timing and accuracy are right. Again I tell you that's ESPN jargon about "making all the throws." Jamarcus Russell could "make all the throws," with all the good it did him when they were to the other team. Brees, who has a weak arm and Manning who had an historically weak arm, both broke records at a break neck pace in the NFL. SO your whole Cousins are strength thing is a pointless argument. The guy has proven throughout his time in WASH that he can play at a high level in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Cousins the next Brees? Umm I think not. He's nowhere near as talented. But he does make a very good Vikings team stronger than they were last year. 

Then explain how Cousins first 62 games in WASH out played Brees first 59 games in SD. He had McCardell, Gates and Boston in SD with him. Not the best duo ever, but not the worst either. He also had LT to hand off to and to throw to. SO its not like he didn't have talent around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

Complete BS. The first couple of years there Brees was terrible. Then San Diego drafted Rivers and all of the sudden Brees finally righted the ship. Brees tore his throwing shoulder and nobody knew if he was going to continue to be good or not, but even San Diego offered him a contract even though they had a ton of money tied to Rivers. Brees decided to bet on himself and left for FA even with the concerns on his shoulder.

Anyone that saw Brees knew that he would be a really good QB and a lot of teams looked at him, it was just the shoulder problem that made teams hesitant to sign him.

There was always signs of greatness when you watched Brees play. Cousins on the other hand is just Cousins. He reminds me of less successful Jake Delhomme.

Brees injured his shoulder on the way out the door, but he still had been considered "not a quality starter" for a couple years. SD had already been talking about replacing him even before the injury, hence the Rivers drafting, just like WASH discussed Cousins not being good enough for years. You say Brees made the pro bowl like that is some revelation, but Cousins did too. A lot of good it did him with WASH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nottingham14 said:

Brees injured his shoulder on the way out the door, but he still had been considered "not a quality starter" for a couple years. SD had already been talking about replacing him even before the injury, just like WASH discussed Cousins not being good enough for years. You say Brees made the pro bowl like that is some revelation, but Cousins did too. A lot of good it did him with WASH. 

Where did I say anything about Brees making the Pro Bowl as an argument?

Everyone knew Brees was good buthis shoulder was the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pallidrone said:

Where did I say anything about Brees making the Pro Bowl as an argument?

Everyone knew Brees was good buthis shoulder was the problem.

Good, but not great. Just like Cousins is "good." I guess we will see how he plays in MINN. I think a lot of haters will get a nice surprise from him in MINN for the reasons I stated, but who knows. I sure wouldn't bet against a guy who is moving to a better team with much more talent around him. Plus adding in 9 dome games a year, instead of the elements of DC, I wouldn't doubt that could impact his play for the better too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

Im not talking about "velocity". Im talking about deep outs, fly routes,etc. Most of cousins throws are short to intermediate throws over the middle. He struggled getting the ball down field to djax missing him often. Pryor had a 1000+ yards a year earlier in cleveland. How did he do last year with cousins? Howd their other hyped up outside receiver do? Why? Cousins struggles throwing outside the hashmarks. How did cousins do in washington's "big games"? In the playoffs he fell apart. In 2016 he pooped the bed against a giants team playing for nothing with their season on the line and this year fell apart again when they were in the playoff hunt. Hes not a winner !

Its funny Mr Wizdumb, this video is about 70% him throwing down the sideline. 

Deep out at 1:20. Beautiful deep out in the Giants game for a TD at around 3:25. Several fly routes littered throughout the video. But i guess they are fake news because he doesn't throw those routes. :rolleyes::roll: At one point he runs forward, throws to his right on a rope for about 30 yards to Vernon Davis for a TD down the right sideline. BUt funny, it would seem he doesn't have the arm strength to make the play I see on this video from last year. :rolleyes:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nottingham14 said:

What do you think VELOCITY does genius? Now you would like me to believe Nolan Ryan didn't have a big arm? :roll: I don't think Cousin has a huge arm, but its not bad as you make it out to be. I was actually surprised myself when I saw his velocity was so high. But the fact is the guy tied for second in ball velocity at the combine over an 8 year period. The guys along that list all have pretty good arms. But again I tell you, all QBs can make any throws if the timing and accuracy are right. Again I tell you that's ESPN jargon about "making all the throws." Jamarcus Russell could "make all the throws," with all the good it did him when they were to the other team. Brees, who has a weak arm and Manning who had an historically weak arm, both broke records at a break neck pace in the NFL. SO your whole Cousins are strength thing is a pointless argument. The guy has proven throughout his time in WASH that he can play at a high level in the NFL. 

Velocity rates to speed not distance. In other words if cousins throws harder and with more velocity on a 10 yard pass that isnt a measure of arm strength. Fact is he may be able to throw a 10 yard bullet but still not have the arm strength to throw a 30 yard deep out. They arent the same thing and no all qbs cant make "all throws". Youre telling me chad pennington and butt fumble can make all the throws? Ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

Its funny Mr Wizdumb, this video is about 70% him throwing down the sideline. 

