Sign in to follow this  
skippyx

Jets make their Franchise QB Trade

The Jets traded up to 3rd pick and the Colts move down to 6th pick. Here are the details.

• 6th pick
  • 37th pick
  • 49th pick
  • 2nd rounder next year

These picks usually include next years 1st rounder, but instead they have 2 pretty high 2nd rounders this year. I think this is a great move for Reich to reload a pretty pathetic franchise. I get why the Jets did it to get their franchise QB.

• Do you think it was worth it for the Jets, even if they have to take the 2nd or 3rd QB in this draft (depending on when Barkley goes).
  • Do you think Cleveland should take Barkley at 1, knowing they will still get a blue chip QB at 4, or the 2 best non-QBs in this draft at 1 and 4?
  • Do you think Gettleman and the Giants made a mistake in not taking this deal to move back from 2 to 6?

Jets are so unbelievably desperate, that it's not even funny.

Not sure who they have in mind, but I do hope they hit on the player. Really tired of seeing NE win that division for the past two decades.

I do think this changes how the draft plays out though. I think the Browns were seriously considering the idea of drafting Barkley first, but now it's hard to say.

I have no idea what Jets have talent-wise

How is Jets Oline?

Eagles had a decent Oline before they traded up for Wentz

Who are the qb coach and o-coordinator for the Jets?  I ask because as we have seen with Carson, it helps immensely to have the types of coaches like Defillipo, Reich, and Pederson to groom and mentor the new qb. I mean I hope they don't think that Bowles will groom him because if that's the case, then whoever they draft is doomed.

Another point on this for comparison. It was pretty widely known that the Rams were in love with Goff, so the Eagles had a 98% shot at getting Wentz with that pick.

There is no way the Jets can be sure who will be there at 3.

3 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Who are the qb coach and o-coordinator for the Jets?  I ask because as we have seen with Carson, it helps immensely to have the types of coaches like Defillipo, Reich, and Pederson to groom and mentor the new qb. I mean I hope they don't think that Bowles will groom him because if that's the case, then whoever they draft is doomed.

Good point. There is a world of difference here.

Their head coach is a defensive guy. Todd Bowles.

Their o-coordinator and the QB coach is the same person - Jeremy Bates

Jeremy Bates vs Pederson, Reich, and DeFilippo is not even close.

If Bates is tied to the development of any NFL QB it would be early Cutler in Denver and he is known as a talent who is not refined at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bates_(American_football)

I think this has a chance to be a win-win situation for both teams. 

The Colts get a nice bounty of picks to re-stock their pathetic roster. They also only move down to #6 where they might end up getting the guy they wanted at #3 anyways. 

The Jets carry more risk here, but if they hit on a franchise QB then the picks given up don't matter. 

It's the Jets and the Colts though, so it'll probably end up being a colossal failure for both. 

57 minutes ago, pencil face said:

The Bills are in panic mode, everyone thought they would be trading with the Colts.....

This is great news for us. Foles might be back in play.

The Jets gave up A LOT, but there is no such thing as too much if you get the right QB.

2 hours ago, pencil face said:

The Bills are in panic mode, everyone thought they would be trading with the Colts.....

Not really. They can still get to 1,2,4, or 5 pretty easily if need be. 

Why this is insane: the Eagles, the Redskins, even the Jets 9 years ago knew exactly who they were getting. The Jets today have no idea, it could be Baker, could be Rosen, and there’s a chance that the Browns are smitten with arisen and the Jets end up with Darnold. If it is The likeliest (Baker), he quite possibly would have fallen to them at 6 anyway. For 3 high second round picks? Immediate starters? Awful, awful, awful.

50 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

All Signs point to the Colts trading with them,  you don't trade away your starting QB, starting LT to settle for the 4th or 5th choice QB...this isn't the old Browns they have a real GM, they ain't trading the FIRST....

My team ain't trading the second pick either..

