Sign in to follow this  
skippyx

Jets make their Franchise QB Trade

4 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

How do u on know? Browns could also trade 1 or 4...

I know it's the Browns but if they did that I'd feel sorry for the fanbase

If the Jets get their franchise QB, it's a win for the Jets. If they don't, it's a big win for the Colts. The Jets better be right.

13 hours ago, SBorBust said:

I'm not sure why you'd pay top dollar for TWO mediocre quarterbacks if your plan was to draft quarterback.

Top dollar? I do not think that terms means what you think it does.

Jets have yet to announce Teddy Bridgewater deal

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2018, 10:16 AM EDT
gettyimages-894269076-e1521382608230.jpg

There’s a chance Teddy and the Jets will never actually become a thing.

As MDS pointed out this morning during the morning PFT staff meeting (actually, we don’t have meetings; we just email and text whenever), the Jets have not yet announced the signing of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. They have, however, announced the signings of other unrestricted free agents: cornerback Trumaine Johnson, running back Isaiah Crowell, kicker Cairo Santos.

The official online roster also includes Johnson, Crowell, and Santos. But not Bridgewater.

We’ve commenced the process of getting to the bottom of this one (this post surely will get multiple others to do the same), and the Jets did not immediately respond to a text message seeking clarification.  For now, there’s reason to at least wonder whether something happened with Bridgewater’s physical — especially with the Jets trading up with the Colts from No. 6 in round one to No. 3 on Saturday.

Colts G.M. Chris Ballard in the immediate aftermath of the trade that the discussions with the Jets began on Monday or Tuesday. Perhaps Bridgewater’s deal became insurance against not making the trade. Now that the trade has been made, the Jets can have the same coincidental concerns about Bridgewater’s knee that, for example, the Ravens had about receiver Ryan Grant after Michael Crabtree finally became available.

Or maybe Bridgewater’s camp had caught wind of the trade efforts, opting thereafter to slow play the situation and ultimately to not sign a contract, now that the Jets have gotten themselves into even better position to take a high-profile rookie quarterback who would make Bridgewater’s presence on the roster potentially moot.

Whatever the case, there’s a reason for the team’s failure to announce the signing of Bridgewater or the placement of his name on the official roster. Soon, we’ll all likely know what it is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/18/jets-have-yet-to-announce-teddy-bridgewater-deal/

Source: Teddy Bridgewater has passed physical, will sign with Jets

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2018, 10:32 AM EDT
ap_17317097464497-e1510861792813.jpg?w=5
Getty Images

The Jets still haven’t announced the signing of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. But they will.

Shortly after we pointed out the absence of an official announcement on the signing, a league source told PFT that Bridgewater has passed his physical, and the Jets will announce that he has signed.

Bridgewater missed the entire 2016 season after suffering a serious knee injury in training camp, and he played only sparingly in one game in 2017. Whether he plays in 2018 remains to be seen, as he’s joining a very crowded quarterback room: The Jets have re-signed last year’s starter, Josh McCown, and they also have quarterbacks Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty and Joel Stave under contract. And, of course, Saturday’s trade with the Colts means the Jets are nearly certain to take a quarterback with the third overall pick in the draft.

So Bridgewater getting back onto the field in 2018 is no sure thing. But we’re told that he’s healthy enough to play, and he will be a Jet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/18/source-teddy-bridgewater-has-passed-physical-will-sign-with-jets/

Moving up to #3 means there’s multiple QBs the Jets think are worthy of the pick. If they get one of them the trade makes sense. 

As for the draft overall, the Giants are now in a power position. They could just take the best player available (Barkley), take a QB, or if the player they like most is gone, trade down and collect more picks. It’s a really tough decision and we won’t know which decision is the right one for a few years. Anyone that tries to make a snap judgement is a fool. 

4 hours ago, Havenless said:

Top dollar? I do not think that terms means what you think it does.

In my head I was saying backup QB top dollar. I was actually surprised to read it back and have it not include 'backup' anywhere.

A year ago, Foles $7 million was considered nearly ridiculous by many.

4 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Moving up to #3 means there’s multiple QBs the Jets think are worthy of the pick. If they get one of them the trade makes sense. 

As for the draft overall, the Giants are now in a power position. They could just take the best player available (Barkley), take a QB, or if the player they like most is gone, trade down and collect more picks. It’s a really tough decision and we won’t know which decision is the right one for a few years. Anyone that tries to make a snap judgement is a fool. 

You wouldn't be upset if they didn't go QB?

8 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

You wouldn't be upset if they didn't go QB?

Depends on how the entire draft plays out. If they grab Barkley and then the best available OL at the top of the second round I’d be ok with it. If they fleece another QB desperate team for a boatload of picks that would work too. If they take Mayfield, I’d be pissed. If they take Rosen, I’d be somewhat concerned (his attitude is questionable). If they take Allen or Darnold that would be fine. Lots of options and I don’t think there’s only one right choice. 

3 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Depends on how the entire draft plays out. If they grab Barkley and then the best available OL at the top of the second round I’d be ok with it. If they fleece another QB desperate team for a boatload of picks that would work too. If they take Mayfield, I’d be pissed. If they take Rosen, I’d be somewhat concerned (his attitude is questionable). If they take Allen or Darnold that would be fine. Lots of options and I don’t think there’s only one right choice. 