Deep out at 1:20. Beautiful deep out in the Giants game for a TD at around 3:25. Several fly routes littered throughout the video. But i guess they are fake news because he doesn't throw those routes. :rolleyes::roll: At one point he runs forward, throws to his right on a rope for about 30 yards to Vernon Davis for a TD down the right sideline. BUt funny, it would seem he doesn't have the arm strength to make the play I see on this video from last year. :rolleyes:

 

 

 

FB_IMG_1521290088462.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

What do you think VELOCITY does genius? Now you would like me to believe Nolan Ryan didn't have a big arm? :roll: I don't think Cousin has a huge arm, but its not bad as you make it out to be. I was actually surprised myself when I saw his velocity was so high. But the fact is the guy tied for second in ball velocity at the combine over an 8 year period. The guys along that list all have pretty good arms. But again I tell you, all QBs can make any throws if the timing and accuracy are right. Again I tell you that's ESPN jargon about "making all the throws." Jamarcus Russell could "make all the throws," with all the good it did him when they were to the other team. Brees, who has a weak arm and Manning who had an historically weak arm, both broke records at a break neck pace in the NFL. SO your whole Cousins are strength thing is a pointless argument. The guy has proven throughout his time in WASH that he can play at a high level in the NFL

Yeah. Good at beating a Chip Kelly lead team with Mark Sanchez or Sam Bradford as Eagles QB (why Redskins made Playoffs, and losing, in 2015). It wasn't hard to beat a Chip Kelly and Sam Bradford lead team. Cousins was actually good enough to help Eagles get better. Cousins isn't as good as you think.

18 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

Then explain how Cousins first 62 games in WASH out played Brees first 59 games in SD. He had McCardell, Gates and Boston in SD with him. Not the best duo ever, but not the worst either. He also had LT to hand off to and to throw to. SO its not like he didn't have talent around him.

Cousins had D Jax and P. Garcon in 2016 and even that wasn't enough for Cousins top get his team to Playoffs (threw season-ending INT against Giants during 2 minute drill). Then last year, they went 7-9. Look at Saints game from last year: choked a 15 point lead against them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirk Cousins’ starting record: 19-21-1

Cousins’ record against teams with 9+ wins: 2-11

Teams with 8+ wins: 5-13

Doesn't sound like much of a winner to me :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize your just trying to be the first to say something so you can go back and say see I was right and ignore it if you’re wrong. However brees was a top QB Prospect coming out of college. Holding the most passing yards in big 10 history and up until this year (18 yrs total) holding the most TDS in big 10 history. Drew Brees while did not start out where he is today in SD, his ceiling was always higher than cousins and comparing them is just silly. The only thing in common they have is that they played in the big 10 and Kirk did not come anywhere close to touching his records

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lorddevn said:

I realize your just trying to be the first to say something so you can go back and say see I was right and ignore it if you’re wrong. However brees was a top QB Prospect coming out of college. Holding the most passing yards in big 10 history and up until this year (18 yrs total) holding the most TDS in big 10 history. Drew Brees while did not start out where he is today in SD, his ceiling was always higher than cousins and comparing them is just silly. The only thing in common they have is that they played in the big 10 and Kirk did not come anywhere close to touching his records

:roll: Yes, he was such a gifted QB with such high potential he was drafted with the first pick.....in round 2. You know, where all the top QBs a on the board are taken. :facepalm: And BB knew Tom Brady was so good he just let him drop to near the end of the draft to get other players ahead of him. :roll: These all sound plausible. BUt go ahead and tell me how great he was thought to be and how being one of the top 40 players in the draft means he had such potential, all the while knowing there is a huge difference between expectations of a top 5 QB and a second round QB. And, like I told the other guy earlier, if you even try to deny that is true you are a damned liar. 

Actually I was not trying to make a prediction, when I have not actually made one. I thought it was an interesting coincidence between the two guys, who I have always compared to each other anyways. I don't know that Cousins will succeed, I just wouldn't bet against it for the reasons I have stated multiple times. I think Diggs and Thelien are very good WRs, and any QB matched with them should see a drastic improvement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, bobbywizdum said:

Velocity rates to speed not distance. In other words if cousins throws harder and with more velocity on a 10 yard pass that isnt a measure of arm strength. Fact is he may be able to throw a 10 yard bullet but still not have the arm strength to throw a 30 yard deep out. They arent the same thing and no all qbs cant make "all throws". Youre telling me chad pennington and butt fumble can make all the throws? Ha

A 30 yard out? :roll::roll::roll: Ok, now you have just blew your entire argument to hell. I forgot so many teams rely on the 30 yard out, and if only Washington had a QB who could throw that they would've been contenders. I find it hilarious you pick that yardage, as I just posted a video of him throwing multiple deep outs, including one at around 20 yards vs the Giants for a TD. Ok so he threw a 20 yard out, but can he do 30 yards?!!!!! :roll: Here you go Mr Wizdumb...

5aaf127c12d36_GraspingatStraws.jpg.60321100d357f55b3d97923b97864f84.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mihailo said:

Kirk Cousins’ starting record: 19-21-1

Cousins’ record against teams with 9+ wins: 2-11

Teams with 8+ wins: 5-13

Doesn't sound like much of a winner to me :facepalm:

How much winning has Washington done in the last 20 years? When your organization is managed very poorly, its not always the QB's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nottingham14 said:

How much winning has Washington done in the last 20 years? When your organization is managed very poorly, its not always the QB's fault.

 

Kirk-knee-redskins-eagles.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now