nottingham14

Kirk Cousins is the next Brees

Recommended Posts

I'm just glad 'Eagle Killer' Cousins is out of the NFCE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I'm just glad 'Eagle Killer' Cousins is out of the NFCE.

Cousins is 0-2 in his last two starts against the Eagles.  Alex Smith is 2-0.  I wish Cousins was still here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I'm just glad 'Eagle Killer' Cousins is out of the NFCE.

He sure was scary, with that 4-19 record vs teams that finished the season over 500.  :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paco said:

He sure was scary, with that 4-19 record vs teams that finished the season over 500.  :rolleyes: 

Yeah I'm very much in the camp that thinks it was better to keep Cousins in the NFC East. I mean sure Smith may not be an upgrade in a lot of people's eyes but he doesn't have that same terrible record against teams that finish the season over 500. I'm all about keeping the Redskins average and worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I'm not in love with the guy as far as QBs go, but his record vs the Eagles speaks for itself, and he CERTAINLY played well enough to with both of those games the Skins lost to the Eagles this season.  It's just that the Eagles were the better team overall this year.  As in we won the Super Bowl better team this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5-1 with Desean.  0-2 without

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gregg said:

Look, I'm not in love with the guy as far as QBs go, but his record vs the Eagles speaks for itself, and he CERTAINLY played well enough to with both of those games the Skins lost to the Eagles this season.  It's just that the Eagles were the better team overall this year.  As in we won the Super Bowl better team this year.  

He beat bad Eagles teams. Eagles teams that generally struggled. His record against good teams is atrocious to be quite honest and its actually embarrassing the contract he's been given. But hey that's the Vikings issue not ours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, Gregg said:

I'm just glad 'Eagle Killer' Cousins is out of the NFCE.

I got warned for that term when it was applied to another QB, who happened to play for a birds team down south, took some time off and then played for the Eagles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousins is no Brees... he's taller.  I think, I don't know really.  He's an overpaid qb and marginally better than Foles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 5:35 PM, paco said:

5-1 with Desean.  0-2 without

Not exactly. Rgiii started the second game against us in 2014. Cousins is now 4-3 against the eagles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nveagle5 said:

I got warned for that term when it was applied to another QB, who happened to play for a birds team down south, took some time off and then played for the Eagles.

I had to think about that one way to long lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, nveagle5 said:

I got warned for that term when it was applied to another QB, who happened to play for a birds team down south, took some time off and then played for the Eagles.

But vick didnt become an eagle killer until he played for us lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 9:31 PM, nottingham14 said:

Ive stated for years Cousins was a poor man's Drew Brees. He is smallish, with talent. Now he is outcast by the team who drafted him because he wasn't "a QB they could win with." And now he is signed in a dome with good WRs, both of which will help his average arm strength. I shake my head at how closely his career has really unfolded like Brees. Ill be curious to see if he finishes it out like Brees has in NO. 

Well, that didn’t go well for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to tell him :roll: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and I know I never responded to this because it was obvious you were plugging your ears and screaming "LALALALALA"

On 3/15/2018 at 6:25 PM, paco said:

Hes average.  He knows he's average.  He even told Gruden there are routes he won't throw because he's likely to get picked off (that's why his INT rate dropped dramatically)

On 3/15/2018 at 6:37 PM, nottingham14 said:

So his INT rate dropped because he wont throw certain routes? :roll: 

You crack me up. You act like he has the arm strength of a 5 year old. Like I said before, he had the same arm strength as many guys who have succeeded. He is at very least a poor man's Drew Brees. Which makes him well worth the money he is paid, considering how good Brees is. Now he is going to a dome, where half his games will be played without wind conditions. That is exactly what Brees did, like I pointed out earlier. He will also play in a dome in DET too. That's 9 guaranteed dome games a season. 

Diggs and Thelien are looking like stellar WRs. I think Diggs is a real star if given the chance, but AT is also pretty talented and out shined Diggs last season. That's a good group to have, with Cook in the backfield who can catch too, if healthy. The team he chose shows how smart the guy is TBH. Of the teams out there after him, he chose the best possible spot for him. 

On 3/15/2018 at 7:54 PM, paco said:

You want me to dig up the video of him telling Gruden that he won't attempt those throws? Cuz I'll do that. 

 

Not that I need to because that has been talked about here extensively and you are just now catching up.

 

On 3/16/2018 at 12:44 AM, nottingham14 said:

You can dig up all you want, there are routes a lot of QBs don't throw often. If you think Cousins is somehow on the bottom rung of arm strength you are kidding yourself. 

You got to consider with scouts, these are the same people who tried to say Byron Leftwich had a weak arm, and Culpepper had a cannon. Not to mention several scouts thought Johnny Manziels are was "above average." Which was laughable. 