I don't watch college ball so don't know about the draft prospects other than from what I've heard. I know everyone is raving about the RB but Giants need to get a replacement for Eli

1 hour ago, SBorBust said:

In my head I was saying backup QB top dollar. I was actually surprised to read it back and have it not include 'backup' anywhere.

We are all ridiculously joyful after Foles got the SB MVP, so that signing was ridiculous.

I mean I guess at some point they had to make this kind of move. So a few years they've tried to take a day two QB or a later round guy and it just hasn't worked... So at some point they had to trade up to try and select their guy. 

Mind you I'm surprised a little because I felt Barkley could have been a great choice for the Colts. 

19 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Even if they take a qb with their other two signings, they’ll be paying... 13m$ to all the qbs on their roster for 2018? I don’t disagree with the tactic

On 3/17/2018 at 2:05 PM, bobbywizdum said:

Not really. They can still get to 1,2,4, or 5 pretty easily if need be. 

No, they can't.  The Jets gave up so much means the Browns, Giants also want Qb's.  Trading up to #4 for 4th best Qb would be stupid.

On 3/18/2018 at 11:52 AM, BKLYNYG said:

No, it's not.  You are rebuilding, you take your Qb.  I'm Giants, that's Josh Rosen.

2 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

No, it's not.  You are rebuilding, you take your Qb.  I'm Giants, that's Josh Rosen.

Without question you have to get that potential franchise QB whoever that might be for the Jets. That's where it all starts. 

7 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

They might be able to swing a deal that gets them two additional second round picks this year and a first next year. They can add depth with those second round picks and use the draft capital acquired to move up in next year's draft to get a QB. Gives Eli one more year to play and Webb another year to prove he's worth something. One or more of these guys might end up being a franchise QB, but there's no slam dunk Andrew Luck-type at the top of the draft. That's just one scenario. Taking a QB is also acceptable, but a smart GM keeps all of his options open.

Josh Rosen has Jay Cutler written all over him.  

2 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

They might be able to swing a deal that gets them two additional second round picks this year and a first next year. They can add depth with those second round picks and use the draft capital acquired to move up in next year's draft to get a QB. Gives Eli one more year to play and Webb another year to prove he's worth something. One or more of these guys might end up being a franchise QB, but there's no slam dunk Andrew Luck-type at the top of the draft. That's just one scenario. Taking a QB is also acceptable, but a smart GM keeps all of his options open.

Hey, it's AWESOME by me.  Every year you don't get your next Qb is another year we get to spank the Giants down the road.  You are switching to a 3-4 and you are running in place with the O-Line, but if you want "one more year" with friggin Eli, please, please, please by all means go for it!

8 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

If I had to compare Rosen to somebody recent, I'd go with Carson Palmer or Eli Manning.  Not a great leader, but not a head case either and at the end of the day he is a prototype Qb.

Right now I got the Qb's going like this:

#1 Darnold, Browns

Won't be a great Qb but will be the face of the franchise and starter day 1, Cleveland will love him and he will win games.  He's wonky, but as an athletic version of Bernie Kosar, I like the fit.

#2 Rosen, Giants

He's a prototype Qb just like Eli.  His "entitlement issues" actually better on the G-Men than almost any other team.  Giant fans are Yankee fans, they love an intellectual guy who knows how to order a damn steak and pick his own Cab.  Get over yourself Giants fans, you are not anywhere as gritty as you think you are.

#3 Mayfield, Jets

Now here's a fan base that needs a personality, a true underdawg champion.  Mayfield is parts Namath parts Jim McMahon.  He's a perfect fit.

#5 Allen, Broncos

Huge mistake imho, but somebody is going to make it with this kid.  He's got a lot of Elway in him and Elway reeks of desperation so maybe it's the Broncos.  But it could easily be the Cardinals or the idiotic Jets.  Won't be shocked if the Giants convince themselves they can develop him.   The wild card of the group is Allen imo.

#22 Rudolph, Bills

At this point it's the smart thing to do and the Bills have been very smart so far this offseason.

#29 Jackson, Jacksonville

I love this pick, I really hope some other team doesn't jump in front and ruin this.  It's a great fit for Jags, he will beat Bortles in TC and also a great fit for Jackson because this is the one team that can take full advantage of his skills without worrying about the low ceiling as a passer.

Hey, it's AWESOME by me.  Every year you don't get your next Qb is another year we get to spank the Giants down the road.  You are switching to a 3-4 and you are running in place with the O-Line, but if you want "one more year" with friggin Eli, please, please, please by all means go for it!

The point is there’s more than one way to rebuild a team. It’s not going to happen in one year, so if they don’t love any of the QB prospects they can collect more assets with a trade. If they do then by all means draft Eli’s replacement. Unfortunately none of them are a sure thing. 

If I had to compare Rosen to somebody recent, I'd go with Carson Palmer or Eli Manning.  Not a great leader, but not a head case either and at the end of the day he is a prototype Qb.

Haven’t heard anyone make those comparisons. Personally I want my next QB to be a bit more athletic than Eli. 

10 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Haven’t heard anyone make those comparisons. Personally I want my next QB to be a bit more athletic than Eli. 

Especially behind that O line... I mean sure it's improved a little this summer with Nate but it needs a lot of work.

Personally though I think Rosen or Mayfield are great fits. I don't think Allen or Darnold are.