16 minutes ago, pencil face said:

All Signs point to the Colts trading with them,  you don't trade away your starting QB, starting LT to settle for the 4th or 5th choice QB...this isn't the old Browns they have a real GM, they ain't trading the FIRST....

I think the Browns getting Barkley or the 1st QB at 1 and then moving from 4 to 12 for a bunch of picks sounds like the most likely plan if the Bills really want to move up.

1 minute ago, skippyx said:

I think the Browns getting Barkley or the 1st QB at 1 and then moving from 4 to 12 for a bunch of picks sounds like the most likely plan if the Bills really want to move up.

Browns can take QB 1, then hope the Giants don't fall in love with Barkley hype, and still get Barkley at 4...Bills are screwed..they gonna be forced to sit there at 12 and take Lamar Jackson..aka Tyrod 2.0

if the Browns do trade the 4th pick means they chose a QB, also means the Bills gave up a King's Ransom to get the 4th QB,  lol.

As a Giants fan we all know Eli is aging, you don't give up the second pick in the draft and decide to bank it all on a 37 year old QB, Giants are drafting his replacement..

1 hour ago, pencil face said:

How do u on know? Browns could also trade 1 or 4...

It's going to be entertaining hearing the stories after the draft. I can see the Browns and Giants drafting a QB and then the Jets will have to settle with the leftovers. Then the Jets will say, "Oh yes, this is the guy we had our sights set on all along!"

Another strange team.  Why sign 2 QBs in FA to then trade all of that to move up 3 spots for whatever QB the other teams don't take.

Beyond that I wonder if the Eagles would have taken those 3 2nd round picks for Foles.  If so I'd much rather have Foles +6th pick VS their current situation.

50 minutes ago, SBLs_Sold115 said:

Another strange team.  Why sign 2 QBs in FA to then trade all of that to move up 3 spots for whatever QB the other teams don't take.

Beyond that I wonder if the Eagles would have taken those 3 2nd round picks for Foles.  If so I'd much rather have Foles +6th pick VS their current situation.

Mccown=place holder

Bridgewater=back up

Rookie=future

Its much like

Bradford

Daniel

Wentz

13 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

Mccown=place holder

Bridgewater=back up

Rookie=future

Its much like

Bradford

Daniel

Wentz

Which was stupid.  Wentz might have not even played yet if Bridgewater didn't get hurt and Bradford stayed healthy....But Teddy got hurt and turned out to be a homerun.

There is no scenario where the Jets trade either QB for a first and 4th before the season, so it will stay stupid.

Just now, SBLs_Sold115 said:

Which was stupid.  Wentz might have not even played yet if Bridgewater didn't get hurt.

I agree completely. I was against paying bradford and certainly chase. Somehow teams seem to think This was key to our success lol

46 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

Mccown=place holder

Bridgewater=back up

Rookie=future

Its much like

Bradford

Daniel

Wentz

I disagree entirely. We made that trade because we KNEW it was Wentz. We fell in love with one guy, we knew the depths of his character, his leadership, his skillset, and we did what we had to in order to make sure no one else got him. The whole point of this being stupid is it’s equivalent to 

Bradford

Daniel

GofforWentzorLynch

the Jets have finished their scouting and detailed management dumpster diving to conclude they don’t really care who falls to them. The Eagles, Colts, Browns, Giants, even Cowboys will scout and document and discuss and evaluate all the way up to 10 minutes before their pick.

These are three(or4) wildly different players with dramatically different personalities and play styles that translate into trajectories that go all over the map. The jets have given up on their scouting department completely and have proclaimed, ‘We don’t care anymore, they’re all the same, we’ll take whoever you don’t. Whatever.’

5 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

Not sure I’d say they can trade up to 1-2 pretty easily. Coming all the way from 12 would pretty much take their whole draft. Both 1s and both 2s and more. 4-5 would be easier but the guy they want could be gone by then.