Here is the exact quote I was thinking of

Quote

"If he does have a weakness, it’s that he’s too much of a perfectionist,” Gruden says. "He wants everything to be perfect. Unfortunately, I can’t get guys 30 f—ing yards open all the time. There are going to be some tight-window throws he’s going to have to throw some days. I’ll call some of these in practice, and if it doesn’t look exactly the way I drew it up, he’ll [say], ‘I don’t know if I like that. I can’t call it in a game.’ I’m like, ‘Bud, c’mon.'”

Cousins chuckled when told of Gruden’s comments. "If I played the way Jay is suggesting,” he says, "I’d throw 20 interceptions a year, and I wouldn’t last. I know my limitations.”

and

Quote

106.7 The Fan’s Craig Hoffman asked Gruden to clarify his position: "Kirk had a quote in a story that came out last week that if he played the way you wanted him to play, he’d throw 20 picks a year –”

"He’d also throw 60 touchdowns a year,” Gruden quipped.

"How much are you pushing him to push the ball down the field more, versus wanting him to be comfortable and confident in the throws he makes,” Hoffman asked. "And knowing there is a chance –”

"I always tell him, ultimately, he’s got the ball to make the decisions,” Gruden interjected. "We just call the plays and try to get him progression reads and man-to-man, take your shots with the matchups that you like.”

"But ultimately he’s the one that’s going to make the decisions of what he feels good about making throws,” he said. "I think there is going to be a point in time where he’s going to have to give some receivers some chances that maybe look a little covered, but give them a chance to uncover or give them a chance to make a play.”

"That’s probably the one area that we can force the issue on a little bit to give these receivers chances down the field,” he said. "Other than that, man, I think he’s playing great, and when the ball is complete, I never criticize. We just always talk about other options possible for the next time we call it. That’s all, but he is doing good.”

 

That's straight from the coach and QB.  But what do I know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 8:26 PM, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Well the situations do bear some similarities, but Brees certainly showed a lot of potential coming out of Purdue. He was pretty damn good and he may still be a record holder for some stats there. I think that's partly why the Chargers were so quick to give up on him because he didn't really show that big potential until the very end.

Cousins' potential coming of Mich St was not really known. Cousins has shown to be consistent though and the Skins must have been waiting for some miraculous season to happen apparently. I think we've seen Cousins hit his ceiling and he's not really going to make the Vikings that much better, but he gives them stability and reliability.

Look what this fool posted! 

lol but seriously, I thought AT LEAST Cousins would provide some semblance of reliability, but so much for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 12:31 AM, nottingham14 said:

Ive stated for years Cousins was a poor man's Drew Brees. He is smallish, with talent. Now he is outcast by the team who drafted him because he wasn't "a QB they could win with." And now he is signed in a dome with good WRs, both of which will help his average arm strength. I shake my head at how closely his career has really unfolded like Brees. Ill be curious to see if he finishes it out like Brees has in NO. 

Hmm, interesting theory . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@paco that stuff between Coupons and Gruden is really interesting bud so thanks for posting that up in here.

Coupons is what he is. Average. He'll throw for good numbers, he won't throw many INTs but he also won't make the throws that win you the big tight games against good teams. He did the same in Washington for years and he's done that in Minnesota this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousins' butt cheeks clinch up against good teams, because he is more concerned with not losing than he is with winning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

@paco that stuff between Coupons and Gruden is really interesting bud so thanks for posting that up in here.

Coupons is what he is. Average. He'll throw for good numbers, he won't throw many INTs but he also won't make the throws that win you the big tight games against good teams. He did the same in Washington for years and he's done that in Minnesota this year. 

Going into last Sunday, I was pretty confident Eagles would make Playoffs based off of Kirk Cousins' track record in games like these.  Foles is QB that can win games like we have seen. How many people/teams liked Cousins better than Foles on draft day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Going into last Sunday, I was pretty confident Eagles would make Playoffs based off of Kirk Cousins' track record in games like these.  Foles is QB that can win games like we have seen. How many people/teams liked Cousins better than Foles on draft day?

Exactly! Coupons has actually exceeded expectations based on his draft position! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly! Coupons has actually exceeded expectations based on his draft position! 

Funny thing is: had Vikings (8-7-1) traded for Foles, they likely make Playoffs instead of Eagles (9-7) without Foles bailing Eagles out again and Cousins messing things up (or maybe even winning NFC North). Teams that are close to them in record are Falcons, Redskins, and Panthers at 7-9. I guess apparently Pederson really saw something in Foles to convince Reid to draft him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Funny thing is: had Vikings (8-7-1) traded for Foles, they likely make Playoffs instead of Eagles (9-7) without Foles bailing Eagles out again and Cousins messing things up (or maybe even winning NFC North). Teams that are close to them in record are Falcons, Redskins, and Panthers at 7-9. I guess apparently Pederson really saw something in Foles to convince Reid to draft him.

Yeah I mean... I agree because I put Foles above Coupons and he's shown he can win the big games. I'd have put good money on Foles winning that game for Minnesota on Sunday night that's for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now